Implementation of repeatable hearts is bad

in Living World

Posted by: zwei.9073

zwei.9073

(Let me preface that my core content in GW2 is world completition, story completition and some collections – basically, stuff that i can work on in my free time as that is fairly limited and I must be ready to drop game at any moment unless previously aranged for.)

(Also, this is not rant about difficulty. Those things are trivial to do. Or about being OCD completitionist – i have full map completition only on two characters. I am taking it chill. New hearts are not about taking it chill.)

So how are new hearts implemented: at reset time, you loose all progress. Well, how is that bad?

Original hearts basically served two purporses: They unlocked a vendor a they kept player at one place for couple of minutes so that map exploration is not about zipping around with speed boosts and evades and so that people get to experience soe events in area.

Now, that had major problem of being boring (and some annoying) to complete unless there was some event in area.

Good was that just like any world completition item, it gave some small goal on map.

Well, now we have new ones.

Problem with them is the way they reset: at reset time every day, regardless of anything. That sucks a lot.

1st) You get to loose unlocked vendor. I guess that might bother people who are collecting pertified wood as it adds couple of minutes to visiting vendor.

2nd) If you are exploring map at your own pace, you will never get map compleitition in it. If you do the “heart a day”, you will get nowhere. If you did half a heart, you have nothing to show for it tomorrow.

It forces unnatual way of completing the map: get all pois, vistas and waypoints first and leave hearts for time you will be able to get em in. And I do not really enjoy being pushed to stay online when i am presonally done with gaving for the day at punishment of loosing progress and having to restart.

3rd) It is kind of frustrating passing Dwarven Artifact and not bothering picking it up because I am not really sure i will be able to complete all hearts tonight.

4th) I dont really like treating open world map like instance (= having to restart it after i had to drop game in middle of storyline mission.). That is frustraing enough with those long-ish instances.

Well, what are benefits of new hearts? I dunno … some 600 karma per heart each day. Access to vendor you has yesterday? Busywork? I have hard time finding something I would enjoy about them.

I thought that repeatable hearts would work quite differently – i.e. that player will trigger repeat by talking to heart vendor, or that completition of all hearts in map would reset them. Not work as another set of daily achievements in disguise.

One thing I hate is “log off now to loose all the progress.”.

So, will future GW2 maps actually use this system? Will those maps have more such hearts? Becuase 5 of them are troubling me already. Something in range of 10-15 like in core maps would make me basically give up.

Also, what was exactly developper goal with them? Are they just busywork untill Episode 3 drops?

Also, for all others: What did you think that repeatable hearts would be like and what would be the reason for them?

in Living World

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

Each heart only takes 2 minutes or less to complete. As long as the number of hearts remains fairly low then it isn’t too big of a deal.

The only problem I have with it is that I have to redo the hearts in order to finish my map completion because I was mapping before and after reset. Sure they are quick but I find hearts to be boring and redoing boring content is…boring.

in Living World

Posted by: Rhinala.1739

Rhinala.1739

I hope that Anet would have used the method of implementing repeatable content done by the secret world, the player see it as completed with the option to repeat it, there is no reset, the player can leave it at any time and continue where they left off, the repeat quest counter start after the end of the quest.

in Living World

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

Agreed, I would have expected a lot better from ANet than just changing the icon and having them completely reset every day.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

in Living World

Posted by: Mr Lock.5079

Mr Lock.5079

I agree, there are a few ways to implement repeatable content, and this isn’t the best way. I would like the hearts to stay completed but give the player the option to repeat them once every day, by talking to the NPC for example. Now it is more of a nuisance.

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I think they are great. But can’t keep everyone happy, and it’s not like the vendors have must have items, and take a full days play to unlock. They also provide things to do while waiting for events to spawn.

I wish all hearts where like this. Some of them are quite fun to do.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t find the repeatable Hearts a problem. One only need complete all 5 in one 24-hour period once (per character). I think it’s equivalent to having to complete, say, 14 Renown Hearts in a vanilla map. For me, it’s actually a lot quicker.

I like the idea of having more daily content. I hope ArenaNet uses this method for maps in the future. But, each to their own.

Good luck.

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I would prefer them to be a lot more substantial. I like how they tell each areas story, but they are over so quickly, they are almost wasted.

in Living World

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

There are event merchants in vanilla Tyria where you can’t purchase items you want until after the event is finished and the event NPC becomes a merchant. That’s essentially what these repeateable hearts are. If the event merchants didn’t bother you then these shouldn’t either. The good thing about the heart merchants is you don’t have to stand around waiting for an event to start.

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

This makes me want a button you can press at a heart in vanilla GW2 that resets the heart, allowing you to redo it, at least once a day. Why? Because there are certain heart quests I absolutely love that I would keep doing over and over again. Such as the Heart quest at Terra Carorunda in Blazeridge Steppes.

That ash legion kit is absolutely fun as hell. Stealth, backstab an enemy for an instant kill and enemy human scream.

stabs AHHH! stabs AHHH! stabs AHHH!

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Living World

Posted by: Krinstin.6287

Krinstin.6287

It would be nice to be able to reset them personaly at the vendor, or make it reset once a week or so.

in Living World

Posted by: PaladinVII.1647

PaladinVII.1647

To each their own, as has been said. I enjoy the new hearts.

in Living World

Posted by: Frenzify.6832

Frenzify.6832

I wouldn’t have a problem if they were optional. Repeatable hearts operate under the assumption that players will care about them after the first, and maybe second completion. I get that completing them all, along with map completion gives you rewards each day, but I’d much rather have a permanently complete map, for the completionist in me. I don’t see why they need to be repeatable when you could probably just add the rewards onto the many events on the map. Seeing the map reset to its percentage just grates me.

in Living World

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Map completion is permanent once achieved. Vistas and PoIs will only count toward Map Completion once. Only the Hearts are repeatable and reset.

in Living World

Frenzify.6832

Yes, but because hearts reset daily, it also resets the map completion percentage. Granted, it’s a minor issue, but it’s a minor issue that I’m sure irritates completionists who like seeing things complete. I’d rather always have the map show 100%, and it just allows you to repeat hearts, if you want, rather than having it reset it to 87% and just being a nightmare for people with OCD.

in Living World

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

I’d rather always have the map show 100%, and it just allows you to repeat hearts, if you want, rather than having it reset it to 87% and just being a nightmare for people with OCD.

Right??? That’s the logical way to do it.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

My only complaint about the execution is that it ruins map completion. If the system could remember that I did it once and have a different indicator (i’unno, silver instead of gold), then at least it can save my progress.
I don’t mind the vendors being locked, since the rewards are bonus petrified wood and access to the other vendor items, most of which are things you buy once anyway.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have never liked hearts in this game — specific ones are fun, but overall they are basically all “kill ten rats” or “deliver 10 packages” or “pet 10 cow” sorts of things. The ones that aren’t become really annoying after the 2nd or 3rd time.

I like the idea of them being optional dailies — a step up from “complete 4 events/day”. I don’t like the idea of them being mandatory for map completion nor for vendor access.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

I understand the map completion arguments, but find the hearts are fairly fast so to me was no biggie. However, a better implementation would simply leave them filled in on the map once done, but the infinity symbol lets players know that they can optionally redo them, but probably the check for heart completion is map hardcoded so it was easier to implement a simple reset switch to their status.

I’ll give Anet credit for introducing a new kind of objective into their game.

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

So how are new hearts implemented: at reset time, you loose all progress.

What?! Why would they do that? Especially since existing Hearts save progress. Where was the notice about this? So I ran around Ember Bay participating a little here, a little there KNOWING that my participation was saved because that’s how it always has been, and now its all wasted? If I had known, at least I could have chosen to complete the Hearts instead of letting my progress be wasted.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

So how are new hearts implemented: at reset time, you loose all progress.

What?! Why would they do that? Especially since existing Hearts save progress. Where was the notice about this? So I ran around Ember Bay participating a little here, a little there KNOWING that my participation was saved because that’s how it always has been, and now its all wasted? If I had known, at least I could have chosen to complete the Hearts instead of letting my progress be wasted.

When I saw the repeatable hearts, I just sort of assumed there would be an accidental misstep like this. My plan from the onset was to finish the rest of the zone first, then do all the hearts in one playthrough.

Really hoping they patch this quick.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Living World

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

it is their game, they can dictate how it is played. lazy people are always lazy. if you want something work for it, including vendor access.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in Living World

Frenzify.6832

it is their game, they can dictate how it is played. lazy people are always lazy. if you want something work for it, including vendor access.

Did you read the thread? I’m guessing not.

in Living World

Posted by: Changer the Elder.2948

Changer the Elder.2948

It’s not about being lazy, it’s about being bored out of your skull with it real fast. When I visit a vendor, a vendor I already previously unlocked, possibly even several times, I don’t really want to do a little 5 minute dance around it just to convince it to sell things to me.

I also hate having a map that’s virtually impossible to complete. My main has 100% world completion, with a map that’s now stuck on 87% every day. And if you’re willing to sacrifice an hour every day to do the same five kitten harts over and over and over and over again, all the time, every day until Tyrian servers die, then be my guest, but I deem it not fun, annoying as hell and badly implemented all around.

I did enjoy doing hearts on the original map, even though some of them do need finetuning because compared to others, they fill incredibly slow, but having to repeat them over and over again with the same character, losing progress on alts that didn’t finish it in one sitting because their player and handler is an actual human being with work obligations and basic needs like sleep?

NO.

in Living World

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Lazy people will be lazy people, I agree. it takes less than 2 minutes to complete the heart. Its a way to introduce more reward to a map. If you can’t be bothered to take 2 minutes to unlock the merchant, you’re not worth what the merchant sells.

in Living World

Posted by: Changer the Elder.2948

Changer the Elder.2948

Lazy people will be lazy people, I agree. it takes less than 2 minutes to complete the heart. Its a way to introduce more reward to a map. If you can’t be bothered to take 2 minutes to unlock the merchant, you’re not worth what the merchant sells.

I’m more than willing to unlock my merchant, thank you very much. I did that with every other heart merchant in the game and I didn’t complain about it. But let’s see how you like doing that every day over and over and over for a year.
That’t not the mark of a busy bee, that’s just masochism.

And again, it’s not about being lazy, it’s about being a kitten Sisyphos. I’m running map completion on my alts, and my mesmer had hearts partially finished, before I dropped out to bed. Now I can go ahead and do it AGAIN, because my progress was reset. That’s not “having to work for something”, that’s “being a kitten to players for having a life”.

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

I’m more than willing to unlock my merchant, thank you very much. I did that with every other heart merchant in the game and I didn’t complain about it. But let’s see how you like doing that every day over and over and over for a year.

And again, it’s not about being lazy, it’s about being a kitten Sisyphos. I’m running map completion on my alts, and my mesmer had hearts partially finished, before I dropped out to bed. Now I can go ahead and do it AGAIN, because my progress was reset. That’s not “having to work for something”, that’s “being a kitten to players for having a life”.

That means these hearts are not part of map completion. If something is repeatable, it’s not clearable. So why are you bothered by them ruining your map completion? Think of them not as hearts but as daily tasks.

But its not about doing it every day again and again for a year. you gather your resources, and unlock the merchant when you need to buy something. you could gather all the petrified wood and then unlock the merchants and buy everything in one go. no one is forcing you to re-unlock them everyday.

So unless you need the merchant specifically, think of them as events you can do or ignore. Events don’t count to map completion either.

in Living World

Frenzify.6832

That means these hearts are not part of map completion. If something is repeatable, it’s not clearable. So why are you bothered by them ruining your map completion? Think of them not as hearts but as daily tasks.

But its not about doing it every day again and again for a year. you gather your resources, and unlock the merchant when you need to buy something. you could gather all the petrified wood and then unlock the merchants and buy everything in one go. no one is forcing you to re-unlock them everyday.

So unless you need the merchant specifically, think of them as events you can do or ignore. Events don’t count to map completion either.

You really are not getting the point. I couldn’t give a flying kitten about the merchants. If they were events, then that would be no problem. But they’re not events. They’re hearts that count towards the map completion percentage, that resets daily. This is poor design, regardless of what you say. It’s effectively raising a middle finger to completionists who like to see everything complete. It’s got nothing to do with us being lazy. It’s got everything to do with how, no matter what you do, you’re never going to be able to permanently 100% Ember Bay.

Like I’ve said before, yeah, it’s a small issue. Yeah, it may not be worth getting this irritated about, but it’s still an issue. It’s still a design flaw. Hell, think of it this way, when every other heart event in the game saves your progress, even if you don’t complete it, why now is there a map where the hearts that count towards 100% map completion reset everyday, whether you completed them or not? You shouldn’t have to repeat them to always show the map as completed. That’s not being lazy. That’s just every game with map completion, ever.

in Living World

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Because they are different Hearts? Because everyone agreed to the ToS that states any ‘discomfort’ felt by completionists is waived by agreeing to said ToS?

Regardless, the Devs may, or may not, change the UI when opening the World Map for areas/maps such as Ember Bay.

Good luck.

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

You really are not getting the point. I couldn’t give a flying kitten about the merchants. If they were events, then that would be no problem. But they’re not events. They’re hearts that count towards the map completion percentage, that resets daily. This is poor design, regardless of what you say. It’s effectively raising a middle finger to completionists who like to see everything complete. It’s got nothing to do with us being lazy. It’s got everything to do with how, no matter what you do, you’re never going to be able to permanently 100% Ember Bay.

Like I’ve said before, yeah, it’s a small issue. Yeah, it may not be worth getting this irritated about, but it’s still an issue. It’s still a design flaw. Hell, think of it this way, when every other heart event in the game saves your progress, even if you don’t complete it, why now is there a map where the hearts that count towards 100% map completion reset everyday, whether you completed them or not? You shouldn’t have to repeat them to always show the map as completed. That’s not being lazy. That’s just every game with map completion, ever.

I remain at my point that the flaw is that you consider them to be the same hearts like the mainland hearts. THEY’RE NOT, THEY’RE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS THAT JUST HAPPEN TO HAVE A HEART-LIKE ICON. They do not count towards map completion. They reset because they’re events with a heart-shaped icon the map.

in Living World

Frenzify.6832

I remain at my point that the flaw is that you consider them to be the same hearts like the mainland hearts. THEY’RE NOT, THEY’RE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS THAT JUST HAPPEN TO HAVE A HEART-LIKE ICON. They do not count towards map completion. They reset because they’re events with a heart-shaped icon the map.

The old me would have said something insulting around this point.

They do count towards map completion. They count towards 13% of the map. Once you complete them, along with everything else, you get a completed 100% map. But because the hearts are reset everyday, whether you completed them or not, that 13% is taken away, as if you never did it in the first place. I cannot make this any clearer.

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Is it lazy to not check your facts before making a post? It is definitely lazy to use a Heart icon if you don’t mean the new quests to be like the old Hearts…

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

I don’t understand the choice for making these hearts function like this when they could have done any of the following:

- un-pair heart status with map completion for this new heart style, enabling them to be re-done every day but map completion to be recorded separately, per character, as with the "vanilla" hearts

- make use of a tiered vendor unlock like in Dry Top or the Silverwastes based on map / specific area activity

- make use of the map participation elements used throughout HoT

For sure the hearts are not difficult, and map completion isn’t at all tough to get. It’s an odd mechanic choice, though, to introduce.

in Living World

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I hope that in their current implementation they are just a one time experiment. I am someone that never liked hearts because they were often very tedious to complete. I rather do events instead where I can choose whether I like the event that’s running or not. Furthermore the point you made about the reset during mid-map completion also affected me on the first day (Completed like 3 or 4 and they got wiped). Now for a one time thing having to redo them, sure. But if I run into this in the new maps that they are going to release, especially if they become as well designed and complex as HoT original zones I really wouldn’t enjoy it.

Furthermore, I don’t like dailies to begin with. I understand why they are there because there are a ton of ppl that would not play without them (gotta love the daily checklist I guess). I think people should be given the freedom to do what they want without feeling like they are missing out on something they ‘should be compelled’ to do.

I also think that vendors should remain accessible even upon a reset if you completed that heart at any point before.

Lastly, these hearts are currently still designed to be the same tedious menial tasks that exist in most core Tyria hearts. If you make them daily, why not go the extra mile and make a few unique tasks/events assigned to them that happen on a random or set rotation.

I also wouldn’t be against seperating these dailies from map completion. If a game requires the daily chore to keep it’s players then your design goals are kind of out of whack, people should play because there is something they enjoy. Not because they are unable to resist the urge to ‘finish their daily task’.

I guess from my tone.. yea dailies have left a bad taste for me ever since they first started popping up in online games.

in Living World

Posted by: Koceto.6930

Koceto.6930

Yes, it is surely a mistake something daily counts toward map completion but I’m guessing they will fix that in the recent future. The vendor reset could aslo be considered a trouble but could be fixed in some way too.
Apart from that I feel i kinda like these new hearts – yes, they will start to feel boring after a while (but isn’t the same thing happening with events if you go trough them over and over) and they give you a nice MF boost if I’m not mistaken, witch imo is very well worth the 2 minutes spent doing them.
The other thing I like about them is they are part of the map dailies, it is much better if you ask me to be able to choose 2 out of 5 things to do (with numerous objectives) instead of being asked to close 3 exact same rifts every single day.
So you get more diversity in dailies, you get mf boosts, and you even get some karma, so I personally cannot see them being SO bad

in Living World

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’m not a big fan. I wish the map continued to show 100% map completion even after heart reset at least.

I love the idea of repeating a heart by talking to the vendor to reset it. Otherwise, it stays done. Wish they had done it this way.

in Living World

Posted by: undouble.1472

undouble.1472

Since EVERY map includes the “Hearts” as one of the measurements for 100% map completion—(including the Fire Islands)-once they have been completed ONCE, they should NOT reset themselves AND reset the “Map Completion” percentage, because ALL of these “maps” are on the SAME world——and should maintain the same world consistency BECAUSE they serve the SAME purpose world-wide. At this time, I’m “missing” a single POI (the one that can’t be achieved until the meta-event is complete in the volcano)—————and, of course, ALL of the “Hearts”. Since all of us are “tourists” (been there once, done that once, got the tee once), we shouldn’t have to be told "go back and look again at that “boring” area" just so we can create an opportunity to buy some more “tourist trade” junk from a second-rate vendor!!

in Living World

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Each heart only takes 2 minutes or less to complete. As long as the number of hearts remains fairly low then it isn’t too big of a deal.

The only problem I have with it is that I have to redo the hearts in order to finish my map completion because I was mapping before and after reset. Sure they are quick but I find hearts to be boring and redoing boring content is…boring.

I had the same issue where I had to redo the hearts because I did not have the rest of the map done by reset. It really wasn’t that big of a deal to redo the hearts and finish map completion for that.

I would like, however to see a bit of variation on what we need to do for the hearts if they are going to be repeatable. For example, collect so many valuable eggs for one day, collect pearls another day or kill so many animals another day or even collect ember apples (not 50!!) and put them in a basket for the heart guy. Little variations would keep them fresh and the heart person could even have a special relevant reward for that event. Also if a running tally could be kept on these type of events completing so many could get you a choice of something nice.

Repeating hearts could have a lot of interesting things going for them and they could be a lot more fun to do rather than rinse and repeat stuff.

in Living World

Posted by: megilandil.7506

megilandil.7506

yeah hearts take a few minutes(minus the mursat fortres) etc etc, but if you dont keep a register you dont see whith toons had the map completed, pls a-net make a record of first completion of hearts for map completion and keep it in map stats.
an idea is hearts completed today can be marked as red as usual, hearts done once but not today in light pink and not reseted from map completion stats

(edited by megilandil.7506)

in Living World

Posted by: UberSinner.6573

UberSinner.6573

repeatable hearts… bad idea. have just come back after a long break to check out new content. completed map and logged in next day to see hearts I had completed no longer were so.