I am Beyond Impressed... Speechless

in Living World

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

This is coming straight from the shoulder of a Living Story Hater. Specifically:

o Amazing use of Media. Leah, the team got it right. The use of cut scenes, vistas, NPC dialog is nothing short of masterful.

o The Art. Wonderful execution of terrain design, textures, background animations give me the impression that this is vast unexplored area. Kudos to the most unknown group at ArenaNet: The Art Department. A fitting expansion to the most beautiful MMO on the market.

o It’s not Cursed Shore. A fantastic blend of Story, Events and Exploration.

Colin, please extend my hand in patting Leah and the team on the back for the single most amazing addition to date.

It’s as if everyone has embraced the idea of Fun in a unified vision.

Absolutely brilliant. Much applause to all!

in Living World

Posted by: Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

I was getting a bit worried that the game was losing me with LS. Still am slightly, but much less, this episode is just fantastic.

Love the map, love the mechanics, love the new music and the missions and the use of lore and the art and I can’t fault a kitten thing. Best episode yet.

in Living World

Posted by: Sir Egil The Bull.7869

Sir Egil The Bull.7869

I gave up on the Living Story during “Entanglement”, but after reading these posts, now I want to continue & see the Library & Glint.

(edited by Sir Egil The Bull.7869)

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I disagree, I thought that was an excellent excuse to explain some stuff that was only in the books, or in GW1. It was important to get all of the information out of the way, so everyone is up to speed.

You only need to spout exposition if the story has failed to pave the way with enough information, it shows that the writing team is still struggling to put together all their eclectic story arcs into one cohesive narrative. Arena Net had plenty of opportunity to seed the lore and knowledge required to understand the events happening to the player character in previous updates.

That said, it was much better than Ela Makkay during A Moment’s Peace, which is a testament to Arena Nets improvement in the writing department between the two seasons.

Do not get me wrong, I love most things about this update, but nothing is perfect.

“Go on.”

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Living World

Posted by: Calixtus.8617

Calixtus.8617

Best Patch ever guys. Thank you

Love that on the achieves you don’t have to redo the whole story – great touch
New map – great constant content – time slips by in there.
The Archives – excellent and I think this could be expanded on further
Glints Lair – masterstroke absolutely stunning.
Some interesting new mechanics and regular loot

Keep up the great work – you have set the bar very high with this patch.

in Living World

Posted by: vectorfox.6894

vectorfox.6894

This has definitely been one of my top 3 patches ever since gw2 has been released. The story was amazing and the amount of work they have done in this patch has been phenomenal i really appreciated.

although
I think there is a little more lore-ish type things they could do. I would love to see the npc’s actually be tough in some way or use racial benefits they have like Norn changing into their forms and actually doing damage and being hard to kill instead of using swords and what not in battle, also Sylvari using plant turrets or Asura running around with golems.

Other wise, keep going on with what you are doing, its amazing!

in Living World

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Yes! This was an amazing experience. I’m glad that so many people said the same thing… it’s nice to know that when they finally did knock the ball out of the park, there were so many people who felt the same way I did. That Durmand Priory room was so fantastic. I mean… I’ve replayed that mission JUST to walk through that room and read everything. It was great! And then glint’s lair….. it reminded me of, well I don’t know if anybody else played this, but in FFXI when you finally got to SEA, the land of the gods and that game’s unbeatable boss, Absolute Virtue.

Thanks ANET! That was a great experience. I’m sure it’s tough because you guys want to create your own game in GW2, but when you go back to GW1 like that, it reminds me why I picked GW2 in the first place. Thanks a ton.

in Living World

Posted by: Levian.7683

Levian.7683

This is the best GW2 patch!!!
Season 2 is really good!

Can You Keep a Secret?

in Living World

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

As a long time devotee of GW1, this has been one of the best experiences I’ve ever had in a video game.

Thank you.

I admit, since the September feature pack, I’ve had a serious dive in my GW2 activity/interest and was playing another new AAA MMO which shall forever remain unnamed/uninstalled, and at one point I felt I was slipping away from GW2.

Then this patch came along, motivation is renewed tenfold or more, loving it all both in terms of GW2 and as a former GW1 player in particular. Just so much to enjoy and well, yeah, speechless in the end. So I’ll summarise it briefly…

Thank you!

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Living World

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

Season 2 is really good!

I agree…I’m having a blast, it’s been a while since I had this much fun with GW2.

in Living World

Posted by: beyonder.9735

beyonder.9735

I mean I would almost be speechless. I grew up on gw1. the reason I even bought gw2 was because of the flawless universe they have created story/lore wise. gw1 was known for having those epic moments you can remember and the game made you feel that your actions and everything you did every step of the way was important and always left you (me) wanting more. sure there has been some years since i played the original and i might have forgotten some things but boy let me tell this patch is BY FAR the best thing i have seen come into the game and this isnt to down play any of the hard work people might have put into other releases. its just that this patch has rekindled my flame for this game story wise leaving me wanting more like the past. All i have to say is for me going into Glints lair was too nostalgic for me i literally caught goosebumps choked up and almost teared up. Thank You Arenanet <3

Mesmer – Geekin The Visage
Necro – Mavaldo Gravemore [StaR]

in Living World

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Whoever decided to create an homage to Thief needs a raise.

in Living World

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Whoever decided to create an homage to Thief needs a raise.

It was very reminiscent of the Keeper Library.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Living World

Posted by: Thomas.3890

Thomas.3890

non-gemstore armor, gw1 references, new area, … what`s not to love. This is definitely a step in the right direction in my book.

in Living World

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Can’t wait for you guys to see Episode 6.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in Living World

Posted by: drake.2135

drake.2135

Are you saying that because you want to see our reaction, or you already know what episode 6 is and pretty much know already that we will like it and are just teasing us?

“The beginning is the beginning. The end is also the beginning.”
~Drake from Blackgate

in Living World

Posted by: Bygjobs.7513

Bygjobs.7513

+1000 to all the previous comments
I’ve been playing GW1 since a month after it started
and the current LS is a fantastic rememberance
as soon as I entered Glints lair, I thought just thought WOW

Awesome job Devs :-)

in Living World

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

Character dialogue was great, the size and bustle going on in the SilverWastes camp was excellent, the voice acting was exceptional and the lore influenced story was a pleasure to play and read through.

Well done, very well done.

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Darling, you are such a tease. But I am really looking forward to the next episode. Both me and the snowman will be playing through it together.

in Living World

Dondarrion.2748

So… in another nod to your heritage, we get to travel to the Underworld to save Rytlock?
Terrorweb dryders, dream riders, reapers (why else would we suddenly have the Avatar of Death finisher :P) galore as we revisit one of our favourite dungeons of old GW1, now updated to see us come to Rytlock’s aid uniting the Ghosts of Ascalon who are trapped there and free them of the Foefire curse once and for all, both in the Underworld and above ground…

Hmm, I live in the hope, but I’m sure Anet has something great planned too if it’s not this

in Living World

Posted by: Thiagugu.9682

Thiagugu.9682

Why must you tease us this way? Why?!?!?!?!? At least the trailer later today will satisfy my curiousity…

“Don’t be discouraged, darling. You can’t help being inferior.”

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

So… in another nod to your heritage, we get to travel to the Underworld to save Rytlock?
Terrorweb dryders, dream riders, reapers (why else would we suddenly have the Avatar of Death finisher :P) galore as we revisit one of our favourite dungeons of old GW1, now updated to see us come to Rytlock’s aid uniting the Ghosts of Ascalon who are trapped there and free them of the Foefire curse once and for all, both in the Underworld and above ground…

Thanks for getting my hopes up!

in Living World

Posted by: NathanH.1465

NathanH.1465

I agree that this update was much better then the ones we got before. ^^
The only real issue I see is that there are now 2 major necro npc that wield a greatsword and yet my necro can’t use any greatsword.
(can you at least check that the npc knows how to use the weapons you give them :p )

in Living World

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Oh man that last mission.

• Fun mechanics
  • They brought back that amazing song from the Crystal Desert
  • Jaw dropping artwork/map design
  • An overwhelming desire to stop and smell the roses

For the first time in GW2 I REALLY got that “this is the sequel” feeling.
Also I like the priory a lot more now.

Best mission ever.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

in Living World

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Hidden Arcana is my favourite bit of story in the entire game so far.

When I do the story I’m sort-of role-playing and my Order of Whispers Lightbringer was extremely impressed (although she wouldn’t admit it) both with the stuff the Priory had gotten their hands on and the layers and range of security they used to keep it hidden. I was genuinely surprised both in character and out and now would love to see what the two Orders could achieve if they had time to combine their records and resources and experiment properly.

Secondly I loved all the trivia, easter eggs and cool hidden things. Even the carpets had surprises. I must have spent 2 hours just wandering (and wondering) in the library trying to find everything.

But Glint’s Lair was hands down the best bit. The combination of nostalgia and how absolutely stunning the new version is really blew me away. Plus the fight mechanics were really interesting.

My only complain is that I used to think the GW1 version was beautiful but after this I think it’s just going to look a bit sparse and flat. Still a fun mission but not as pretty.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Living World

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

Season 2 is really good!

I agree…I’m having a blast, it’s been a while since I had this much fun with GW2.

I take it back, it’s not fun anymore, did it/done it, won’t be back. Anet, you can stop patting yourself on the back now. Silverwaste is now pretty much empty and boring.

in Living World

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I gave up on the LS half way through Season 1 cause I found it dumb and full of tedious things to do. My wife convinced me to go try out the new map since I am an avid WvWer. Finally some PvE worth my time.

As for the actual story and the instances, still no great master piece but it’s much much better. I just wish we could skip all the dialog when you go back for the achieves. I know there is no culinary application for bloodstone dust. Why do I have to stand there and listen to it over and over again?

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Living World

Posted by: Teratus.2859

Teratus.2859

I’ve had a very love hate relationship with Guildwars 2 and especially the Living world..

I have loved the Idea of the Living world but since it has started there has been very little content that I have enjoyed that much

I’ve been a big fan of Guildwars 1 and im definitely interested in replaying through the entire game and expansions with friends thanks to this latest patch

but Guildwars 2 has left a hole..
I’ve felt very very little connection between the two games since I started playing..
granted the base lore is there but it’s only really seemed to be a framework for short stories here and there..

the first year of living world felt like a complete mess of random events that were tied together under Scarlet in the end but despite some memorable moments it was really disappointing overall and confusing
the big attack on Lions arch at the end though was great and I loved that
specially when the story started to head into the Elder Dragons which is what I’d been waiting for all along

This second year has been a definite improvement by far and these new episodes are getting better and better as they go
and now that a ton of Guildwars 1 lore has finally been thrown in I am excited to hell to see where this is all going

We’ve got Glint’s egg, Ogden, Glint’s Lair, many books regarding Gw1 lore, mentions of Seers Forgotten and Murzaat which are races I am dying to see return to Gw2, Abbadon has been popping up lately which gets me really hyped considering how important he was in Gw1 to the story..

Echos of the Past has been a dream come true for us Gw1 fans
It has been sheer bliss to finally have this connection to Gw1 that we have been dying for since the Living world season 1 started and I am hoping now more than ever that Gw1 lore continues to play a vital part in future living world content

if Gw2’s living world continues on this path then the Living world Story is going to become absolutely epic
keep up the great work Anet ^^
you guys are definitely taking this game in the right direction now and right now I am one very satisfied fan

in Living World

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

Some of the encounters in Glint’s Lair were arduous with the fragile shield, etc. But I really enjoyed Canach’s portion with the roaming groups of mordrem wolves and the bomb mechanic. It felt much more like the old Guild Wars we know and love so well. This is easily my favorite of the Living Story releases so far. The library collection was incredibly detailed and fun to explore. It was great being able to read all those books with simplified portions of Tyria’s history. I hope we can see more content like this in the future, it was a lot of fun overall. It was cool hearing Ogden’s voice actor again. Lots of great nostalgia.

Although I find it a bit strange that we saw Glint’s baby alive and kicking in EOTN but now we only have one egg left intact….

(edited by Zhaneel.9208)

in Living World

Posted by: Amplifiction.8413

Amplifiction.8413

Add me to the list of people who love Echoes of the Past. It’s probably the best chapter yet.
The story was lovely, seeing old and new facts add up. (Speaking as a GW1 fan and as someone who played through previous Living World chapters.) The last part was visually stunning.
And The Silverwastes… Downright addictive! I love how it’s one big war zone, filled with offensive and defensive missions. Nice incorporation of WvW elements too! I did end up with an awful lot of Twisters in a Jar, though

(edited by Amplifiction.8413)

in Living World

Posted by: Spawne.3128

Spawne.3128

The only thing I can honestly say since I came back to play this update is that the story and “things to do” with each update has improved significantly. As far as a point to all of it, the rewards are still mediocre at best, and there is still no “wow” factor loot or reward to any of it. The new armor is boring and just shows an overall lack of imagination still from its designer. All in all at the end of the day after playing for 45 minutes, its the same game, different day, and I find myself repeating the same things over and over again for overly complicated crafting rewards. Oh how Id love to have a twilight sword, but I will never invest the time to get one.

in Living World

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

Adding my voice to the “impressed” crowd. This patch drew me back to the game after months of apathy. From the excellent event design/artwork of The Silverwastes to the many lore throwbacks to GW1 (something that the other patches were sorely lacking), everything was incredibly enjoyable. Entering Glint’s lair and hearing the Crystal Oasis remix sent shivers down my spine. I must have stood at the entrance to the instance just soaking in the view and music for ages. It was a brilliant gift to GW1 veterans. I really hope future patches continue this trend of taking advantage of all the amazing lore still left open-ended in GW1. Thank, ANet.

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

in Living World

Posted by: Icealen.3802

Icealen.3802

So much good nostalgia in this storyline from GW1…Ogden…Glint’s Lair…a baby dragon egg…seeing these really made me remember how much enjoyment I got during my years playing GW1.

I like flashbacks…and this was a really good flashback experience.

Thank you.

:)

in Living World

Dondarrion.2748

This theory was a stretch, I must admit, but having seen Anet go the lengths with their revisit to Glint’s Lair in Ep. 5, I have faith they can do it.

Who knows, I certainly hope there’s a little rescue action in the Mists of Rytlock for this next chapter and that we get to see some cool locations we’re all nostalgic about from GW1

in Living World

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

This theory was a stretch, I must admit, but having seen Anet go the lengths with their revisit to Glint’s Lair in Ep. 5, I have faith they can do it.

Who knows, I certainly hope there’s a little rescue action in the Mists of Rytlock for this next chapter and that we get to see some cool locations we’re all nostalgic about from GW1

Going to the Underworld to save Rytlock would be monumental and I think I would jump for joy. Another theory would be go to the mists and meet Razah again which I’d be equally excited about.

In any case, I want to add my voice to the many here about this episode. It has everything one could want from a LS addition and was extremely well put together. I’m very much looking forward to its continuation and think all involved should get a bonus for their work on this one!

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Living World

Posted by: Tyncale.1629

Tyncale.1629

I would like to add my praise about this update. I was extremely impressed with how the last zone looked, with the crystals. It reminded me of the Jade Sea, not necessarily how it looked, but how magical it felt. Environments in GW and GW2 are already the most immersive that I know off in any MMO, but you guys keep surpassing yourselves.

Looking forward to the next episode.

in Living World

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

Just came back for the new LS after having started with RIFT 1 month ago…the question I’m asking myself after finishing the current episode: why the kittening kitten have I even started with Rift? Rift has litterly nothing that comes even close to what was offered here in terms of quality content. The artwork is a masterpiece…just wow wow wow! And that library…by Ogden’s hammer…that kittening amazing library!

10/10 points!

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

in Living World

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

I also love the designs for the new mordrem. There’s this leafy mantis/dragon looking creature with a skull like head embedded at the top that looks incredible. That thing does a ton of damage which is awesome, but also looks deadly too.