Kasmeer's portal skill

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Sarika.3756

Sarika.3756

My mesmer wants to learn Kasmeer’s version of portal…

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Mine wants to learn Anise’s spell that lets you look like other people. Or to summon 10+ illusions at once.

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

They should really add it as an Elite skill in the future. Make it so you can ground target 1500 feet away for the exit portal, and the entrance appears at your feet. Because that would be a game changer.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I detest stories that have to use a “deus ex machina” mechanic to forward the story.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Swag Captain.5318

Swag Captain.5318

Djinn… you mean Asura ex Machina.

SCIENCE!

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I detest stories that have to use a “deus ex machina” mechanic to forward the story.

I wouldn’t consider Kas’ portal to be a deus ex machina, since that is probably how the spell is used in lore. The players just can’t use it that way because it would be grossly overpowered.

What I would consider a bit of a deus ex machine is Marjory’s “bone bridge”. I seriously had a WTF moment when she pulled that spell out of nowhere.

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Shardelyss.4807

Shardelyss.4807

I actually got onto that bone bridge before she pulled it out from under me… wasn’t a fun time after that I can tell you. I hit the floor like a sack of wet cement, died and was unable to continue (no check points etc. popped up at all). At that point I said wth and used a rez orb… and then promptly was stuck at the bottom of the pit as their prisoner.

I think it was Jory’s way of getting even when in the previous chapter where Kas claims, “something is blocking my magic”… I, out of spite, cast portal and then make a portal on the other side while saying:

“Don’t know about you, but my mesmer skills are working just fine.”

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Kasmeer can also blink across gaps, yet another thing we can’t do for no real reason.

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Kasmeer can also blink across gaps, yet another thing we can’t do for no real reason.

Actually I am rather sure we can. If the gap is short enough.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Not really. We can only Blink to areas that we can reach by running from our current position. We can’t even blink up small jumps. Maybe there are a few spots in the game where there is a way to run to the gap though (pathing glitches) and so it works there.

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

We can probably do most things Kasmeer does but they would be imbalanced considering game play (especially PVP, also, imagine if we were able to use Kasmeer styled portals during Jumping Puzzles. Or her blinks….)

I also questioned the same thing Shardelyss. The whole time, I was like… Your not the only Mesmer in the world, Kasmeer. (But again… Mechanic reasons…)

During my play through, I even made a portal for the NPCs and they refused. What snobs.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

(edited by LumAnth.5124)

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

One thing to note (other than gameplay purposes), our characters are supposed to be regular mesmers (and warriors, and guardians and so on), while Kasmeer is supposed to be an exceptionally skilled mesmer, which is why she was sent by the mesmer collective to investigate the tower and was able to break the spell hiding it.

That said, my guardian would also want that impenetrable bubble shield of light that Logan does at the end of CoF story..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

Kasmeer has completed the Citadel of Trials. Thus she has earned the Rat’s Tail. By presenting this to Bahamut, Kasmeer has earned the class change. And has thus become a better and more upgraded version of the Mesmer class.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Kasmeer has completed the Citadel of Trials. Thus she has earned the Rat’s Tail. By presenting this to Bahamut, Kasmeer has earned the class change. And has thus become a better and more upgraded version of the Mesmer class.

Kasmeer has upgraded to Mesmore!

@topic: I believe that Kasmeer has traded functionality for power. She couldn’t just place it on the other side of the pit in Cornered, even though it’s possible to jump across with a lightning leap, and player portals can extend farther than many players can set their view distance.

That would also be why she is unable to place portals near the jamming devices. They’re too weak. The player portals, however, are far stronger. They just can’t be placed remotely.

It would also explain why Kasmeer’s portals can last indefinitely while a player’s portals have a very limited time span. Hers use far less power, and so can be sustained longer, while the player’s use more power, so they burn up sooner. Kind of like the difference in running a tablet on highest brightness and communications going (player) vs lowest brightness in airplane mode (Kasmeer) can change your battery life drastically.

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

There’s also her insane recharge time. She was clearly opening portals in expanses shorter than 72 seconds.

As for Marjory’s bridge, all you had to do was show fossils of a large creature jutting out of the wall and I would have bought in to her creativity wholesale.

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Game mechanics and balance answer much of the “Why can’t my mesmer do that!?!?!” complaints.

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

Game mechanics and balance answer much of the “Why can’t my mesmer do that!?!?!” complaints.

but….. :’(

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

Proper game design would limit NPCs to the same mechanics as players and then build storylines, quests, dungeons and other confrontations around those limitations.

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Proper game design would limit NPCs to the same mechanics as players and then build storylines, quests, dungeons and other confrontations around those limitations.

Not really.
If a NPC is SUPPOSED to be stronger and better than the PC it would make no sense whatsoever to put the same limitation on that NPCs as on the PC.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m still confused as to how she can have this awesome version of a portal skill, but can’t Rez a downed Zeph before they die.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

One thing to note (other than gameplay purposes), our characters are supposed to be regular mesmers (and warriors, and guardians and so on), while Kasmeer is supposed to be an exceptionally skilled mesmer, which is why she was sent by the mesmer collective to investigate the tower and was able to break the spell hiding it.

That said, my guardian would also want that impenetrable bubble shield of light that Logan does at the end of CoF story..

basically our character was killing 10 rats in a field with a stick 2 years ago.. destiny’s edge kills dragon champions.. no, our character didn’t kill zhaitan.. we helped kill zhaitan

also, my character is a staff elementalist.. they are more proficient at using staff skills as apposed to dragon’s tooth.. it’s possible our living story guild studied/ trained differently.. liadri is a mesmer, wouldn’t that be a “fun” elite skill for pvp  not..  scarlet was an engineer, we should be able to summon a breachmaker  right?

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

(edited by cheshirefox.7026)

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

If they wanted to properly do the npcs, I’d say have the friendly ones have the same mechanics as enemy ones. Aka, a level 10 seraph vs a level 10 centaur = a draw or whoever hit first wins, instead of the typical “friendly gets downed, bad guy wins.”

I’m still confused as to how she can have this awesome version of a portal skill, but can’t Rez a downed Zeph before they die.

Because she’s a MESMER, not a monk.

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Dakota.4591

Dakota.4591

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

When YOU become the next avatar of Lyssa, you can do all the neat tricks Kas can:

- Dismantle sky-high illusions.
- Maintain an army of phantasms.
- Detect lies.
- Portal self at will.
- Effortlessly charm females.
- Substitute aether as clothing.
- Wield the gaudiest staff in the game.
- And much, much more!

(edited by Sariel V.7024)

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

So in your opinion, proper game design would homogenize all entities, player or non-player, remotely linked to each other through schools of magic or skill regardless of what the story would have to say about how powerful that person is?

So in your opinion, proper game design would mean there should be no “enemy-only” skills, as they should all only be able to have learned what your character can? No bosses should have special attacks any different from what your player character has, because they couldn’t have possibly learned anything on their own?

So in your opinion, every game might as well just be PVP?

It doesn’t matter that the 1,000-year-old guy has been studying magic for 975 of those years. He still shouldn’t have learned any spells that my 20-something character hasn’t!

Kasmeer's portal skill

in Living World

Posted by: Shardelyss.4807

Shardelyss.4807

I think if we could actually have proper branching events occur depending on the class a player plays that something like this could be used by your player instead of relying on an NPC to use in the story.

At that point, it would be ‘so what’ you can’t do it in game play mechanics, the point is you’re not suppose to, you’re doing it in a story section. (As we know, story scenes let you do any number of things you can’t do when you’re just playing the game cuz it’s “story” – time to pull the bunny out of the hat) Story does not = game play otherwise all those times you died playing this game… story wise would say you were dead and oh well.

And before anyone says you can’t do branching like that cuz “branching gives more work”… it doesn’t have to give more work depending on how it is done. It’s a detail in an event that has come and gone… it doesn’t need to be referenced again.

(Although, I’m NOT saying I want it to never be referenced again, I’m just saying that is how they could avoid doing the extra work – although a flowchart on who did what and how did this diverge could help keep track.)

The problem with Kasmeer doing it is only so that the pet Mesmer can have more air time and can then have it referenced later in the story. Personally, I’ve seen quite a bit of Kasmeer, I rather see more of Jory. I’d love to see a bit more of a development with her and NOT through Belinda being killed or anything like that.