Living Story - Poorly done.

in Living World

Posted by: Leyf.1506

Leyf.1506

Recently I hit level 80, and after finishing my Personal Story, I was excited to find out how Lion’s Arch came to be destroyed and the events that followed.

LOL, NOPE.

I have access to Story #9 for free. The other 8? yeah, those cost 200 gems each. (or $2.50)
That’s an extra $20 or so dollars I will not be paying.

Why ArenaNet decided to do it this way is absolutely beyond me. If I wasn’t playing during the time of the story, I’m S.O.L, but since I’m playing now, I get the 9th chapter? Literally makes 0 sense.

I’m pretty mad. Guild Wars lore is amazing, and I am a huge fan of GW1 as well. My excitement in following the lore has just been put on an extremely abrupt hold. Poor decision, A-net.

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Unfortunately, yes. I understand and agree with your sentiment.

Inb4 someone whines at you for pointing that out.

in Living World

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

In the opening poster’s defense, they probably had no way of knowing those were about the same thing just by reading the title. That, and the forum search function is unreliable at best.

in Living World

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Living Story = Story DLCs.
These story DLCs are given for free as a reward for all active GW2 players. Those who aren’t active have to pay for the story DLCs, through in-game gold or money.

Why? Because GW2 has no gear grind and therefore you won’t feel like you are left behind. What does this mean? Well, that you may not have that big of a motivation to login to the game and therefore Anet have started to added story DLCs as a way of introducing content to progress the story of the world.

in Living World

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

Recently I hit level 80, and after finishing my Personal Story, I was excited to find out how Lion’s Arch came to be destroyed and the events that followed.

LOL, NOPE.

I have access to Story #9 for free. The other 8? yeah, those cost 200 gems each. (or $2.50)
That’s an extra $20 or so dollars I will not be paying.

Why ArenaNet decided to do it this way is absolutely beyond me. If I wasn’t playing during the time of the story, I’m S.O.L, but since I’m playing now, I get the 9th chapter? Literally makes 0 sense.

I’m pretty mad. Guild Wars lore is amazing, and I am a huge fan of GW1 as well. My excitement in following the lore has just been put on an extremely abrupt hold. Poor decision, A-net.

Why you are not joined this game before (it’s already TWO years old!!!) and wasted so many time in the another MMO?

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

There is no “Story #9.” We’re in Chapter 8 of Season 2, all of which takes place well after LA’s destruction. No one can replay Season 1, in which that destruction occurred, until such time as ANet has the resources to spare to rework it into repeatable content. It was originally meant to be this-once-and-never-again, to make the world feel it was progressing.

You can experience the story of Chapters 1 to 7 for free by having someone who has it unlocked open the instance for you. You won’t get control over dialogue choices and speed, and you won’t be able to interact with objects needed to progress, but you will get a first hand look at all the narrative and cinematics.

In the HoT forum some are speculating that ANet might be nice enough to bundle LS2 into the HoT purchase for those who haven’t managed to do it yet. If so then you need only wait and not pay your 20 bucks extra, assuming you are buying HoT.

in Living World

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

If you snooze, you lose.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

in Living World

Posted by: Apolus.3157

Apolus.3157

Actually you are lucky to be able to pay to get those episodes.
Originally the living story was a one time event only, if you missed it you missed it forever.

in Living World

Posted by: adragon.1234

adragon.1234

GW2 is a microtransaction game, except all the microtransactions are vanity only. You don’t NEED to finish the living world personal story to reach the actual content which was added during that period. the LWPS is just extra fluff to help you understand the lore and what’s going on if that’s what you’re into, which some people are not.

“The only lasting peace is the peace within your own soul.” ~Ventari

in Living World

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Incidentally, even if you bought what’s available to buy you won’t get Season 1, which is where you’d learn about Scarlet and why LA is all jacked up currently.

in Living World

Posted by: adragon.1234

adragon.1234

I feel like the Season 1 issue is because Anet was still getting on stable footing on how to release new content. I remember during Southsun Cove nothing was instanced which made some parts of it almost impossible, but they’ve learned from that and come a long way I think.
I’m okay with not seeing the whole Scarlet thing, I can cope with that, my problem with being thrust into Season 2 is suddenly I’m the leader of a hodgepodge guild that’s previously saved Tyria? Who are these people? Why do they all seem to be in some sort of romantic relationship with each other? What is up with this limping asuran and why is she so tiny?

“The only lasting peace is the peace within your own soul.” ~Ventari

in Living World

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I feel like the Season 1 issue is because Anet was still getting on stable footing on how to release new content. I remember during Southsun Cove nothing was instanced which made some parts of it almost impossible, but they’ve learned from that and come a long way I think.
I’m okay with not seeing the whole Scarlet thing, I can cope with that, my problem with being thrust into Season 2 is suddenly I’m the leader of a hodgepodge guild that’s previously saved Tyria? Who are these people? Why do they all seem to be in some sort of romantic relationship with each other? What is up with this limping asuran and why is she so tiny?

What is up with this limping asuran and why is she so tiny?

She’s a kid. and she’s limping because she has degenerative disease.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Taimi

If you feel “thrust” into it.
just do a bit of googling
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_season_2

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

They were gradually introduced in Season 1. Reading the wiki may help fill the gaps regarding the story and characters.

in Living World

Posted by: punkinkatt.4823

punkinkatt.4823

These story DLCs are given for free as a reward for all active GW2 players. Those who aren’t active have to pay for the story DLCs, through in-game gold or money.

And what of new players? They’re just out of luck or have to play for a free to play game’s content? I don’t think the GW2 storyline developers and whatnot thought this through before making this decision. It’s unfair to new players and returning players alike.

Xev Munroe, Human Ranger: “I love my menagerie
of animals. I love them more than I do most
people. Even solo, I am never alone!”

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

And what of new players? They’re just out of luck or have to play for a free to play game’s content? I don’t think the GW2 storyline developers and whatnot thought this through before making this decision. It’s unfair to new players and returning players alike.

They would have been out of luck if it were like season 1. At least now they have an option to experience those episodes. They can do it for free if they tag along with someone that does have access. The episodes are also relatively cheap if you buy with money or gold.

in Living World

punkinkatt.4823

They would have been out of luck if it were like season 1. At least now they have an option to experience those episodes. They can do it for free if they tag along with someone that does have access. The episodes are also relatively cheap if you buy with money or gold.

The fact that the episodes are cheap isn’t the point. It’s a free-to-play game and newcomers, along with returning players, are being made to pay-to-play if they want to keep up with the storylines. I, myself, missed season 1 (and can’t get it at all), but I got every episode of season 2.

But, perhaps they are better off because season 2 is turning out to not even be worth the effort, so certainly not the expense. Not if you enjoy playing solo, like I do.

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

The fact that the episodes are cheap isn’t the point. It’s a free-to-play game and newcomers, along with returning players, are being made to pay-to-play if they want to keep up with the storylines. I, myself, missed season 1 (and can’t get it at all), but I got every episode of season 2.

But, perhaps they are better off because season 2 is turning out to not even be worth the effort, so certainly not the expense. Not if you enjoy playing solo, like I do.

It’s free to play for the existing game that they paid for. They’re not paying a subscription fee to play it. The living story is not part of this although active players who log in during its initial two week period get it for free.

in Living World

punkinkatt.4823

It’s free to play for the existing game that they paid for. They’re not paying a subscription fee to play it. The living story is not part of this although active players who log in during its initial two week period get it for free.

The Living Story was part of all the advertising prior to GW2’s release. It was assumed it was a part of the game as purchased and through normal updates. It’s part of what made GW2 the most anticipated mmo of the year back about 3 years ago or so. It’s very disappointing to know they only intended it to be free for people who play the game without ever having to take a break from it. And only if they’ve played from the start… newcomers be dam’d.

Don’t get me wrong… I started playing right after release. But I did miss season 1 because, unavoidably, I had to take leave of the game for a bit. I just believe this is a form of preferential treatment aimed at regular players. Excluding would-be regular players who are new to the game. There should be no preferential treatment of any player group.

(edited by punkinkatt.4823)

in Living World

Posted by: Shomun.5294

Shomun.5294

Why? Because GW2 has no gear grind and therefore you won’t feel like you are left behind. What does this mean? Well, that you may not have that big of a motivation to login to the game and therefore Anet have started to added story DLCs as a way of introducing content to progress the story of the world.

No offense but that is truly some terrible reasoning. I am a dedicated Guild Wars fan. I’ve played these games for a long time and have purchased every game in this series.

However, I also am a human being. I have things going on in my life that sometimes take extended periods of time.

What if I travel and don’t have my PC on me or the desire to dump hours of my real life adventures into GW2?

What if I have schoolwork that I must focus on during that time?

What if I have a death in the family or some other related family issue that takes what focus I afford to give to this game away?

What if I simply lose out on my interest in the game for a temporary bit of time and decide to take a break and come back later?

Or in my case, what if a patch breaks the game for a lower end computer and I come back two years later after I have upgraded only to find out I’ve missed out on content?

After my time away from this game I come back and hope to experience all this great new lore that has been added, only to find out that I’ve been punished for not playing consistently? A good game does not need to force it’s members to log in and play to keep players around. Good new content will attract players itself.

I really think ArenaNet has really misjudged there business practices here. I, a loyal customer, feel disrespected.

I hope ArenaNet fixes this eventually.

in Living World

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

The Living Story was part of all the advertising prior to GW2’s release. It was assumed it was a part of the game as purchased and through normal updates. It’s part of what made GW2 the most anticipated mmo of the year back about 3 years ago or so. It’s very disappointing to know they only intended it to be free for people who play the game without ever having to take a break from it. And only if they’ve played from the start… newcomers be dam’d.

Don’t get me wrong… I started playing right after release. But I did miss season 1 because, unavoidably, I had to take leave of the game for a bit. I just believe this is a form of preferential treatment aimed at regular players. Excluding would-be regular players who are new to the game. There should be no preferential treatment of any player group.

They could have charged for living world up front. But they didnt, they allowed EVERYONE to have it FOR FREE during the 2 WEEKS to a MONTH or even TWO MONTHS it was up sometimes, If those people bothered to Log in. LOG IN, they didnt even have to play, they just had to update the game, click start, pick a character, accept the green star, and exit. thats it.

And they never, NEVER stated that it would be free. they stated from the beginning of Living story season 2 that it would be free for the duration it was up, and then you would have to pay 200 gems. They changed how the Living story worked so it would be permanent to new and old players. For new players its a mini DLC, same for returning old players who didnt log in.

Im sorry you think that players who you know, play the game shouldnt get stuff for free, or you know who can spare a few minutes to log in and do the above.

If you take a break, its a shame you couldnt spare some time to log in, but thats your choice.

Personally i have the newsletter, so even when i was taking a break, i would get a notice saying a new episode was up and i would update the game, log in and get it, and then exit.

Ask any of the officers in my guild. i will vanish for 6 months out of the year, but if a new living story episode came out i would log in. Its not that hard to do and it takes very little time.

Living story season 1 isnt available, to anyone, what so ever. Even to those who dont take breaks from the game do not have access to living story season 1. I dont know how many times ive said that in guild chat.

My dad has a saying “when you assume, you make an kitten out of you and me” Unless it said in writing that it would be free forever, which GW2 is not, Its buy to play, and you get what you pay for, The game in the box the entire world of tyria, wvw, and pvp. you shouldnt assume such things, for any reason.

Hell my brother cant even play the game right now because his computer cant run it, but he still is capable of loading the game to get the free release.

And they wont be fixing it, its not broken. They reward loyalty, and thats a good thing. Its a shame you couldnt take part in season 1, because thats gone, and while they are working on bringing it back like season 2 is currently, thats a long way off.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

(edited by Dante.1763)

in Living World

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve beaten every mission in the living story solo. It’s not only possible, it’s not really that hard…you do possibly have to learn to do things differently than you normally so, but that’s what games are about. You have to figure out what to do TO beat that content.

If you insist on being solo, why not look up how to do the fight on Dulfy or something and get some advice.

in Living World

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

I could be wrong (and feel free to post anything proving it), but I don’t remember LS ever being part of the advertising. From what I remember, we all bought the game at launch. Then, obviously, wanted new content, and Anet experimented with how to give it to us, which is where we got our first Southsun Cove update. It was laggy and definitely something of a “beta” experience for Anet I think. They definitely try and be a different MMO company, so I think they developed the LS after this. I mean hell, our first real LS update all we did was hammer signs on paths, so it was definitely a work in progress for them.

So they would take our feedback, update, take feedback, update, etc. And, one of the BIGGEST complaints about LS1 was the temporary content, which again by listening to player feedback, some things they decided to start making permanent through the LS. But I think they were a bit in too deep at the time to make all the Scarlet stuff permanent (which is why they want to find a way to make that available to new players,) and that is how we got our method of playing LS2.

Personally, I think its fair. I won’t get too into my opinion as many have stated it before, but yeah… I liked this was of the LS2. To be honest, the second half of LS2 I was playing Archeage, but I knew logging in for each of them unlocked the content for free, so I made sure to at least do that, even though I was all “OMG ARCHEAGE IS SO FUN NEVER PLAYING ANYTHING ELSE EVARRR” (spoiler; it wasn’t and now I’m back here.) I tried doing this for my boyfriend’s account, but managed to miss 2 or 3 of the chapters. Converted gold to gems, bought them, and done. We played together and finished just in time to get on the HoT hypetrain.

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

in Living World

punkinkatt.4823

I could be wrong (and feel free to post anything proving it), but I don’t remember LS ever being part of the advertising. From what I remember, we all bought the game at launch. Then, obviously, wanted new content, and Anet experimented with how to give it to us, which is where we got our first Southsun Cove update. It was laggy and definitely something of a “beta” experience for Anet I think. They definitely try and be a different MMO company, so I think they developed the LS after this. I mean hell, our first real LS update all we did was hammer signs on paths, so it was definitely a work in progress for them.

So they would take our feedback, update, take feedback, update, etc. And, one of the BIGGEST complaints about LS1 was the temporary content, which again by listening to player feedback, some things they decided to start making permanent through the LS. But I think they were a bit in too deep at the time to make all the Scarlet stuff permanent (which is why they want to find a way to make that available to new players,) and that is how we got our method of playing LS2.

Personally, I think its fair. I won’t get too into my opinion as many have stated it before, but yeah… I liked this was of the LS2. To be honest, the second half of LS2 I was playing Archeage, but I knew logging in for each of them unlocked the content for free, so I made sure to at least do that, even though I was all “OMG ARCHEAGE IS SO FUN NEVER PLAYING ANYTHING ELSE EVARRR” (spoiler; it wasn’t and now I’m back here.) I tried doing this for my boyfriend’s account, but managed to miss 2 or 3 of the chapters. Converted gold to gems, bought them, and done. We played together and finished just in time to get on the HoT hypetrain.

If Living Story wasn’t a part of the advertising prior to release, I must have some kind powers of premonition. I knew about it well before release. And I am NOT confusing it with the “personal” story. I knew about BOTH.

in Living World

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

If Living Story wasn’t a part of the advertising prior to release, I must have some kind powers of premonition. I knew about it well before release. And I am NOT confusing it with the “personal” story. I knew about BOTH.

It was not. They advertised a living world, where you do one event and something else happens in the map. I just went and watched the trailer and some of the earlier preview, i did not see living story advertised once(Maybe in some i didnt watch but i doubt it). A Living World however yes.

Living story is something they tried to do instead of expansions. Season 1 failed miserably at this, most of the content wasnt permanent and it only lasted for a short time. Season 2 was and is a compromise between having free releases with permanent content and paying for a expansion for those who missed the free releases, because it is a micro expansion.I say that because we got 2 full zones, and an entire new story, boom micro expansion. And it still didnt work like they wanted it to, its why we are getting heart of thorns.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I feel the start of season 2 was a slight misstep. They should have done a little more exposition in the “as you know” vein. Like Marjory or Kasmeer saying, “Good to see you again. I haven’t seen you since Scarlet dropped the Breachmaker in Lion’s Arch harbour.” Or Rox making some offhand comment, comparing it to when you met her in North Nolan Hatchery. Little snippets that tell people who didn’t play Season 1 at all why you care about these people, but subtle enough so as to not totally annoy those who were there. (You know someone is always going to complain.)

I’m also harshest to the first Chapter or two of Season 2, since this was a big format change when they knew they couldn’t really rewind back by Season 1 for a long time. Even if Season 3 started off by doing this kind of infodump, it’s too late since the information was needed to fill in Season 1, not Season 2. People who start playing at the start of Season 3 can go back and catch up on Season 2 by paying gems for it, but there’s currently no in-game way to know how you met Marjory, Kasmeer, Rox, Braham or Taimi. This is what people should be mad about, not having to pay 200 gems/episode.

in Living World

Posted by: FrumpyB.9026

FrumpyB.9026

The excuses favoring paying 2.50 for maybe a couple hours of story are still pathetic. It’s poor form to have a core element of a game (as advertised) become unavailable or have a fee attached just for the fact that someone didn’t log on at a certain time. That’s like saying, “Sorry, kid, you have to pay Nintendo to unlock world 5 in Yoshi’s Island 2 because you just didn’t finish it a year ago, even though you bought the game.” I’d understand if the living world stuff wasn’t advertised as part of Guild Wars 2, but it was.

Guess HBO should charge you extra if you missed an episode of GoT instead of let you see it since you already paid for their service.

in Living World

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The excuses favoring paying 2.50 for maybe a couple hours of story are still pathetic. It’s poor form to have a core element of a game (as advertised) become unavailable or have a fee attached just for the fact that someone didn’t log on at a certain time. That’s like saying, “Sorry, kid, you have to pay Nintendo to unlock world 5 in Yoshi’s Island 2 because you just didn’t finish it a year ago, even though you bought the game.” I’d understand if the living world stuff wasn’t advertised as part of Guild Wars 2, but it was.

Guess HBO should charge you extra if you missed an episode of GoT instead of let you see it since you already paid for their service.

Living Story wasn’t advertised as part of the Guild Wars 2 box, because the Living Story didn’t exist when Guild Wars 2 launched.

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

The Living Story isn’t a “core element” of the game, either. It’s bonus content, for after Zhaitan has been defeated, and leads up to the next big chapter of the game. As people keep saying, being able to pay this small cost is better than not being able to play it at all. You might feel it’s a slap in the face, as you are reminded whenever you check your personal story log, but there’s a massive chapter that has entirely vanished from the world, and you will never experience it (in the foreseeable future, at least). So would you rather these 8 chapters be lost in time forever as well, or are you willing to pay ~$20 to get the whole story?

in Living World

Posted by: Koviko.3248

Koviko.3248

Why are people complaining about not having Season 2 but don’t complain about not having Season 1? I wish I could just buy Season 1. You have the ability to buy Living Story content that you weren’t online for and you’re complaining about it…. Some people.