Moment of silence for a fallen hero [Spoiler]

in Living World

Posted by: Korval.3751

Korval.3751

Trehearne. Marshall of the Pact.
The first of the twelve Firstborn.
Wielder of the mighty sword Caladbolg.

In life, he met his challenges with boldness. In death, he saved his friends with courage.

My character is Human, but I would like to honor this noble and valiant Sylvari for his sacrifice.

R.I.P. Trehearne. You will be remembered.

So say we all!

in Living World

Posted by: Nayukhuut.4269

Nayukhuut.4269

Hear, hear. I play Sylvari and Charr exclusively, and I adored Trahearne. Your post was well written, and I agree. RIP my friend and older brother.

in Living World

Posted by: Zephic.3075

Zephic.3075

I imagined my charr warrior standing in Lion’s Arch with some of the remaining Pact soldiers gathered to honor their fallen Marshal. An empty coffin with a picture (or hologram) of Trahearne etched upon it as it may have been too dangerous to bring back the Marshal’s body, it was burned in the jungle. While sylvari may not have traditions to honor their dead; as Marshal of the Pact, Trahearne deserves some send off as he was well-respected by all the Orders and races. The short speech I would have given would be along these lines:

“There is no sacrifice that could be more noble than that of saving your friends and your people from destruction.

Trahearne was a hero. His life’s work was that of freeing Tyria from the Elder Dragons. He may have fallen, but as we live and breathe, we will continue his work in his memory.

In his own words: ‘The Elder Dragons are not stars in the sky. They can be counted. They can be fought. One day we will kill the last of them. Only then will Tyria be safe.’

It was an honor and a privilege to have been by your side. We will make our world safe with you as our inspiration to be something greater.

Good-bye old friend. You will be missed."

in Living World

Posted by: anninke.7469

anninke.7469

I imagined my charr warrior standing in Lion’s Arch with some of the remaining Pact soldiers gathered to honor their fallen Marshal. An empty coffin with a picture (or hologram) of Trahearne etched upon it as it may have been too dangerous to bring back the Marshal’s body, it was burned in the jungle. While sylvari may not have traditions to honor their dead; as Marshal of the Pact, Trahearne deserves some send off as he was well-respected by all the Orders and races. The short speech I would have given would be along these lines:

“There is no sacrifice that could be more noble than that of saving your friends and your people from destruction.

Trahearne was a hero. His life’s work was that of freeing Tyria from the Elder Dragons. He may have fallen, but as we live and breathe, we will continue his work in his memory.

In his own words: ‘The Elder Dragons are not stars in the sky. They can be counted. They can be fought. One day we will kill the last of them. Only then will Tyria be safe.’

It was an honor and a privilege to have been by your side. We will make our world safe with you as our inspiration to be something greater.

Good-bye old friend. You will be missed."

I’d really like it. Yeah. (Wanted to write something more but I kind of got lost in the imagined scene. )

in Living World

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I had a nice cup of tea, cake and grief counselling ready for him.

Poor twig.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

in Living World

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Who wants ceasar salad, guys?

in Living World

anninke.7469

Who wants ceasar salad, guys?

Only if it is far, FAR fresher than this joke attempt…

in Living World

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

Trahearne’s death was the most unexpected thing in the story of HoT.
I hoped that this is not Trahearne, but only his clone…

He saved Tyria and I would see the memorial in the Epizode 2.

Rest in the Dream, Trahearne!

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

in Living World

Zephic.3075

I actually didn’t like Trahearne at first as I played human and charr characters, but he grew on me as I played the various early sylvari storylines. He was a scholar forced to take up the sword and we, as his most trusted friend and commander were forced to sacrifice him.

I wanted to see similar tributes to Forgal, Tybalt, and Sieran, but with the recent update that lets us put gravestones and etch in texts in our guild halls, we can design our own tributes.

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I also mourn the death of Plant, Taimi’s pet plant. Farewell, Plant! May you be reborn in the Dream, or something…

in Living World

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

The moment he was captured and you are around the forums a bit, you would know he had a good chance to die. He’s a very unliked character in the forums because he was marshal and ‘took credit of the commanders work’. Oh well his death was at least a good one.

EverythingOP

in Living World

Posted by: JaddynnStarr.5201

JaddynnStarr.5201

It was not, it was predicted and celebrated by alot of people as an end to a terrible character forced on the communitys story. As I have posted in another thread, now the tables have been turned, trehearne has been killed and eir has been thrust upon the story in a major way… only this time, the story wont be continued to be dominated by a crappy character. The story is OURS not that of the NPC’s. we are collectively sharing it with the Guild. And i take issue with all the glory and claims of savior going to trehearne. Yes he was the leader(who completely defered to our choices… something a leader is not typically prone to do), yes he died and opened a pathway… but if the rest of us were not there to find him in the first place, it would have been an utter and complete decimation of tyria. WE found trehearne… who was captured… not making a noble choice to sacrifice himself(until at the very end when he knew he couldnt survive anyways… more a choice being forced here.). He was gang pressed into submission and WE rescued HIM. It was a team effort by all. WE saved the day, not EIR, not Trehearne…

in Living World

Zephic.3075

Terrible character? Maybe. I think Trahearne would have come across a lot better if the other playable races besides his own had some mention of the sylvari firstborn prior to meeting him on Claw Island. The story writing was also partly to blame, as the personal story was poorly paced and had the tendency to jump all over the place with a revolving door of NPCs that we were supposed to care about, but fell flat as the NPC suddenly died to wrap up a story arc never to be mentioned again: Tonn, Apatia, Zott, just to name a few. At least your Order’s mentor made it through two and a half chapters before getting killed, the amount of time they got, which helped nail down their characterization and motivations, is why a lot of people like Tybalt, Forgal, and Sieran.

Trahearne, despite lasting the rest of the personal story, you barely ever interacted with and we never truly saw the person beneath the Marshal. His motivations were clear, but not presented in a way that it would resonate with us. It was always, “Commander, I have a mission for you,” with him. This, plus the loss of apparent control over our story, is why many people disliked him and it seemed like Trahearne was taking credit over our achievements, as he was the leader of the Pact. He says multiple times throughout the story that “this is possible only because of you, commander,” but this fails to appease us because we want to believe that we are the sole hero that can save the world and this role appears to have been taken from us and given to Trahearne.

Luckily, it seems that since the end of LS1’s overpowered to the extreme character of Scarlet Briar, the writing has improved by leaps and bounds. LS2’s writing was incredible compared to its predecessor. HoT was very tightly focused on what amounted to a rescue mission, and because of the narrow focus, I think the writing and characterization of the various NPCs was much better for it, although it had some issues of being rushed and the Rata Novus segment felt like a bit of a sidetrack that went nowhere. LS3’s 1st episode was amazing, so let’s hope they keep the momentum going. As a side note, I was pleasantly surprised to see Ceera, the Pact Medic; who was Tonn’s wife in the Personal Story, show up at Auric Basin.

Guild Wars 2 has always had amazing background lore, but the actual story writing was a bit lacking at launch in my opinion.

in Living World

anninke.7469

Funny enough, I’ve never felt out of control of my story. Not sure why, but I see the Marshal (whoever it is) more as an orgish office ordeal position, so I was always glad I didn’t have to do it. I could just dump all the management mulch on Trahearne’s head (that’s exactly what the PC does) and go do the interesting stuff. Which made me like him even better.
Honestly, saying “Trahearne stole my story and glory” is nearly as strange as it would be if anyone said “Almorra stole my position in the Vigil”.
I wonder how many people will cry bitter tears because they still can’t lead the Pact now that Trahearne is dead.

in Living World

JaddynnStarr.5201

Funny enough, I’ve never felt out of control of my story. Not sure why, but I see the Marshal (whoever it is) more as an orgish office ordeal position, so I was always glad I didn’t have to do it. I could just dump all the management mulch on Trahearne’s head (that’s exactly what the PC does) and go do the interesting stuff. Which made me like him even better.
Honestly, saying “Trahearne stole my story and glory” is nearly as strange as it would be if anyone said “Almorra stole my position in the Vigil”.
I wonder how many people will cry bitter tears because they still can’t lead the Pact now that Trahearne is dead.

For the biggest majority of us, its not the fact that he was named leader and we weren’t. And as for the logistics side of things, yes, someone other then the character should be made leader. The biggest qualm about this is the fact he was a poorly written leader. He is perceived as being weak, unable to make decisions, and a worrisome bother in his vocal skills with his constant whinning of “this wont end well…”, not to mention our choice was forced on us to vote for him as the leader (there was literally no other option then to be railroaded in this direction). Leaders aren’t like trehearne. When it comes to this situation this is how it comes off to us… Some tree in a forrest had a vision one day of greatness for another of its tree folk. despite thousands of other qualified candidates that are well more respected, time tested, and proven capable, the entirty of tyria just said “hey, you know what? fug it, well go with that tree thing over there and hope for the best. who cares if we have entire multi national army with generals to pick from… we want that boy over there…yes.. the one with the pointy ears…with no combat experience… and ponty ears…. or leadership experience…. did we mention the ears? ok good… cuz that’s important to us!”

in Living World

anninke.7469

For the biggest majority of us, its not the fact that he was named leader and we weren’t. And as for the logistics side of things, yes, someone other then the character should be made leader. The biggest qualm about this is the fact he was a poorly written leader. He is perceived as being weak, unable to make decisions, and a worrisome bother in his vocal skills with his constant whinning of “this wont end well…”, not to mention our choice was forced on us to vote for him as the leader (there was literally no other option then to be railroaded in this direction). Leaders aren’t like trehearne. When it comes to this situation this is how it comes off to us… Some tree in a forrest had a vision one day of greatness for another of its tree folk. despite thousands of other qualified candidates that are well more respected, time tested, and proven capable, the entirty of tyria just said “hey, you know what? fug it, well go with that tree thing over there and hope for the best. who cares if we have entire multi national army with generals to pick from… we want that boy over there…yes.. the one with the pointy ears…with no combat experience… and ponty ears…. or leadership experience…. did we mention the ears? ok good… cuz that’s important to us!”

The problem of all the experienced generals was belonging to one of the orders. So Trahearne was probably not the best option strategically-wise but was the only one plausible for political reasons. Plus he had expert knowledge on Orr, good for the
Orders’ reps, because they don’t look so much as a bunch of kids unable to agree on anyone else… I won’t comment on pointy ears fetish, it’s unproven for all of the big heads involved.

“This won’t end well” – What if he’s just being a bit morbid (and enjoying it secretly), you know, a necromancer…

And yes, unsensitive railroading sucks big time.

in Living World

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Hang on. I remember it was my mission to find that sword. Then I had to fight in a pit to get it back. Then Trehearne came along and said, “I’ll hang on to that. You won’t need it.” swipe

You can remember Trehearne fondly if you like, but don’t praise him for carrying a particular sword, especially one he pinched.

in Living World

anninke.7469

Hang on. I remember it was my mission to find that sword. Then I had to fight in a pit to get it back. Then Trehearne came along and said, “I’ll hang on to that. You won’t need it.” swipe

You can remember Trehearne fondly if you like, but don’t praise him for carrying a particular sword, especially one he pinched.

Well, nope. You returned Caladbolg to the Pale Tree who then gave it to Trahearne. Not really his doing, is it. Or do you mean to say that he spent nights and days whining to the Pale Tree “oh, mommy, I want that big shiny sword, pleasepleaseplease”?

in Living World

Arden.7480

Well, nope. You returned Caladbolg to the Pale Tree who then gave it to Trahearne. Not really his doing, is it. Or do you mean to say that he spent nights and days whining to the Pale Tree “oh, mommy, I want that big shiny sword, pleasepleaseplease”?

First of all Caladborg wasn’t sword, but greatsword. Riannoc was the first wielder of Caladborg and he had to kill Mazdak but his “friend” left him and took Greatsword.
Pale Tree gave Caladborg to Trahearne during chapter of Personal Story “A Light in the Darkness” and he saw his future as Leader.
His destiny was find “the Source of Orr”. We helped him find “Source” and he completed his Wyld Hunt and his Dream became true.
In the Personal Story he stay in my memory as very modest, good character.

In LS2 he prepared Pact to attack Mordremoth’s teritory. We had another mission- find Caithe and take the Egg. We had very important mission, he had to make dirty job.

You shouldn’t be surprised that he sometimes was the “boss”.
Sylvari starts and ends every LS.
Trahearne, Scarlet, Aerin, Caithe, Faolain and Trahearne again.

In the HoT story he appeared in 2 chapters.
If he covered our victories, Almorra will cover our victories too…
It was very bad that ANet killed a lot of characters, but it was sign that Destiny’s Edge is over and we are the part of new Guild now.

ANet likes kill Sylvari and ANet likes show them as very bad characters who have to dead. We was near to lose Zojja and Logan but they didn’t die.
Faolain became monster. ANet shows them as bad and everybody likes when Sylvari dies.
Eir didn’t die because he fought alone. This evil Sylvari weakened her……..

If LS3 will end and Sylvari will be further into next story. I will be very angry.

Trahearne will stay in my memory as great character. ANet makes him bad, but it is habit of ANet that ANet shows Sylvari in the bad light.

As Scarlet said: “Bye now”

(edited by Arden.7480)

in Living World

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

First of all Caladborg wasn’t sword, but greatsword. Riannoc was the first wielder of Caladborg and he had to kill Mazdak but his “friend” left him and took Greatsword.
*SOMETHING MISSING HERE*
Pale Tree gave Caladborg to Trahearne during chapter of Personal Story “A Light in the Darkness” and he saw his future as Leader.

You missed a part of the workflow there, bud, between Riannoc’s friend stealing his sword (oops, greatsword) and the pale tree giving it to Trahearne. Specifically the part where we do all the work retrieving the thing and Trehearne gets the credit for carrying the sword (sorry, greatsword). Why didn’t Trehearne fight in that pit anyway? Can’t he go get his own sword (oops! Why do I keep doing that? I meant greatsword, of course).

in Living World

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

How do you know he didn’t….?

in Living World

JaddynnStarr.5201

The problem of all the experienced generals was belonging to one of the orders. So Trahearne was probably not the best option strategically-wise but was the only one plausible for political reasons. Plus he had expert knowledge on Orr, good for the
Orders’ reps, because they don’t look so much as a bunch of kids unable to agree on anyone else… I won’t comment on pointy ears fetish, it’s unproven for all of the big heads involved.

“This won’t end well” – What if he’s just being a bit morbid (and enjoying it secretly), you know, a necromancer…

And yes, unsensitive railroading sucks big time.

Well, tbh, any member of destiny’s edge could have fulfilled that role as pact leader. We didnt have to make trehearne the leader just cuz of his knowledge of Orr. (I have a great knowledge of computers that has made me invaluable to several companies, but i am not in charge of those companies…) He could have fulfilled that role as an advisor. As mentioned above, we have done all of trehearnes heavy lifting to make him great. He needed to make more of an effort to fulfuill his wyld hunt, not rely on us to do it for him.

last but not least, i am tired of sylvari prominently featuring in my story. I wouldnt like it if it was constantly asura, norn, or charr or human either. There is enuff room to go around, lets spread things out shall we?

in Living World

anninke.7469

Well, tbh, any member of destiny’s edge could have fulfilled that role as pact leader. We didnt have to make trehearne the leader just cuz of his knowledge of Orr. (I have a great knowledge of computers that has made me invaluable to several companies, but i am not in charge of those companies…) He could have fulfilled that role as an advisor. As mentioned above, we have done all of trehearnes heavy lifting to make him great. He needed to make more of an effort to fulfuill his wyld hunt, not rely on us to do it for him.

last but not least, i am tired of sylvari prominently featuring in my story. I wouldnt like it if it was constantly asura, norn, or charr or human either. There is enuff room to go around, lets spread things out shall we?

They probably could, but IIRC none of them were around when the Pact was being formed. Because they were still in the middle of solving their own emo-problems. Hm, maybe some of them wouldn’t have made such a great leader either. They weren’t able to keep their own small guild together. Over ONE screw-up.

I didn’t say Trahearne was chosen because of his knowledge, only that it might have made the order-leaders look less stupid for not being able to agree on another person.

Your idea of him being an advisor is a fine one. I believe even Trahearne would have been glad to take that position instead. Actually, try to imagine that you come to one of those companies you work for and they’re like “hey, man, our GD died and we’re not able to choose a new one, so you get to do the job for us (and nope, we don’t care you’ve probably no experience in that field)”.

T’s wyld hunt. That’s probably the most Frodo-Sam thing about him and you. He’s the one who has to do the cleansing. You’re the one who has to get him to do it. I don’t even think this has much to do with the Pact and Marshal career. If anything, T being the Marshal was bad for the cleansing business, postponing it for various Pact organizing reasons.

Last but not least – as annoying he might have been, without burying the head salad properly this part is now annoying AND unclosed. This won’t end well.

in Living World

anninke.7469

True, I don’t.

To your other post:
Where does he get “credit for carrying the sword”? He just gets the greatsword, no special credit connected to it. (Might be wrong, though, so please explain.)
And seriously, is there anything really good about Caladbolg apart from it being shiny? You do remember the mission when you fight the risen with Caladbolg, right? The weapon sucks… And the two guys who carried it ended up pretty miserably.

in Living World

JaddynnStarr.5201

yea, the emo problems of the guild could be used to disqualify them i guess, we all have our issues we gotta deal with, even presidents…

Th GD dying scenario is still not quite right tho, I would still havea choice to do it or not, and not because someone else prophecied about it. And if they resorted to me without counsel or consideration of other people in the vast world, i would seriously question thier ability to lead as well.

T’s wyld hunt again…We have to fight for him to gain that wretched sword, we have to fight for hime to make his way into Orr, and all he does is perform a ritual in a font. everything that leads to that point is all on us. i feel like i have to write everything twice between these 2 posts we are debating in… ugh lol But as i have said before, im all for your memorial as long as it can be done without delaying other projects the team is working on.

in Living World

anninke.7469

The two threads are hell indeed. I have to open both to know what I wrote to which. And still I mixed them up.

Maybe, just maybe they’ve chosen him thinking he would be a puppet leader always stuck in his office doing paperwork? Would make sense.

Also, I’ll try to move to the other thread, so we don’t have to double post…

in Living World

Posted by: Neurion.4086

Neurion.4086

I liked Trahearne, and the moment of his death was the only shocking -and interesting- one during the last chapter.

in Living World

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

True, I don’t.

To your other post:
Where does he get “credit for carrying the sword”? He just gets the greatsword, no special credit connected to it. (Might be wrong, though, so please explain.)
And seriously, is there anything really good about Caladbolg apart from it being shiny? You do remember the mission when you fight the risen with Caladbolg, right? The weapon sucks… And the two guys who carried it ended up pretty miserably.

That other poster was giving him credit for carrying it and going on about how it was a special sword. That’s all I was replying to. It must be a seriously shiny sword cause I’ve seen several posters mention him carrying it as though it’s some special character trait. It’s not T’s fault, really. He’s a teacher’s pet. And no matter how hard he tried to change his image to bad boy with that whole necromancer thing he’s always going to be the golden boy to many, no matter how many swords or CDs he borrows and doesn’t return.

in Living World

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Maybe Trahearne isn’t dead at all, and we never defeated Mordremoth. Maybe we’re all trapped in Trahearne’s mind. We think we’re running around Tyria doing other stuff, but it’s all a Trahearne-induced Dream to keep us occupied while Mordremoth has his way with the world. Maybe the lack of any sort of ceremony for poor dear departed Trahearne is actually a typical Trahearneal blunder, and as a result we’re beginning to question our perceived reality…

The table is a fable.

in Living World

Arden.7480

Mordremoth’s strength and as we know after his death weakness was his mind.
Mordremoth used Trahearne as plan B. Trahearne wasn’t Trahearne when Mordremoth possessed him in the end.

He is dead and Mordremoth as well. He told “I am all, everywhere” etc but Zhaitan’s minions said same things.
Dragons have weaknesses and we have to find these weaknesses.

We broke Mordremoth’s mind and “it is time for celebration”.

But I believed that it couldn’t be that Trahearne could be dead. And vision of Glint’s Egg about Trahearne was very suspicious. Something like clones of him. But the story is going forward and Trahearne seems be dead.

Mordremoth is dead and we won’t see reincarnation.

(edited by Arden.7480)

in Living World

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Maybe Trahearne isn’t dead at all, and we never defeated Mordremoth. Maybe we’re all trapped in Trahearne’s mind. We think we’re running around Tyria doing other stuff, but it’s all a Trahearne-induced Dream to keep us occupied while Mordremoth has his way with the world. Maybe the lack of any sort of ceremony for poor dear departed Trahearne is actually a typical Trahearneal blunder, and as a result we’re beginning to question our perceived reality…

This appeals to me (and makes more sense) than the official story.

Trahception?

in Living World

anninke.7469

That other poster was giving him credit for carrying it and going on about how it was a special sword. That’s all I was replying to. It must be a seriously shiny sword cause I’ve seen several posters mention him carrying it as though it’s some special character trait. It’s not T’s fault, really. He’s a teacher’s pet. And no matter how hard he tried to change his image to bad boy with that whole necromancer thing he’s always going to be the golden boy to many, no matter how many swords or CDs he borrows and doesn’t return.

Oh, so that’s what you meant. I got a little confused there.

Also, Trahception sounds freakin’ cool, but… you know… Anet writing.