Heist Hinderer Achieve Dry Top - Poor design

in Living World

Posted by: Calixtus.8617

Calixtus.8617

I have no problem with the event or location of the event but putting an achieve on this event in Dry Top is ill thought out.

The event scales up due to people being afk, people using the merchants, or just WP through after a jump death or two!

I have done this event over 20 times and yet to get the achieve. It is out of my control to get the achieve due to its location and randomness of people being around the WP but with no interest in doing the event.

My only hope is a major zerg happens to be on at the same time I am.

Please do not put achieves on events next to a major waypoint like the repair station.

in Living World

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I got it by taking the waypoint and getting hit by a mob as it ended.

in Living World

Calixtus.8617

So it was random how you got the achieve.

in Living World

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Oh, I haven’t even bothered getting the achievements in Dry Tops since they’re permanent and don’t give me anything but AP. Just wanted to kind of point out how it can be silly.

Try joining a T5/6 Dry Tops, they’re advertised in LFG.

in Living World

Posted by: Arctinus.7824

Arctinus.7824

I got the achievement today, also after around 20 or so tries. -.- The only difference is that this time there was a commander. I guess the whole group going around doing events to raise the favour was following the commander.

Besides this time I’ve only seen the event finish with 0/10 once (missed by a few seconds) and I think there was also a commander amongst the players.

They should do something about scaling. Maybe that it scales according to the number of players actually attacking the mobs, I don’t know. :/

in Living World

Posted by: Zenon.4328

Zenon.4328

I have gotten the achievement, but the problem I find with this event is actually greed, and I’m not talking about the skritts.

When too many people are doing this event, the enemies do get scale up to Elites and Champions, and then people totally ignore the skritt thieves and just focus on the Champions even when it isn’t a Champion Skritt Thief.

in Living World

Arctinus.7824

Yes, I’ve noticed that too. I think ANet put them there intentionally, obviously. Otherwise they’d just put there thieves and it’d be easy. But now there’s need of organizing and concentrating on thieves while avoiding other Skritt.

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

I have gotten the achievement, but the problem I find with this event is actually greed, and I’m not talking about the skritts.

When too many people are doing this event, the enemies do get scale up to Elites and Champions, and then people totally ignore the skritt thieves and just focus on the Champions even when it isn’t a Champion Skritt Thief.

I’ve seen the focus on Champions, but either they burn quickly or there’s other people actually stopping the Thieves.

I often wonder what it is from Champion bags that drives these farmers mad. Boss Blitz levels of loot I understand, but piecemeal like this..

in Living World

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I got mines by telling people to just use immobilize on the champ thieves and traiting my warrior so that I had 3-4 immobilizes and knockbacks. Just need some coordination, there’s only 2 exits so it’s not that bad if you can get people to cooperate.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in Living World

Posted by: Pwnflakes.2498

Pwnflakes.2498

That event is so annoying, I can’t even get it due to all the up scaling from the idle players. Four Elite Skritt Thieves spawned at the start of the event, even more while we tried to finish it but it also seems to be a bit buggy cause those Elites are not slowed down when they are being attacked and just seem to sprint when trying to kill them.
My last event and it’s impossible unless there are tons of zerging the event.

in Living World

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Missed this by about 4 seconds last night….Elite Thief and more than ONE Ranger actually knocking him CLOSER to the skrit hole…. LEARN to use knockback properly people!

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Living World

Arctinus.7824

Missed this by about 4 seconds last night….Elite Thief and more than ONE Ranger actually knocking him CLOSER to the skrit hole…. LEARN to use knockback properly people!

One time I was doing the event one some of the players knocked the Skritt in the opposite direction of the camp, so it was actually flying towards the Skritt Hole. xD

in Living World

Pwnflakes.2498

Just tried it again, 50+ people at the Geode Merchant and only 5 total were actually trying to do the event. Lost the Achievement in 20 seconds when there were 6+ Elite Skritt Thieves Sprinting!

in Living World

Calixtus.8617

Glad to see I am not the only one unhappy. It is not the event itself that concerns me just the positioning with all the non interested players scaling the event up.

in Living World

Pwnflakes.2498

Just got a group together and we were doing well til someone decided to keep yelling “Champ over here!” Spamming it until all but 3 people were defending one side and they were more concern about the Champ that they let the Skritt walk right by them when we had 20 seconds to go. All for what? A crappy Champ bag? It’s so disappointing. There were literally like 50 of them on that one side and they managed to screw us all over. And don’t get me started on the “Commanders” of the Zerg train talking crap about how we were trying to do that one single event instead of joining the train.
Spent the last 7 hours trying to do this event perfectly.

in Living World

Posted by: Stormy Dragon.9210

Stormy Dragon.9210

It’s actually easy once you know the secret to winning: when you set the Skritt Thieves on fire, they drop the supplies they’re carrying.

in Living World

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

I’ve done this one but still haven’t completed the Sand Shield one which I think is considerably harder to get as no one does it.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

in Living World

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Announce in chat about 3 minutes before either event starts and you’ll get tons of people who want to do it properly for the achievement.

in Living World

Calixtus.8617

Tried that loads of times Fluffball. But as a previous poster said people then get Champitus and ignore the thieves.

in Living World

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Closest I’ve gotten is 1:30, then a Champ Thief spawned.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It’s annoying, I’ll agree, but on the bright side, this event is here to stay forever. Eventually, as interest in Dry Top dies down, the event will scale up less and it should be much easier to obtain.

in Living World

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I’ve managed it too, but only once players there used more cripples, chills and immobilize conditions.

Immobilizing the thieves is the key, atleast with Warrior (Dual sword/Longbow and Throw Bolas skill) with atleast +50% condition duration, one could immobilize thieves for about 20 seconds, long enough for simpleminded DPS players to kill.

Othervise majority focus on dps and fail to kill the Skritt Thieves due to scale up…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

in Living World

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

So it was random how you got the achieve.

Same for me. Weird how that works out sometimes.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

in Living World

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

Almost two years later and it’s still impossible to get this achievement. I’ve been trying it in groups of various size but it’s still impossible to gather enough DPS to kill the thieves when three or four people are standing AFK at the waypoint.

It doesn’t help to ask or even beg to leave it because people love to grief in this game. Nothing beats the satisfaction of undermining someone’s sweating.

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You probably should have made a new thread with a link to this thread in your OP to avoid necro issues.

That said, I thought I’d never get the achieve. Even when Dry Top was new and people were actively working on achieving everything that one was just too hard. Then daily events rolled around one day a month or two ago to do four events in Dry Top, and I happened to join the battle against the skritt, and dang! Achieve got! It was quite a zerg, too, so a few afkers were not likely to add any further scaling.

So look for that on the daily rotation and see if you luck into a group of people actively trying to succeed.

in Living World

holodoc.5748

You probably should have made a new thread with a link to this thread in your OP to avoid necro issues.

If I did that it would have only been merged with this topic by the mods.

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s done easily with just 2-3 players. It helps to have classes with a lot of CC if you lack DPS. You can also look for organized runs which normally succeed that event without losing anything.

Check below for the twitter feed of someone who runs that map regularly. They just did a run last night. This may be your best bet to complete that achievement.

https://mobile.twitter.com/drytopsand?lang=en

Oh, I should mention that this is for NA.

in Living World

holodoc.5748

It’s done easily with just 2-3 players.

It’s not done easily if you have AFK players on the nearby waypoint which scale the DPS required to kill the thieves ridiculously high. You can have all the CC you want it’s not enough to prevent the next thief which spawns right on top of the dropped package to carry it away. /gg

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

It’s done easily with just 2-3 players.

It’s not done easily if you have AFK players on the nearby waypoint which scale the DPS required to kill the thieves ridiculously high. You can have all the CC you want it’s not enough to prevent the next thief which spawns right on top of the dropped package to carry it away. /gg

Which can be said for any event that gets scaled up. Still doesn’t change that the event can be done with 2-3 players.

in Living World

holodoc.5748

Which can be said for any event that gets scaled up.

If events get scaled up its usually not because of inactive players which stand AFK on a waypoint in the middle of the event.

Which can be said for any event that gets scaled up. Still doesn’t change that the event can be done with 2-3 players.

And I am going to repeat it again, the event is doable with any number of players as long as there are no AFK people standing on the waypoint in the middle of it, which raises the DPS requirement for killing thieves almost exponentially (I am going to use a DPS meter just to see how badly the event scales).

Event scaling has always been almost as bad as the problem it tried to solve in this game.

in Living World

Posted by: Katastroff.1045

Katastroff.1045

Why is that WP not contested like in any other events ?

(Been trying for that achieve a few times myself)

Why simplify things when its so easy to complicate them ?

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

Which can be said for any event that gets scaled up.

If events get scaled up its usually not because of inactive players which stand AFK on a waypoint in the middle of the event.

The chances if an AFK scaling an event is the same as any other event. Just because some may be more prone to that doesn’t change this.

And I am going to repeat it again, the event is doable with any number of players as long as there are no AFK people standing on the waypoint in the middle of it, which raises the DPS requirement for killing thieves almost exponentially (I am going to use a DPS meter just to see how badly the event scales).

Event scaling has always been almost as bad as the problem it tried to solve in this game.

Just did it with 6 people actively playing and two people AFK. Only two of us were actually focusing on the thieves and DPS wasn’t an issue.

Also,

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dynamic_event#Event_scaling

in Living World

holodoc.5748

The chances if an AFK scaling an event is the same as any other event. Just because some may be more prone to that doesn’t change this.

That’s not even remotely true. Dry Top is a small map with a permanent meta rotation which means there is ALWAYS someone AFK on the Repair station waypoint, even if they just want to leech events for geodes (which is a really easy thing to do considering how close the waypoint is). Put a pet on aggressive guard or raise a necro golem and you got yourself guaranteed geodes every hour.

Just did it with 6 people actively playing and two people AFK. Only two of us were actually focusing on the thieves and DPS wasn’t an issue.

Also,

Now I am not sure that you even understand what’s the issue I am talking about. It’s not about successfully finishing the event, it’s about preventing skritt from taking ANY supplies with them. At the end of the event the status indicator needs to show 0/10 supplies stolen.

In the end I don’t care anymore. Just kitten the achievement. There simply has to be something completely effed up in a design which makes it possible for someone to make more than fifty attempts during the last two years with various groups and still fail.

/end

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

That’s not even remotely true. Dry Top is a small map with a permanent meta rotation which means there is ALWAYS someone AFK on the Repair station waypoint, even if they just want to leech events for geodes (which is a really easy thing to do considering how close the waypoint is). Put a pet on aggressive guard or raise a necro golem and you got yourself guaranteed geodes every hour.

Also,

Now I am not sure that you even understand what’s the issue I am talking about. It’s not about successfully finishing the event, it’s about preventing skritt from taking ANY supplies with them. At the end of the event the status indicator needs to show 0/10 supplies stolen.

In the end I don’t care anymore. Just kitten the achievement. There simply has to be something completely effed up in a design which makes it possible for someone to make more than fifty attempts during the last two years with various groups and still fail.

/end

It is true. Any event can be scaled equally by AFK players if those players contributed to the scaling. Some may be more prone to getting scaled over others but that has zero impact on what I just said.

I was addressing your statement about DPS being an issue. I’m not sure why you had to change what I was addressing and then claim that I’m not understanding the issue. This is evident by your post that I quoted which had nothing to do about successfully completing the event. I did the event with 8 people playing and only two focusing the thieves. DPS was not an issue between the two of us.

in Living World

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

This thread looks like it was made when Dry Top was still new and populated.

in Living World

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I have no problem with the event or location of the event but putting an achieve on this event in Dry Top is ill thought out.

The event scales up due to people being afk, people using the merchants, or just WP through after a jump death or two!

I have done this event over 20 times and yet to get the achieve. It is out of my control to get the achieve due to its location and randomness of people being around the WP but with no interest in doing the event.

My only hope is a major zerg happens to be on at the same time I am.

Please do not put achieves on events next to a major waypoint like the repair station.

If that’s the “stopping the skritt thieves from stealing a single supply crate” achievement: I did it with the help of two guild mates and by creating and advertising a squad in Dry Top. You wouldn’t believe how many people came running. We managed to do this achievement on the first attempt.

Edit: You just need the group to split into two, each guarding one of the gates. That way, with a total of 12+ people, you will easily defend the supplies from the skritt thieves.

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

in Living World

holodoc.5748

Another attempt. Four people, myself included, manage to bring down the event to 0:45 with no lost supplies.

Then someone posts the repair station waypoint in map chat. In a matter of seconds there are 10+ people standing on top of it. Two thieves appear to pick up a supply next to me and suddenly a combination of air overload (+10% DPS) followed with an Ice storm and a fully buffed range of fire skills on my full zerk ele is not enough to kill either of them!

That’s how badly thought out the whole event scaling thing is! There is absolutely no argument that could excuse an immediate jump in DPS requirements just because 10+ decided to show up in a matter of seconds on a waypoint which is influencing the event.

That was my last attempt to get the achievement. There will be no more because I am sick of other people negatively influencing my experience with the game no matter how much time and energy I pour into it.