LS2 - Dragon's Reach 2, a forced wrong choice

in Living World

Posted by: darkwarrior.6102

darkwarrior.6102

So going through old story, and just finished the part of Dragon’s Reach 2 called “Taimi and the Asura.”

So here’s my question: Why can’t we just kill Phlunt? At the very least, we should be able to try and talk him down. But the assumes, wrongly, that not only am I willing to work with him for the “greater good”, but that I’m willing to convince Taimi to do so.

He’s evil, greedy, selfish, and willing to sacrifice his people and the world for a bit of profit. I say let all of Rata Sum know that fact, and either they can kick him out and do things properly, or they can die to the dragon’s wrath and we’ll be better off without them.

Hopefully he gets his own sometime… I haven’t finished the other four episodes from season 2.

This is, I think, the first time a “choice” has been forced on me that not only did I not like, but I flat out disagreed with.

I know I’m bit late in complaining about this, but I honestly had to vent. I’ve always enjoyed the story of GW2, and being forced to side with the evil manipulative prick, against my comrade, is wrong on every conceivable level. If he controls Rata Sum, that proves they’re unreliable. You give in to a tyrant’s demands, they don’t magically become reasonable or cooperative, they remain a tyrant and try to screw you over further.

By comparison, the Imperator of the Black Citadel is a bastion of logic and reason…

in Living World

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

Yes, he’s greedy and selfish, but that does it make him inherently evil. Killing him because he’s greedy and wants to claim ownership of Taimi’s work, however, is evil, as is killing him just to send a message to the Arcane Council.

While I agree that giving in to Phlunt feels like a bad choice, it also felt to me like a necessary evil. The problem here is he has something the PC needs (bringing the asuras to the table) and time is of the essence. If there wasn’t a need to bring everyone together quickly, sure, tell him no and call his bluff, but Mordremoth at this point is expanding his reach at an alarming rate and there is no time to waste on politics.

in Living World

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Yes, he’s greedy and selfish, but that does it make him inherently evil. Killing him because he’s greedy and wants to claim ownership of Taimi’s work, however, is evil, as is killing him just to send a message to the Arcane Council.

While I agree that giving in to Phlunt feels like a bad choice, it also felt to me like a necessary evil. The problem here is he has something the PC needs (bringing the asuras to the table) and time is of the essence. If there wasn’t a need to bring everyone together quickly, sure, tell him no and call his bluff, but Mordremoth at this point is expanding his reach at an alarming rate and there is no time to waste on politics.

I don’t know, someone who is greedy, selfish, and steals from disabled children for personal gain could be considered evil.

in Living World

Stitch.1794

Ok, fair point, but it’s a far lesser evil than killing Phlunt for either of the reasons.

in Living World

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Ok, fair point, but it’s a far lesser evil than killing Phlunt for either of the reasons.

Putting an evil being down to prevent him from victimizing children may or may not be evil. I suppose it depends on how inclined you are to see protecting children as a good thing.

in Living World

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I’m a fan of Phlunt! Put that Wesley Crusher wanna-be-know-it-all kid in her place!

I’d rather kill off Taimi and throw a party.

SBI

in Living World

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

darkwarrior — just want to say I had exactly the same feeling about that episode. I was ticked that I had to let Phlunt get away with his greedy, selfish nonsense, and I — like Taimi (whom I love) — wanted to instead give him a swift kick in the pants.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in Living World

Stitch.1794

Putting an evil being down to prevent him from victimizing children may or may not be evil. I suppose it depends on how inclined you are to see protecting children as a good thing.

It’s not that I’m against protecting children from him, just that killing him is overkill for what he’s done (in this instance), and there were bigger concerns in play at the time. There are other ways to deal with him, and hopefully we’ll get the chance to do so at some point in the future.

in Living World

Posted by: Lost Dragons Tail.3760

Lost Dragons Tail.3760

Obviously Anet is following the way entertainment is going and in that sense they are doing exactly what they said they would do. I remember them saying to the effect that they want to give the story like a show. Well how many shows are there out there that you want to just reach in and ring a neck or two. Or similar to this case just kill the antagonist off. And I used antagonist for a reason. We all know the bad guy is mordramoth but it is one of those bad guys that are more of an idea and unseen. So they put in a bad guy that we can hate and want to see die. Who knows there is one instance of an npc that a lot of players learned to hate and I personally feel got his just deserts maybe this one might too.

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

So going through old story, and just finished the part of Dragon’s Reach 2 called “Taimi and the Asura.”

So here’s my question: Why can’t we just kill Phlunt? At the very least, we should be able to try and talk him down. But the assumes, wrongly, that not only am I willing to work with him for the “greater good”, but that I’m willing to convince Taimi to do so.

He’s evil, greedy, selfish, and willing to sacrifice his people and the world for a bit of profit. I say let all of Rata Sum know that fact, and either they can kick him out and do things properly, or they can die to the dragon’s wrath and we’ll be better off without them.

Hopefully he gets his own sometime… I haven’t finished the other four episodes from season 2.

This is, I think, the first time a “choice” has been forced on me that not only did I not like, but I flat out disagreed with.

I know I’m bit late in complaining about this, but I honestly had to vent. I’ve always enjoyed the story of GW2, and being forced to side with the evil manipulative prick, against my comrade, is wrong on every conceivable level. If he controls Rata Sum, that proves they’re unreliable. You give in to a tyrant’s demands, they don’t magically become reasonable or cooperative, they remain a tyrant and try to screw you over further.

By comparison, the Imperator of the Black Citadel is a bastion of logic and reason…

While I agree, it would have been nice to throw him off a cliff, we need the asura. And seeing as he was the only one to show up, we have to deal with him and get him onboard. Maybe later on we get choice of saving him, or someone else. That way he can let him die and not be the bad guy for it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

You guys make a good point. Doing him in isn’t an option. But seriously, a swift kick in the pants? I’ll volunteer!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

You guys make a good point. Doing him in isn’t an option. But seriously, a swift kick in the pants? I’ll volunteer!

I think there is a long line of people who would fight for the opportunity. But I feel a swift kick is too little. He needs a sustained and brutal kick in the pants.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

When he said that he wouldn’t go to the summit without Taimi relinquishing her device to him, I wanted the option to tell him that we would just find someone more important on the council instead. Hit him right in his asuran ego.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in Living World

Posted by: dkostman.1054

dkostman.1054

We aren’t given a choice because it’s not our choice, it’s Taimi’s. It’s her invention, whether or not to sacrifice it for the greater good is a decision that only she can make, and in the end that’s exactly what happens. If she had picked differently the commander would’ve made kitten sure Phlunt didn’t lay a finger on her or her invention, and politics be kitten ed. Where most people would brush her off as, “just a child” the commander recognizes her as a capable, intelligent person and trusts her to do the right thing. You’re not there to make a decision on her behalf, you’re there to give her the security and space to make it herself. At least that’s what I think; I could always be reading into things that aren’t there.

in Living World

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

in Living World

Posted by: RogerBoulet.2938

RogerBoulet.2938

Personally, I actually liked this. It feels realistic. Everyone has met people who were insufferable, but still had to be “diplomatic” with them.

Plus it reminds everyone that the Arcane Council is made up of horrible people (they even have an inquest guy…).

in Living World

Posted by: Firmicute.3876

Firmicute.3876

Oh, no I wouldnt kill phlunt.. There are enough mordrem who´d do that for me and, hey a hero sometimes cant save all and saving a young genuischild over a old rich guy who had his nice life… well its a hard decision, mate, but you may understand…and also taimi is a friend… So… Well it happens`shrug

in Living World

Posted by: ATMAvatar.5749

ATMAvatar.5749

Plus it reminds everyone that the Arcane Council is made up of horrible people (they even have an inquest guy…).

Asura in general are painted as amoral, ends justify the means types, so I don’t know that Phlunt is really much different than any other Asura.

However, the Arcane Countil members are incapable of achieving greatness on their own. The council members are comprised of Asura who can’t hack it as inventors and scholars, so they are stuck doing the mundane political stuff that gets in the way of those who can.

It makes sense that he would take the opportunity to seize a revolutionary invention from someone who can’t really fight back.

in Living World

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

Would have at least liked an option that didn’t mean handing it all to Phlunt.

in Living World

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

text

This is a dead thread; you’d be better off just creating a new one about your Asura topic.

in Living World

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I wasn’t trying tocreate another topic, just to put my opinion on Phlunt.

I made a mistake and put the same post in two threads, and the mods deleted it. It was really intended to be in this thread, so I’m copying here the link to the other post:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lwd/Can-we-please-kill-Phlunt/page/3#post6244555

Sorry to bother.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks