Let's be honest

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: RedTurtle.7048

RedTurtle.7048

Everyone is disappointed in the living world, especially because it doesn’t bring any real permanent content to the table. An expansion needs to be released with tons of new content, including: new zones, dungeons, races, and hopefully a new way for the story to be told. The personal story just doesn’t work for me, I was never drawn into it. I don’t understand why anet is so focused on the living story, when they should be using their time and resources on providing permanent content that wil keep players playing. Instead it’s being used on a living story that nobody is even all that fond of. You’re messing up anet, shape up.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Lets not speak for everyone shall we?
Sure there are issues with the Living World, but there are issues with expansion based content as well.
Personally I prefer getting content more often in smaller chunks than having to wait half a year to get content that will be completed within a week or two.

Claiming that the Living World brings no real permanent content to the table is also a blatant lie (why have we gotten loads of these posts saying more or less the exact same thing and being proven wrong lately? Did the savior ESO fail and thus those people came back here to complain a bit more?).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

Sure there are issues with the Living World, but there are issues with expansion based content as well.
Personally I prefer getting content more often in smaller chunks than having to wait half a year to get content that will be completed within a week or two.

Claiming that the Living World brings no real permanent content to the table is also a blatant lie (why have we gotten loads of these posts saying more or less the exact same thing and being proven wrong lately? Did the savior ESO fail and thus those people came back here to complain a bit more?).

Claiming that the Living World brings no real permanent content to the table is also a blatant lie ??????

Excuse me,

I belong to a minor group of people who plays GW since GW1 and we have always been playing for exiting adventures and quests to be a hero.
For People like us nothing changed since GW2 was released.

I simply and plain don’t care about a new dungeon or a new armor piece or some new pets in gem store.
I enjoy GW for nice story’s paired with huge beautiful zones to roam.
GW2 lacks in all these matters.
GW2 has nicer graphics and more features like the trade post.
But if it comes to fighting mechanics, story telling and story meaning GW2 is
not even on one level with GW1.
GW2 is incredible dummed down to reach a larger target group and that won’t be changed with a new dungeon or a new piece of something in the gem story.

I am used that people who play like us are mostly ignored or yelled at here in the forum.
But calling us liar is little bit more rude than our usual treatment

Let's be honest

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

Oh, that’s quite interesting, because I have played GW1 since about 6 months after Prophecies was released, and I can still see the fact that quite a few things have changed since release of GW2.

Just because you don’t like something being added or changed doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Claiming that is just silly.
GW1 had a rather generic story at times and back then we had almost as much complaints about the story as we currently have about GW2s story.

Fighting mechanics in GW2 is factually better than GW1. As for story-telling and story-meaning that is rather much personal opinion, don’t you think? I recall quite many people having rather major issues with adding Abby as the big bad evil behind everything evil that happened in Prophecies and Factions when Nightfall was released.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Let's be honest

in Living World

RedTurtle.7048

I have been playing gw2 since beta on and off. It is also the only mmo I have played besides gw1. I don’t care about slight changes in the map, that doesn’t give me more to do. I want new zones and a new permanent story line with replay value. Southsun cove is the only new zone. New weapon skills are well overdue, that will definitely make the combat more enjoyable. I just want more things to do than to replay the same dungeons over and over. . 1 year after gw1 was released, the first expansion was. I didn’t like the game until factions came out. So in the end, yeah I guess they released some permanent content, but nothing compared to what other moms have achieved in the same amount of time.

Let's be honest

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

Whole new map in WvW.
Rework of borderlands.
New skills.
Several new PvP-maps.
New dungeon(s).
New reward systems.
New world-bosses.
Etc.

Should I go on? All these things are permanent changes. Then add the massive amount of temporary things added and we have a rather large amount of new stuff.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Let's be honest

in Living World

RedTurtle.7048

They have lost the majority of their player base for a reason. The game needs an expansion if they want those players back, that I can guarantee.

Let's be honest

in Living World

RedTurtle.7048

Whole new map in WvW.
Rework of borderlands.
New skills.
Several new PvP-maps.
New dungeon(s).
New reward systems.
New world-bosses.
Etc.

Should I go on? All these things are permanent changes. Then add the massive amount of temporary things added and we have a rather large amount of new stuff.

Still doesn’t compare to what an expansion could bring. Stop working on living story and use that extra time to work on an expansion. Anet is just trying to half kitten this.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Kurrilino.2706

Oh, that’s quite interesting, because I have played GW1 since about 6 months after Prophecies was released, and I can still see the fact that quite a few things have changed since release of GW2.

Just because you don’t like something being added or changed doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Claiming that is just silly.
GW1 had a rather generic story at times and back then we had almost as much complaints about the story as we currently have about GW2s story.

Fighting mechanics in GW2 is factually better than GW1. As for story-telling and story-meaning that is rather much personal opinion, don’t you think? I recall quite many people having rather major issues with adding Abby as the big bad evil behind everything evil that happened in Prophecies and Factions when Nightfall was released.

I have never heard someone complaining over GW1 storys At least not that a whole forum is on rage like LS.
Sure Abadon and the whole Nightmare areas haven’t been a super masterpiece but it was still good enough to entertain me.
How you rate the fighting mechanic better is far beyond me.
How is pushing constantly #2 button better than managing energy and mix skills to keep an efficient build running. Beside the adventure is missing to collect these skills.
Looking for a special elite boss to steal his skill was amazing and makes me still feeling happy.
Also pure offense ignoring armor is rather uncreative and boring.

Like i said, GW2 is something for these days kids but isn’t offering something new to us who enjoy a good adventure.

BTW i always hear about the new content being there i just can’t see it.
Would you enlighten me where this perma content would be ???
I wanna go there badly.

The description would be: Permanent new maps where i can meet new races
having new adventures maybe new weapons or skills and new experiences i didn’t have since release of GW2.
Please show me where that is and i stop complaining instantly

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

BTW i always hear about the new content being there i just can’t see it.
Would you enlighten me where this perma content would be ???
I wanna go there badly.

The description would be: Permanent new maps where i can meet new races
having new adventures maybe new weapons or skills and new experiences i didn’t have since release of GW2.
Please show me where that is and i stop complaining instantly

That’s an extremely specific definition of “new permanent content.” It’s one thing to want those things, but if you will only accept new content as new content on your own exact terms, how surprising is that you’re disappointed?

For what it’s worth, I generally enjoyed Season 1 of the Living Story. Was it perfect? No. Was it storytelling genius? No. But I had a lot of fun with it, and the frequent updates did an excellent job of keeping me engaged with the game over a long period of time.

I’m looking forward to whatever comes next. Will it be perfect? No. But I’ll probably enjoy it, despite any hiccups.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

Yeah, not everyone is “disappointed in the Living World”. It’s not perfect, but I did enjoy many parts of it, including the ever evolving world and its contents.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Draconius.9076

Draconius.9076

Claiming that the Living World brings no real permanent content to the table is also a blatant lie ??????

Excuse me,

I belong to a minor group of people who plays GW since GW1 and we have always been playing for exiting adventures and quests to be a hero.
For People like us nothing changed since GW2 was released.

I simply and plain don’t care about a new dungeon or a new armor piece or some new pets in gem store.
I enjoy GW for nice story’s paired with huge beautiful zones to roam.
GW2 lacks in all these matters.
GW2 has nicer graphics and more features like the trade post.
But if it comes to fighting mechanics, story telling and story meaning GW2 is
not even on one level with GW1.
GW2 is incredible dummed down to reach a larger target group and that won’t be changed with a new dungeon or a new piece of something in the gem story.

I am used that people who play like us are mostly ignored or yelled at here in the forum.
But calling us liar is little bit more rude than our usual treatment

Don’t despair mate, propheties was pretty easy to however each expansion became harder and harder so the expansions may be harder to play

Guild: Order of an Allied Tyria [OAT] ~°~ Co-leader
Server: Underworld

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

They have lost the majority of their player base for a reason. The game needs an expansion if they want those players back, that I can guarantee.

Where the hell do people keep pulling this statistic from? Is Anet emailing you with their demographic numbers every week? Seriously, speak for yourself and let others agree or disagree with you. The fact that you are unhappy with a feature does not mean GW2 has lost over half of their players. That would be ludicrous.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

(edited by HyruleanHyroe.1473)

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

Living world is a problem. Too much of the stuff is copy paste events where we fight lots of mobs, do a short dungeon and collect achivements for a free hat. Things need mixing up a bit cos most people will get bored of doing the same thing over and over with different mobs.
Also, after a full year of wandering round and round fighting side quests, I think a lot of people are wondering when we’re going to get back to fighting the Elder dragons, which are the essential driving force of the entire personal story.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Insyderznf.6329

Insyderznf.6329

I for one really enjoy the story. I find the writing in GW2 to be some of the best i’ve ever seen in an MMO. Someone is taking the time to come up with all of these stories and they are interesting if you actually take the time to read (or listen) to them.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: sternenstaub.8763

sternenstaub.8763

Where the hell do people keep pulling this statistic from? Is Anet emailing you with their demographic numbers every week? Seriously, speak for yourself and let others agree or disagree with you. The fact that you are unhappy with a feature does not mean GW2 has lost over half of their players. That would be ludicrous.

When we started the game, we actually liked it a lot. We were 9 persons. 3 of us left due to the dungeon and class system. Not knowing what is good, returned to WoW for it’s better and more boring tactical different system.

The other 6 had fun in dungeons and were doing all the stuff that was doable.
Then 3 other left due to the simple fact that there was nothing else to do anymore including LS, because LS is nothing but a klick this*n*that achievement grind. At least that’s what it was as long as i stayed. The last 3 of us left simply because LS was bad, but even worse that we had to do work and sometimes simply had no time to do it. Pushing us out of the chosen few who can actually log in on a regular basis.

I bet we (9 persons) are not the only ones who left because of this. And the people who have time and like the LS are now in the majority because they stayed.

Releasing a LS that is permanent or new content like an expansion would actually bring a lot of people back. Ans believe me, the people with less time who stopped playing, are the same people who have the money for the gem store. Anet will most likely try an expension and if the money talks expansion afterwards, you can kiss the LS goodbye.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I personally enjoyed s1 on the LS.

It had its ups and downs, but what I paid for the game, all the free content has been worth it, whether it be temporary or permanent. Not to mention, the quality of the LS has been gradually improving. So hopefully with the additional revenue that will come with the expanding into the Chinese gaming market, Anet can expand their teams and release more and higher quality content.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

I don’t think the issue is that there has been no permanent content (clearly there has been), but more that the ratio of content made to content that was permanent is so far off. If the work that went into creating the Tower of Nightmares, the Queen’s Gauntlet, the battle of LA, SAB etc. had resulted in a tower we could actually still explore, LA having something to do, the Gauntlet still being around, and SAB not being arbitrarily turned off and on, then that would have been awesome. Heck, even the living story stuff that’s still playable is largely locked behind getting lucky in fractals.

I think we’re getting fantastic value for our money with GW2, I really do. Its just that the dev team could be giving us more content for the same amount of effort simply by designing things which don’t disappear for most of the year or even permanently.

Let's be honest

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

If the work that went into creating the Tower of Nightmares, the Queen’s Gauntlet, the battle of LA, SAB etc. had resulted in a tower we could actually still explore, LA having something to do, the Gauntlet still being around, and SAB not being arbitrarily turned off and on, then that would have been awesome. Heck, even the living story stuff that’s still playable is largely locked behind getting lucky in fractals.

And how awesome would those things be after we have had them for 6 months and they are more or less abandoned because people have moved on to the next cool thing?

That is something people are overlooking. They always shout about stuff being permanent, and yet stuff that actually is permanent (in more or less every game) is usually abandoned quite fast after the novelty wears off.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Let's be honest

in Living World

Kurrilino.2706

I guess there are going by an gaming industries financial interview of a NC-Soft guys last year if i remember right.
He was asked that F2P is still a good idea.
The answer was kinda we can pay our bills but it could be better and that it dropped.
Of course dropping is relative to having all the cash flow coming in after the release.
Anyways… it was mentioned that there are a lot of dead accounts.

Of course it was never said something like half of the players are gone.
But many GW1 vets are just not pleased how stuff is handled and the direction the game is going.

But all that is just a guess why people say something like that

Let's be honest

in Living World

CrashTestAuto.9108

And how awesome would those things be after we have had them for 6 months and they are more or less abandoned because people have moved on to the next cool thing?

That is something people are overlooking. They always shout about stuff being permanent, and yet stuff that actually is permanent (in more or less every game) is usually abandoned quite fast after the novelty wears off.

But if the content isn’t designed as a zerg, who cares if it’s “abandoned”? We have the open world megaservers, world bosses, WvW, PvP, the hubs, and EotM for content where lots of people are. Taking stuff away in case no one plays them is just backwards :S

More importantly, content that is only fun when “novel” isn’t the sort of thing that should be relied upon (nor is it solely the content they’ve made). If SAB was open, people would play it. If the gauntlet was open, people would play it. If activities were playable by guilds or friends and open all the time rather than rotation, people would play them. Even those who didn’t play them would at least be able to say that they have options when they log in, and can introduce new players to the huge variety of things to do in game.

Sure there might not be people in the tower, but would it really hurt anyone to leave it there? Especially new players or players who missed that part of the story.

Let's be honest

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

I think the main issue would be bloating up the world.
If they keep releasing new stuff every two weeks and never remove it, sooner or later the world will just be a massive mess due to massively amount of content that people don’t even bother doing after the first month.

If [insert thing here]was open people would play it for a month, then they would come here and demand something new because “[insert thing here] is so boring!”.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

I guess there are going by an gaming industries financial interview of a NC-Soft guys last year if i remember right.
He was asked that F2P is still a good idea.
The answer was kinda we can pay our bills but it could be better and that it dropped.
Of course dropping is relative to having all the cash flow coming in after the release.
Anyways… it was mentioned that there are a lot of dead accounts.

Of course it was never said something like half of the players are gone.
But many GW1 vets are just not pleased how stuff is handled and the direction the game is going.

But all that is just a guess why people say something like that

Well at least there’s a starting point, even if it’s clearly been exaggerated. I’m totally fine with wanting new content, etc. I do, too. I just HATE unsubstantiated claims like that.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Let's be honest

in Living World

CrashTestAuto.9108

If they keep releasing new stuff every two weeks and never remove it, sooner or later the world will just be a massive mess due to massively amount of content that people don’t even bother doing after the first month.

If [insert thing here]was open people would play it for a month, then they would come here and demand something new because “[insert thing here] is so boring!”.

But that’s just the thing. If [SAB] was open, then yes people would complain that [SAB] is so boring. But I’m not suggesting that [SAB] be open. I’m suggesting that [SAB, Gauntlet, WvW, PvP, Activities, PvE, Fractals, EotM, Dungeons…] be open. We already have rolling content in the form of the LS, the WvW seasons, Halloween, Dragon Bash, Wintersday etc. to give people something to do if they need a “flavour of the month”. But there is content already designed that would add a lot to variety of where to go and what to do if you didn’t feel like grinding out this week’s meta achievement, all they need to do is leave it accessible.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: AnAspieKitten.5732

AnAspieKitten.5732

Then again, there are ways to design things. Design it like a zerg event and yes, unless it’s a championfest, it will be forgotten. Now, you take the SAB which is playable solo or with friends, and that’s a perfect exemple of what COULD stay in the game. Now I’m not saying make it come back permanently (well I wouldn’t mind given I like this event a lot), but design things so they can stay, that’s how people are getting entertained.

S1 of the LS has been, for a lot of events, massive zerging all over the place with little pieces of story. The fact you don’t want to play it again is because it is designed to be temporary.

TL;DR ; Let’s try to actually get some real story with interesting content, like a dungeon (and not a blood prince mini-dungeon as “story”, please, for Colonel Meow’s sake), or whatever you want, and not zerging. Every MMO has grinding in it, people will always be attracted by money, but keeping the living story that way is just making it worse. There are other ways to feel like the world lives on than a massive group of 100 people pressing 1.

Dear Santa,
For christmas I’d like to get a crossbow for my characters.
With love, a cute kitty.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

So… This permanent vs temporary content battle is getting quite boring, I checked the differences from some of the releases found here (so far only posted until Cutthroat Politics): https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/

Temporary:

• Skins: Yeah I’m counting some here since they’re only available in the TP or from the past events, like the desert rose, Scletirte Karka Shell or Scarlet’s helmet.
  • New maps: Realm of the Mad King, Labyrinthine Cliffs.
  • New bosses: Many of them like the Mad King Thorn and the Ancient Karka.
  • New activities: Snowball Fight, Bell Choir, Lunatic Inquisition, Reaper’s Rumble, Dragon Ball, Aspect Arena.
  • New dungeons: Ascent to Madness, Toypocalypse, Canach’s Lair, SAB.
  • New jumping puzzles: Mad King’s Clock Tower.

Permanent:

• New Skins: Most of the ones from previous events are available for BL Trade Tickets, skins from achievements like Hellfire.
  • New maps: Southsun Cove.
  • New PvP maps: Temple of the Silent Storm, Spirit Watch and Banhammer.
  • New bosses: Karka Queen.
  • New activities: Crab toss, Moa Racing, Belcher’s Bluff, Sanctum Sprint, Southsun Survival.
  • New dungeons: Fractals of the Mist.
  • New jumping puzzles: Not so secret, I believe some others came up on Halloween (Mount Maelstrom one?).
  • New Crafting Recipes: Halloween recipes, Wintersday recipes, Celestial, etc…
  • New Gear: Ascended Equipment plus infusions.
  • New miniatures: Tons and tons of them available in the TP (both gems or gold).
  • New outfits: From the various events held.
  • New currencies: Laurels.
  • New toys: Sonic Tunneling, riding brooms, musical instruments.
  • New guild missions with the later added bounty targets.
  • New WvW abilities.

I’m still missing almost a year of content, actually the temporary content also starts to grow in size but still we have gained a lot of things over this almost 2 years, might not be a “content worth of an expansion” but it’s surely been interesting to keep up with the game. I placed SAB and the Clock Tower on temporary since even if they might be recurring we can’t get there today. Might be missing a few of the content.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Ansatsu.2678

Ansatsu.2678

They should make the items you get from LW less grindy. Hell make everything less grindy. So annoying to get all the rare chest, boxes, or achievement chest and you get measly green gear.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

GW1 had a rather generic story at times and back then we had almost as much complaints about the story as we currently have about GW2s story….
I recall quite many people having rather major issues with adding Abby as the big bad evil behind everything evil that happened in Prophecies and Factions when Nightfall was released.

Talk about blatant lie. I followed the game closely on GWGuru & while people always complained about both stories, GW1 had no where near the complaints that the LS got, and the ones that it did get were not even in the same realm of severity.

And Abbadon? bull. It wasn’t even remotely close to Scarlet. & even with base logic she doesn’t fit into the game as well as Abbadon. She has way WAY more holes.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

If the work that went into creating the Tower of Nightmares, the Queen’s Gauntlet, the battle of LA, SAB etc. had resulted in a tower we could actually still explore, LA having something to do, the Gauntlet still being around, and SAB not being arbitrarily turned off and on, then that would have been awesome. Heck, even the living story stuff that’s still playable is largely locked behind getting lucky in fractals.

How often do people run the raids/dungeons in outland (burning crusade) in WoW?

I’d assume not much because why bother when you can do the newest one.

Let's be honest

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

Talk about blatant lie. I followed the game closely on GWGuru & while people always complained about both stories, GW1 had no where near the complaints that the LS got, and the ones that it did get were not even in the same realm of severity.

And Abbadon? bull. It wasn’t even remotely close to Scarlet. & even with base logic she doesn’t fit into the game as well as Abbadon. She has way WAY more holes.

Oh, looks like we had two completely different versions of Guru and GW1 then, because I very much remember people complaining quite a bit about the story. But then again, rose-tinted glasses does tend to make things look better than they actually were.

And yet people very much disliked that the same evil was behind more or less every single thing in all three campaigns.

Which was exactly my point.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Marketing trolls from competing game companies, spreading baseless rumours through psychological wordplay.

I loved GW1, I love GW2 and think the living story both in practice and it theory, is a fantastic way for guild wars 2 to differentiate itself.

Instead of spreading lies to try to get customers for another MMO, why not just submit your resume to ArenaNET and do something that is much more fulfilling?

:)

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

While there is some validity to this, it’s an extreme position that doesn’t reflect how most people actually play.

In my memory of GW1, there was very little of the content that was completely abandoned – it may be hard to find groups at times, but missions, dungeons, UW/FoW, DoA… there were people doing those up until GW2 released.

Yes, there will be a natural dropoff in participation as the ‘newness’ of content rubs off. As a balancing factor, though, when people are playing the cat out of one piece of content and barely touching anything else because they’re rushing to play temporary content while it’s there, they get burnt out – and that could be getting burnt out on the temporary content or on the game as a whole. Permanent content, on the other hand, always allows the opportunity to come back and do it later when the inclination strikes. It might be harder to get a group together to PUG it, but with a good guild and/or friend list, there’s always the option to get the gang together and do it regardless of whether it’s popular among the wider community at the time. For instance, I and a few others in one of my guilds miss the Molten Facility dungeon, but short of getting lucky in a fractal run that’s not something we can do any more, and even if we DID get lucky in a fractal, the dungeon’s been chopped into bits rather than remaining as an intact whole.

To avoid accusations of rose-tinted glasses, let’s look at GW2. People are still doing dungeons, fractals, world events, and so on – even though most of this content was either available at release or shortly afterwards. Where are the people still doing Battle for Lion’s Arch, or Tower of Nightmares? They don’t exist, because that was temporary content that’s no longer available. Where are the people who might otherwise be doing that temporary content? Some of them will be in other parts of the game, doing other things. Others, though, will simply be not playing.

And that’s the thing the ‘bloated’ argument misses: Player distribution among regions is not a zero-sum game. Yes, giving people more things to do will mean they’re more spread out. However, giving people more things to do keeps retention rates up and players in the game, so while players may be less concentrated, there is also more of them. At worst, you get the same result as temporary content, with players congregating at whatever part is new… but if pre-existing content is in a form that doesn’t require zergs, or even if it does require zergs but a guild is big enough to form its own, it still adds more to the game to leave content in that may be mostly abandoned but can still be played if a group gets together than removing it entirely.

At the bottom line… it’s past eighteen months in. Eighteen months into GW1, the world had tripled in size and content, and I still had lots to do. Even now, there are things that were on my to-do list that I never actually got to.

Compare to GW2… the feeling of ‘lots to do’ is steadily fading. It’d be an exaggeration to say it’s fading fast, but another year or so of the same direction it’s been going, and I could see myself growing bored of doing the same things over and over again (punctuated by the occasional spate of doing the same temporary content over and over again while it’s available) and leaving. And from what other people are saying, I don’t think I’m alone in this respect.

GW1 had its flaws and complaints, yes, but running out of things to do was rarely one of them until well after most development had ceased entirely, apart from the minority who blitz through the content with a single character and then complain they’ve done it (and they’re always going to outpace development, nothing can be done to appease those). Here, you’ve got the people who play through with multiple characters complaining, because it’s been long enough that those people are finishing up. It’s sad but true that GW:Beyond could almost be said to have added more to GW1 than LS has to GW2, when GW:B was basically just marking time on a game that was planned to be abandoned while GW2 is what ArenaNet is focused on.

The world needs to grow, or it’s going to to become increasingly stale.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: I I.7458

I I.7458

i personaly think if u dislike the story or things in this game this much then pick – up a new game and have a nice day lol because the dev’s put there time into new content i like weekly events then the same stuff just there -.- its surpriseing and give us a reason to log in i just started playing today and love the game yea story is ok but i love the world its fun look at the good things not always the negitive if so * Pick up a new game * that easy LOL

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

While there is some validity to this, it’s an extreme position that doesn’t reflect how most people actually play.

In my memory of GW1, there was very little of the content that was completely abandoned – it may be hard to find groups at times, but missions, dungeons, UW/FoW, DoA… there were people doing those up until GW2 released.

Yes, there will be a natural dropoff in participation as the ‘newness’ of content rubs off. As a balancing factor, though, when people are playing the cat out of one piece of content and barely touching anything else because they’re rushing to play temporary content while it’s there, they get burnt out – and that could be getting burnt out on the temporary content or on the game as a whole. Permanent content, on the other hand, always allows the opportunity to come back and do it later when the inclination strikes. It might be harder to get a group together to PUG it, but with a good guild and/or friend list, there’s always the option to get the gang together and do it regardless of whether it’s popular among the wider community at the time. For instance, I and a few others in one of my guilds miss the Molten Facility dungeon, but short of getting lucky in a fractal run that’s not something we can do any more, and even if we DID get lucky in a fractal, the dungeon’s been chopped into bits rather than remaining as an intact whole.

To avoid accusations of rose-tinted glasses, let’s look at GW2. People are still doing dungeons, fractals, world events, and so on – even though most of this content was either available at release or shortly afterwards. Where are the people still doing Battle for Lion’s Arch, or Tower of Nightmares? They don’t exist, because that was temporary content that’s no longer available. Where are the people who might otherwise be doing that temporary content? Some of them will be in other parts of the game, doing other things. Others, though, will simply be not playing.

And that’s the thing the ‘bloated’ argument misses: Player distribution among regions is not a zero-sum game. Yes, giving people more things to do will mean they’re more spread out. However, giving people more things to do keeps retention rates up and players in the game, so while players may be less concentrated, there is also more of them. At worst, you get the same result as temporary content, with players congregating at whatever part is new… but if pre-existing content is in a form that doesn’t require zergs, or even if it does require zergs but a guild is big enough to form its own, it still adds more to the game to leave content in that may be mostly abandoned but can still be played if a group gets together than removing it entirely.

At the bottom line… it’s past eighteen months in. Eighteen months into GW1, the world had tripled in size and content, and I still had lots to do. Even now, there are things that were on my to-do list that I never actually got to.

Compare to GW2… the feeling of ‘lots to do’ is steadily fading. It’d be an exaggeration to say it’s fading fast, but another year or so of the same direction it’s been going, and I could see myself growing bored of doing the same things over and over again (punctuated by the occasional spate of doing the same temporary content over and over again while it’s available) and leaving. And from what other people are saying, I don’t think I’m alone in this respect.

GW1 had its flaws and complaints, yes, but running out of things to do was rarely one of them until well after most development had ceased entirely, apart from the minority who blitz through the content with a single character and then complain they’ve done it (and they’re always going to outpace development, nothing can be done to appease those). Here, you’ve got the people who play through with multiple characters complaining, because it’s been long enough that those people are finishing up. It’s sad but true that GW:Beyond could almost be said to have added more to GW1 than LS has to GW2, when GW:B was basically just marking time on a game that was planned to be abandoned while GW2 is what ArenaNet is focused on.

The world needs to grow, or it’s going to to become increasingly stale.

well stated and agree 100 percent. i play gw1 more now then i do gw2 still and it has nothing to do with ls atm even when ls was here i was playing more gw1 then gw2. i got 8 alts and 1 main on both gw1 and gw2

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Will.6210

Will.6210

They have added new content, and it’s fantastic for the most part, but I think removing content is maybe not so good an idea. I would love to go hang out on that giant Zephyr ship thing. I would love to not have all of Lion’s Arch cramped into Vigil Keep. I really hope they fix that soon.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Oh, looks like we had two completely different versions of Guru and GW1 then, because I very much remember people complaining quite a bit about the story. But then again, rose-tinted glasses does tend to make things look better than they actually were.

Or maybe you’re lying? The idea that Abbadon’s complaints was close to Scarlet is laughable. Pretty much every post you make is just a list of excuses as to why GW2 is awesome & everyone’s criticism is wrong. I don’t know how someone is supposed to take anything you say as something other than a spin. I mean you even went so far as to say “Fighting mechanics in GW2 is factually better than GW1” when the quality of combat mechanics is subjective to ones taste in fun. But feel free to bring up “rose tinted glasses” & “nostalgia” because if you’re willing to say fun is objective, well, you’ll never be wrong.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Whole new map in WvW.
Rework of borderlands.
New skills.
Several new PvP-maps.
New dungeon(s).
New reward systems.
New world-bosses.
Etc.

I think you should go on because that is a weak list if you are trying to say after 2 years that is enough.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Or maybe you’re lying? The idea that Abbadon’s complaints was close to Scarlet is laughable.

Personally, I didn’t care much for Abaddon’s storyline either. If they kept him to just being the dark forgotten god enacting Nightfall, I think I would have enjoyed him more, but they had to inject him into Prophecies and Factions on top of that.

I actually liked Khilbron and Shiro. When Abaddon came along, he ripped apart their motives and basically gave them Tyria’s version of “The Devil made me do it!” excuse. It kinda ruined them for me.

Let's be honest

in Living World

CrashTestAuto.9108

I never played WoW, so I have no idea. However:

1) I’m mainly talking about keeping varied content available (SAB, Gauntlet, Activities), not simply older versions of the same content type.

2) I don’t really see how the game is made worse by leaving that content open? If people aren’t there, then no one is impacted. If people are there, then clearly someone wants to use it.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: onemantankwall.3641

onemantankwall.3641

Its as simple as it gets like i said in my other thread you get what you pay for i wish gw2 had some kind of sub fee or threw expansions in our face just so that i can pay for high quality content instead of getting light temporary content thats really below expectations of a game with such a vast lore which could be compared to paying to eat at a fancy restraunt eating amazing food or paying nothing and eating free horrid tasting food out of the dumpster out back behind the restraunt. If we want that high quality content its gonna cost us and im for one supporting them however i can (long as i find something worth buying thats pretty much overpriced (but still worth buying) but u cant blame them its a free game) so that i can see that high quality content… We are the investors and the life support of the game our money given decides the size of the content, u honestly cant complain and beg for FREE content ANet is a business looking to make a profit… Its not going to give you great content for charity… They have bills too we supply their way of living they dont sit in a small room without seeing their family for days on end just to make people they will never personally know happy so the more little content we sit through supporting them as much as we can instead of being cheap seeking free or near to free content the greater the content will grow.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Kuess.1842

Kuess.1842

I think what they should do is give us a nice portal into history where you can redo stuff of LS 1. They can put it into some sort of a rotation like with the mini games or fractals.
At least the epic stuff like the marionette fight, the scarlet fight, the tower of nightmares stuff.

Let's be honest

in Living World

onemantankwall.3641

City of heroes tried that and it epically flopped ending in a sunset of the game :/

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

Or maybe you’re lying? The idea that Abbadon’s complaints was close to Scarlet is laughable.

Personally, I didn’t care much for Abaddon’s storyline either. If they kept him to just being the dark forgotten god enacting Nightfall, I think I would have enjoyed him more, but they had to inject him into Prophecies and Factions on top of that.

I actually liked Khilbron and Shiro. When Abaddon came along, he ripped apart their motives and basically gave them Tyria’s version of “The Devil made me do it!” excuse. It kinda ruined them for me.

Without Abaddon, Khilbron was just an evil Lich and Shiro had no motivations at all. Honestly, Shiro is my least favourite figure in all of the Guild Wars lore. He’s basically a super-special powerful guy with very, very litle motivation at all. Conversely, Abaddon is a God wronged. What he does in Nightfall is terrible, but there’s always the question of whether he deserved such treatment purely for disagreeing with his companions. He’s an interesting character because he was once glorious and now he’s reduced to desperation and insanity, which isn’t something you often see in God characters. Well, not in the modern era.

Its as simple as it gets like i said in my other thread you get what you pay for i wish gw2 had some kind of sub fee or threw expansions in our face just so that i can pay for high quality content instead of getting light temporary content thats really below expectations of a game with such a vast lore which could be compared to paying to eat at a fancy restraunt eating amazing food or paying nothing and eating free horrid tasting food out of the dumpster out back behind the restraunt. If we want that high quality content its gonna cost us and im for one supporting them however i can (long as i find something worth buying thats pretty much overpriced (but still worth buying) but u cant blame them its a free game) so that i can see that high quality content… We are the investors and the life support of the game our money given decides the size of the content, u honestly cant complain and beg for FREE content ANet is a business looking to make a profit… Its not going to give you great content for charity… They have bills too we supply their way of living they dont sit in a small room without seeing their family for days on end just to make people they will never personally know happy so the more little content we sit through supporting them as much as we can instead of being cheap seeking free or near to free content the greater the content will grow.

Guild Wars 1 had no sub fee and expansions were delivered every six months. These expansions provided continents equal in size to continental Tyria, new classes, new weapons, new storylines, new skills, new quests and other new features. The game had a smaller budget than GW2 has and dare I say, was also far less profitable.

In fact, it would probably be far less stressful for the development teams to unify, to stop producing Living World content and to develop an expansion akin to this games predecessors. The issue is that they don’t want to. They want to take this Living World concept and push it as far as they can. Generally, I am receptive to this idea. I like logging in to a changing, evolving world and I think that the more practiced Arenanet gets, the better the content will become. I base this on the clear improvement that happened over te course of Season 1.

(edited by Safer Saviour.9685)

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Guild Wars didn’t get an expansion for two years. Factions and Nightfall were stand-alones.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Whole new map in WvW.

The map is quite nice, I’ll give you that. Even if the map changed neither the gameplay nor the story.

Rework of borderlands.

You call those 5 altars, which are getting ignored for the very most, an improvement?
I liked the big lake more.

New skills.

Which one? Those 2 new healingskills? While the majority of other skills aviable stay either useless or broken?

Several new PvP-maps.

Some new maps where you can bash each others brains in isn’t really compelling, don’t you think so? Furthermore, PvP, beside getting obsolete thanks to the messed balance, is a rather small part of the game.

New dungeon(s).

Nope. Just one TA path got replaced by the Aether Path, which was nice but no big deal. The only other change I can think of was the fractals release. They’re nice but get grinded like every other bit of the game.

New reward systems.

That’s a point. But it also changes nothing regarding gameplay or story. It’s just a QoL change, polish, but no great upgrade.

New world-bosses.

Which ones? Those zergfests where you have to bring atleast 120 players to succeed?
Furthermore, the change to tequatl or the 3headed worm where completely unrelated to the story; they could’ve been implemented without it and they didn’t make the story any better.

Etc.

Bad storytelling is bad. I was hyped just 2 times during the living story: At the very beginning when you could think about an elder dragon which expels the fugitives from their land and at the very end when they teased the next elder dragon. Everything else was mediocre at best. Not to mention that I would like to take a break from GW2 without missing anything.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Guild Wars didn’t get an expansion for two years. Factions and Nightfall were stand-alones.

Splitting hairs, especially since the full term for a stand-alone that adds to an existing game is usually “stand-alone expansion”. You didn’t need to have Prophecies to play Factions and/or Nightfall, but for someone who already had the game, buying additional campaigns was for all intents and purposes an expansion.

The bottom line is that Guild Wars 2 was supposed to get an influx of new content similar to that Guild Wars 1 received before GW2 started development. When you compare between what was added in the first twenty months of Guild Wars 1 – well, it’s hard to claim that they’re even comparable.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Let's be honest

in Living World

Kurrilino.2706

Can you even look into the mirror saying something like that ??
Are you a lawyer ????

People want contend, something new that doesn’t include moving 3 trees on Queensdale map or a new armor in gem store.

Call it expansion or stand alone or new experience gaming whatever you want.
But don’t split hairs when people are really attached to a topic

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

The bottom line is that Guild Wars 2 was supposed to get an influx of new content similar to that Guild Wars 1 received before GW2 started development. When you compare between what was added in the first twenty months of Guild Wars 1 – well, it’s hard to claim that they’re even comparable.

And the fact that anet has triple the number of employees now than they did back then makes the current situation even more pathetic.

Let's be honest

in Living World

onemantankwall.3641

Anet team members spent OVERTIME yes OVERTIME to finish season one as fast as they could, they spent THEIR free time to come in and finish the new content for us, it was not required… They didnt HAVE TO stay but they did anyway for the players. It was rushed so quickly that all killing scarlet gave was a stupid looking helmet skin because we couldn’t wait alil bit longer for them to finish it up correctly. Id rather them taking 2 months to produce high quality content than 2 weeks throwing together a disaster all because the few whiners who decide that their the head of the community demanding new content right on the spot:.. Anet PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME as much time as u need!!! Never fall for that “its my content and i want it now” speech that almost every thread is spamming, did everyone know warhammer online had to stop production on 6 major cities the size of la because EA told mythic to release the unfinished game years early just to try to beat the new WoW expansion and that warhammer online was a buggy glitchy unfinished disaster of a game that no longer exists because it was rushes from the start and ea finally admitted that they failed and pulled the plug on the license agreement selling the warhammer franchise to Sega which will prob let any chances of a new warhammer mmo rot… I dont want anet to go through what mythic had to, thank god they’re with nc_soft instead of EA (properly nicknamed “The Franchise Killer”) by all means dont rush and give us a unfinished season 2. We have faith in you guys

Let's be honest

in Living World

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

This discussion is so 2013. ANet openly said they understood the community’s concerns related to the lack of permanent content. That’s why they decided to take longer breaks for story stuff to come out. The test will be when Season 2 starts…we will see then if they actually learned anything at all or not.

I remember them saying they are heavily considering expansion style content for the future and are taking in consideration if it will be payed or not.

For now it’s literally useless to point out things they already said they are trying to address in Season 2. U can start QQing again if things don’t get improved during S2..but not prior