I dislike paying for season 2

in Living World

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I agree, I’ts stupid that we have to pay 200 Gems to play each chapter. Some people don’t live by their computer and wouldn’t have the time to sign in. If it was free for that day of signing in then it should be free forever.

You had two weeks, sometimes even a month to sign in for just a few seconds.
The “I have a life” card doesn’t work here.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Living World

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

I agree, I’ts stupid that we have to pay 200 Gems to play each chapter. Some people don’t live by their computer and wouldn’t have the time to sign in. If it was free for that day of signing in then it should be free forever.

You had two weeks, sometimes even a month to sign in for just a few seconds.
The “I have a life” card doesn’t work here.

^ and some characters

in Living World

Posted by: DjZeBeR.3549

DjZeBeR.3549

Each episode was free if you logged on to the game once, for a few seconds, within a 2 week period and some were free for a month, iirc, so it wasn’t just one day that it was free.

However many days it was free for then’ It should have just been free forever. I love Gw2 I have owned the game from day 1. I play a few months at a time and I come back on a few days ago just in time for the last chapter.. Woo I have no idea whats going on i can’t go back and play the last few chapters to even know whats going on unless i pay. Just seems like another way to make a fast buck from us who missed it.. I my self didn’t know we had to log in for it to be free I just assumed it would be there for me to play the next time i logged in..

Without music life would be a mistake!

in Living World

Posted by: Khazdingo.8501

Khazdingo.8501

Same like you was excited when I heard the news for the expansion and getting hyped up, login to the game and saw the lw unlock fee and totally kittened and it totally blows my hyped for the expansion. It is better for anet to make it unavailable forever like s1 instead of spitting the 200 gem in the face of returning player.

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Each episode was free if you logged on to the game once, for a few seconds, within a 2 week period and some were free for a month, iirc, so it wasn’t just one day that it was free.

However many days it was free for then’ It should have just been free forever. I love Gw2 I have owned the game from day 1. I play a few months at a time and I come back on a few days ago just in time for the last chapter.. Woo I have no idea whats going on i can’t go back and play the last few chapters to even know whats going on unless i pay. Just seems like another way to make a fast buck from us who missed it.. I my self didn’t know we had to log in for it to be free I just assumed it would be there for me to play the next time i logged in..

And in Season 1 you would have had zero chance of going back.

in Living World

Posted by: Khazdingo.8501

Khazdingo.8501

The 200 gem is giving returning and new player perception that anet is greedy as we dont really follow all the updates/news on whats happening in gw2. Just imagine if you dont play gw for 1 year++ and u login to the game and see the 200 gem what will u think is the anet intention with this? My feeling when I saw that is wow whats this now the game is soo gem minded? Please just remove s2 permanently like s1 before it ruin anet reputation for new and returning player

in Living World

Posted by: kortornervi.4209

kortornervi.4209

i want to come back and enjoy the game but this pay wall for the old content really turns me off.And the worst thing is even if you pay the price you cant play season 1, its not available.This is so stupid.Sadly there no point to buy the expansion and return the game.

in Living World

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Yes, as a matter of fact. Your personal reasons for not playing the game are obviously your own. It’s not ANet’s problem you stopped playing, it’s yours. Everybody has spells where they take breaks from the game. MMO burnout happens. Heck, I’ve taken 2-3 month breaks myself. You need not explain at all why you stopped playing, but the point is you not only stopped playing, you stopped following altogether. Are you saying you couldn’t pop on the forums every now and then to see what was happening/coming soon?

The point isn’t that you stopped playing, it’s that you stopped following completely and missed all the announcements and all the hoopla about everything, and now that you’re back it’s someone else’s fault you weren’t around for the news and now have to pay. All you had to do is log in and you got the content. Unless you feel like expounding on why exactly you couldn’t play, that hardly sounds like much of a commitment to me, even for people on a break.

Actually, I think his point is that everything had changed. And that was brand-spanking new to MMOs. Nobody has ever done that before. It’s always expansions or add-ons or whatever. Changing the map? Trashing the biggest city on the continent? Those are pretty big changes.

Nobody not already in the knew could have guessed what was coming. My daughter had the same experience of leaving (senior year of college), and coming back to a very unfamiliar game.

In other games (including GW1), such changes only occur when you buy an expansion, and even then the original content didn’t change. (Well, unless you didn’t realize you could actually LEAVE pre-searing Ascalon — things kind of changed after the Searing.)

Living Story shattered the old mindset. And, if you hadn’t played, you have no in-game way to realize what happened.

in Living World

Daddicus.6128

i want to come back and enjoy the game but this pay wall for the old content really turns me off.And the worst thing is even if you pay the price you cant play season 1, its not available.This is so stupid.Sadly there no point to buy the expansion and return the game.

Perhaps you should think of it as a cheap expansion. Typically, expansions cost around the same amount that the original game cost. And, they come out a year or two after release.

This came out in the second year, and it’s cheaper than an expansion would be.

Is it worth it? I think so. In fact, so much so that I wish they could do the same with LS1.

Pay wall? Maybe. But, think of it as a cheap expansion, and I think it’s a lot more palatable. Of course, this is to one who won’t have to pay, so I’m obviously biased. Take my words with a grain of salt.

in Living World

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

If you call this Pay wall, try to play a P2P MMORPG where you buy the original game, pay monthly, have a cash-shop and then pay for every major update.

Anet need to have a method to keep players in-logged. Other MMOs do that by forcing you to grind for the new gear in which case you will be left behind if you don’t get that gear. In GW2, you can come in and out as much as you want. All you need to do is login for a minute or two and then logoff and you have two long weeks for this simple login. You missed it? well, all you need to do is to pay for it. The amount of money is too small and you can exchange gold for gems and therefore buy the content which wouldn’t take you long. It is more or a less a quest DLC that moves the story forward. All active players get the DLC for free. People who don’t play need to pay.

And for reference, you can still play the DLC for free if you have a friend who has the episodes.

in Living World

Daddicus.6128

Gumball’s post highlighted something to me:

If they had charged initially for this, say 50 gems per episode (in place of being free), I’m not sure I would have bought it. It would go against their pay once philosophy, and if they were willing to violate that, what other things might they do?

But, let’s say I had paid for the first one, just to see. Well, that first one was good enough that it would have convinced me to continue.

That would have given me a 150 gem discount from what you will have to pay. But, that business model wouldn’t have bothered most people, I don’t think. Get it live = you get a discount.

In the real case, though, it was free. And, there’s something about “free” that makes it different than the raw 200 gem difference in price. I’m entitled to “free”; I’m not entitled to something that has a cost. There’s a mental block in my mind against that, and you’re probably similar.

Try jumping that hurdle with 200 gems ($2.50 USD). If you have 200 gems available, what else are you going to buy? Give the first episode a try. I think you’ll like it. It’s that different, AND that good.

But, if you don’t, then drop out with no further loss.

(I just hope ANet somehow turns the first year of LS into similar content. THAT I would pay for in a flash. While the new content is, IMO, better, I REALLY want to replay some of that first year. My guess is that it’s impossible with the technology, but maybe I can hope?

ANet? I’ll pay 500 gems per episode if you can pull it off!)

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

I missed 4 episodes of season 2 – only 4 because from time to time I had a day I logged for a moment played soem stuf and left.

for the first phew moments when I was lastly replaying what I was supposed to play long time ago I was abit confused on story because I missed two first chapters.

do I rant about it?

nah – I know I could’ve login once every week but I didn’t do it willingly.
so now I only need to farm some more gold and hope that there will be no more nicey sales before I will unlock all of this

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Living World

Posted by: Venatorn.7619

Venatorn.7619

Copypasta time…

Ok no .. just no
Anet pumps out LS content pretty much every 2 weeks (not counting breaks of) and if you log just for a second you can get it FREE
I’ll give somethe benefit of doubt and say pc broke down. If you want to play the content you can pay 200 gems so.. $2.50 … since you cant buy gems per dollar you have to just buy 800 gems which is $10 … dude thats pretty kittenin cheap to get 4 LS episodes (a good few hours of content) OR one episode and something shiny.
Ok now lets say you are a little kitten cash and $10 is somehow too much. As of right now 11gems=1g. 200/11 = 18g 18s 19c. (Its 18.18182 in case you cant see the maths) now just round that up to the next gold, 19g.
19gold . . . This is stupid easy to get <.< and tbh you will probably only really have to grind out for the first episode because througout the episode you will get loot and can sell for gold.
So ANet has given you four options:
Buy 4 for $10 or buy 1-3 and get other stuff
Play the F###ing game and getting a very minimal amount of gold
Have a friend host the instance for FREE
And for a fifth, additional option… kitten
Side note: sorry for being toxic in this post but this crap is my #1 pet peive when it comes to gamers
And if you need assistance or some tips for getting 19g feel free to PM me in game or here on the forums >.>

All proffesions 80

in Living World

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Is it just me or would others want to see the op actually kicked in the teeth then sit down and discuss the difference?

in Living World

Posted by: Sekhmet.6153

Sekhmet.6153

So I take it most people never considered it an option that Anet could have just released the Living Story season 2 updates as permanent content that is always unlocked when you log in, no matter when you do log in?

Not sure I get why some people really feel like the Living Story needed to be “be there to get it free or pay for it if you miss it” when they always could have just made it an actual free update.

Real life can sometimes throw curveballs such as having to go out of state for a couple weeks/month with no real access to an online video game, so I can definitely understand how easy it could be to miss out on updates. Its not a big price to pay for them, but it still seems unnecessary to me to make them gated behind gems if you weren’t there during the window. Its not like its just costumes/skins etc. its story and lore that will lead to the next game.

in Living World

Posted by: Cerberus.6793

Cerberus.6793

So I take it most people never considered it an option that Anet could have just released the Living Story season 2 updates as permanent content that is always unlocked when you log in, no matter when you do log in?

Not sure I get why some people really feel like the Living Story needed to be “be there to get it free or pay for it if you miss it” when they always could have just made it an actual free update.

Real life can sometimes throw curveballs such as having to go out of state for a couple weeks/month with no real access to an online video game, so I can definitely understand how easy it could be to miss out on updates. Its not a big price to pay for them, but it still seems unnecessary to me to make them gated behind gems if you weren’t there during the window. Its not like its just costumes/skins etc. its story and lore that will lead to the next game.

I Agree. I was excited to come back after an 18 month hiatus only to find LS S2 gem gated. Funny thing is I was going to drop $100 on gems, but after seeing this I changed my mind. I even persuaded my brother to buy this game thinking that LS season two would be a free permanent update. So much for buying a copy of this game for my other brother.

in Living World

Posted by: Piecekeeper.4361

Piecekeeper.4361

TL;DR

I made a choice to prioritize life over games, and now I’m sad I don’t have everything in the game.

in Living World

Posted by: Zombiesbum.3502

Zombiesbum.3502

I think a lot of people are missing the point. When you buy a game, you buy everything that the game adds to it. If it’s an expansion then that is fair enough as the content of those are usually vast enough to warrant the sale of content.

It’s like saying “Oh we added ascended gear, that will be £20 for access to that content!” It’s stupidly kittened.

The “I had a life” card should not even come to question. Simply put, if you bought a game, you should receive everything that anyone else received regardless if you put the game down for ANY reason.

Quite frankly its very backwards thinking. You don’t give out content for free and THEN charge people. That’s absurd. Content becomes cheaper as time progresses, that’s just the nature of business. Obviously the Anet marketing team are a bunch of potatoes.

I won’t be buying the stories, ever. Fvck the marketing team.

in Living World

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

I think a lot of people are missing the point. When you buy a game, you buy everything that the game adds to it. If it’s an expansion then that is fair enough as the content of those are usually vast enough to warrant the sale of content.

Very false, when you buy a game, you buy the content that it had at the time of release unless it is otherwise stated in legal documentation. Any future content is purely up to the discretion of the developer and publisher.

(edited by Lazaar.9123)

in Living World

Zombiesbum.3502

Very false, when you buy a game, you buy the content that it had at the time of release unless it is otherwise stated in legal documentation. Any future content is purely up to the discretion of the developer and publisher.

Except that is was free. Wasnt it? But of course players that actually unlocked it for free are so far up their own kitten holes they are too blind to see that actions like this also may effect them in the future. Let a company extort it’s customers while they say “yeah it’s okay” and guess whats going to happen? More extortion.

Of course a company has a right to sell what ever content they want, but they should also respect their customers and not view them merely as wallets with cash.

The game is fun, but it’s things like this that make me think twice about purchasing from the company in the future. I want to buy the expansion to experience it’s content but I’m also very skeptical of their actions.
(It’s not the first time Anet has made dumb actions ‘Remembers the perma bans, Oh sorry! I meant 72 hour bans, for buying items from vendors’)

I may just say screw the expansion and go play other games, there are other games out there and companies who strive to treat their customers more like human beings.

A company has a right to sell what ever they want. But a customer has a right to voice their dissatisfaction. The people here who are shouting down those opposing views with illogical bigotry should try coming up with logical views rather than the moronic “Oh well if you logged in when you had no idea the game even still existed in a playable state…”.

Yeah, grow up children.

(edited by Zombiesbum.3502)

in Living World

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Except that is was free. Wasnt it? But of course players that actually unlocked it for free are so far up their own kitten holes they are too blind to see that actions like this also may effect them in the future. Let a company extort it’s customers while they say “yeah it’s okay” and guess whats going to happen? More extortion.

Of course a company has a right to sell what ever content they want, but they should also respect their customers and not view them merely as wallets with cash.

The game is fun, but it’s things like this that make me think twice about purchasing from the company in the future. I want to buy the expansion to experience it’s content but I’m also very skeptical of their actions.
(It’s not the first time Anet has made dumb actions ‘Remembers the perma bans, Oh sorry! I meant 72 hour bans, for buying items from vendors’)

I may just say screw the expansion and go play other games, there are other games out there and companies who strive to treat their customers more like human beings.

A company has a right to sell what ever they want. But a customer has a right to voice their dissatisfaction. The people here who are shouting down those opposing views with illogical bigotry should try coming up with logical views rather than the moronic “Oh well if you logged in when you had no idea the game even still existed in a playable state…”.

Yeah, grow up children.

Sounds like you need to grow up, No im not kidding.

It takes at most 3 minutes to open GW2 and let it install and log in and get the free unlock for the 2 weeks or more thats its up for free. 3. Minutes. I managed to do that while i was working a full time job, going to college, and having to take care of my sick dog. If i could manage to afk open GW2 before i leave for work and log in when i get back so to can you. There is no reason for you not to be able to get the free unlock unless you simply just stopped following GW2 altogether, which then its your fault. Not ANETS, not ours, Not NCsofts, Yours. For not following the GW2 releases. For your info, i wasnt even playing GW2 while i was working, i had no interest, id done everything i wanted, and so i stopped playing, still logged in though.

As i said in another very similar thread, My brother who cant even play the game because of his kittenty computer managed to log in when a new story was up and hes so busy with school and homework that he has no other life other than school.

Stop being mad at everyone else and stop blaming everyone else. This is on no one but you. And by all means please, leave, getting all kittened off and mad when its so easy to get for free, is just sad.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

(edited by Dante.1763)

in Living World

Zombiesbum.3502

Yeah, grow up children.

Sounds like you need to grow up, No im not kidding.

It takes at most 3 minutes to open GW2 and let it install and log in and get the free unlock for the 2 weeks or more thats its up for free. 3. Minutes. I managed to do that while i was working a full time job, going to college, and having to take care of my sick dog. If i could manage to afk open GW2 before i leave for work and log in when i get back so to can you. There is no reason for you not to be able to get the free unlock unless you simply just stopped following GW2 altogether, which then its your fault. Not ANETS, not ours, Not NCsofts, Yours. For not following the GW2 releases. For your info, i wasnt even playing GW2 while i was working, i had no interest, id done everything i wanted, and so i stopped playing, still logged in though.

As i said in another very similar thread, My brother who cant even play the game because of his kittenty computer managed to log in when a new story was up and hes so busy with school and homework that he has no other life other than school.

Stop being mad at everyone else and stop blaming everyone else. This is on no one but you. And by all means please, leave, getting all kittened off and mad when its so easy to get for free, is just sad.

When you have a job and work 12 hour shifts then come back kid. Everything you say is irrelevant.

Btw I’m not blaming anyone else, I’m pointing out that everyone is blaming the people with real lives (not school lives, that is very casual).

I can be a egotistical kitten head too.

in Living World

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

“I logged back on after 1 year afk, why don’t I get treated the same as people who stayed with the game keeping the population up and money rolling to ANet over that time legitimising the expansion?”

Might want to roll that around in your head a few times.

in Living World

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

When you have a job and work 12 hour shifts then come back kid. Everything you say is irrelevant.

Btw I’m not blaming anyone else, I’m pointing out that everyone is blaming the people with real lives (not school lives, that is very casual).

I can be a egotistical kitten head too.

Hm Sounds like the job im going into. And you know…, it sounds awfully similar to the job my dad did every day for 20 years, and still does. Yet he still manages to log in, and get the rewards, for you know playing the kitten game. And i dont know how old you are, and you dont know how old i am, so knock it off with the “kid” crap, its annoying and rude and all it does is show how little you care about the responses in this thread, as well prove my point of how much of an kitten you are.

You have been egotistical kitten this whole thread, and each time someone comes up with logical responses to you, you dismiss them by calling what they have to say irrelevant. Congrats. I hope you have a good day, and i hope you can find another game that offers as much as this game does for playing it.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

It was announced ahead of time before Season 2 began that this season would be permanent and would be free during the two week period that it was active. Everyone that was playing the game between that announcement and the season was well underway understood this.

Those that had taken a break before that announce, and have just now came back, don’t have much ground since they took a break with the expectation that Season 2 would be temporary like Season 1 and they’d miss it entirely. They then came back, saw it was available but for a price, and got upset because they felt that they deserved to get the content for free like those that were active players over the last summer and fall.

in Living World

Zombiesbum.3502

Hang on, let me just log into my 100 or so games in my library “Just in case” there is temporary content that later becomes buy to play.

The way people talk is as if there is only one game on the market.

Also I was not even around for the living story one, but that does not bother me and you might think “why?”. Simple, it is no longer available to anyone. There is no scammy cash-in on it. It was an event within the game for free and never changes.
If living story s2 was unavailable and you could not buy it, that would also not bother me.
If you cannot see the disrespect from Anet by this method of cashing-in then I really feel sorry for you when(not if) you get screwed over by Anet or any other future company.

Some people are also under the impression that everyone who has not unlocked the chapters were available to be around. Imagine if you have never played Gw2 and you see the “buy once play forever”. There is nowhere that it says “When you buy Gw2 you must also purchase living story chapters” But it still mentions the living story as playable content.
Now tell me, what’s your excuse for Anet then? Please enlighten me on how Anet are so respectful to their customers by not telling them about the living story costs.

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

And exactly where was it stated that the LS had to be free in the first place?

in Living World

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Hang on, let me just log into my 100 or so games in my library “Just in case” there is temporary content that later becomes buy to play.

Also I was not even around for the living story one, but that does not bother me and you might think “why?”. Simple, it is no longer available to anyone. There is no scammy cash-in on it. It was an event within the game for free and never changes.
If living story s2 was unavailable and you could not buy it, that would also not bother me.
If you cannot see the disrespect from Anet by this method of cashing-in then I really feel sorry for you when(not if) you get screwed over by Anet or any other future company.

Some people are also under the impression that everyone who has not unlocked the chapters were available to be around. Imagine if you have never played Gw2 and you see the “buy once play forever”. There is nowhere that it says “When you buy Gw2 you must also purchase living story chapters” But it still mentions the living story as playable content.
Now tell me, what’s your excuse for Anet then? Please enlighten me on how Anet are so respectful to their customers by not telling them about the living story costs.

LS is simply a DLC and its NORMAL in any game, MMORPG or not, to find paid story DLCs. You can even play it for free with a friend or simply farm for a week and you will be able to play it.

in Living World

Posted by: Arianhod.3485

Arianhod.3485

etc…

AFAIK only GW2 uses this format, so no, you don’t have to check 100+ games (I’m not debating if this is a good or bad format). Also, if you know that a company uses this format, and you think you might coming back to the game sometime in the future, keep an eye on the updates every now and then.
Anet specifically explained the format beforehand (2 weeks free etc).

As for cashing in, again, you can buy it with ingame currency, so your point is not valid (at least, not entirely, I hope you can see it).

The pay once play forever applies to the core game, in the same way that buying D3 doesn’t get you access to the expansion part of the game. again, this has been already stated multiple times, they only thing you’re missing are the LS chapters (which you can play with a friend who has them unlocked) and the achievs. The maps are there for free.

It’s a-me, Aria!

in Living World

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

(which you can play with a friend who has them unlocked)

You know, I never realised that, but if that’s the case, then I personally find that not too bad. Of course on the other hand you could argue that it might not be worth buying because you can already play it with a friend and you don’t care about the achievements.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

A request can also be made to provide access to Season 2 when you purchase HoT.

in Living World

Zombiesbum.3502

AFAIK only GW2 uses this format, so no, you don’t have to check 100+ games (I’m not debating if this is a good or bad format). Also, if you know that a company uses this format, and you think you might coming back to the game sometime in the future, keep an eye on the updates every now and then.

As for cashing in, again, you can buy it with ingame currency, so your point is not valid (at least, not entirely, I hope you can see it).

The pay once play forever applies to the core game, in the same way that buying D3 doesn’t get you access to the expansion part of the game. again, this has been already stated multiple times, they only thing you’re missing are the LS chapters (which you can play with a friend who has them unlocked) and the achievs. The maps are there for free.

It’s a bold statement to say that it’s the only game to use that format. You’ll have to provide solid evidence for this.

Secondly I did not know they used the format of scamming people. So there is your logic down the kittenter.

It is a cash-in thoguh isn’kitten Unless you have no life and only ever play games all day. Even then, time is money.

D3 has an expansion much like GW2 will have. Expansions usually offer a vast amount of content hence why the sale of them is not a scam.

You don’t play WoW or D3 expecting to buy quests (That’s essentially what Anet is doing with GW2). If you look at the “Buy GW2” and view “What’s in GW2” You will see the mention of living world events which of course fails to mention that they cost money (Of course they do).

It really baffles me why people like to take it up the kitten from companies, you guys remind me facebook-type-game players that defend pay-to-win games. I don’t know whether to cry that people like that exist or laugh my kitten off.

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

They’re not scamming people. It’s essentially a mini expansion released over time which happens to be free to active players during its initial two week release. They announced well ahead of time regarding this new system for Season 2 and future living story seasons.

in Living World

Posted by: Arianhod.3485

Arianhod.3485

>>It’s a bold statement to say that it’s the only game to use that format. You’ll have to provide solid evidence for this.

I said “As far as I know”.

>>Secondly I did not know they used the format of scamming people. So there is your logic down the kittenter.

I’m sorry, that’s just your opinion. A scam would be selling GW2 and then charging people to log in (for example). Living story is an ADDITION to the core game. It’s not written ANYWHERE that it should be free of charge.

>>It is a cash-in thoguh isn’kitten Unless you have no life and only ever play games all day. Even then, time is money.

Thanks for the name calling but no, I have a life and a job (and very time demanding actually), but I still manage a 10 secs login every 2 weeks.

It’s a-me, Aria!

in Living World

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

So it is Anet’s fault that you have 100 games in your library? And how can you possibly have that many games with your incredibly time consuming job?

Interesting.

You apparently also missed the “gaming experience may change at any time” (or some similar phrase along those lines) statement that appears in every mmorpg’s eula.

I guess you also missed the other 200+ threads on this subject where it was explained, thoroughly, that you don’t have to purchase the chapters you missed……just find someone who has done them who is willing to take you through them. I know, that’s way too easy.

But hey, knock yourself out thinking that your opinion on this all is the only correct one out there.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I think we all agree we’d prefer if the content was free, and that there was never a charge for it. There was even initial backlash over the suggestion that there be a charge. Most of us understand, however, that these are peoples’ livelihoods. They need to get paid to do this, but a cash shop isn’t quite enough to compensate for this. So they put a bit of a price to get the back episodes. We don’t necessarily like it, but it’s not so bad relative to that could have been.

We can also be sympathetic to RL interfering with being able to log in, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Every has a story, but if ArenaNet made an exception even once, then they’d be flooded with dozens, hundreds, THOUSANDS of requests along the same vein asking for the chapters to be unlocked. It sucks, and some might call it unfair, but someone is going to be unhappy no matter what is done.

in Living World

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

TLDR: If you weren’t going to play S2 content upon its release and wrote it off as a loss the way you did with S1 then you really haven’t lost anything you were intending to do. In fact, you’ve gained the opportunity to play the content you were never going to experience anyways and you probably won’t find a lot of sympathy here.

Part 1:

let me just log into my 100 or so games in my library “Just in case” there is temporary content that later becomes buy to play.

It’s an MMO; changes happen more often than most standalone games based on its very nature. This concept is worked into the game EULA of every MMO. Do those 100 or so games send you e-mails advertising a similar system to S2 on the release day of every episode of their new content, reminding you to log in? Do the articles about those games, in-game tool tips and official website/blog of those 100 games alert you to this system? No? Then it’s probably GW2 and other MMOs you should prioritize keeping up with.

I was not even around for the living story one, but that does not bother me and you might think “why?”. Simple, it is no longer available to anyone.

So, you’re not mad at paying the same as an original player (let’s say $60) and playing far less content than them during S1. You’re not mad about missing all that and never getting to replay it because everyone is currently as miserable as you. For the record, those who missed it and had a desire to play the content spoke up throughout the end of S1, which is why S2 is replayable for you to enjoy after their release at all.

But S2 does affect you. You’re the one who is miserable now while others stayed informed or logged into the game for the briefest moment every two weeks to unlock a chapter. DESPITE this lapse in awareness or ability to log on, you now have the opportunity to play content you missed out on by purchasing the episodes.

Apparently you didn’t care enough about the game to read their many emails or to even briefly look at their site or an article about the game from the last year, nonetheless spend money in the gem store which is how they were sustaining themselves for 2 and a half years’ worth of free updates – but now all of a sudden after having your game off and your wallet zipped tight, you’re ANet’s most valuable customer who Deserves This For Free. Without giving anything back to the community through even opening the launcher and logging in for a second. …kay. If reality intruded to the point where you didn’t care this may be something you just have to write off as a side effect of that instead of blaming Anet for running a business.

I’m interested to see whether your carefree opinion on S1 changes should they ever release S1 episodes — as they have said they ideally would like to do. Perhaps you’ll think you deserve this for free, too, despite the extra work it’ll take for them to make the episodes instanced and add them into the story journal.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

in Living World

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

Part 2:

Actually, what Anet could have done to disrespect its player base is charge up front for the episodes, regardless of player loyalty, and not allow those who haven’t purchased an episode to play it through with those who have. Every single player would have to pay ~$20 for season 2 due to the increased resources on the server and creative teams that instancing requires. Instead, they gave even the most minimally devoted players free content just for playing. Not even playing, just logging in. Someone upthread asked why it couldn’t just be free period. I obviously don’t know. I assume it’s because they’re a business and they can only put in so many man hours before they have to start charging us for something. This game has pampered us with free updates and fully voiced stories every two weeks for the last two years. The voice acting alone has got to be costing them a small fortune.

The cost of unlocking a living story chapter from S2 is less than a gem store armor set. In fact, you can buy 4 episodes for the cost of an armor set. It’s a very modest price, especially for new players who only paid $10 for the base game. I would pay this price for replayable S1 episodes.

How can you use this argument but not care that S1 content that you can’t “play forever” has been removed? I find that inconsistent. I also don’t see your quoted verbage on the official website or product anywhere, but perhaps I am overlooking it. I only see a section on dynamic events.

As others have pointed out, what you paid for when you bought the game was the core personal story and access to the world, in addition to experiencing the current living story. We were never promised access to archived LS until this season under their widely announced system.

You don’t play WoW or D3 expecting to buy quests … If you look at the “Buy GW2” and view “What’s in GW2” You will see the mention of living world events which of course fails to mention that they cost money (Of course they do).

By this logic, MMOs “make” you buy quests when they release an expansion. Nothing from the base game of GW2 is locked behind an additional paywall. Even the LS is free upon release.

If you didn’t have access to a computer for six months, that is unfortunate and a terrible fate I do not envy. Sometimes stuff happens and you have to count it as a loss. Perhaps you could play through S2 content with a friend or guildie who has it unlocked, or split the buying of the episodes with a friend.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

(edited by kimeekat.2548)

in Living World

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Secondly I did not know they used the format of scamming people.

Yes, what you did know is that if you don’t play it you will miss it completely. Just like Season 1 worked.
So, since you have already decided on not playing it, i don’t see a problem with unlocks costing gems – just ignore this and you will be in the situation you wanted to be in.

TLDR: If you weren’t going to play S2 content upon its release and wrote it off as a loss the way you did with S1 then you really haven’t lost anything you were intending to do. In fact, you’ve gained the opportunity to play the content you were never going to experience anyways and you probably won’t find a lot of sympathy here.

So, basically this.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Living World

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

D3 has an expansion much like GW2 will have. Expansions usually offer a vast amount of content hence why the sale of them is not a scam.

You don’t play WoW or D3 expecting to buy quests (That’s essentially what Anet is doing with GW2). If you look at the “Buy GW2” and view “What’s in GW2” You will see the mention of living world events which of course fails to mention that they cost money (Of course they do).

It really baffles me why people like to take it up the kitten from companies, you guys remind me facebook-type-game players that defend pay-to-win games. I don’t know whether to cry that people like that exist or laugh my kitten off.

You do of course realize that paying for it only unlocks the ability to host the instances and get achievement points. If you only care about experiencing the story/fights then you can join anyone’s group. It’s not like it checks to see if you’ve paid for it. You can join anybody’s party that has it unlocked. If you cared about achievement points in this game I can only imagine you would not have quit for long periods.

My wife has not unlocked any of the chapters except the last one and we’ve gone through all of them together. In fact our guild will host LS2 nights where we go through all of them for people who may not have been on to unlock it.

You can still access the content, my man. Just join someone’s group or find a solid guild.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in Living World

Posted by: Shoryuken.1527

Shoryuken.1527

I’m also disgusted by anet. I’ve missed 2 months from real life stuff and now I need to farm more mats for my legendary when i could have farmed it all. Now I hafta spend gold for those mats when anet should just give me those mats for free. I also missed a week of work for being sick and didn’t get paid. My boss owes me money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also didn’t play Diablo season 1, blizzard better give me a choice to play it or else ima go on a rant on these forums (FLIPS TABLE) AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

in Living World

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

It’s a bold statement to say that it’s the only game to use that format. You’ll have to provide solid evidence for this.

Secondly I did not know they used the format of scamming people. So there is your logic down the kittenter.

It is a cash-in thoguh isn’kitten Unless you have no life and only ever play games all day. Even then, time is money.

you seem to be rather fond of theorizing about other players´ lifestyle and insulting them. Well, here is some of your own medicine: If your cool adult super fulfilled real life 12 hour shifts don´t bring you enough money to even pay these minimal prices, then maybe you have to work 14 hour shifts, even more real, eh? Or maybe look for some qualified job with a better income. Yours sincerly, an above average earning computer playing person with 8 hour shifts and plenty of pastime activities in his life.

in Living World

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

What never ceases to amaze me is the sense of entitlement people have with regards to the LS.

“I paid for GW2, I should get all content updates for free, FOR EVER!”

I don’t think I’ve ever played a game where content updates have ever been free. Content patches and tweaks yes, but new content being added to the core game has never been, and given any sane business model should never be, free.

Lets go back a ways, Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction? Nope, buy that expansion!
Diablo 3 then Reaper of Souls or whatever it was called. Nope had to buy that too.
WoW, WoLK? MoP? nope buy into those ones, lads and lasses!
I could probably go on, but I’m pretty sure people will get the point eventually

The very fact that Anet gives us the chance to get it for free when by all means they could have charged us 200gems up front is, in fact, incredibly generous. Furthermore, those 200 gems do not have to be paid for in real money. I missed out chapter 7 towards the end of last year because I was moving countries. Should I go and demand that this chapter be given to me for free? Of course not. When I got a new PC, I just shelled out some meaningless virtual currency and bought it. Chapter 7 cost me nothing in real life

This attitude that "Anet puts out such a “tiny” amount of content every two weeks that it should always be free" makes absolutely no sense. Someone said “time is money” which is very apt. Whoever said it was obviously referring to themselves but conversely why shouldn’t we apply it to Anet? Is the time of developers’ not worth anything? Should their efforts not be remunerated in some way? Shouldn’t the company have some way of bringing in an income? Despite this, Anet nonetheless gave players the option to login and get it for free.

I’m going to leave it here. The rest of what I want to say is infractable so I’ll just go mutter it to myself. Hopefully I won’t see any of those entitled spoiled children in game.

in Living World

Posted by: itachimichi.6324

itachimichi.6324

I just came back after a year off and i am thinking about buying the chapters. as i am a bit afraid they might be retired at some point. If i buy them, can i do them with all my characters, or do i have to buy them per character(which would be a “hell no”)?

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I just came back after a year off and i am thinking about buying the chapters. as i am a bit afraid they might be retired at some point. If i buy them, can i do them with all my characters, or do i have to buy them per character(which would be a “hell no”)?

I don’t know why they’d be retired, so I wouldn’t rush it if money is tight. In any case, good news. Once you buy the chapters once, they’re unlocked for all of your characters.

in Living World

Posted by: Lynx.7430

Lynx.7430

I reckon Anet should like…come up with a bundle product by this stage for those who are purchasing GW2 now, like paying only 1.50USD per chapterif you buy them all in bulk together with the base game.

Anyway, I always think of life in terms of opportunity costs, if I picked RL stuff over game stuff and vice versa, there will always be something I’ll be missing out. For example I decided to not join on a dance night with a couple of colleagues cos I prefer to run triple trouble, I could be missing out on meeting someone new there. Or if I did choose to go for the dance, I could’ve had a precursor drop from wurm chest.

Also, if I had felt that my real life then was so much important than logging in for a few secs for a rather insignificant piece of content, then honestly it would not bother me if others did get the promo but I didn’t.

On a side, I think people need to realize that they’re not the only ones who has a life outside of games, or has 10+ hours workshifts, can get the occasional burnout from games.

in Living World

Posted by: harry.4267

harry.4267

well not sure why people are defending anet on this.. 200 gems is like 20 gold.. and i dont care what peeps say 20 gold takes time to farm / sell paths do dungeons whatever.. 20 gold is a chunk..

this content was free to play.. now its not.. seems like a massive cash grab for the next influx of players with the up coming expansion..

and to be honest about it.. the living story was a complete yawn fest anyway… more along the lines of grinding out some extra ap’s and semi -useful loot..

just seems greedy

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

You can make 20 gold in under two hours doing SW chest farm

in Living World

Posted by: Xaqq.7562

Xaqq.7562

I am in the same situation as multiple players here.
I didn’t player for ~1 year and now I’m back. I am mostly a PvP player and I never even finished the normal story. However, I felt insulted when I saw that some story episode had to be bought with gems.

This is really fels like being treated as wallets, nothing more.

Someone said this:

“I logged back on after 1 year afk, why don’t I get treated the same as people who stayed with the game keeping the population up and money rolling to ANet over that time legitimising the expansion?”

Yeah why not? I cost literraly 0$ to Anet while I didnt play for 1 year. All while you costed some server resources. So you ended up costing them more than me, yet you get free content and I don’t? Sorry, that’s bullkitten.

When I originaly bought GW2 I bought the game, and access to patch. Its like if you had a Microsoft Windows license, missed a few patches and had to buy them back. All you had to do was update your installation. Well you didn’t, now buy the patches you missed. This is kittened.

Maybe I should buy access to the new ranked arena system? Or the new PvP map? I wasn’t here when it rolled you, why should I have free access to it? /s

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

I am in the same situation as multiple players here.
I didn’t player for ~1 year and now I’m back. I am mostly a PvP player and I never even finished the normal story. However, I felt insulted when I saw that some story episode had to be bought with gems.

This is really fels like being treated as wallets, nothing more.

Someone said this:

Yeah why not? I cost literraly 0$ to Anet while I didnt play for 1 year. All while you costed some server resources. So you ended up costing them more than me, yet you get free content and I don’t? Sorry, that’s bullkitten.

When I originaly bought GW2 I bought the game, and access to patch. Its like if you had a Microsoft Windows license, missed a few patches and had to buy them back. All you had to do was update your installation. Well you didn’t, now buy the patches you missed. This is kittened.

Maybe I should buy access to the new ranked arena system? Or the new PvP map? I wasn’t here when it rolled you, why should I have free access to it? /s

It’s because those playing at the time were active players.

I don’t understand why it matters though. You left the game roughly a year ago so you had to expect and accept that you would miss out on all of the content until you got back. Whether or not there is an option to purchase episodes or not doesn’t matter in this case.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)