Is Living Story relevant to GW2?

in Living World

Posted by: Master Yi.6129

Master Yi.6129

Seriously. I thought Guild Wars 2 was about getting together with people and fighting the Elder Dragons, not having parties every month and bashing robots and pirates and non-dragon minion related things. What happened to this game? Is the main goal of GW2 to “make sure we can hang on to players as long as possible?” If next month is going to have nothing to do with the dragons, then I might as well cut my wrists.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Ah yes, lets ignore everything else in the world because there are dragons.
I am sure the real world completely stopped and everyone focused on the war during WWII….

A world where there only is a single issue (dragons in this case) is a dead and boring world.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Juclesia Elcritian.8410

Juclesia Elcritian.8410

I thought about making my own thread to post the following idea, but might as well use this one:

What if the Living World story worked for both the dragons and these seemingly pointless filler arcs? The way I would have designed it is as follows:

Let’s say our next Elder Dragon fight is against Kralkatorrik.
• Release 1 new zone per month – start with opening the gate in Fields of Ruin, next to Ebonhawke, to enter the first area of the Crystal Desert.
• The Living Story will revolve around Zojja trying to gather Destiny’s Edge and other supporters to begin the campaign against Kralk.
• Next month release the 2nd area of the Crystal Desert – the story advances by having new threats appear to hinder the progress of the campaign. For example: Scarlet’s Invasion COULD have been placed here. This would give us plot points about her motives and such.
• Continue expanding the Crystal Desert with 1 zone per month adding new mini-stories that may or may not be directly linked to Kralk, but by being in the way of the campaign against him, they are a problem that needs to be overcome.
• The Dragon’s Lair could get a month of it’s own for example: the place where Glint resided in GW1. More story about her ties with Kralk, and the Zephyrites…

This system also fulfills ANET’s vision of “expansions”. They’d actually be releasing all the things you’d normally find in an expansion, via Living Story instead: new areas, new skills, progress to the main story against the dragons, possibly even new races if they chose to start from Dominion of Winds for example (the Tengu).

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

^ And as far as they have told us, that is actually their plan.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

I thought about making my own thread to post the following idea, but might as well use this one:

What if the Living World story worked for both the dragons and these seemingly pointless filler arcs? The way I would have designed it is as follows:

Let’s say our next Elder Dragon fight is against Kralkatorrik.
• Release 1 new zone per month – start with opening the gate in Fields of Ruin, next to Ebonhawke, to enter the first area of the Crystal Desert.
• The Living Story will revolve around Zojja trying to gather Destiny’s Edge and other supporters to begin the campaign against Kralk.
• Next month release the 2nd area of the Crystal Desert – the story advances by having new threats appear to hinder the progress of the campaign. For example: Scarlet’s Invasion COULD have been placed here. This would give us plot points about her motives and such.
• Continue expanding the Crystal Desert with 1 zone per month adding new mini-stories that may or may not be directly linked to Kralk, but by being in the way of the campaign against him, they are a problem that needs to be overcome.
• The Dragon’s Lair could get a month of it’s own for example: the place where Glint resided in GW1. More story about her ties with Kralk, and the Zephyrites…

This system also fulfills ANET’s vision of “expansions”. They’d actually be releasing all the things you’d normally find in an expansion, via Living Story instead: new areas, new skills, progress to the main story against the dragons, possibly even new races if they chose to start from Dominion of Winds for example (the Tengu).

nice idea i like it really i think once a month per area might be too much… im thinking an area every other month would be better that gives then a whole month at least to ad more stuff to those areas

in Living World

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Ah yes, lets ignore everything else in the world because there are dragons.
I am sure the real world completely stopped and everyone focused on the war during WWII….

A world where there only is a single issue (dragons in this case) is a dead and boring world.

The Living Story is a bunch of episodic installments of Mario constantly saving the kidnapped Princess set against the backdrop of Mass Effect’s Reaper invasion.

And you use the word “world” to describe Tyria. A world, if it’s worth its salt, must be crafted and cultivated organically (as it was with the initial release). There’s nothing organic about the Living Story. It’s all mechanical.

in Living World

Posted by: Grimrah.9256

Grimrah.9256

I am not sure but, I do know this……this particular living story content is the grindiest and least interesting for me thus far. World Invasions is a lot like RIFT does and I left RIFT for this because it was different…please stir in a different direction. The going around the world needing to solve mysteries and riddles as you battle epic creatures is a wonderful way of experience GW2. The game is magnificent and you guys and gals at Arenanet have given me my life’s dream fulfilled in GW2 but, please do not lower your bar or standard and put out something with a little more substance then this particular one. I mean fighting hoards of mutated enemies that we fight on a regular basis already? Really ? we can do better I am sure.