Is it worthwile to replay the LS?

in Living World

Posted by: AgCNO.6427

AgCNO.6427

I haven’t delved very deep into the story of GW2 as of now, but as far as I’ve noticed the story of the core game offers at least 3 more or less different playthroughs.

I have three different main characters of the same race and the story feels different enough that it seems worthwhile for me to play through the core story with all of them, but after that, will it be as worthwhile to play LS season 2, HoT story and LS season 3 with all three of them? Or shall I just pick one of them to do these stories only once?

in Living World

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

After the core story, there is very little difference in the story between different characters. A few minor dialog differences to account for which order you joined or similar situations aside, it plays out the same for every character.

in Living World

Posted by: AgCNO.6427

AgCNO.6427

Are there at least enough rewards that playing it on multiple characters makes it worthwhile?

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

There are very minor differences playing the living story chapters through as a different race or profession (although Confessor’s End has more unique mechanics). Most of the differences are documented on the wiki, if you are really curious, as differences in season 2, at least, tended to be in non-spoken areas. HoT does have quite a bit of difference between a sylvari character and non-sylvari character, but otherwise has fairly little difference between the main story and deviant paths.

However, there is some benefit in replaying the instances if you want to get the achievements. Season 2 achievements could not be earned on the first playthrough, while season 3 can be earned the first time yet you might not get them all. But if you don’t care about achievements at all, there’s not really anything worth a second playthrough.

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There’s the 3 different backpacks in the HoT story…which require 3 play-throughs, I believe.

Not sure if you are interested in those.

Good luck.

in Living World

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

You have to play through LWS2 at least twice to get the rewards, since you can’t earn the achievements on the first playthrough (note that this is twice on the same character). You can also get the mats for more mawdreys I believe if you play through it on another character, as well as a few Carapace armor pieces if you don’t want to farm bandi crests to buy them.

You should play through HoT story at least 5 times. Its a short story, should only take a few hours, and it gives you several things. For one, you get the 3 backpacks which require 3 different characters playing through it. But you also get auric and chak weapons, 1 per character, which are otherwise a pain to collect (imo), and now you need 5 characters that have completed it to get all of the caladbolg weapons. Furthermore, if you haven’t maxed your masteries it gives a nice chunk of experience.

LWS3 all of the rewards can be obtained through 1 playthrough AFAIK.

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If you play through HoT enough times (you will need a lot of alts), you can complete the ley armor collection, which awards an ascended armor box on top of getting all 18 skins without having to spend a ton of resources or getting good RNG in multiple DS runs with your pod openings.

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Most of the game’s rewards are, in my opinion, not intrinsically valuable enough to make it worth repeating any content unless you are also getting something else out of it besides the value of the rewards.

For me, I repeated LS3.1, 3.2, & 3.3. It was a way to get additional map currencies without ‘farming’ the map (something that puts me to sleep) I also liked trying to get faster and faster at completing the stories, which is kind of fun for me.

Some people play through multiple times for achievements (as others mentioned). I have friends who replay because the want to get a chance to hear & see the little details (lore or decorations or, “was that really a picture of…!”).

The short story is: it’s worth replaying if you have something you want from replaying. If you can’t think of anything (including simply that you find it fun), don’t bother.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

I’ve been playing back through on all my characters. Partly to get all the Caladbolg weapons, but also because I find it interesting to do it on different classes and see what seems easy or hard for each.

And, after finishing the first run through of the Caladbolg quest, and knowing who lives and who dies, and what happens in HoT, some chapters are more emotiinally powerful and interesting.

But I also agree that the loot alone doesn’t justify it at all, though I have been lucky with unidentified dye drops.

in Living World

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

LS2: if you get all of the replay achievements, you will have 8 ascended trinkets of varying stats (no zerker or viper but a variety of other stuff), and you will have unlocked the hardest part of the Luminescent Armor collection, which if you complete it (the rest is just running 3 separate chars through LS2, and a large scavenger hunt in the Silverwastes) gets you a free ascended armor piece. Plus beautiful glowy blue butterfly armor skins!

As far as the rest, I like having a direction for my characters. Following the storylines gives them places to go and things to do. And the rewards are nice enough perks to act as carrots IMO; they warm my collector’s heart.