Massively talks about Scarlets problems

in Living World

Posted by: Natsu.2589

Natsu.2589

Hey there. I just wanted to share this with you, because I find it to be a good article. Hopefully Anet notices this as well. Have fun.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/10/flameseeker-chronicles-the-trouble-with-scarlet-in-guild-wars-2/

in Living World

Posted by: Zone.1275

Zone.1275

She didn’t graduate from the colleges she just took classes. She didn’t stick around to graduate because she’d leave when she lost interest.

(edited by Zone.1275)

in Living World

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’m surprised they didn’t also explore the problem with her being a typical female villain stereotype.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Living World

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

That was a pretty great article. It’s a fair criticism of Scarlet, without trying to soften the problems or getting over-the-top outraged. It has some insightful criticism that I rarely ever see brought up on the forum. (Why does she have to be sylvari? It doesn’t add to her character, since she casually ignores all sylvari traits, and an asura would require less suspension of disbelief.)

I don’t mind Scarlet, storytelling flaws and all, but this is a really good analysis that I definitely agree with.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

in Living World

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

she should have been Kuvu end of story

in Living World

Natsu.2589

She didn’t graduate from the colleges she just took classes. She didn’t stick around the graduate because she’d leave when she lost interest.

You know what the big problem is with that? It’s nothing more than a marginal note from some interview or whatever. They backpaddled with that and still, you have to dig very deep to find this note.

Do you have a source for that? I’d wager you’d have to spend some time to find one, don’t you? Can you honestly blame the author? If this is a serious part of the lore, I can’t help but feel, that Anet did a poor job communicating it.

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

That was a pretty great article. It’s a fair criticism of Scarlet, without trying to soften the problems or getting over-the-top outraged. It has some insightful criticism that I rarely ever see brought up on the forum. (Why does she have to be sylvari? It doesn’t add to her character, since she casually ignores all sylvari traits, and an asura would require less suspension of disbelief.)

I don’t mind Scarlet, storytelling flaws and all, but this is a really good analysis that I definitely agree with.

Completely agree and it was refreshing to see a mature article on Scarlet which incorporates much of the criticism players have yet understanding that the story is too late just to wipe clean and improvements are being made accordingly. Altho I’m not a fan of her presentation either, I’m also slightly intrigued how this will play out. There’s just enough interesting bits amongst the bad stuff to keep my interest in the story alive for now.

in Living World

Posted by: Tentacle Love.3412

Tentacle Love.3412

I’m surprised they didn’t also explore the problem with her being a typical female villain stereotype.

Ahh, like how she only exists to be sex appeal for the main character and none of her evil plots end up working out in her favor, and she always ends up beaten in the end by the main character who never really completely fails?

Funny how many of the typical female villain stereotypes she doesn’t live up to.

in Living World

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

“There’s a lot we don’t know about Scarlet still, and the writers at ArenaNet are definitely improving the storytelling portion of the living world and making adjustments as they go. I think we’ve reached a point at which some of the larger fandom discussion of her has gotten hyperbolic and gross — calling her the worst villain ever written and saying that people deserve to lose their jobs over her is ridiculous, full stop. "

The author is wrong. She IS the worst written character in the GW universe – bar none. I am not calling for the writers to lose their jobs (they’ve done some great things aside from Scarlet) but they sure missed the boat on this LS.

SBI

in Living World

Zone.1275

She didn’t graduate from the colleges she just took classes. She didn’t stick around the graduate because she’d leave when she lost interest.

You know what the big problem is with that? It’s nothing more than a marginal note from some interview or whatever. They backpaddled with that and still, you have to dig very deep to find this note.

Do you have a source for that? I’d wager you’d have to spend some time to find one, don’t you? Can you honestly blame the author? If this is a serious part of the lore, I can’t help but feel, that Anet did a poor job communicating it.

It didn’t take long to find a source. Even if it did take a while to find it, this guy is writing an article and should make sure all his content is correct. Professionalism is something that game journalism lacks a lot, but allowing them to get away with anything that a normal journalist wouldn’t is just feeding the problem.
http://wartower.tumblr.com/post/60458277036/this-lorespecial-is-about-scarlet-briar-the-evil

Even in the short story it says she only completed the coursework.

But these are outside things, even the short story, and I think they should keep all the story in the game instead of in blog posts. The story wasn’t revealed well, we all know this, but Scarlet isn’t that bad of a character. Scarlet had a lot of potential but the reveal of the story wasn’t enough for players to get a feel for her. I don’t think it’s Scarlet’s, the writers’, or anyone’s fault that the story came out pretty bad so far since I don’t know anything about how they set up the Living Story, and there’s probably more variables than good and bad.

The next story will probably be better because they’ll have experience and will know what works and what doesn’t.

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Ahh, like how she only exists to be sex appeal for the main character and none of her evil plots end up working out in her favor, and she always ends up beaten in the end by the main character who never really completely fails?

Funny how many of the typical female villain stereotypes she doesn’t live up to.

But several that she does live up to. It would have made more sense to have made Scarlet an Asura, but they went with a Sylvari because they wanted a sassy attractive humanoid character. The crazy sassy attractive female villain that is crazy and has no real motives or emotions is a big stereotype. So is Marjory by the way, but I like her.

in Living World

Posted by: Singer.8740

Singer.8740

The crazy sassy attractive female villain that is crazy and has no real motives or emotions is a big stereotype. So is Marjory by the way, but I like her.

has no real motives or emotions is a big stereotype. So is Marjory by the way, but I like her.

has no real motives or emotions.

So your saying that the character who has kaleidoscopic fluctuations in emotion akin to a firework accident in a chainsaw factory and has been constantly alluding to having ulterior motives from each of her schemes that will culminate in her ultimate agenda come January 21st >

Please do carry on. You have my undivided attention in explaining this.

Also you could find out she was only on special courses in rata sum from talking to Emissary Vorpp IN GAME during the clockwork chaos LS. I do agree however that they need to make information like this more accessible in game to avoid future confusion and ignorance as well as these uninformed forum posts.

Etheeria (The mad bomber). If you don’t have shellshock your not doing it right.

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

It didn’t take long to find a source. Even if it did take a while to find it, this guy is writing an article and should make sure all his content is correct. Professionalism is something that game journalism lacks a lot, but allowing them to get away with anything that a normal journalist wouldn’t is just feeding the problem.
http://wartower.tumblr.com/post/60458277036/this-lorespecial-is-about-scarlet-briar-the-evil

Even in the short story it says she only completed the coursework.

But these are outside things, even the short story, and I think they should keep all the story in the game instead of in blog posts. The story wasn’t revealed well, we all know this, but Scarlet isn’t that bad of a character. Scarlet had a lot of potential but the reveal of the story wasn’t enough for players to get a feel for her. I don’t think it’s Scarlet’s, the writers’, or anyone’s fault that the story came out pretty bad so far since I don’t know anything about how they set up the Living Story, and there’s probably more variables than good and bad.

The next story will probably be better because they’ll have experience and will know what works and what doesn’t.

Emissary Vorpp’s dialog during the closing ceremony (source is Closing Ceremony page on gw2wiki):

“Of course. I know of this Scarlet. She earned advanced engineering degrees at each of Rata Sum’s colleges in record time.”

So she did graduate. Whatever Anet said later was just spin to cover the community backlash.

As for the next story being better: IMO there’s zero reason to believe that. The fact that the Scarlet story passed through Anet’s hierarchy tells me that Anet does not have the ability to tell good stories from bad. And as far as I can tell, that has not changed.

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

She didn’t graduate from the colleges she just took classes. She didn’t stick around to graduate because she’d leave when she lost interest.

Emissary Vorpp’s dialog during the closing ceremony (source is Closing Ceremony page on gw2wiki):

“Of course. I know of this Scarlet. She earned advanced engineering degrees at each of Rata Sum’s colleges in record time.”

so yeah Hmmmmm try again.

in Living World

Zone.1275

I guess I was wrong on that note, my bad. I still don’t think Scarlet is that bad of a character, though.

As for the next story being better: IMO there’s zero reason to believe that. The fact that the Scarlet story passed through Anet’s hierarchy tells me that Anet does not have the ability to tell good stories from bad. And as far as I can tell, that has not changed.

“Nothing ever changes. People don’t learn from their mistakes.” That’s a pretty shortsighted way of thinking.

in Living World

Thobek.1730

I don’t think it’s Scarlet’s, the writers’, or anyone’s fault that the story came out pretty bad so far since I don’t know anything about how they set up the Living Story, and there’s probably more variables than good and bad.

I think its the writers fault and they have admitted themselves that the pacing probably wasn’t done correctly, that a big step for any designer to admit they were wrong. But its a step in the right direction because the can see the issue and now have a chance to correct it.

So because of that I totally agree with your second point – “The next story will probably be better”

I still don’t think Scarlet is a good character though. She was badly planned, managed and delivered. Her personality is one dimensional, her accomplishments are unbelievable, her dialogue is weak and childish, her motives unknown, her involvements in stories are second-hand until her silly appearances of her teleporting in/out at the end of chapters which creates a lack of connection between the player and her.

she really is a horribly designed villain.

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I guess I was wrong on that note, my bad. I still don’t think Scarlet is that bad of a character, though.

“Nothing ever changes. People don’t learn from their mistakes.” That’s a pretty shortsighted way of thinking.

Blind faith is just as bad. At this point, there is zero evidence that Anet has learned, or is even capable of learning, from their mistakes. Anet makes the same mistakes over and over — witness the same terrible alliance storyline we’ve had for Living Story after Living Story. Look at Kormir version 2, aka Trahearne. I’m simply basing my prediction on Anet’s consistent talking-the-big-talk but not being able to walk the walk.

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

I don’t think anyone could complain about this game having, “Typical female villain stereotypes,” all that much. It barely has -any- female villains. The majority of villains are male, and the majority of heros are female. It’s been that way since Guild Wars, and continued into Guild Wars 2. I mean, let’s keep count for a moment…

Of the Six human Gods, Four are Female.
The Last known Human Royal is a Queen, who has a male Minister as her political arch nemesis at this point.
Destiny’s Edge is composed of 3 females, 2 males, with a woman being their leader (Eir Stegalkin), and another female being the Catalyst to bring them together (Caithe).
A massive part of the Charr conflict with the Flame Legion is their treatment of female Charr.
The Pale Tree, a deity-like being, is portrayed as Female.
The Sons of Svanir is an entirely -Male- antagonist group.

I mean really, Scarlet may be a lot of things, but its almost -refreshing- to have a female antagonist for a change. I really, personally do not consider gender inequality to be a huge issue in this game or story. There’s a fair mix of male and female characters, and all characters are, for the most part, portrayed well.

I just think its silly to pull the gender card into this. I’ve had arguments with people who thought Guild Wars 2 was a Misogynist game before for one reason or another. I really just don’t think gender has that big of a role in Tyria when it comes to characters like Scarlet. Being male or female wouldn’t really change her in my opinion.

(edited by Vexander.9850)

in Living World

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

Not a bad article, but I think it glosses over an important issue in it’s closing statements, especially given how it builds an argument against her throughout most of the rest of the piece. People are not accepting of her place in the Reactor Fractal and are not excited her mention of Dragon related topics because, quite frankly, they don’t like the character. It’s really that simple. Every bit of attractive storyline or lore that players actually want to see going forward for the forseeable future is going to be accompanied with a side dish of “Scarlet did it” or “Scarlet started that” or “that’s part of Scarlet’s plan.” Even the Winter’s Day festivities that supposedly have no Scarlet involvement still have a sprinkling of “you’re helping out these poor citizens of Tyria.. who are suffering because of Scarlet’s attacks.”

Take, as an example, a nice moist piece of chocolate cake. You’ve been craving chocolate cake for months and finally it’s sitting on a plate in front of you. There’s even a fork at the ready and you’re about to dig in. But wait. You can only have some (or all!) of that delicious baked good if you poke yourself in the eye with a pencil with every bite. Knowing that, and knowing how much you really want that chocolate cake, are you really going to be all that excited about taking even a single mouthful?

in Living World

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

That is one of the big reasons I hate her is for me she DOESN’T make sense as a Sylvari. The NPCS I see around other places seem more interesting and unique. Scarlet just seems like a human with tree bark slapped on her where as there is other Sylvari that bring some more unique approach to their race rather then just being humans and evil humans that look like trees.

Take for example the tree guy at the mist portals in Lion Arch where hes like isn’t evil the same thing but having a different out look or something like that. That small bit can make for an interesting personality more then Scarlet ever will.

in Living World

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Actually, there are some indications as to why Scarlet has to be sylvari: Her background indicates that what she’s doing is a backlash against the perceived predetermination of the Dream and, to a lesser extent, a kind of teenage rebellion against the authority of the Pale Tree. That makes me think she’s building up to some kind of showdown with the Pale Tree.

On the next storyline: They’ve recognised the flaws with the Scarlet storyline, which is a big step, and I suspect that the next storyline will have been a lot longer in the planning stage than Scarlet’s (Ree and Jeff, for instance, have been notably absent in the Living Story – and the simplest explanation for that is that they’re busy planning out the next stage of the story). So I think a certain amount of cautious optimism is warranted.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Living World

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

Actually, there are some indications as to why Scarlet has to be sylvari: Her background indicates that what she’s doing is a backlash against the perceived predetermination of the Dream and, to a lesser extent, a kind of teenage rebellion against the authority of the Pale Tree. That makes me think she’s building up to some kind of showdown with the Pale Tree.

While that is certainly there, I like that the article also points out that she completely trivializes how big of an impact the dream has on sylvari by shrugging it off effortlessly. Becoming soundless is a long difficult road by all accounts yet Scarlet just kind of blows it off like it’s nothing. Additionally I’ve gotten the impression she more sees the Dreamers and Nightmare Court as equally foolish and simply not worth her time (unless she can use them as minions apparently).

Really her incredible intelligence and abilities would have been far easier to swallow if she was asura. That race is pretty much built on the premise of being vastly intelligent. Having her be a true genius among asura would have generated much less backlash even though she would then be an over the top stereotypical asuran supervillain. Still I think I’d prefer that to the mary sue we got.

Overall very good article that articulates very well what is wrong with Scarlet without letting too much emotional bias cloud the statements.

in Living World

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I recognise the point, but the fact that ArenaNet has made a big deal out of Scarlet’s relationship with the Dream and Nightmare makes me think that that’s going to prove quite important as we move towards endgame. I suspect it’ll turn out that she has some form of magitechnological device that blocks the Dream out for her, possibly supplied by the Inquest, allowing her to bypass the meditation regime it takes to achieve Soundlessness naturally.

Alternatively, consider the possibility that she hasn’t succeeded in blocking it out at all. A component of her insanity could easily be due to the conflict between her conscious mind rejecting her Dream, and the insistent voice that is constantly trying to return her to her Wyld Hunt.

In fact, come to think on it, a common criticism leveled against her is… how is it that someone so bat-kitten-crazy can manage to be such a consummate diplomat offscreen? What if it turns out that Caera’s Wyld Hunt had been to be the diplomat to unite the races and factions of Tyria against their common enemies? Perhaps the times when she is working to bring disparate factions together are the only times she can regain her sanity – because those are the times when she is acting according to her Wyld Hunt, however twisted her motives and goals may be from what the Dream actually wants her to do?

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Living World

Singer.8740

what he says if you talk to him.

“I know she got special dispensation to study at all three Rata Sum colleges.”

here is a link to his entire conversation.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Closing_Ceremony

next time you post please don’t biasedly just cut what only suites you out of part of a conversation. Yes she did finish the courses in record time but they were only special courses the colleges agreed to teach her. so…

“so yeah Hmmmmm try again.”

EDIT; As a final note I would like to add that all though some of the information in the article is inaccurate and the fact he does not realize why she was chosen to be a Sylvari, it is very well written and soundly hits on the core of the problems with the LS as it is now and many aspects that need to be improved going forward. Overall solid article with a sound an unbiased opinion.

Etheeria (The mad bomber). If you don’t have shellshock your not doing it right.

(edited by Singer.8740)

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

So your saying that the character who has kaleidoscopic fluctuations in emotion akin to a firework accident in a chainsaw factory and has been constantly alluding to having ulterior motives from each of her schemes that will culminate in her ultimate agenda come January 21st >

Also you could find out she was only on special courses in rata sum from talking to Emissary Vorpp IN GAME during the clockwork chaos LS. I do agree however that they need to make information like this more accessible in game to avoid future confusion and ignorance as well as these uninformed forum posts.

She had no motive for attacking the Queen’s Pavilion for starters, that we know for sure. The devs confirmed this. And since then she has been consistently creating random alliances and abandoning them at random every few weeks. Now a lazy writer could easily write this off as “She’s gathering knowledge” but that tends to steer towards the always cheap “long story, magic” answer. And I don’t buy that. You can’t write everything off as magic. You can’t have a bunch of totally opposite factions be part of her learning to create some sort of magical super weapon. That is a poor excuse to introduce a new villain-faction of the month. It’s the Star Trek equivalent of “it was the holo-deck”. There has to be some logic to it, it has to make sense. Even in a universe that is filled with magic, there have to be logical rules to how it works.

We already got a hint of how she came up with the aetherblades. “Asura tech + air magic = Aetherblade”. I’m sorry, is this some sort of a cooking show? You throw a bunch of random things together, and out pops plot-convenience? That equals no motive. There was no point to her specifically going after the dredge and flame legion, or the Nightmare Court and Krait. Why did she create a gigantic nightmare tower that spreads poison in a radius the size of Norgu’s waistline? Was that really needed in order to get the knowledge she needed of hallucination-poisons? Could none of it have been executed in a way that drew less attention, and was less harmful to the surrounding world? I am highly skeptical that we will get a good motivation for all that.

I just think its silly to pull the gender card into this. I’ve had arguments with people who thought Guild Wars 2 was a Misogynist game before for one reason or another. I really just don’t think gender has that big of a role in Tyria when it comes to characters like Scarlet. Being male or female wouldn’t really change her in my opinion.

I have no issue with female villains. Varesh in GW1 was a great female villain. But you have to admit Scarlet is a very typical female villain stereotype. She falls right into the crazy but sassy cliche. It’s lazy writing. A woman is a person. She’s not defined just by her looks and her witty banter. I don’t understand why videogame writers seem to write female characters as stereotypes so often. Just write her as a person, with emotions, motivations, interests, flaws, hobbies. Scarlet is just a Harley Quinn knock-off without the abusive relationship with the Joker, and with a bit of mad scientist added on top.

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

in Living World

Singer.8740

She had no motive for attacking the Queen’s Pavilion for starters, that we know for sure. The devs confirmed this. And since then she has been consistently creating random alliances and abandoning them at random every few weeks. Now a lazy writer could easily write this off as “She’s gathering knowledge” but that tends to steer towards the always cheap “long story, magic” answer. And I don’t buy that. You can’t write everything off as magic. You can’t have a bunch of totally opposite factions be part of her learning to create some sort of magical super weapon. That is a poor excuse to introduce a new villain-faction of the month. It’s the Star Trek equivalent of “it was the holo-deck”. There has to be some logic to it, it has to make sense. Even in a universe that is filled with magic, there have to be logical rules to how it works.

We already got a hint of how she came up with the aetherblades. “Asura tech + air magic = Aetherblade”. I’m sorry, is this some sort of a cooking show? You throw a bunch of random things together, and out pops plot-convenience? That equals no motive. There was no point to her specifically going after the dredge and flame legion, or the Nightmare Court and Krait. Why did she create a gigantic nightmare tower that spreads poison in a radius the size of Norgu’s waistline? Was that really needed in order to get the knowledge she needed of hallucination-poisons? Could none of it have been executed in a way that drew less attention, and was less harmful to the surrounding world? I am highly skeptical that we will get a good motivation for all that.

You will just have to wait until January to find out how all her ulterior motives, schemes and alliances come together now wont you. Also allot of what you say is biased, subjective and generally makes no cense. I think you need to go do your homework.

(edited by Singer.8740)

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Also allot of what you say is biased, subjective and generally makes no cense. I think you need to go do your homework.

Oh it’s definitely biased, since it is an opinion, and opinions are always biased.

But what doesn’t make sense according to you?

in Living World

Singer.8740

Also allot of what you say is biased, subjective and generally makes no cense. I think you need to go do your homework.

Oh it’s definitely biased, since it is an opinion, and opinions are always biased.

But what doesn’t make sense according to you?

opinions are not always biased lolz. For example the article that this post is about is an unbiased opinion. Please refrain from making silly remarks in the future and thankyou for agreeing that your opinion is biased and there for worth no weight.

(edited by Singer.8740)

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

opinions are not always biased lolz. For example the article that this post is about is an unbiased opinion. Please refrain from making silly remarks in the future and thankyou for agreeing that your opinion is biased and there for worth no weight.

Why would a biased opinion be worthless? What matters is the arguments presented. But there’s always some form of bias involved with any opinion. People have different things they like, and this influences their opinion. My personal bias comes from a growing dislike of the writing in GW2 and videogames in general. And of course a long festering dislike of Scarlet’s character. I liked her at first, but then the story took a nosedive, and now I’m a lot more critical and less forgiving of the writing than I was before. That’s my bias. Does that mean my arguments hold no weight to you?

in Living World

Singer.8740

Why would a biased opinion be worthless? What matters is the arguments presented. But there’s always some form of bias involved with any opinion. People have different things they like, and this influences their opinion. My personal bias comes from a growing dislike of the writing in GW2 and videogames in general. And of course a long festering dislike of Scarlet’s character. I liked her at first, but then the story took a nosedive, and now I’m a lot more critical and less forgiving of the writing than I was before. That’s my bias. Does that mean my arguments hold no weight to you?

I did not say bias is worthless merely that it holds no weight in factual discussion. This is mostly due to the fact that biased opinion refuses to take into account information from the opposite viewpoint and is there for unable to form complete and informative picture and in the worst cases such as has been seen from various other people in this post ends up scuing the information incorrectly to fit there views. Like you have done. You are entitled to your opinion however but you should have been prepared to have your opinion questioned when you tried to put it forward in a factual manor despite the bias. Now you can keep hating all day but it does not change the fact that your opinion is in error and even has nothing to do with the original post of this thread. I do not believe I have anything more to say to you on this matter. I wish you a merry Xmas.

(edited by Singer.8740)

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I did not say bias is worthless merely that it holds no weight in factual discussion. This is mostly due to the fact that biased opinion refuses to take into account information from the opposite viewpoint and is there for unable to form complete and informative picture and in the worst cases such as has been seen from various other people in this post ends up skewing the information incorrectly to fit there views.

But that is not what I’m doing. Quite the opposite, I’ve presented my point of view and my arguments for it, and asked you for your arguments. So far I’ve only received accusations, but not actual arguments.

but you should have been prepared to have your opinion questioned

I am prepared, what are your arguments?

but it does not change the fact that your opinion is in error

Why is it in error? Arguments please.

I do not believe I have anything more to say to you on this matter.

So you jump in, yell I’m biased and not open to any other ideas, don’t provide any arguments, and then run off again? Please engage in discussion if you have something to say.

Jumping into a topic and yelling “I think you’re wrong about everything” without providing arguments, does not contribute to the discussion in any meaningful way. It’s more of an emotional response if anything. As if you are angry that someone else does not like a character or a story that you do like.

in Living World

Singer.8740

You will just have to wait until January to find out how all her ulterior motives, schemes and alliances come together now wont you. Also allot of what you say is biased, subjective and generally makes no cense. I think you need to go do your homework.

as further proof that your opinion means nothing in the scheme of this thread. In your anger you completely forgot that I have been posting since this threads creation and have included various bits of information as well as my unbiased opinion on the original post. Above I have quoted my response to your original post that you have completely forgotten. You can go off on a tangent all day if you wish but it still does not change the fact that you are in error and diverging from the original topic merely to satisfy your biased views. Once again and finally. I have nothing more to say to you and I also believe you can not contribute anymore information intellectually to the original post. Good day and a merry x-mas

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

as further proof that your opinion means nothing in the scheme of this thread. In your anger you completely forgot that I have been posting since this threads creation and have included various bits of information as well as my unbiased opinion on the original post.

First of all, no civil discussion should ever start with the words “as further proof that your opinion means nothing in the scheme of this thread”.

Also, none of that quote actually addressed my arguments.

Above I have quoted my response to your original post that you have completely forgotten.

I didn’t forget it, but it did not go into any of my points at all. All you said was, wait for the update in Januari, that will answer everything. And I disagree, we have been given no motives so far, and I expect no motives in Januari. Just a big “magic did it” answer. I don’t think the writers will be able to come up with a coherent reason why all these alliances were needed, and why Scarlet felt the need to cause so much destruction and mayhem in the process. If Scarlet’s goal was to combine all the knowledge of these factions and make some sort of super weapon, then she could have simply stolen their work and not built a massive Tower of Nightmares. Or if the Tower was needed to create some sort of poison, why build it right in between Divinity’s Reach and Lion’s Arch, where there are vast armies just aching to take it down immediately? Will her final goal justify all this chaos? I highly doubt it.

diverging from the original topic

How is discussing problems with Scarlet and her motives diverging from the original topic? It sounds like you are trying to find excuses to avoid discussion. If so, no one is forcing you to take part in this discussion. This thread is about problems with Scarlet’s writing, and the article that Massively wrote about it. So this is completely ON-topic.

Once again and finally. I have nothing more to say to you and I also believe you can not contribute anymore information intellectually to the original post. Good day and a merry x-mas

WOW! That is amazing. I’m kind of stunned.

Look, you’re entitled to your opinion. But if you simply come in here to come down on me, and not actually discuss anything, then why do you even bother? You don’t actually contribute anything that either I, or other posters can respond to. And then you leave the topic again. What was the point? You don’t have to be afraid to engage people in discussion. It’s not like we’ll bite your head off for expressing your opinion. But please do so by providing arguments. No one is going to get angry at you for doing so.

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

So, Scarlet’s storyline has given rise to a lot of questions. Some of the things I would be interested to see answered in Januari are the following:

• Was it really necessary for Scarlet to make alliances, or could she have stolen the tech she needed from them?
  • Was it really necessary for her to conduct her research in a manner that would draw so much attention, and inflict so much destruction and suffering on other people?
  • Does she have a good reason for making alliances and then abandoning them again at the drop of a hat?
  • Why did she not choose to work together in harmony with the various races, or with the players for that matter?
  • Why was the assassination of a member of the Captain’s Council needed?
  • Could she not have conducted her research in secret, perhaps underground, where her efforts would not have been foiled by us?
  • How is all this technology she’s been studying a part of her final goal?
  • What is her final goal?
  • How did she convince all these alliances to join her? Especially after various other alliances had been defeated. Surely that would discourage any potential new allies?
  • Why did she disrupt the Queen’s Pavilion, kidnap Lord Faren, and attack Queen Jennah?

This is starting to get a bit much to justify. You can perhaps see why I’m skeptical that this will all be explained.

in Living World

Posted by: Heta.8629

Heta.8629

So, Scarlet’s storyline has given rise to a lot of questions. Some of the things I would be interested to see answered in Januari are the following:

• Was it really necessary for Scarlet to make alliances, or could she have stolen the tech she needed from them?
  • Was it really necessary for her to conduct her research in a manner that would draw so much attention, and inflict so much destruction and suffering on other people?
  • Does she have a good reason for making alliances and then abandoning them again at the drop of a hat?
  • Why did she not choose to work together in harmony with the various races, or with the players for that matter?
  • Why was the assassination of a member of the Captain’s Council needed?
  • Could she not have conducted her research in secret, perhaps underground, where her efforts would not have been foiled by us?
  • How is all this technology she’s been studying a part of her final goal?
  • What is her final goal?
  • How did she convince all these alliances to join her? Especially after various other alliances had been defeated. Surely that would discourage any potential new allies?
  • Why did she disrupt the Queen’s Pavilion, kidnap Lord Faren, and attack Queen Jennah?

This is starting to get a bit much to justify. You can perhaps see why I’m skeptical that this will all be explained.

1. The technology is a byproduct of the alliances. Fused weapons could not be made by just dredge or flame legion but by combining flame magic with dredge technology. Same applies for the toxin from the tower

2. Being a villain she likely didn’t care about the destruction caused. More likely was the destruction was the alliances doing. The molten alliance developed weapons so they could take more land and enslave others. Scarlet just took the weapons developed. The krait worked with the nightmare court to bring back their prophets, destroy all land dwellers and flood the world. They built the tower and caused mayhem while Scarlet was likely just after the toxin.

3. Made the alliances for the tech they could only develop by working together and dropped them because they likely outlived their usefulness.

4. Evil, doesn’t play well with others, trust issues, or right now unknown

5. To get Mai Trinn on the captains council and have influence on lions arch. It’s also noteworthy that the aetherblades are the only ones Scarlet keeps around as she has abandoned everyone else

6. The development of the weapons and toxin were keys to the goals of the individual alliances. They don’t work just for Scarlet because they have their own agenda.

7. To be revealed in 2014

8. See #7

9. Silver tongue worked for the molten alliance and both groups also had secret agendas. The moletariate pushed the dredge to ally with the flame legion for better weapons and the flame legion were planning to enslave the dredge afterwards. The aetherblades seem genuinely afraid of Scarlet for an unknown reason. Unknown why the nightmare court work for her. Krait allied to resurrect their prophets.

10. Info from new patch indicates that humans just make her mad.

Some are likely to be wrong but all will be revealed early 2014. Stay tuned for the epic finale of the living story season one: OP Sylvari Engineer

in Living World

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

next time you post please don’t biasedly just cut what only suites you out of part of a conversation. Yes she did finish the courses in record time but they were only special courses the colleges agreed to teach her. so…

EDIT; As a final note I would like to add that all though some of the information in the article is inaccurate and the fact he does not realize why she was chosen to be a Sylvari, it is very well written and soundly hits on the core of the problems with the LS as it is now and many aspects that need to be improved going forward. Overall solid article with a sound an unbiased opinion.

Given that she’s a Sylvari and she attended all three, it’s pretty obvious that she would need “special dispensation” to attend all three asura colleges. I mean, even asura generally attend only one. Two would be exceptional. All three? Over the top even for an asura. And most outsiders aren’t allowed to attend even one.

Nowhere does it say that she took lesser versions of any of the classes or courses they presented. She got degrees, do you really think the asura allowed her to get those degrees with dumbed down or limited versions of the course work? That they allowed someone below their standards to walk around with the credentials that many of them spend a large chunk of their lives earning? Threefold?

They tried to backpedal on that later, outside of the game. But it doesn’t change what we were handed to begin with.

[Edit] Whoops, sorry. Got a minor fact wrong. She didn’t earn “degrees” from the colleges. She earned “advanced engineering degrees”. That right there pretty much shoots down the idea that she was taking limited versions of the studies.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

(edited by Palador.2170)

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Some are likely to be wrong but all will be revealed early 2014. Stay tuned for the epic finale of the living story season one: OP Sylvari Engineer

Hahahaha, OP indeed. Good points. Still, it will all depend on that final goal. Right now it really looks like a hotchpotch of experiments. Like the Asura tech + air magic = aetherblade nonsense. It’s a bit of a cop out. We’ll see.

in Living World

Singer.8740

Given that she’s a Sylvari and she attended all three, it’s pretty obvious that she would need “special dispensation” to attend all three asura colleges. I mean, even asura generally attend only one. Two would be exceptional. All three? Over the top even for an asura. And most outsiders aren’t allowed to attend even one.

Nowhere does it say that she took lesser versions of any of the classes or courses they presented. She got degrees, do you really think the asura allowed her to get those degrees with dumbed down or limited versions of the course work? That they allowed someone below their standards to walk around with the credentials that many of them spend a large chunk of their lives earning? Threefold?

They tried to backpedal on that later, outside of the game. But it doesn’t change what we were handed to begin with.

[Edit] Whoops, sorry. Got a minor fact wrong. She didn’t earn “degrees” from the colleges. She earned “advanced engineering degrees”. That right there pretty much shoots down the idea that she was taking limited versions of the studies.

In the short story it says she was granted provisional status in the colleges. This is not a full tuition. She did indeed come out at the head of her class in each subject however she only studied a years worth of materiel in each course. So between the short story, emissary vorpp and the devs actually saying so. she did not study or indeed have the time to study the full curriculum. To sum it up;

built a golem out of scrap> put on provisional dynamics course> finished the course work in a year> got moved to statics by the council> similar outcome> moved to synergetics> had her thesis rejected> worked with inquest.

(edited by Singer.8740)

in Living World

Palador.2170

In the short story it says she was granted provisional status in the colleges. This is not a full tuition. She did indeed come out at the head of her class in each subject however she only studied a years worth of materiel in each course.

As you’ll note from the bit of my own post I quoted, I acknowledged that they tried to change it with the story they added later. But, as I said, that doesn’t change what we were handed to begin with. That was our first impression and first real introduction to Scarlet as a character. You can’t undo that.

If they want to retcon her, fine. I wish them the best of luck. But they need to own up to it. We’re not idiots.

Wait, wait. I’ve been yelled at before for apparently speaking for all players, so let me change that. SOME of us are not idiots.
:)

in Living World

Singer.8740

In the short story it says she was granted provisional status in the colleges. This is not a full tuition. She did indeed come out at the head of her class in each subject however she only studied a years worth of materiel in each course.

As you’ll note from the bit of my own post I quoted, I acknowledged that they tried to change it with the story they added later. But, as I said, that doesn’t change what we were handed to begin with. That was our first impression and first real introduction to Scarlet as a character. You can’t undo that.

If they want to retcon her, fine. I wish them the best of luck. But they need to own up to it. We’re not idiots.

Wait, wait. I’ve been yelled at before for apparently speaking for all players, so let me change that. SOME of us are not idiots.
:)

To of the three references i mentioned came out with the release of clockwork chaos. No ret-con required and indeed SOME of us are not idiots.

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I think you are misunderstandng the quote.

It was to study, not to just do whatever she wanted. As far as I know it’s not normal for a non-asura to study at their colleges, that’s what the special dispensation was for, not to make up her own course work and ignore the structure everyone else follows.

She earned degrees, not just course credits. She didn’t partially complete studies, she completed advanced engineering degrees. You don’t get a degree for doing your own pet projects. I think you are confusing her studies with the different masters, and leaving before she completed, and her studies at the asuran colleges.

Of course the writers could just do another retcon (ala GW1, human Gods, blood stones and the gift of magic) and say that Scarlet’s achievements according to Vorrp are just his misinformed perspective and he was just wrong, continuing Guild Wars 2’s trend of hand waving away inconvenient lore from the past establishing Tyrians as poorly informed about their own world and established lore is fragile at best.

According to one of the Wartower interviews Scarlet’s motive for attacking the Queen’s Jubilee was simply that she felt challenged by the Queen’s boasting. Why was the Queen boasting? Because the story needed an event for Scarlet to disrupt (and probably because some concept artist came up with watchwork horrors). Mostly I think they wanted a big flashy event for Scarlet to make an appearance.

I’m really glad the Massively article touched on the handwaving that goes on in the Living Story. Why did the Molten Alliance form? Scarlet’s “silver tongue” diplomatic skills (that are never shown and inconsistent with her visible persona) overcome all of the improbabilities of such an alliance. Where do the Aetherblades come from in such large numbers? Scarlet needs the krait? Conveniently she has a magic rock they want, don’t dig deeper, that’s the bottom of that story. Why is Kasmeer investigating the tower? She conveniently a mesmer of notability (despite that not being noted prior to the tower) with an illusion to dispel. Why are any of Scarlet’s alliances still working for her (they still invade despite her not treating them very well and the post Flame and Frost dialogue indicates the Molten Alliance are close to imploding)? The writers had a check list of things to achieve (she needs engineering skills, smithing skills, asuran college knowledge, poisons knowledge, molten tech, inquest tech, toxic tech) and the story comes off as just that – a check list. The implementation feels like a transparent shopping list and not something that actually tells a story or respects the individual moments involved.

I’m glad you said “perceived” because I’ve never seen that. It seemed to me like Scarlet’s story was built on a fallacy that sylvari live predetermined lives. Maybe I misunderstood the lore but playing a sylvari and talking to sylvari NPCs I never thought they live their lives on a set path. In that sense I have trouble understanding why Scarlet would think that way.

in Living World

Singer.8740

I think you are misunderstandng the quote.

It was to study, not to just do whatever she wanted. As far as I know it’s not normal for a non-asura to study at their colleges, that’s what the special dispensation was for, not to make up her own course work and ignore the structure everyone else follows.

She earned degrees, not just course credits. She didn’t partially complete studies, she completed advanced engineering degrees. You don’t get a degree for doing your own pet projects. I think you are confusing her studies with the different masters, and leaving before she completed, and her studies at the asuran colleges.

Of course the writers could just do another retcon (ala GW1, human Gods, blood stones and the gift of magic) and say that Scarlet’s achievements according to Vorrp are just his misinformed perspective and he was just wrong, continuing Guild Wars 2’s trend of hand waving away inconvenient lore from the past establishing Tyrians as poorly informed about their own world and established lore is fragile at best.

According to one of the Wartower interviews Scarlet’s motive for attacking the Queen’s Jubilee was simply that she felt challenged by the Queen’s boasting. Why was the Queen boasting? Because the story needed an event for Scarlet to disrupt (and probably because some concept artist came up with watchwork horrors). Mostly I think they wanted a big flashy event for Scarlet to make an appearance.

I’m really glad the Massively article touched on the handwaving that goes on in the Living Story. Why did the Molten Alliance form? Scarlet’s “silver tongue” diplomatic skills (that are never shown and inconsistent with her visible persona) overcome all of the improbabilities of such an alliance. Where do the Aetherblades come from in such large numbers? Scarlet needs the krait? Conveniently she has a magic rock they want, don’t dig deeper, that’s the bottom of that story. Why is Kasmeer investigating the tower? She conveniently a mesmer of notability (despite that not being noted prior to the tower) with an illusion to dispel. Why are any of Scarlet’s alliances still working for her (they still invade despite her not treating them very well and the post Flame and Frost dialogue indicates the Molten Alliance are close to imploding)? The writers had a check list of things to achieve (she needs engineering skills, smithing skills, asuran college knowledge, poisons knowledge, molten tech, inquest tech, toxic tech) and the story comes off as just that – a check list. The implementation feels like a transparent shopping list and not something that actually tells a story or respects the individual moments involved.

if what you say is true they would have just given her a normal dispensation which is an exemption from a rule in this case being asuran. Instead they gave her a special dispensation which alludes to the fact that there are terms and/ or other limits on the dispensation. Putting this together with the information from the short story that was released at the same time as well as the fact that later the devs elaborated more on it. The fact still remains that she was on a specialized coarse.
Other than this i agree with what your saying. they need to make information more available in game and also make it more detailed and less confusing to gather going forward in the future to avoid the mess that is the current LS.

in Living World

Palador.2170

To of the three references i mentioned came out with the release of clockwork chaos. No ret-con required and indeed SOME of us are not idiots.

As I recall, the short story and what the Devs said came a few days after the LS introduced Scarlet, didn’kitten If so, that puts it after the backlash against the Mary Sue nature of Scarlet had started.

[Edit]Release of Clockwork Chaos, August 20th.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/clockwork-chaos-release-notes/

What Scarlet Saw, released August 23rd.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/short-story-what-scarlet-saw/

And this is what that story has to say about Scarlet’s attending of the Rata Sum colleges:

She found that convincing the three great colleges to let her in was the hardest part. Apart from their inherent bias against non-asura, they did not relish a lowly sylvari with delusions of academic excellence “diluting” or “contaminating” their student body’s collective brain power. When Ceara constructed a fully functional golemite on the fly from a small power crystal, a handful of raw ore, and a few select spells, the Arcane Council begrudgingly granted her provisional status as Dynamics student.

She completed the Dynamics coursework in under a year as the highest-ranked student in her class. Chagrined, the councilors give her the same opportunity in Statics. When she achieved similar results in a similar time frame, they were intrigued enough to see if she could do the same with Synergetics.

Synergetics took quite a bit longer, however, as Ceara finally found a field of study that was a boundless as her interest. She immersed herself in Synergetics’ miasmic mix of mystical energy patterns and arcane probabilities; in its focus on chaos theory and mapping unpredictable connections; in the pursuit of hidden knowledge and secret mechanisms derived in equal parts from the contemplation of the ephemeral and the application of the practical.

Nowhere here does it say that she studied lesser, easier, or in any way shortened versions of the subjects. It does, however, say that it took her only a year to do the first one, which left the councilors “chagrined”, which they wouldn’t be if they had handed her something intended to be completed in a year.

(edited by Palador.2170)

in Living World

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

For me Scarlet could have been great character… The problem is that Arena Net doesn’t know how to tell a story in their own game.

in Living World

Singer.8740

she was granted “provisional” (meaning temporary or in this case conditional) status in dynamics and later statics. Meaning she was not studying the full coarse work. i have said this three times in this thread all ready. its starting to feel like flogging a dead hoarse with a shoe lase.

in Living World

Palador.2170

she was granted “provisional” (meaning temporary or in this case conditional) status in dynamics and later statics. Meaning she was not studying the full coarse work. i have said this three times in this thread all ready. its starting to feel like flogging a dead hoarse with a shoe lase.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/provisional

I seriously do not see where or how you get “reduced work load” out of “temporary and subject to change”.

in Living World

Thobek.1730

Well done you completely misunderstood what we were talking about and instead quoted something about her entrance to the schools, not about the degrees in which she received.

Soooo Yeah, Try Again…. and please next time understand the conversation before trying to discredit the poster, and failing.

in Living World

Singer.8740

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/provisional

I seriously do not see where or how you get “reduced work load” out of “temporary and subject to change”.

See that little bit in brackets that you quoted from me. it says. “provisional” (meaning temporary or in this case conditional) just like your link, although next time you might want to link an actual authority such as

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/provisional
or
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/provisional
maby even
http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/provisional

Also were do i say “reduced work load”????
as a finishing note i can link stupid stuff too. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/KwpoBROvLuQ

MERRY X-MASS

(edited by Singer.8740)

in Living World

Singer.8740

Well done you completely misunderstood what we were talking about and instead quoted something about her entrance to the schools, not about the degrees in which she received.

Soooo Yeah, Try Again…. and please next time understand the conversation before trying to discredit the poster, and failing.

I believe you need to take your own advice. Especially since if you actually took the time to read my posts you would see i agree with the OP but merely pointed out that some of the information presented is wrong. But please. Do continue to be silly, i wont stop you.

in Living World

Natsu.2589

Are you guys still trying to argue with Singer? Look, it’s really simple. Something must have happened, so that Anet felt it was necessary to clarify this point. You don’t clarify, if everything is clear from the get go. You don’t clarify because a minority doesn’t get the point.

Thus it’s more than evident, that they did a poor job in communicating it the right way. No Singer – no matter how much of an eel he tries to be – can deny that fact. So, in his own belief, his obviously biased opinion (meaning his zealot-like defiance) holds no further weight in this discussion. ;-)

Shall we get back to the topic then? I have two questions for the Anet staff. Do you read such articles? This one in particular seems to have everything you demand from us when it comes to criticism. What do you think about it?

(edited by Natsu.2589)