I don't think Scarlet is overpowered

in Living World

Posted by: Derom.1205

Derom.1205

Yeah we all know that Scarlet ist super smart, extremly resourcefull and seems to pretty much be able to do anything she wants.
I just think she needs it.

If you think about it, she is suppose to be the personal nemesis of the player. And from a lore-perspective the player is pretty much a Mary Sue him/herself. I mean s/he is just a random guy who is VERY good at killing stuff and pretty much rallys all of Tyria behind him/her to kill the dragon, thus achieving more than even Desteny’s Edge could imagine. Also Trehearne would be nothing without him/her.

So the only worthy opponent for a person like that it someone like Scarlet.
Similar to Superman’s and Lex Luther’s relationship. Both are extremly powerful, but in their own way.

It kinda makes sense i think.

Learn to write everything bad on sand and to carve everything good into stone.

in Living World

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Personally I dont understand why some people dont like her, I can assure you they are very few compared to the amount of people that do like her. Sure, the plot of the game is deviating from the dragons a bit, and sure I would like to see more dragon stuff, but what they fail to see is this;

the game has only been out for a year, thats a fairly young game, many people are still buying the game, some are starting the story, I havent even finished mine (and I have dungeon master already) so imagine if people bought the game and suddenly the entire story changes all of the sudden. I actually like all these LS, it would be better is they were spaced out for a month but oh well. I like the Scarlet character, Im also very glad it is a sylvari, a race that barely gets any action or story coverage (all sylvaris in LS have been bad guys, and only 2 of them).

Personally I would like if the dragon saga wasnt touched until the game’s 3rd year or so, I actually enjoy the entire dragon minion fights and speculation, the mystery, the struggles. For The Pale Tree’s sake, these are giant mounstrous dragons, responsible for wiping entire civilizations in endless cycles and being undestructable, I would definitely would not enjoy if suddenly a zerg of people waltzed into their lair and killed them in one swing.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in Living World

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

I don’t feel like she’s the personal nemesis of any of my PC’s. If anything, she’s the nemesis of Queen Jenna since it seems that she specifically wrecked the festival to get at her. She hasn’t actually done anything specifically to any of my PC’s as far as I remember.

in Living World

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

So the only worthy opponent for a person like that it someone like Scarlet.
Similar to Superman’s and Lex Luther’s relationship. Both are extremly powerful, but in their own way.

It kinda makes sense i think.

And to some degree I can understand your viewpoint, but the one thing I loved about superheroes like Batman and Superman is we didn’t have to rely completely on the Joker or Luthor.

They had other villains, other obstacles, and that made the heroes all the better.
That is what I wanted with us and the Living World. I don’t care if she created the Molten or the Aetherblades, that’s fine. The problem I have is with every alliance or “evil shadow lurking” moment we have I can just spit out “Scarlet’s behind it” and I’m correct.

Taking this newest release as example, I would have been thrilled if it was just the Krait making this tower. Just them, on their own, somehow they used Mesmer magic to hide their progress and the humans weren’t paying attention because DR was attacked earlier thanks to Scarlet so they were on edge.

The veil drops, the tower shows up, and the Krait try to make a power play. Scarlet could have been a long distance factor (her shenanigans spooked the Humans and distracted them) but she wasn’t the primary instigator of this release.

Once again I love the idea of a nemesis for the player. However I also love the fact this world has multiple factions vying for power/land/magic/etc and sometimes events take us by surprise because we were focused on something else.

We just aren’t getting that if Scarlet is behind everything.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Living World

Derom.1205

They had other villains, other obstacles, and that made the heroes all the better.

Yeah maybe it is a bit contrived to see that Scarlet is behind everything but there are actually many evil organisations in Tyria.

The player just destroyed or weakened all of them already.

I mean in order of appereance: Ghosts of Ascalon are severely weakened for a while, the most powerful political oppenent of Queen Jenna was captured (Caudecus), the Nightmare Court’s Headquarter was destroyed and its leader forced into hiding, the most powerful Dredge Colony was defeated, the Flame Legion lost its leader, the Inquest was weakened by killing their leader and destroying their biggest Lab and then we killed Zhaitan.

There really wasn’t anything left after the Personel Story.
It’s more like Scarlet is now creating an Anti-Pact of the remnants of these organisations.

in Living World

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t feel like she’s the personal nemesis of any of my PC’s. If anything, she’s the nemesis of Queen Jenna since it seems that she specifically wrecked the festival to get at her. She hasn’t actually done anything specifically to any of my PC’s as far as I remember.

She didn’t do as much damage as Zhaitan did, perhaps, but she does sort of attack zones in all areas of the world. Queen Jennah is the Krytan Queen, but she was also behind the assassination of a Lion’s Arch Captain, which is not specifically a human city but a city of all races. And she does assault pretty much every zone.

I guess my question for you is this: what did Zhaitan do you to personally?

She’s an enemy of the free people’s of the world. She’s attacked two major cities and all of our territories. Oh, and she sent you a bomb. I’d say that’s pretty personal. lol

in Living World

Atlas.9704

Yeah maybe it is a bit contrived to see that Scarlet is behind everything but there are actually many evil organisations in Tyria.

The player just destroyed or weakened all of them already.
….

There really wasn’t anything left after the Personel Story.
It’s more like Scarlet is now creating an Anti-Pact of the remnants of these organisations.

And you know I wouldn’t mind that type of explanation if they somehow put it in the story.
So far we are supposedly still just getting to know her motivations and after nearly a year that gets slow and irritating.

Now I’m one for positive thinking and to be fair ANet had the chance to give us a better glimpse of her motivations at Chaos Clockwork.
When she popped in she could have said something about us (the player) in enough generalized fashion to show we’ve been followed.

(Closing Ceremony begins and up pops the Rose haired menace.)
“Aaaaand that’s my cue. Hello, DR! My name is Scarlet, and I’ve come to play with you. Don’t panic…yet. I’ve been laughing my leaves off while your queen brays about “trials” and “endurance.”
“Oh I see we have a special guest in the audience! What was your pet name again dear? Slayer? Valiant? Hero? Savant? It doesn’t matter. You’ve done quite the number on local baddies in Tyria, thank you. I couldn’t have taken what I wanted from them without you meddling! Oh yes I’ve watched you and now YOU can watch ME. Here I’ll even give you a pet name: My little target.”
“It’s time to show how fragile human society is. To wit: these ‘watchknights’ you’re so proud of? Mine now.
I’ve also planted a few bombs around the city to keep things lively. Bet you can’t find them all!
Ta for now. See you soon! Oh, and I’ll be taking your queen with me. Hang on, Your Majesty. It’s going to be a wild ride. See you around Target. (Evil laughter)

Now right there had we just a few more lines it would have given us something about her which would tease her motivations.
Her giving a “title”, much like we have generic ones from all the places we’ve saved, and mocking the process shows a personal touch.

However we didn’t and the closest is her talking about how we fumbled up her plans in later releases, which I’ll admit is good, but we still have little to no motivations on why she’s doing this stuff.

And that’s one of my problems. I’ve seen this in countless comics where the narrator blows hot air in the reader’s face about how “mysterrrrrioussss” and beyond human a certain character’s motivations are. Motivation is just a desire to do something (save/blow up something/someone for example). It’s poor storytelling if you don’t establish why someone is on the stage.

And even if we have broken the backs of these organizations, that’s just even more incentive for them to come back and start swinging or give other races/organizations a chance to make moves that will cement their ascent.

Give me a resurgence in Centaur uprisings with a warlord who thinks he’s better than the guy that was broken because of me. Give me Krait who think NOW is the time to slaughter the land creatures for their god without resorting to “Scarlet helps them”.
Give me Hylek who think that taking me down will prove the Sun shines through them more. I want bandits moving in on Inquest and Court territories after I’ve wrecked their couches. I liked the idea of Aetherblades because I thought it was due to my involvements!

Half the time I wonder if Scarlet’s supposedly half baked alliances are breaking because we come in at the 11th hour. Well if that’s the case I’ll take two weeks off so she can finally win something. Maybe then I’ll get some inkling as to why she’s doing things.

Now all this frustration you’re reading comes from a Scarlet supporter. I LOVE the idea that someone is wrecking stuff and I have to put them down, but her wrecking stuff “because she’s nutty” stopped being a valid reason after the Tower update.

Nutty people don’t convince Krait to work with folks they would have slaughtered two weeks ago.

And even nutty people have limitations on time and resources.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Living World

Vayne.8563

Nutty people don’t convince Krait to work with folks they would have slaughtered two weeks ago.

And even nutty people have limitations on time and resources.

That’s true, but I wouldn’t put all “nutty people” (to use your phrase) in the same boat. There are gifted people among the insane, some of whom at least in real life who seem to be able to get people to do the wrong thing. There are some very gifted sociopaths walking around who might have limitations on their time and resources, but they’re really adept at getting other people to do their dirty work for them, which is where I sort of see Scarlet.

She’s obviously a sociopath and she obviously wants to destroy things. And she managed to convince the dredge and the flame legion to work together? How? My guess is the manipulation of their self interests. She has the Nightmare Court working with the Krait. I can see how she accessed the Nightmare Court easily enough (they’d eat up what she’s doing), and if she did find these power crystals the krait consider holy…well, entire populations have gone to war for less than that.

I do agree Anet could make this stuff clearer, but Anet has a history of not making certain things clear. The idea is to let people talk about them, just like this. In fact, they even said this very thing in the Halloween developer live stream.

in Living World

Posted by: dostunuz.3982

dostunuz.3982

She is overpowered as hell. ANET should nerf her Healing Signet and revamp UF trait to go ezymode again.

in Living World

Atlas.9704

She’s obviously a sociopath and she obviously wants to destroy things. And she managed to convince the dredge and the flame legion to work together? How? My guess is the manipulation of their self interests. She has the Nightmare Court working with the Krait. I can see how she accessed the Nightmare Court easily enough (they’d eat up what she’s doing), and if she did find these power crystals the krait consider holy…well, entire populations have gone to war for less than that.

I do agree Anet could make this stuff clearer, but Anet has a history of not making certain things clear. The idea is to let people talk about them, just like this. In fact, they even said this very thing in the Halloween developer live stream.

Vayne I understand she has possible sociopathic tendencies.
However that isn’t a goal, that isn’t an explanation as to why these alliances are coming out of left field.

Even Heath Ledger’s Joker had some goal, to show that folks are basically animals when you strip away their safety.
Even real life criminals have a reason though I can’t vouch for any of them being remotely tied to reality.
Charles Manson believed in a possible race war and his killings would help spur it on. He’s also nuttier than Skritt droppings, but at least we have some reason why he did it.

What has the game produced to show why she’s doing this?

Which leads me to my next point, yes Anet has a history of not making things clear.
To some degree that’s no excuse. That’s a failing/challenge that needs to be worked on.
Hopefully this Collaboration effort will be the start to that.

They could improve with this character, well actually not really because they are set on whatever path they are making for her. They can work on their communication problems with their next villain.

Also I can’t see the connection between having a company with communication issues leading to people talking. If anything when you present more about a character people talk more about them.

Hint about the villain, show some of their work, debut the villain, reveal part of their plan and some reasons why this is their plan, and discover more as you continue.
That will spur people into talking about how good a villain’s work is, not how confusing or “Mary Sue” (I hate that term) a person is.

Right now we’re still at hint and show, even with Clockwork I don’t even think we’ve gotten to “debut”.

Now I could be wrong with this next update and ANet pulls a miracle by giving some flipping clue as to why she’s going around grouping folks up like a nosy mother who wants grand kids. If it happens I’ll reevaluate my stance like I’ve done before (ardent Scarlet supporter, but now facepalming but still supportive).

in Living World

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

She is a dragon champion. She is corrupted and therefore crazy and powerful.

Spoiled the plot, sorry…

in Living World

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

She didn’t do as much damage as Zhaitan did, perhaps, but she does sort of attack zones in all areas of the world. Queen Jennah is the Krytan Queen, but she was also behind the assassination of a Lion’s Arch Captain, which is not specifically a human city but a city of all races. And she does assault pretty much every zone.

She’s an enemy of the free people’s of the world. She’s attacked two major cities and all of our territories. Oh, and she sent you a bomb. I’d say that’s pretty personal. lol

Zhaitan didn’t do anything to me and I didn’t do anything to him because he’s at the end of a dungeon for some silly reason.

She does assault every zone but she doesn’t actually DO anything to those zones and then leaves after she gets bored. She doesn’t even open portals in cities that I’ve seen, mostly just in random fields in the middle of nowhere.

She sent me a bomb after I blew her up a couple of times, tit for tat I’d say.

in Living World

Atlas.9704

She is a dragon champion. She is corrupted and therefore crazy and powerful.

Spoiled the plot, sorry…

Best theory so far, let’s see if they concur with it.
No. Seriously. I’m at the point that if she flat out answered “I wanted peanut butter toast, but Mother Tree said we only had bagels”. I would clap my hands, “woooo” in the air, and say “okay I’m ready for the next great evil to conquer!”

in Living World

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

If you think about it, she is suppose to be the personal nemesis of the player. And from a lore-perspective the player is pretty much a Mary Sue him/herself.

This would be a great storyline.

Still, I didn’t feel like she was a personal nemesis. I feel that she is more like a random villain.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Living World

Vayne.8563

Vayne I understand she has possible sociopathic tendencies.
However that isn’t a goal, that isn’t an explanation as to why these alliances are coming out of left field.

Even Heath Ledger’s Joker had some goal, to show that folks are basically animals when you strip away their safety.
Even real life criminals have a reason though I can’t vouch for any of them being remotely tied to reality.
Charles Manson believed in a possible race war and his killings would help spur it on. He’s also nuttier than Skritt droppings, but at least we have some reason why he did it.

What has the game produced to show why she’s doing this?

Which leads me to my next point, yes Anet has a history of not making things clear.
To some degree that’s no excuse. That’s a failing/challenge that needs to be worked on.
Hopefully this Collaboration effort will be the start to that.

They could improve with this character, well actually not really because they are set on whatever path they are making for her. They can work on their communication problems with their next villain.

Also I can’t see the connection between having a company with communication issues leading to people talking. If anything when you present more about a character people talk more about them.

Hint about the villain, show some of their work, debut the villain, reveal part of their plan and some reasons why this is their plan, and discover more as you continue.
That will spur people into talking about how good a villain’s work is, not how confusing or “Mary Sue” (I hate that term) a person is.

Right now we’re still at hint and show, even with Clockwork I don’t even think we’ve gotten to “debut”.

Now I could be wrong with this next update and ANet pulls a miracle by giving some flipping clue as to why she’s going around grouping folks up like a nosy mother who wants grand kids. If it happens I’ll reevaluate my stance like I’ve done before (ardent Scarlet supporter, but now facepalming but still supportive).

From what I read (and I’m not sure this was in game or not), she’s doing this because she wants to see if she destroys the existing structure what will replace it. It’s an experiment in her head.

in Living World

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Pretty Shallow take. What did Zhaitan do.. seriously? Everytime I visit Orr, I manage, somehow, to take what Zhaitan did.. very personally.

Scarlet is a cardboard cutout of VillainSue. Poison Ivy with Brain damage. Jessie of Team Rocket.

She has not managed to “do” anything to anyone. The only thing she is lacking so far is tying us up to a ridiculous machine and wandering off to give us plenty of time to get out. “Farewell, Mr. Bond”

Link to your theory source. “I read somewhere” is not credible. Nor is the theory remotely plausible, how, in any manner, do you motivate armies of minions based on that, and how does attacking random pockets of wilderness even accomplish that?

She isn’t personal. She isn’t a Nemesis.

I did a World Event arc in “another game” I fouled the plans of the Roekillik, nasty little white mice people. For 3 solid months, as I followed the arc, I was randomly assaulted by trios of horrible little white mice assassins while minding my own business, in the middle of boss fights, while harvesting, never knowing when the little monsters would pop in. That is a nemesis, and the sheer hatred I built up for them made finishing that event oh so sweet.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ever heard the phrase “Too smart for his/her own kitten good”? Yeah, that describes Scarlet perfectly for me.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Living World

Atlas.9704

From what I read (and I’m not sure this was in game or not), she’s doing this because she wants to see if she destroys the existing structure what will replace it. It’s an experiment in her head.

So instead of undermining the political structures via manipulation of more worthier elements like Caudecus/a Svanir chief/anyone who was Baelfire’s second in command, she decides frontal attacks and strange hybrid alliances are the way to go?

Someone call up the Shadows or the Vorlons, because clearly she’s an amateur if this is her real reason. Personally I’m holding some hope for a better reason.

At best the Aetherblades were a worthy attempt. We already had the evil trinity alliance of Bandit/Inquest/Court in Sylvari/Asura territory. That much I can award praise to her.

in Living World

Derom.1205

Maybe her Motivation isn’t clear but we definitly know what she wants to do. Starting with Flame and Frost all she was doing is gathering different kinds of technology from all around Tyria.
Looks to me like she is planning something big with that stuff.

And to those who say that Scarlet is an ineffectiv villain because all her plans failed.
Well, first it didn’t fail completly because like i said above she now has a truckload of very dangerous technology under her command.
Second, there was this other “Mery Sue” running around ,called The Player, who was working against her.
All of Scarlet’s plan would have succeded if not for the player.

I think the problem for some people comes from the fact that Guild Wars 2 is actually very optimistic in its storytelling. the setting itself is serious but not grimdark, there aren’t any supervillain who are impossible to defeat. The bad guys aren’t more powerful than the good guys.

in Living World

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Both are boring when compared to characters with more depth like Batman or (old-school) Spider Man. However, even in your example, Lex Luthor has his flaws. He’s not all powerful like Superman, and at the same time, Superman cannot do everything. Well designed characters are often either strong fighters, smart brainiacs or charismatic personalities. Scarlet is all three at once, outclassing everyone in everything. She could have been what she is now if she was slightly dumber than the Asura (the smartest race in the game) but she had to be smarter than all Asura combined.

My character isn’t a half-god. She has her strengths and her weaknesses. I’m guessing it must feel differently when you play a warrior though.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Living World

Atlas.9704

Second, there was this other “Mery Sue” running around ,called The Player, who was working against her.

To call the player a Mary Sue is just like complaining that a bucket of water got you wet.
Players are destined to win in MMOs, it is a fact of programming.
I have yet to see any online RPG that has a “losing path” where the player descends further down a less than successful path due to losing matches. In fact I would love to see such a thing because it would be interesting.

Single player games can do that type of thing because of easier programming, heck Wing Command is a great example of the hero losing.

Therefore this idea that the player is a Mary Sue is irrelevant. Fact is you will win unless you play some hardcore mode where you purposely delete your character if you lose a fight and reroll someone.

Now granted that would be awesome as heck, but I’ve invested too much in mine at the moment.

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Personally I dont understand why some people dont like her, I can assure you they are very few compared to the amount of people that do like her.

Give us something that would show that is even remotely true. I am bias and I hold the position that Scarlet is a bad character that is making the story bad but I believe the criticism of Scarlet is well founded and many intelligent discussions (as well as a wealth of nonsense) have explored why people dislike Scarlet and why she is bad for the story. I haven’t seen much in the way of intelligent praise (well reasoned, thoughtful posts expressing why she’s a good character and why she enriches the story or Tyria) of her nor have I seen anything which would indicate she is popular.

Sure, the plot of the game is deviating from the dragons a bit, and sure I would like to see more dragon stuff, but what they fail to see is this;

the game has only been out for a year, thats a fairly young game, many people are still buying the game, some are starting the story, I havent even finished mine (and I have dungeon master already) so imagine if people bought the game and suddenly the entire story changes all of the sudden. I actually like all these LS, it would be better is they were spaced out for a month but oh well. I like the Scarlet character, Im also very glad it is a sylvari, a race that barely gets any action or story coverage (all sylvaris in LS have been bad guys, and only 2 of them).

I like sylvari too, but I like sylvari for more than their appearance (although I’m tired of the firstborn/secondborn plots). Scarlet doesn’t tell much of a sylvari story. Maybe you can write off her child-like attitude as sylvari (she’s very different from Trahearne, Faolain or Caithe – admittedly they are all first born, but not even Canach was as immature as Scarlet) and the short story briefly deals with her initial birth and then later conflict with the Pale Tree. Aside from that Scarlet is cosmetically a sylvari but she doesn’t do much to expand sylvari lore.

Personally I would like if the dragon saga wasnt touched until the game’s 3rd year or so, I actually enjoy the entire dragon minion fights and speculation, the mystery, the struggles. For The Pale Tree’s sake, these are giant mounstrous dragons, responsible for wiping entire civilizations in endless cycles and being undestructable, I would definitely would not enjoy if suddenly a zerg of people waltzed into their lair and killed them in one swing.

Guild Wars decided to wrap up just over two years after launch. They released EotN and then put the game on life support (and in that time they put out a lot of content, more than GW2 has put out). World of Warcraft had its first expansion two years after launch and that game had a lot more end game (and captured a bigger audience) than GW2. There was a bigger grind built into the leveling system and there was raid progression and substantial patches to keep that game going without an expansion. Players who completed PvE in Guild Wars 2 a year ago are running out of things to do. There are only so many times you can run AC, CoF or Orr temples before you’ve truly run out of anything worth doing again.

I don’t have exact numbers but the last figure they gave out for copies sold indicated a dramatic decline in people buying the game. I would guess the majority of people who are going to buy and play the story have already done so. At some point the story needs to advance and the next Elder Dragon needs to come into it. There are six of them. Three years between kills would last 18 years! Who is going to want to play 18 years from now? That’s assuming there are only six dragons (in our part of the world, Tyria is bigger than us and there’s always other worlds like the place humans originally came from – the story doesn’t stop at the Elder Dragons) and that we actually kill them. What’s stopping them from using the Living Story as a year long (or six month long) lead into an expansion dealing with the next Elder Dragon?

As far as the argument that players need a formidable opponent, we have that in the form of an Elder Dragon. They overshadow the players dramatically. We don’t need a random character given convenient plot devices forced into the story every month to feel challenged. The elder dragons (or even dragon champions) are formidable enough. Of course the player character is the hero, that’s by design. It’s a consequence of game with an on the rails story. It wouldn’t be a very interesting game if the player didn’t get to do much.

in Living World

Derom.1205

Scarlet is all three at once, outclassing everyone in everything.

Thats actually not true. If her Playhouse is any indication, she is just a Genius with almost unlimited Resources but no fighting skills. The player is the expert fighter.

I mean I don’t want to say Scarlet is a good it’s just that i don’t think generalisation is the way to go to critize her.

My character isn’t a half-god. She has her strengths and her weaknesses. I’m guessing it must feel differently when you play a warrior though

Nope, my main is a Necro and still i feel like godmode in the open world most of the time

in Living World

ThiBash.5634

Thats actually not true. If her Playhouse is any indication, she is just a Genius with almost unlimited Resources but no fighting skills. The player is the expert fighter.

I mean I don’t want to say Scarlet is a good it’s just that i don’t think generalisation is the way to go to critize her.

Funny. To me she came across as not even trying, just mocking us for our weak attempt at fighting us. Could have something to do with the voice acting, but I don’t feel like she made any serious attempt at fighting us. Which was then further enforced by the fact that even if we ‘beat’ her, she just appears again with full health and another goofy weapon or plan.

It’s called ‘playhouse’ for a reason after all.

Nope, my main is a Necro and still i feel like godmode in the open world most of the time

Can imagine that, with the equivalent of 40k base health. That’s 4 times what eles start with you know? :-)

Lorewise, our characters aren’t mary sues. They didn’t beat the undead when Claw Island was invaded. They didn’t go toe-to-toe with an Elder Dragon on their own. They had a difficult moment when they were the cause of someone’s death and they took it hard (or as hard as the ingame emotes allow them too).

Meanwhile, Scarlet faces a horde of players and then mocks them after she feigns being beaten by them.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

(edited by ThiBash.5634)

in Living World

Derom.1205

Funny. To me she came across as not even trying, just mocking us for our weak attempt at fighting us.

She tried to kill us 3 times with different gadgets and was easly beaten every time.
She even pretty much said that we ruined her “fun”.

Lorewise, our characters aren’t mary sues. They didn’t beat the undead when Claw Island was invaded. They didn’t go toe-to-toe with an Elder Dragon on their own.

Exatly, and Scarlet is doing something similair. She didn’t attack Lions Arch or Devinitys Reach all alone. She too has allies. And like the player, she is making alliances between different factions (player = the orders, Scarlet = evil factions)

It’s just the more i think about it the more it becomes obvious that she is the evil version of the player.

in Living World

ThiBash.5634

She tried to kill us 3 times with different gadgets and was easly beaten every time.

She didn’t even try. She was just toying with us. We came at her, all serious with all our might, and she just toyed a bit with us and then ran off, like a thief in WvW that you can never catch because of stealth.

Exatly, and Scarlet is doing something similair. She didn’t attack Lions Arch or Devinitys Reach all alone. She too has allies. And like the player, she is making alliances between different factions (player = the orders, Scarlet = evil factions)

It’s just the more i think about it the more it becomes obvious that she is the evil version of the player.

She uses allies because she can, and to keep us busy, not because she needs them. Every time we face her, we only beat her because she ‘lets us’, and we never truly beat her, she never seems hindered by anything we do.

And as for your final statement, maybe you’re RPing your character to be perfect, but not all players do. My character has a lot of flaws and I certainly don’t run around claiming to be smarter and more skilled than the Sylvari, Norn, Charr and Asura combined.

in Living World

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

She didn’t even try. She was just toying with us. We came at her, all serious with all our might, and she just toyed a bit with us and then ran off, like a thief in WvW that you can never catch because of stealth.

She isn’t toying with us because of her fighting skill. She toyed with us because she has gadgets to keep her safe. Take away her gadgets and we would curb stomp her even if she would try to fight seriously.

in Living World

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

TL;DR

Here’s everything I know about Scarlet:

Scarlet is some Sylvari chick who periodically attacks random targets for no real reason. She doesn’t really matter, though, because nothing she does is relevant to anything I do in game.

If she has a story arc I missed it.

in Living World

ThiBash.5634

She isn’t toying with us because of her fighting skill. She toyed with us because she has gadgets to keep her safe. Take away her gadgets and we would curb stomp her even if she would try to fight seriously.

Wheter she’s immune to defeat because of her gadgets or because of her own power, she’s still immune to defeat. The same would count for any character: take away their weapon and they’re useless…

in Living World

Derom.1205

…she just toyed a bit with us and then ran off, like a thief in WvW that you can never catch because of stealth.

Yep exatly. Like a thief that attacks and then notices that he is fighting a stronger opponent. He just runs away. No-one would call that thief a winner.

Also i just noticed, due to the setting of the game its obvious that Scarlet will loose again when she fights against us.
It’s kinda sad, she is doomed to failure. It’s just a matter of time.

Again nothing about her is overpowered if she is beaten every time.

in Living World

ThiBash.5634

But that’s the thing, we’re not beating her. Anything we do to her is either part of her plans, or inconsequential. It’s like we’re not even there. That’s what makes her a mary sue most of all. She never suffers any meaningful setback.

in Living World

Derom.1205

But that’s the thing, we’re not beating her. Anything we do to her is either part of her plans, or inconsequential. It’s like we’re not even there. That’s what makes her a mary sue most of all. She never suffers any meaningful setback.

Do you mean the part where she captures Caith in Twilight Arbor? Well, she is a Genius so she has to do something right.
We also saved Divinitys Reach, Lions Arch, part of the Shiverpeaks and part of Ascalon from her. Nothing of that was part of some plan of hers, at least she never said that.

It isn’t always suppose to be about a clear winner oder looser. It would be boring if the villain went down after the first or second fight. It’s like saying that Darth Vader is a mery sue because he survived the explosion of the first Death Star.

(And before anyone counter by saying they at least destroyed the Death Star: We did that, too. Twice. Molten Facility and Aetherblade retreat went boom.)

in Living World

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

Ehhm, you can’t compare the Death Star with the Molten Facility or Aetherblade Retreat. The Death Star is a Space Station the size of a moon, with an air ventialtion shaft in space. The Molten Facility is well hidden and we had to dig our way in, it was a facility to build and test new weapons.

@ ThiBash: There is a difference between her gadgets and our weapons. Our characters are well trained to use the weapons to full efficency. Scarlets gadgets could be used by anyone.
Lets see what our characters have. Weapons and magic and highly proficent with it.
And lets see what Scarlet have to fight us. Weapons and I don’t see that she is skilled with them, no magic and gadgets everywhere to protect her. Her “fighting skills” are reduced to her gadgets, you can’t call it fighting skills. Her gadgets are the reasons why she is toying with us. Her skill has nothing to do with it.

in Living World

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

Personally I dont understand why some people dont like her, I can assure you they are very few compared to the amount of people that *do like her.*

How? Based on what data?

in Living World

Posted by: Wizzlock.3492

Wizzlock.3492

Personally I dont understand why some people dont like her, I can assure you they are very few compared to the amount of people that do like her.

Good – I feel assured.
Now, back on tracks. This statement is based on what exactly? Basing on forum – loud majority hates Scarlet, minority protects her and claim to like her. Gustibus non disputandum est – but basing on that, I can believe that there are some people who actually like Scarlet. Never met them in-game, never played with one and I love to chat with pugs on dungeon runs. Most of my guildies left GW2 when all that Scarlet nonsense begun, so yeah. Go figure.
Still – I can be wrong, people I know are not a representative group of GW2 players – it’s just random people I’ve met. So some data would be nice to prove it.