How much story in each patch?

in Living World

Posted by: Finnway.2183

Finnway.2183

Q:

ArenaNet uses TV as a comparison for the Living Story. But right now each Living Story patch arguably has less “story” than a 30 minute TV episode.

Q. Would you follow a TV series if it only had one new, 30 minute episode every month?

Q. How much “story” does each bi-weekly patch need to have in order to keep you interested? Use a TV series as a comparison.

This game is not about out-DPSing you. It’s about out-flashing you.

in Living World

Posted by: Dreadforce.6980

Dreadforce.6980

The issue seems to be the frequency of each patch only allows so much and each patch team works alone. I don’t watch much t.v and to compare you get just about as much story in each episode of a t.v series as you do in a patch

in Living World

Posted by: Finnway.2183

Finnway.2183

I don’t watch much t.v and to compare you get just about as much story in each episode of a t.v series as you do in a patch

I disagree, because in every TV episode you have conflict and resolution. The Living Story sometimes introduces conflict in one patch and resolves it in the next one. Also, purely looking at the amount of dialogue there is not nearly as much dialogue in one patch as there is in a 30 minute TV series. Sometimes there is not even as much in two patches as there is in a 30 minute TV episode.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I just felt like sharing my own opinion.

This game is not about out-DPSing you. It’s about out-flashing you.

in Living World

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

However it is, the amount of story in “Living STORY” is by far insufficient.

Each update has at best 10 minutes of worthwhile story, with rest being repetition of action.
So not only the “story” is lacking, but action content itself is very short, and artificially fattened by repeating it over and over for achievements/loot.

An example or few:

Nightmare Tower, both updates: in first update you find out that Krait are up to something. There was a short interactive cut scene, with less than 20 lines of dialogue, maybe more if you use a big font. Then it proceeded to a content that could be done in about 2 hours MAX while eating a sandwich (and I mean every iteration of posible events), before having to repeat actions.

In second update: You climb the tower to find out that scarlet was behind it all along and she no longer has any use of the krait and NC (surprise!).
Pretty much same situation.

Basically, since Bazaar it is the same situation every two week,s with story getting scarcer and scarcer every time.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

That is very much incorrect.
I don’t know what kind of series you watch but more or less every single one I have seen does not have conflict and resolution. I suppose it would be true with a series like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D where each episode is quite self-contained, but in series that does have an over-arching story (such as the Living Story in GW2) there very uncommon to have conflict and resolution in every single episode.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

TV series normally ends with some kind of plot twist at the end of each episode which keeps you excited for more. “Scarlet ran away” ending is just so played out by now… We want some lore, some tiny drip of info that would keep us interested.

in Living World

Posted by: Dreadforce.6980

Dreadforce.6980

I don’t watch much t.v and to compare you get just about as much story in each episode of a t.v series as you do in a patch

I disagree, because in every TV episode you have conflict and resolution. The Living Story sometimes introduces conflict in one patch and resolves it in the next one. Also, purely looking at the amount of dialogue there is not nearly as much dialogue in one patch as there is in a 30 minute TV series. Sometimes there is not even as much in two patches as there is in a 30 minute TV episode.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I just felt like sharing my own opinion.

No offense taken. I just don’t watch much t.v

in Living World

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

ArenaNet uses TV as a comparison for the Living Story. But right now each Living Story patch arguably has less “story” than a 30 minute TV episode.

Each episode has few dialogs and a cutscene… That’s not even close to 30 minutes. It’s more like 5 minutes.