It's Bold and the Beautiful: the GW2 edition

in Living World

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Seriously, do I really need to listen to Marjory and Kasmeer bang on and on about their relationship while doing my supposedly epic quest? I thought you guys said you learned from Season 1, but the level of uninteresting NPC dialogue is just through the roof and I haven’t even played 20 minutes.

Do I really have to spend every story quest with these people from now on?

in Living World

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

Given their involvement in season 1, it would be a bit odd if they disappeared from the story all of a sudden right now.

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

in Living World

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

Yes arena net, you should stop focusing on character development, everyone knows that this aspect of story telling is a waste of time.

There is obviously a reason to why she have been acting weird. Wait for the story to progress before you past judgement. It’s been out for not even 2 hours.

And maybe you should not have so high hopes for story in a mmo in the first place. It won’t be Game Of Thrones material, never will ..
Personally I don’t care for the story at all. It’s so mediocre. But that’s just something i’ve gotten used to when playing mmos :P

in Living World

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

I don’t want them to disappear—I enjoy them—but I think the lesson has been learned. I’ve only done a couple of the story instances so far, but I find their interaction to be a lot more mature and “realistic” if that doesn’t sound insane when discussing a fantasy game.

After all, c’mon. If things ever get too syrupy, there’s Taimi to smack some sense into everybody!

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

in Living World

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

The OP is right. It feels forced, and this soap opera isn’t interesting, at all. Can’t they think of something else, instead of a lesbian love relationship, that interjects itself in every episode along the main story?

in Living World

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Well, it’s just not Kasmeer and Marjory for me, honestly. The whole level of writing and NPC dialogue is just cringe-worthy again. (having finished the story content for now) it doesn’t feel like it has the necessary gravitas or humour. You should try to make me care for these characters, but it’s not happening.

Or maybe I’m just indeed expecting too much from an MMO storyline like jokke said. But GW1 NPC’s were interesting and storylines good, dang it! Why can’t we have the same level of writing here?

in Living World

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

those 2 “ladies” are my least favorite npc in any video game ever and i want both of them dead, i hope they are both dead before the end of season 2

in Living World

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

Well, it’s just not Kasmeer and Marjory for me, honestly. The whole level of writing and NPC dialogue is just cringe-worthy again. (having finished the story content for now) it doesn’t feel like it has the necessary gravitas or humour. You should try to make me care for these characters, but it’s not happening.

Or maybe I’m just indeed expecting too much from an MMO storyline like jokke said. But GW1 NPC’s were interesting and storylines good, dang it! Why can’t we have the same level of writing here?

It sounds more like they are trying to please the LGBT community (or someone at anet) , rather than making interesting characters to care about. Majory was an awesome character, and kasmeer was an awesome character, until all we see is them talking about their relationship, every… single… time…

Anet hasnt learned anything, and this update, other than a couple of things, were 99% hype. This isn’t epic, this isn’t fun, its 1 small new zone and TOOLTIP FIXES.

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

those 2 “ladies” are my least favorite npc in any video game ever and i want both of them dead, i hope they are both dead before the end of season 2

I’m beginning to feel the same about them. It’s like those annoying couples that go on and on about themselves. I really hope they slowly fade away and retire to their love nest.

The issue I find is Marjory and Kasmeer were interesting characters at the beginning and now have turned into these two obnoxious lovers.

in Living World

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Allow us to proceed with the content without forcing us to stop to listen to their girl issues.

Marjory. MARJORY. Stop chatting up your girlfriend and GIVE ME THE KITTEN CRYSTAL.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I do not mind their relationship but having them stop and chat at every opportunity feels awkward and forced, it makes me feel like a creepy eavesdropper. It also feels completely out of place when they start up when we are meant to be hurriedly trying to accomplish something.

No matter the sexual orientation I could really do with less meaningless npc relationships in my epic storyline. At this point it is just mindless filler, it adds nothing to the story.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Living World

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

Agreed, I get it your in love, you care about each other, now kitten and help me search for this VIP who might be captured or dead….

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

in Living World

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

So much anger…

I actually really like Marjory and Kas.

in Living World

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

Seriously… season 1 is over. Why bother continuing telling the stories of the heroes who no one really gives a unholy pigtail about. -_- You can easily see that Marjory and Kas were the main focus while that Norn guy and Charr girl was forced into the picture just so “they won’t get left out”.

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

There’s a big difference this time around compared to season one. In season one almost all of their scenes were optional. You could complete all the content without ever having to spend time listening to them talk because it was ambient dialogue at a camp or something.

Suddenly we spent an entire release following them around, while we thought we were investigating a terrorist attack and delving into a new part of the world, what we were really doing was listening to these two go on about themselves, each other or their family. You couldn’t skip it – it was required to sit through it to progress the instances.

It was really strange, these instances felt like The Walking Dead the game, well in a way. I don’t mean the tone or the story, but these instances felt like an interactive novel/puzzle game with minimal gameplay. Unlike The Walking Dead, you have no agency – you still have to make the exact choices the biconics offer you. It feels weird playing a game where the gameplay becomes minimal and the NPCs talking about each other becomes such a big component of it.

Given their involvement in season 1, it would be a bit odd if they disappeared from the story all of a sudden right now.

We’re in Maguuma and members of the Pact as well as one of the three Orders. It’s strange that the biconics are in the story at all. Now that we know Scarlet is involved (again…) it’s tolerable that the biconics stick around, but what business do the biconics have in Maguuma in the first place? It would have made more sense to pair us with Seraph, Zephyrites (who wouldn’t like a prominent Zephyrite NPC to work with?) or someone from our Order or the Pact (dragon activity and all). I just hope once the Scarlet story is tied up the biconics can be shelved and the story can move onto more world relevant NPCs. Wouldn’t it be awesome if each release had three optional paths to take based on your Order instead of the playdate the writers put us on with the biconics?

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

I think I speak for everyone in this thread when I type ’we’ve had enough of Kasmeer and Marjory’. We all clearly want a male couple, that will set things right, the majority of this thread identifies more with a same-sex male couple.

in Living World

Sarrs.4831

I think I speak for everyone in this thread when I type ’we’ve had enough of Kasmeer and Marjory’. We all clearly want a male couple, that will set things right, the majority of this thread identifies more with a same-sex male couple.

trahearne x canach pls anet. fruit salad!

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Living World

Posted by: lorddavito.2395

lorddavito.2395

Why not make use of this situation?

Come on ANET, Game of Thrones style, murder them!

You can do this.. you did it with ‘Morning’ now do it with them!

Just don’t let it be to romantic ….. again…..

-Sâmbuca

in Living World

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

Yeah i already hate these guys more than Trahearne, Scarlet and Kormir together.. ><
Cant they stop to act so overly… unrealistic and stop pushing my character out of her own story more than trahearne could ever do

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

… her own story…

You are mistaken; this is the World’s story. You are only here because of your merits amongst your people, the recognition of an Order, and your abilities when faced with Zhaitan’s minions. Just because you see these people as stepping stones, doesn’t make them not people.

in Living World

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

I’m gay and I like the characters separate more than together chiefly because they’re so horribly co-dependent that I want them to stop.

And I thought we were clear in that we didn’t like Scarlet at all, but here she is. Again. She’s dead and this entire first chapter was once again wasting time explaining her. We don’t care. Scarlet was a crappy character. It’s time to move on from trying to get us to like or understand her, Angel. We don’t want to do either.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

I’m gay…

So?

in Living World

Sarrs.4831

And I thought we were clear in that we didn’t like Scarlet at all, but here she is. Again. She’s dead and this entire first chapter was once again wasting time explaining her. We don’t care. Scarlet was a crappy character. It’s time to move on from trying to get us to like or understand her, Angel. We don’t want to do either.

Something I really would have preferred here;

I would have liked it if it wasn’t a 10 minute segment with enough VA to choke a cat. I don’t think that entire block of stuff should have been required reading; a lot of it was waffling about the metaphysics of the universe when, while it is nice to know, isn’t necessary to understand the plot at hand. It should’ve been;

Bust down the door
“wow look at all this junk”
“oh here’s her diary”
braham tries to read it and he can’t because he didn’t finish elementary school
he gives it to taimi
“okay so apparently something happened in the mine isn’t that super cool! let’s go”
everybody except taimi piles out of the house because taimi is a scarlet fangirl

Then you can either stick around and read all of scarlet’s junk and talk it over with Taimi, or leave because you’ve got places to be and people to kill. The entire (mandatory) scene should have taken 2 minutes.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Living World

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

I’m gay…

So?

It sounds more like they are trying to please the LGBT community

I am part of said community. I do not consider this relationship as pleasing me. It displeases me. If we’re going to pretend this couple is meant to serve a community, a member of that community has every right to stand up and say, “You’re incorrect.”

in Living World

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

You guys realize all the chatting is probably because we complained that early in season 1 we didn’t have enough information and that Scarlet came out of nowhere, right? They need to work on the scripting tech a bit as it doesn’t seem like the characters can walk and talk at the same time (they seem to mostly move to an area, stop, talk, and repeat). But I don’t really have any problems with the amount of exposition they’re giving us and how they’re giving it to us especially considering this is the opening act that needs to get everyone on the same page.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

I’m gay…

So?

It sounds more like they are trying to please the LGBT community

I am part of said community. I do not consider this relationship as pleasing me. It displeases me. If we’re going to pretend this couple is meant to serve a community, a member of that community has every right to stand up and say, “You’re incorrect.”

I’m not pretending anything; I’m adventuring with a couple. End of discussion.

Any significance placed on their sexual orientation is player figment.

in Living World

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

If the Logan Ritlock dialog in the story dungeons was like this it would have been more entertaining then the angst those two had going on.

in Living World

Posted by: Hyperbolus.7653

Hyperbolus.7653

First, I wouldn’t really call Marjory and Kasmeer’s relationship soap operay. To me soap operay is characterised by lots and lots of forced drama, not mushy romance.

Second, I personally enjoy character development and interaction more than plot. To me a plot is meaningless if I can’t enjoy the characters involved. On this note I enjoyed this update. I am liking the b-team more than Destinies Edge more and more.

I understand that some people can’t stand romantic subplots, but did Marjory and Kasmeer’s romantic subplot really play that big of a role in this update. All I can remember is the initial conversation about Marjorys health (mirrored by the similar conversation with Braham) and then the finishing of that conversation early on in the next quest. Other than that, the closest it comes to mentioning their relationship is Marjory and her pet names and thats more a character trait then anything. In terms of voice dialogue and character development, I think Marjory and her relationship with her sister had the most time devoted to it.

in Living World

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

Ah please we all know if players were allowed to skip dialogues the majority will not know what is going on in the Story because they’re too itchy to get the stuff done and start killing things again rather than pay attention to the storyline.

Jokes aside:

This is only part 1 of the storyline as we progress towards the next Elder Dragon. Were you expecting some kind of epic introduction basked with explosions and massive armies fighting each other? As of now Part 1 is the reunion part of the story just to cover how each character is recovering form their last major battle.

We probably won’t see less drama and more action until later in the story anyways.

With the story still being in the introduction stage expect…

1) plenty of drama
2) Introductions to the new threat slowly
3) some “shocking” links to old villains actions being only the beginning of a much bigger threat (Scarlet of course but it been quite obvious she was a pawn to the real threat)
4) plenty of reunion moments story plots.
5) then finally later in the story all the drama and plot holes will be replaced with action and answers.

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I wouldn’t get to angry. Yes, I don’t like these characters as they’re a bit…. Mish-mashed, same like most of Destiny’s Edge 2.0, but while some of their dialogues are like “Oh, was so good, but now…bleh, bleh” I simply don’t care that much about them.

Instead, I focus on story presentation. Big +1 for ANet for adding more character involvement in these dialogues.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Living World

Posted by: GeneralFarsight.6897

GeneralFarsight.6897

Personally, I wouldn’t have had any problems with their dialog if they kept their “lovey-dovey”-ness to the beginning, back in the Seraph camp after we defeated the Inquest. That was, in my opinion, the perfect moment for them to work all of their “oh I was so worried about you” and “oh I’m fine”. I really think there is a time and place for such things, and the middle of a rescue mission is neither the time nor the place for such dialog.

I mean, like someone else mentioned, having to wait for them to work their issues so that they would give me a crystal to continue progressing really annoyed me. Maybe if they hadn’t spent so much time fawning over each other while we were climbing we would have been able to save that lady instead of arriving just in time to hear her last words…

To be honest, I’m liking the writing of the characters in this start of season, except for these two. Right now, it kind of feels to me like they are going “did we mention we are a couple today?”. I really hope Anet writers think a bit more about when it’s appropriate for these two to start talking about their relationship so that this does not develop into a full on Romantic Plot Tumor.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

Personally, I wouldn’t have had any problems with their dialog if they kept their “lovey-dovey”-ness to the beginning, back in the Seraph camp after we defeated the Inquest. That was, in my opinion, the perfect moment for them to work all of their “oh I was so worried about you” and “oh I’m fine”. I really think there is a time and place for such things, and the middle of a rescue mission is neither the time nor the place for such dialog.

I mean, like someone else mentioned, having to wait for them to work their issues so that they would give me a crystal to continue progressing really annoyed me. Maybe if they hadn’t spent so much time fawning over each other while we were climbing we would have been able to save that lady instead of arriving just in time to hear her last words…

To be honest, I’m liking the writing of the characters in this start of season, except for these two. Right now, it kind of feels to me like they are going “did we mention we are a couple today?”. I really hope Anet writers think a bit more about when it’s appropriate for these two to start talking about their relationship so that this does not develop into a full on Romantic Plot Tumor.

It doesn’t become a rescue mission until after the torture victim is discovered. Before that, it’s an investigation. Typically, investigations aren’t in too much of a hurry, lest you overlook something.

When they’re confronted with Inquest a second time, during what’s suppose to be an investigation, some people will want to voice concern about how sudden their loved one’s death could be. Especially someone like Kasmeer, who has lost everything.

Some people keep their relationship private, others like PDA.