Inspector Kiel remembered me

in Living World

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

In the Dragon Bash murder investigation Inspector Kiel recognized me from Southsun.

It was a very minor and unexpected detail, but (perhaps because it was such an unexpected reference to my history on Tyria) it shifted my experience of the game from “engaged tourist” to “hey, I’m part of this world” in a way that the bigger personal and living story content hasn’t been able to achieve.

Good one, Anet. :-)

[edit]p.s. On reflection, I should have posted this in the general Guild Wars 2 Discussion forum as it would be a waste if these sorts of references only occur during Living Story events. Far better for them to occur during any content, Living Story or not.[/edit]

(edited by Zenguy.6421)

in Living World

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Very nice touch. I hope they are able to keep things like that up as it does have a lot of meaning to the players.

in Living World

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

It was nice. Too bad she also recognized the character I’ve created two days ago.
Still, I guess it is better that she could recognize me account-wide than it would have been to not be recognized at all.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in Living World

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

Yeah she recognized my other characters too and they never did her story part.

This is mostly because that story is tracked with the achievements tab instead of the personal story tab. It would be nice to have a “personal living story” tab instead of keeping track of it with achievements IMO.

If only Faren would’ve used a “detect this feature on character” code and recognize his old buddy…

in Living World

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Is her recognition dialogue still presented to people who have just started the game and have no idea what she’s talking about with Southsun?
Can any new players attest to this?

I know I would be very confused if I just started playing GW2 and she believes she’s met me before during some content I never took part in. If this is the case, this would sadden me as that would mean this “recognition” (NPCs will remember you quote comes to mind) was nothing more than pre-written text as her response due to lack of time/effort by the person that wrote in her response, instead of making her actually remember you by checking your event participation achievements and then giving a customized message based on the query results.
A new player should get an introduction message with Kiel in LA.
One who participated in Southsun and had actually spoken to Kiel during that event should receive the recognition message.

Though, I still agree that it was a very nice and welcome touch regardless of how in-depth the recognition was implemented.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

in Living World

Posted by: Tamashi.5647

Tamashi.5647

Is her recognition dialogue still presented to people who have just started the game and have no idea what she’s talking about with Southsun?
No. When I talked to her, she didn’t recognize me.

in Living World

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

No. When I talked to her, she didn’t recognize me.

That is really very reassuring to know that they put the extra effort into making the recognition aspect properly

Thank you for responding and noting this! And welcome to GW2

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

in Living World

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

That was a much-discussed topic during Southsun because Faren didnt recognize his ‘old buddy’. Nice to see they pay attention to previous connections again (they also did refer to the PS in F&F). I hope they keep this up and tie it into more content in the future.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Sadly though, Kasmeer didn’t recognise me when I ran into her at the Dead End.

in Living World

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

I think it was added in later since she didn’t recognise us the first time we went to the murder scene.