Lions Arch may 19 update

Lions Arch may 19 update

in Living World

Posted by: Jia Shen.4217

Jia Shen.4217

I have been away from the game with other things in life to do and now I am back playing again. So this is my first time seeing this update. I find it really neat that they are updating lions arch finally. After all in-game timeline months maybe even a year has passed since it was destroyed. And the same workers have been working in the same exact spot for all that time. They and I assume the vast majority of players want a “living world”, yet the game remains very static. Note this is not meant as a complaint. Remaining static for a time is good as it allows more people to experience the changes as they take place without having to be on every day or every week for that matter.

However with certain things like this it doesn’t make sense and also completely destroys the immersion when poof there is this massive change in one place that took months ever a year to get to that point. So why when they had the opportunity to make this much more than it is did we simply get a poof here it is change? With a year of real time having passed we could have been given small side content to the main story telling the story of the rebuilding. This could have been done with cinematics with a narrator telling us a story along with gradual changes in the zone itself.

Or it could have been a 3rd section in the story journal called the rebuilding of lions arch and had chapters like the rest. Then that would have given them the opportunity for players to interact in the story telling from the perspective of one of the characters involved in the rebuilding. This character could be someone of importance to the rebuilding. This character probably should have been new to the players. That way we get to experience story from an aspect different than normal game play with our own characters.

These story instances with this story character could have involved all sorts of non combat activities to tell the story. And at the same time not be just simple fetch and run errands. The story would be told, in combination with cinematics, through talking with npcs in much the way they tell the main story to us. There could have been event like things within the instances. The players actions could be solving puzzle style content. But I’m sure if a relatively uncreative person like me when compared to the creative people working on the game can think of these things they could have; it makes me wonder why they didn’t and we get just a poof here it is magically massive man power change instantly here.

With that said I don’t think it is too much to ask and expect future changes like this to get some sort of story telling along the lines of the suggestions in this post. I would have been happy with narrated cinematics once a month or so with incremental improvements to tell this particular aspect of the story. Thank you for reading and hopefully affirmatively incorporating ideas like this to tell this story and future changes.

Lions Arch may 19 update

in Living World

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

I think ANet missed a chance to involve the players in the rebuilding of LA (no, naming a few sights does not count). I don’t think in terms of big cinematics or a new story chapter, but just with a few NPCs that trigger some sort of dialogue or action.
e.g.
>> donate some lumber to a worker on a bridge => “Thanks, I will finish covering those holes very soon!”
>> donate some dust to an Asura at the Fort Mariner WP > “Although you are unnecessarily interrupt my intricate work here, your contribution will aid in reconfiguring the alignment crystal more quickly.”
>> donate some leather to a “crafter” at a hub site > “Your donation will be used to make shoes for the poor and homeless. May Dwayna bless you!”

Nothing big, but better than the deus ex machina air drops of a new city.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Lions Arch may 19 update

in Living World

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Yea…but we already donated a ton of money for the rebuilding of LA…i just want my city. Ive given enough gold for it already when they where taking donations. At least this happening VIA air drop shows that my money wasnt wasted and used to buy materials to build the new LA, Despite how bloody long it took to get it rolling! Bring on the update that fixes LA completely!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Lions Arch may 19 update

in Living World

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Yea…but we already donated a ton of money for the rebuilding of LA…i just want my city. Ive given enough gold for it already when they where taking donations. At least this happening VIA air drop shows that my money wasnt wasted and used to buy materials to build the new LA, Despite how bloody long it took to get it rolling! Bring on the update that fixes LA completely!

Time between destruction and start of rebuilding Lion’s Arch: 14 months
Time between Haiti earthquake and rebuilding: +5 years
time between 9/11 and start building one world center: 5 years.

So compared to real life, the timeframe is actually pretty short. I know it is a game, but when it comes to reality, it is actually very short!

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Lions Arch may 19 update

in Living World

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Time between destruction and start of rebuilding Lion’s Arch: 14 months
Time between Haiti earthquake and rebuilding: +5 years
time between 9/11 and start building one world center: 5 years.

So compared to real life, the timeframe is actually pretty short. I know it is a game, but when it comes to reality, it is actually very short!

Do not really care about the real world here, because we dont have to deal with the same issues people in the real world do for trying to rebuild. I was expecting LA to start being rebuilt when donations started being collected, that didnt happen though, but its happening now and i dont want to have to donate more to see LA fixed

See my point now? i dont truly mind how long it took, what i do not want is to have to do more after donating so much the first time

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Lions Arch may 19 update

in Living World

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Do not really care about the real world here, because we dont have to deal with the same issues people in the real world do for trying to rebuild. I was expecting LA to start being rebuilt when donations started being collected, that didnt happen though, but its happening now and i dont want to have to donate more to see LA fixed

See my point now? i dont truly mind how long it took, what i do not want is to have to do more after donating so much the first time

Funny…I didn’t donate money for LA to be rebuild. I donated money so kitten-kitten-tron would finish his event and move on to the next

Reality is that rebuilding LA shouldnt cost a thing and really doesn’t. The money sink might have been connected to the rebuilding in a lore-way, but it has nothing to do with mechanics.

I would be against a system where rebuilding was done with more money sinks. But a nice minigame or events to get lion’s Arch more active would be welcome.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!