Marjory and Kasmeer, came from nowhere

in Living World

Posted by: Kurodius.7463

Kurodius.7463

I’m wondering if anyone else thinks the sudden romantic relationship between Kasmeer and Marjory to have come out of nowhere.

I didn’t really see it coming, or notice any build up to it until Marjory had Kasmeer stay in her home.

I never really noticed any chemistry between these two characters whatsoever. They don’t seem to have anything they could have bonded over besides the hunt for scarlet.

From my perspective, Marjory apparently put a “help wanted” sign somewhere, Kasmeer happened upon it and started investigating scarlet and the aetherblades, then they worked together to take out the toxic tower, then suddenly are romantically involved.

I know some of you may think “well they probably bonded over something off-screen, we aren’t exactly seeing every moment of their lives.” This doesn’t change the fact that from the players perspective, this relationship just suddenly poofed into existence.

P.S.: Because I know some people are going to bring this up, this has nothing to do with the fact that this is a lesbian relationship.

NOTE: I have found dialogue that I must have overlooked that disproves my claim of the relationship coming from nowhere, and my qualms about their incompatibly have also been quelled. Thanks for reading.

(edited by Kurodius.7463)

in Living World

Posted by: Niels.5396

Niels.5396

It’s been clear since the tower of nightmare. You just weren’t paying attention to the story. If you think the story sucked so there was no point in paying attention to it you are right. The story sucked. Now the story is getting much better, but the relationship has been clear for a long time non the less.

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

As Niels says, their relationship has been hinted at pretty strongly since Tower of Nightmares – the chemistry between the two has been pretty clear since they were first shown teaming up.

in Living World

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

I guess you werent paying enough attention. I can relate, because i forget what happened every 2 weeks with my horrible memory.

Its pretty difficult to notice chemistry too, in a game like this. All they really did in the latest instance, was Kasmeer standing quite close to Jory, theres no body langauge, no facial expressions, just standing. I feel like the dialogue makes it _over_obvious, that they’re romantically involved, and kind of takes the fun off :/.

Then again… I learned long ago to never expect good voice acting or story/characters in gw2.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in Living World

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

It’s been pretty clear right from the get go xD.

in Living World

Posted by: Dunan Atreides.5436

Dunan Atreides.5436

Nah, not really. I mean they were working together, and even on the first introduction of delaqua at the dead end bar, you could have suspected something going on even then.

in Living World

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

It’s not sudden at all, you’ve just been very very blind. They’ve been flirting with each other for a long time now—since the Tower of Nightmares. Even before then, when Kasmeer first appeared at Southsun, her repeated rejections of Lord Faren were telling us something. This has been building for months.

in Living World

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

in Living World

Kurodius.7463

Ok, so there’s not too many people here to respond to, so I can go case-by case with this:

Niels, Randulf:

These character have been working together, but working together does not mean they are romantically involved. The first hint to the relationship being romantic, or anything but professional, was when Marjory asked Kasmeer to stay with her and Kasmeer saying she might never want to leave.

Alissah:

When I say chemistry, i mean they don’t play off eachother’s diologue in any way to suggest an affection for one-another or much of an attraction, their personalities also don’t seem to be compatible with one-another on anything other than co-workers. Chemistry between 2 characters can still be displayed with the limited body language that game can allow, and can be displayed even more so in the dialogue itself.

FlamingFoxx, Dunan Atreides:

2 people working together to complete a common goal, while having mutual respect for one-another is not the same thing as being romantically involved with one-another.

Weindrasi:

Marjory uses slightly flirtatious language with every character she speaks to. She speaks to Kasmeer in basically the same way she addresses everyone else. Also, Lord Faren isn’t the pinnacle of a male specimen, so a female character not being attracted to him does not mean that character is into girls. Even the, her rejection of Lord Faren’s advances has nothing to do with her sudden involvement with Marjory.

P.S.: I have countless other issues with this story and its structure in general, but forced romances just always bugged me more than anything, and this romance just suddenly came out of nowhere to me. It really just seems to me than this relationship is only built upon the mutual respect Marjory and Kasmeer have for eachother’s abilities and nothing else.

in Living World

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

Well if you’re saying that the first thing we see is Kasmeer saying she doesn’t want to leave you missed a lot, as it was said before. Not just Majory made advances towards Kasmeer, which actually only started quite recently, but it was the other way around too, because of Majory’s nature it even looked for some time that she didn’t notice Kasmeer’s obvious advances. It also seems you never went to the Dead End bar before this update, at least when it wasn’t required that is.

in Living World

Kurodius.7463

Well if you’re saying that the first thing we see is Kasmeer saying she doesn’t want to leave you missed a lot, as it was said before. Not just Majory made advances towards Kasmeer, which actually only started quite recently, but it was the other way around too, because of Majory’s nature it even looked for some time that she didn’t notice Kasmeer’s obvious advances. It also seems you never went to the Dead End bar before this update, at least when it wasn’t required that is.

Well actually, the line about Kasmeer staying at Marjory’s place was in the last update, so that would make the scenario at the Dead End bar happen after that dialogue; but yes, I i did not see that discussion.

Also, you man many others have been telling me that this was obvious from the dialogue prior to Origins of Madness, can I please get some quotes from these dialogues that I apparently missed?

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

I agree with Kurodius, those two have about as much chemistry as two drunk people hitting on each other at a bar.

They should of at least developed it better in the story, maybe one was injured and the other looked after her, but it just seemed to spawn from no where “hey you’re hot!” “so are you!” “wanna pick curtains out and move in together?” “Sure!”

ugh…

in Living World

Posted by: Tibstrike.2974

Tibstrike.2974

I can’t remember many specifics but they were flirting pretty hard during the tower fiasco. Something about Kasmeer being naked because her clothes are illusions. Then there were other things like that. Last patch they had a heart to heart.

This patch is the first time we see them living together, and it might be a pretty recent thing.

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

They weren’t flirting much before the end of the Tower of Nightmares, they were often doing other things and being a little focused on them.

Currently the only “flirting” comes during downtime between things. They’re not flirting in the middle of the Marionette fight, or directly after. They flirt once they’re back in the Dead End, and tease each other only rarely.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Kurodius.7463

Flirting has little to do with my issues with this relationship. Flirting only really shows sexual attraction, but it doesn’t present the basis of their relationship. These two characters have very little to bond over, they don’t play off each other’s personality in any way.

Braham and Rox are a pair (though I don’t think are romantically involved). They each enjoy combat to some extent and feel that they make a very potent group. They also play off each other’s personalities in their diologue. It makes sense why Braham and Rox would be friends and enjoy each other’s company.

Marjory and Kasmeer are two wholly separate entities with little to no compatibly nor buildup to what would be a romantic relationship.

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Flirting has little to do with my issues with this relationship. Flirting only really shows sexual attraction, but it doesn’t present the basis of their relationship. These two characters have very little to bond over, they don’t play off each other’s personality in any way.

Yes, yes they do play off each other. Kasmeer is light and a little silly when relaxed, Marjory tends to be serious at least most of the time.

(Obligatory meme: They fight crime.)

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

The first time Majory showed up, Kasmeer was in that story instance. They’ve been a matched pair since then. I admit I didn’t notice it, but I hate romance, and tend to gloss over it (tho once I read about Majory saying she was okay with Kasmeer being naked under the illusion dress, it was obvious SHE at least was interested) It’s not out of nowhere. This game is very light on story, and hasn’t really delt with the sidekick characters. Rox and Braham got a lot of play because they got a living story that kind of revolved around them. Majory and Kasmeer have been side players with about 10 minutes of content before Tower of Nightmares.

in Living World

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

Yes, yes they do play off each other. Kasmeer is light and a little silly when relaxed, Marjory tends to be serious at least most of the time.

Majory’s the no-nonsense tough as nails detective that doesn’t always play by the rules. Kasmeer’s the playful, friendly Mesmer that always gets results. If you have a problem, and no one else can help, and if you have the gold, then maybe you can hire: Jory and Kas: Private Investigators

(edited by Becka Williams.4978)

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Majory’s the no-nonsense tough as nails detective that doesn’t always play by the rules. Kasmeer’s the playful, friendly Mesmer that always gets results. If you have a problem, and no one else can help, and if you have the gold, then maybe you can hire: Jory and Kas: Private Investigators

Next time . . . Queensdale Train Derailment

in Living World

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Players complaining that the Living Story content isn’t well crafted. Who would have ever thought that could happen?

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Players complaining that the Living Story content isn’t well crafted. Who would have ever thought that could happen?

I called it. I mean, I always am very clear. Players complain about anything, it’s just how things happen on MMO forums.

In this case though? I really wonder what they were watching that this wasn’t seen developing at all since the first time we saw Kasmeer and Marjory together.

in Living World

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

This has been obvious for a long time and there were many speculation threads right at the start when you first see both characters. I think this shows just how poorly most people can make inferences in stories, no wonder everyone hates the LS, you had to use your brain AND it was broken up by months of time.

Maybe they should just do a story that is super easy to understand for the ’merican reality TV crowd.

in Living World

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

This has been obvious for a long time and there were many speculation threads right at the start when you first see both characters. I think this shows just how poorly most people can make inferences in stories, no wonder everyone hates the LS, you had to use your brain AND it was broken up by months of time.

Maybe they should just do a story that is super easy to understand for the ’merican reality TV crowd.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4xkthaUQB1rxwmjao1_500.gif

Nice one.

in Living World

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I called it. I mean, I always am very clear. Players complain about anything, it’s just how things happen on MMO forums.

In this case though? I really wonder what they were watching that this wasn’t seen developing at all since the first time we saw Kasmeer and Marjory together.

I think you zeroed in too much on the “players complaining” part of my comment and missed the satirical reference to “well crafted.”

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I think you zeroed in too much on the “players complaining” part of my comment and missed the satirical reference to “well crafted.”

No, I didn’t miss it. I just didn’t care

in Living World

Posted by: rekim.5296

rekim.5296

Lesbian couple fighting crime…
One serious, the other with a lighter mood…

’nough said !

in Living World

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

I had the impression they are good friends when they were first introduced.

in Living World

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

You win!

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

in Living World

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

I didn’t find it to come out of nowhere. Like most relationships I’m not a part of, I noticed it at a certain point, and it was happening just a little bit before I noticed. I’m not bothered, because I much prefer this to the “Will they, won’t they?” type of storytelling, where characters argue at each other as everyone else goes “Oooh, look, they lurve each other.”

in Living World

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

As a sidenote, probably coincidence (or an inside joke :-) ). When Browsing the Behind the name site i stumbled upon the name Kasmeer. It has some odd meaning.
The first part means ‘destroy’ and the second ‘peace’ or ‘GREAT’….. Got a little eotn flashback here.

CASIMIR

USAGE: English

PRONOUNCED: KAZ-i-meer [key]

Meaning & History

English form of the Polish name Kazimierz, derived from the Slavic element kazic “to destroy” combined with mer “great” or mir “peace”. Four kings of Poland have borne this name, including Casimir III the Great, who greatly strengthened the Polish state in the 14th century. It was also borne Saint Casimir, a 15th-century Polish prince and a patron saint of Poland and Lithuania. The name was imported into Western Europe via Germany, where it was borne by some royalty.

Related Names

See All Relations
Show Family Tree

OTHER LANGUAGES: Kazimír (Czech), Kasimir (German), Kazimír, Kázmér (Hungarian), Casimiro (Italian), Kazimeras (Lithuanian), Kazimierz (Polish), Casimiro (Portuguese), Kazimir (Russian), Kazimír (Slovak), Casimiro (Spanish)

(edited by Bolbo Baggins.8594)

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

There’s a house near the Dead End where the door says The Delaqua Residence. If you interact with the door it says M. Delaqua, with a handwritten note below “and K. Meade.” But “No one seems to be at home.”

That’s where they must be dealing with curtains.

in Living World

Kurodius.7463

Ok, I honestly forgot I made this post for a little while, so there is a lot to cover here. Let’s get started.

Tobias Trueflight:
Marjory has not ever come off as a very serious person to me. If anything the “noire” thing they do with her makes it feel like she is someone who finds investigation and detective stuff to be fun, like a child.

Becka Williams:
So saying your ok with the cloths on a mesmer actually being illusions, is a clear declaration of sexual attraction? This still does not solve the problem of their lack of chemistry. Them also having less screen time is no excuse, Anet could have easily just gave us more time to interact with them. This isn’t a 30 minute tv show with a set amount of episodes, it’s a game that can have content added as the dev pleases.

displacedTitan:
You make very little sense in your statements. Forums will speculate that any two characters that interact could be romantically involved, this is an inevitability regardless of how absurd the pairing. What part of this story so-far has needed us to use our brains? This story has been on-rails from the beginning, with plot details repeated over and over for the newcomers. It also wasn’t broken up by months, it has been released on an almost consistent rate of every 2 weeks.

CharrGirl:
No it wasn’t.

Sitkaz:
I also hate “will they, won’t they” relationships in stories with a passion, but this relationship is very forced and contrived from my perspective. I don’t feel like these characters have any chemistry, nor any basis to be in a romantic relationship. Also romantic relationships where 2 characters constantly argue with each other are poorly written and completely unrealistic about how people actually communicate with each other. Can anyone honestly say that their real life relationship was built on the fact that they argue all the time?

Tobias Trueflight, Becka Williams (cont.):
Both of you have proposed that these characters do play off each other by having Marjory being the no-nonsense detective and Kasmeer being lighthearted an playful, and them being able to have chemistry based on an “opposites attract” basis. I have never once found Marjory to be that serious or resolved of a character, nor have I found Kasmeer to be all that lighthearted and playful. Marjory is just looking for Scarlet to stop her from doing bad things, and Kasmeer just seemed to be rolling along with Marjory because it was just something to do. Neither character has expressed more than a hint of the personalities you two have been proposing from my perspective. Also their dialogue has not reflected such character traits in any way to me, and I ask you two to please bring some quotes of such dialogue for the sake of your arguments.

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I ask you two to please bring some quotes of such dialogue for the sake of your arguments.

No. Burden of proof is on the prosecution. Go find proof she’s normally silly and goofy.

in Living World

Kurodius.7463

I ask you two to please bring some quotes of such dialogue for the sake of your arguments.

No. Burden of proof is on the prosecution. Go find proof she’s normally silly and goofy.

But… I’m arguing that she isn’t silly and goofy, or enough for that to be recognized as her main character trait. If i’m arguing for the absence of a trait of Kasmeer, so my evidence would be the entirety of her dialogue. Unless you mean Marjory, in which case I am also arguing for the absence of her serious traits.

Although I did find some dialogue I must have overlooked from Tower of Nightmares between Marjory and Kasmeer, and it actually does seem to be lightly fliratious. Because of this I will retract my statement of the relationship coming from nowhere, because this dialogue is actually somewhat subtle about the nature of their relationship.

The dialogue I found is here, at the bottom of the page: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory_Delaqua/dialogue

In-fact I think this dialogue actually proves me wrong on both of my statement,s as this is dialogue where they are actually working off of each other.

Congratulations everyone, I have found proof against my own claims drawing my issues to a close. You guys won.