Karma diminishing returns (DR) in Wintersday

in Living World

Posted by: kaede.4751

kaede.4751

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this whilst doing Wintersday activities.

I just did a 16-min run of Winter Wonderland, and my first two or three runs gave me about 6800 karma (using snowglobe booster, candy cane, and karma banner). Then it dropped off sharply to around 1360 karma per run. The same happened in Bell Choir after a few songs.

Might be just me, but … if that’s diminishing returns in action, isn’t it kind of harsh? That’s a huge drop-off, especially if it occurs mid-instance instead of, say, after the first time you complete a full instance of an activity.

I’m not too bothered about it (1300+ karma per anything is still pretty decent, and I’m not actively farming it) but was just thinking about it, and wondering if this is par for the course as far as DR implementation goes.

Thoughts?

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I don’t think its DR.

Rather, I believe that ~1000 karma (unboosted) is the intended normal amount, but they give a bonus reward for the first couple of Wintersday activities you do each day. Probably to give a little extra to players who don’t have a lot of time to play.

The main reason I think that is that the karma above the “normal” amount seems to come separate from it, at least sometimes. Sometimes I just get a lump sum of like 6000 karma, but other times I see it as 1000 karma and then an extra 5000 (and sometimes even another 1000 as well).

That and the fact that 6000 karma per jumping puzzle run / bell choir song is kind of ridiculous.

in Living World

Posted by: kaede.4751

kaede.4751

@Electro — Yeah, I haven’t managed to work out why sometimes you get a bulk lot of karma, and other times it shows up in multiple lots. But you may be right about the ‘reward for the first few times’ thing. Thanks for responding!

in Living World

Posted by: wolfer.1587

wolfer.1587

The first three times you do the JP, bell choir, or arena you get bonus karma.

If you want karma, every day you should pop your boosters, donate to orphans, and then do a few rounds in the activity. You’ll earn more than it costs to buy 100 daily presents from the merchant doing this.