"Log in to unlock story content"?

in Living World

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

“Log in on July 1 to experience the start of Living World Season 2 and unlock the story content permanently in your Journal!”
So does this mean that we have to actually play the living story updates to be able to play them AGAIN later on with the journal?
That is insanely stupid. I thought the purpose of the journal was to allow people to see updates they previously missed. Why would you spend so much resources just to let people go back and see something they’ve ALREADY SEEN?

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No, you log in, it unlocks. From that point, you can play it on a lvl 80 character at any point you wish. You don’t actually have to go do it to unlock it, just logging in does it.

Replay-ability is something many people asked for, and they gave it to us.

Edit: I highly suggest watching this – http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/c/4412034 – if u have not previously

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Living World

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

“Log in”

If you read instead of overreacting…

in Living World

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

I have a question that is perhaps more interesting in this context.

Does unlocking the story content require
a) Just logging in at the gameloader screen;
b) Actually starting the game; or
c) Entering Tyria with a character?

in Living World

Grimwolf.7163

“Log in”

No, you both can’t understand context and took a single word too literally, at the expense of the entire paragraph.
I know all you have to do is log in. I’m not brain damaged, I wrote that fact down myself. Twice.
The point is, if you miss the event you can’t go back to it. So why have the journal?
If you’ve logged in then you’ve very likely played it anyway. The typical Living Story update can be seen in its entirety after 1-2 hours. After that you’re just grinding out enemies or mini games for rewards.

in Living World

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

“Log in”

No, you both can’t understand context and took a single word too literally, at the expense of the entire paragraph.
I know all you have to do is log in. The point is, if you miss the event you can’t go back to it. So why have the journal?
If you’ve logged in then you’ve very likely played it anyway. The typical Living Story update can be seen in its entirety after 1-2 hours. After that you’re just grinding out enemies or mini games for rewards.

So many people have been saying, “I wanted to play such and such update of season 1 but I was too busy to play for more than like 5 minutes in the last two weeks”. This is for them and it’s a very welcome addition. I am going on vacation on the 28th until the 16th of next month. I will have to pay gems and am 100% absolutely stoked that I will get to play this as opposed to Season One where I would have missed out entirely. That is who the Journal is for.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Paint me confused. They are just reminding people that if they don’t log in even for a second during this 2 week episode you would have to pay 200 gems afterwards.

Nothing new was said here, just wait and see how you will like the new format.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Living World

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

I have a question that is perhaps more interesting in this context.

Does unlocking the story content require
a) Just logging in at the gameloader screen;
b) Actually starting the game; or
c) Entering Tyria with a character?

lol why not just do c) and to make sure…it might take maybe 30 more seconds

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

“Log in” has so far always meant to enter with a character. At that point you received your mail update etc.

At least that’s how I understand this, it’s actually a good question.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Living World

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

“Log in on July 1 to experience the start of Living World Season 2 and unlock the story content permanently in your Journal!”
So does this mean that we have to actually play the living story updates to be able to play them AGAIN later on with the journal?

No it doesn’t mean that at all. You log in, the story content is added to the journal and from there it is replayable on all of your level 80 characters.

I thought the purpose of the journal was to allow people to see updates they previously missed.

It is.

Why would you spend so much resources just to let people go back and see something they’ve ALREADY SEEN?

They aren’t. The journal is for everyone but mostly for those that Haven’t seen / played the content. You have somehow misunderstood something somehwere.

The point is, if you miss the event you can’t go back to it.

You can go back to it. That is kinda the whole point. Either the content is permanent open world stuff (like a new zone or new / reworked world boss etc) or it goes into the journal.

So why have the journal?

So that story content can be replayable.

If you’ve logged in then you’ve very likely played it anyway.

False. Some players schedules vary and perhaps they can only log in for a few minutes. This give them the chance to not miss anything.

The typical Living Story update can be seen in its entirety after 1-2 hours.

True. But they have told us that they learned from season 1 so we will have to wait and see if this remains to be true. They have said after all the achievements are no longer guiding checklists and are more skill based.

in Living World

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

“Log in”

I know all you have to do is log in. I’m not brain damaged, I wrote that fact down myself. Twice.
The point is, if you miss the event you can’t go back to it. So why have the journal?

Although I don’t have the source with me, I believe they said anybody can unlock any journal entry that they may have missed. If you log in while it is active, you automatically get it unlocked forever. If you did not log in while it was active then you can unlock it for a small gem fee on the TP.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Living World

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

“Log in”

you should really look into this topic a bit more before such an overreaction. all your questions have been answered elsewhere, many times over.

in Living World

Grimwolf.7163

“Log in”

I know all you have to do is log in. The point is, if you miss the event you can’t go back to it. So why have the journal?

So many people have been saying, “I wanted to play such and such update of season 1 but I was too busy to play for more than like 5 minutes in the last two weeks”. This is for them and it’s a very welcome addition. I am going on vacation on the 28th until the 16th of next month. I will have to pay gems and am 100% absolutely stoked that I will get to play this as opposed to Season One where I would have missed out entirely. That is who the Journal is for.

And what if you can’t log in AT ALL? What if you go on vacation, travel for work/friends/family, take a break from the game, are a new player completely, too busy with other things in general?
Why arbitrarily bar someone from it in that situation?

in Living World

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

“Log in”

And what if you can’t log in AT ALL? What if you go on vacation, travel for work/friends/family, take a break from the game, are a new player completely, too busy with other things in general?

See my post above. They have said (sorry don’t have the source on me) that if you didn’t unlock it for free while it was active, you’d be able to unlock it later at the cost of gems on the TP

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“Log in”

You asked if you actually had to play the content to unlock it, to which I answered no you did not. All you needed to do was simply log in. You could log in a level 2 and go do whatever else, never touching the new content, and it would be unlocked for you.

Now, in regard to “if you miss it, it’s gone,” with the journal this is no longer true. If, for whatever reason, you cannot log in at all during the release period (some of which may be two weeks, some may be longer, see twitch vid), you can purchase the episode you missed for 200 gems if you so desire. All of the open world stuff will still be available to you at no cost, but you won’t have your own access to the story instance / content of that release. However, if you do not care about the associated achievements, progression, et all of that release and simply want to view the story, this is doable by tagging along with someone that does have it in their journal. So you can still see the story and don’t have to buy it if you choose not to. (Again, see twitch vid, this is all actually explained)

Further, players coming in down the road will still have the option to purchase, potentially, a whole season at a time at a discount price (as yet to be determined, see vid), which would be no different than purchasing an expansion.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

in Living World

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

They are not barred arbitrarily.

They can pay 200 gems to see something that otherwise, and under the old system, they would have missed forever.

The gem cost only applies to story instances. All of the other content ( open world stuff) is still available for free to everyone.

Also people can party with anyone who has the content unlocked in order to play it for free. Just the specific rewards / achievements won’t be available to them.

in Living World

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

“Log in”

If you can’t log in at all, you can still pay 200 gems (roughly 23g) to unlock it on your journal.

Which, if you ask me, is still a big improvement from what we had in S1 that was “you can’t log in AT ALL, you missed it, it’s gone, forever, not gonna get it ever again”.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Living World

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-story-journal/

TL;DR

• If you can’t, it’s available for 200 gems.
  • Completing an episode will unlock achievements to do. These have been described as ‘challenging’.
Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Living World

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

Reading is fundamental.

/thread

in Living World

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

“Log in”

It boggles my mind that people are still complaining about a feature that is so much better than it was previously.

You do understand that season 1 operated under “you snooze, you lose”?

At least with season 2, if you have 1 minute to spare to log-in every 2 weeks, you could have access to this content.

Season 1 didn’t even give you that option.

Yet you choose to complain about this?

in Living World

Posted by: Generator Gawl.5142

Generator Gawl.5142

I’m personally excited for the change. It’s a huge improvement. I take periodic breaks from the game but will still make time to log in for 2 minutes to ensure I unlock the content. I missed a big chunk of LS1 and now I won’t miss any LS2 under the new system.

in Living World

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

You can always pay a small fee in the gemstore to unlock the content you missed.

in Living World

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

Every 2 weeks starting July 1st, you have to click the left mouse button 5 times to unlock a living story episode.

5. Times. At minimum. (probably have to insert password, get past admin controls, etc)

Is that worth the rage that you will express?

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

“Log in”

English isn’t everyone’s first language, and even when it is words can be tricky sometimes.

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

“Log in”

what, just like “unique”?
yah so clear about that -_-

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

No it doesn’t mean that at all. You log in, the story content is added to the journal and from there it is replayable on all of your level 80 characters.

I thought the purpose of the journal was to allow people to see updates they previously missed.

It is.

Why would you spend so much resources just to let people go back and see something they’ve ALREADY SEEN?

They aren’t. The journal is for everyone but mostly for those that Haven’t seen / played the content. You have somehow misunderstood something somehwere.

The point is, if you miss the event you can’t go back to it.

You can go back to it. That is kinda the whole point. Either the content is permanent open world stuff (like a new zone or new / reworked world boss etc) or it goes into the journal.

So why have the journal?

So that story content can be replayable.

If you’ve logged in then you’ve very likely played it anyway.

False. Some players schedules vary and perhaps they can only log in for a few minutes. This give them the chance to not miss anything.

The typical Living Story update can be seen in its entirety after 1-2 hours.

True. But they have told us that they learned from season 1 so we will have to wait and see if this remains to be true. They have said after all the achievements are no longer guiding checklists and are more skill based.

QFT.

This is the answer you are looking for.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

At some point between July 1st and July 15th you are going to have to locate your computer and press the login button.

There are one million, two-hundred and nine thousand, six hundred (1,209,600) seconds in 14 days. If you simply cannot find a way to set aside 5 of those seconds to press the login button, then you are just going to have to pay the two dollars and fifty cents when you do find the time to log in…

And I am sorry, but I just can’t find any sympathy for someone who can neither find time, nor afford to spare a few shekels to unlock this optional content.

in Living World

Posted by: Moderator.8539

Moderator.8539

Since the OP’s question has been thoroughly answered and the discussion has moved away from constructive comments, this thread is now closed.