Hungry Hal

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

Hi there, quick question on the Hungry Hal achievement for Raising Flames episode, do I really have to get the apples 1 by 1, 50 times? Am I missing something here?

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Indeed, you do.

Good luck.

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You’re not missing anything. You have to do 1 apple at a time. I don’t think the achievement was meant to be grind. That is, there are dailies on the island anyway. People farm stuff there. So if you do a couple every time you go there, by the end of 25 times, you have an achievement.

It took me a couple of months to get it done, and I never felt it was a grind because I didn’t care that it took a couple of months.

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Its not hard. Its not skill. Its just drag

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

I’m out of words… I’d love to know what was the reason for that particular number of apples, or what purpose it serves.

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If a person does one, or two apples a day, it serves the purpose of content that lasts more than 1 or 2 days. Like most content in MMOs.

There’s no rush to get it done; take your time, it’s not going anywhere. It’s a very easy Mastery Point and title.

Good luck.

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

If a person does one, or two apples a day, it serves the purpose of content that lasts more than 1 or 2 days. Like most content in MMOs.

There’s no rush to get it done; take your time, it’s not going anywhere. It’s a very easy Mastery Point and title.

Good luck.

You are right it is quite easy. Its also quite tedious/boring which is why I haven’t done it. I do disagree with your premise that this is content that lasts more than 1 or 2 days though. Under your argument, HoT story can last for several weeks if you intentionally hold yourself back and only complete 1 instance a day or 1 chapter a week. That doesn’t mean that the content itself was meaty enough to actually keep people interested and pursuing it for 4 weeks.

If Anet’s goal with this was to give us content that took more than a few minutes I think this is the wrong way to go about doing that.

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m out of words… I’d love to know what was the reason for that particular number of apples, or what purpose it serves.

It was apparently meant to be a joke about a really boring quest in another game. Joke fell flat, people in GW2 went nuts grinding the chieve instead of doing it slowly over time. (I’m not sure why ANet thought we’d react any differently; human beings often exhibit human behaviors.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

It was apparently meant to be a joke about a really boring quest in another game. Joke fell flat, people in GW2 went nuts grinding the chieve instead of doing it slowly over time. (I’m not sure why ANet thought we’d react any differently; human beings often exhibit human behaviors.)

I felt that most of the outrage was over the fact that some people were allowed to cheese this achievement through a glitch and then ANet patched that glitch but didn’t take away the achievement from those players. Its meant to be a long and slow achievement, so some players felt cheated that others got to do it for almost no effort/time involved

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I felt that most of the outrage was over the fact that some people were allowed to cheese this achievement through a glitch and then ANet patched that glitch but didn’t take away the achievement from those players. Its meant to be a long and slow achievement, so some players felt cheated that others got to do it for almost no effort/time involved

Oh, well, that wasn’t my interpretation of the 87 threads here and reddit posts on the topic. Yeah, some were also and/or additionally miffed at missing out on the easy cheeze, but most were talking about how it was horrid design, some said that whoever designed it should be fired, and a few other comments were far worse.

(Remember that the JP was also glitched so that it could be cheezed by a couple of mesmer teleports. The JP design didn’t get nearly the same level of ire.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Hi there, quick question on the Hungry Hal achievement for Raising Flames episode, do I really have to get the apples 1 by 1, 50 times? Am I missing something here?

Unfortunately, they fixed the exploit where you could finish the achievement in just one delivery.

And yes, it does drag on forever and is one of the least fun achievements to do.

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I think I stumbled onto the intended delivery method last night.

Above the mountain, between each of the apple trees is a network of ley lines. You can use these to zip between the trees to get to one that still has fruit. You then continue around the circle until you find a faint ley line heading back north towards the carnival camp. It ends suspiciously short of the lava tube heading northwest.

Fall from the height to the lava tube. Hop in and jet into the next lava tube. Midway after the next launch you can pop your glider and head over to Hal and deliver the apple.

From there, glide over to the sloth feeding grounds and hop the lava tube going south. Glide just before you hit the ground so you don’t enter the next lava tube. Two mushroom bounces later, you’re back up on the mountain riding ley lines to get apples. Blather, wince, repeat.

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

The easiest way I found was to complete the heart, grab your apple, and talk to the ring master. She will teleport you to the location above her with the dawrven artifact where you can jump off and glide over to Hal.

Hungry Hal

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

There are two locations to get the apples:

• West of Hungry Hal near the premium area
  • South of Hungry Hal where the Sloth collection event is located

The apples are based on the map instance so you can remove the wait time by hopping onto another. Of course this map be more difficult nowadays as there may not be enough people to spawn multiple maps.