Is the story bugged? (Confessors End)

in Living World

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

I don’t like the way Counter-Magic is used. I suppose it’s meant to be keybound, but I keep wanting to hover my mouse over it, expecting some sort of tooltip about what I’m supposed to be doing.

The counter magic tutorial was in the first episode, which explained that it reverses the effects of whatever you are countering. It’s a generic skill, so the tooltip isn’t going to help. In this case, it interrupts his shadowstep combo.

How are you supposed to know that if you don’t have time to look at stuff?

It’s always a no brainer move to use it if it is available. You don’t have to worry about any tradeoffs for cooldowns or any skill synergy weirdness. It is always a universally good thing whatever it does in context. It took me awhile to realize that, because I too was trying to read the tool tip.

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I don’t like the way Counter-Magic is used. I suppose it’s meant to be keybound, but I keep wanting to hover my mouse over it, expecting some sort of tooltip about what I’m supposed to be doing.

The counter magic tutorial was in the first episode, which explained that it reverses the effects of whatever you are countering. It’s a generic skill, so the tooltip isn’t going to help. In this case, it interrupts his shadowstep combo.

Generally just assume that anytime that it comes up on screen, you should use it.

Wow, interesting way to play. Don’t worry that you don’t know what this new thing will do because you don’t have time to figure it out, just press it instead of one of the other things that you know will be useful to your character…

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Counter magic is explained to you in episode 1 by the NPCs with the tutorial to destroy the shards, then the elementals. Figuring out what counter magic does specifically is simply assuming the reverse of what happens when you don’t use it. In the first fight with Caudecus, it should be obvious that when you use it, he teleports to you and is stunned. If you don’t use it, he teleports to you and launches you. The second fight is the same, except he’s CC immune and is no longer stunned.

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Generally just assume that anytime that it comes up on screen, you should use it.

Wow, interesting way to play. Don’t worry that you don’t know what this new thing will do because you don’t have time to figure it out, just press it instead of one of the other things that you know will be useful to your character…

Well it is explained clearly in the first episode.

in Living World

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Unless chapter 4 is the first Season 3 story you’re starting with, I’m not sure how anyone would not know that counter magic is an option to repel an existing attack.

That is, the option only exists when the attack is imminent or occuring. You get it from both story and open world, and there’s plenty of places the mechanic is taught.

It’s like saying you don’t know how to remove bleeding and poison by the time you reach the Silverwastes. It’s true many people probably don’t. There’s no real condition removal tutorial.

But I think most of us have worked out how to do it.

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Counter magic is explained to you in episode 1 by the NPCs with the tutorial to destroy the shards, then the elementals. Figuring out what counter magic does specifically is simply assuming the reverse of what happens when you don’t use it. In the first fight with Caudecus, it should be obvious that when you use it, he teleports to you and is stunned. If you don’t use it, he teleports to you and launches you. The second fight is the same, except he’s CC immune and is no longer stunned.

Of course anyone should know that “counter” and “magic” = countering the magic that is being used against you. But you just illustrated my point – you don’t know exactly what it does against any specific attack except by trial and error. Its not like it just stops the attack. That would literally be what “counter magic” is. Instead it has a very specific reaction to each different attack. But since it is only part of your UI while the attack is being used against you, it is very difficult to read what the Counter will be. You have to just use it and then be ready to react to what it does even though you don’t know what that will be unless you read up ahead of time. Very annoying way to try to win a boss fight.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

But since it is only part of your UI while the attack is being used against you, it is very difficult to read what the Counter will be. You have to just use it and then be ready to react to what it does even though you don’t know what that will be unless you read up ahead of time. Very annoying way to try to win a boss fight.

Figuring out what counter magic does specifically is very easy. You’ll see what it does if you use it and see what it prevents if you don’t. Trial and error is a part of every game. It’s not like you know what the boss is going to do or even what’s expected of you besides winning.

It doesn’t really matter what it actually does because it’s always beneficial. It’s always going to negate whatever the attack was that triggered it. It’s just a cheap reactionary ability that you can simply spam to ignore.

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

The other thing is that, even if you could read the tooltip for “Counter Magic”, it is exactly the same for every instance of it, and never details exactly what it does. Whether it’s against the bloodstones draining your health, the Executioner dropping swords on you, or Caudecus smacking your face, the tooltip gives you the exact same message. So instead of worrying about what it will do, it’s more productive to just use it and figure out what happened afterwards.

in Living World

Posted by: Jade.7614

Jade.7614

I think mine is bugged. I cannot even get past the elementals to get to the end fight. The blood stone crystals are supposed to damage their break bar, but it is not doing anything. I am using the counter magic- nothing- nada- zilch effect

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think mine is bugged. I cannot even get past the elementals to get to the end fight. The blood stone crystals are supposed to damage their break bar, but it is not doing anything. I am using the counter magic- nothing- nada- zilch effect

The breakbar isn’t the key; it’s using your special skill and moving yourself so that the opponent is inside the beam between you & the bloodstone. You’ll need to use that for the fights after the earth elementals, so this is a good time to practice.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”