More NPC's having heterosexual relationships.

in Living World

Posted by: kgptzac.8419

kgptzac.8419

i think sexual relationships are overrated. I vote for asexual relationship for asexual organisms.

a shard of crystal in the desert.

in Living World

Posted by: Kim.4152

Kim.4152

My Sylvari felt personally victimised by Sieran’s strong advancements. He did not reciprocate her feelings and she did not stop. It was horrible.

Welcome to the real world as experienced by women trying to go out for a drink with friends and receiving incessant unwanted advances from random men, who similarly do not stop despite the attraction clearly not being reciprocated. It is horrible (and very creepy)! Be happy that it is just in a game and not in real life.

in Living World

Posted by: DivineBenediction.1870

DivineBenediction.1870

There are a lot of heterosexual couples in the game. Every third or fourth renown heart NPC I come across has an oppostite sex sweetheart that they mention. Often their love interest is also in close proximity.

That being said, I’d like to see more relationships in the game that are not romantic in their nature. Friends, comrades in arms and even rivals. People do not talk to each other with the sole purpose of getting laid. Throughout our lives we have far more acquitances, friends and enemies than romantic partners. I feel like the world of Tyria does not reflect that.

I agree 100%. Instead about worrying whose going to romance who. The characters and NPCs in the story should be banding together more (supporting each other, etc), after all, all of the races are facing the same threat: the elder dragons.

Sonia Silvertounge|Thief

in Living World

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

And, I predict, that to satisfy your demands…

Traeherne will swoop in tomorrow and offer Scarlet Briar a marriage proposal.

What we don’t know is that Ceara and Traeherne have a sorted past, where Ceara yearned for Traeherne’s affection but Traeherne was too busy with his obsession with “cleansing Orr.”

The upcoming “feature update” is actually going to feature Traeherne and Ceara’s wedding.

Braham, Rox, Kasmeer, Taimi and Marjory will be the bridesmaids.
Eir, Rytlock, Logan, Zojja, and Caithe will be the groomsmen.

We’ll have to complete such events like search for the elusive red iris flowers.

Traeherne’s love will help Ceara overcome her madness and save us all.
(Note: ArenaNet just sold the rights of this story to Disney… Expect a movie in 3… 2… 1…)

in Living World

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

My Sylvari felt personally victimised by Sieran’s strong advancements. He did not reciprocate her feelings and she did not stop. It was horrible.

Welcome to the real world as experienced by women trying to go out for a drink with friends and receiving incessant unwanted advances from random men, who similarly do not stop despite the attraction clearly not being reciprocated. It is horrible (and very creepy)! Be happy that it is just in a game and not in real life.

Ha, you have the same name as my girlfriend :P.

And the struggle is real :/. Theres always some guy who sees it as ‘an opportunity’ to… Hit 2 birds with 1 rock, if you will. Even after directly telling them I’m not interested. It can be really creepy/annoying v.v

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in Living World

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

There are a lot of heterosexual couples in the game. Every third or fourth renown heart NPC I come across has an oppostite sex sweetheart that they mention. Often their love interest is also in close proximity.

That being said, I’d like to see more relationships in the game that are not romantic in their nature. Friends, comrades in arms and even rivals. People do not talk to each other with the sole purpose of getting laid. Throughout our lives we have far more acquitances, friends and enemies than romantic partners. I feel like the world of Tyria does not reflect that.

I agree 100%. Instead about worrying whose going to romance who. The characters and NPCs in the story should be banding together more (supporting each other, etc), after all, all of the races are facing the same threat: the elder dragons.

See: Braham and Rox.

They’ve not really been confirmed as having sexual feeling towards one another.

I’m sure there’s many, MANY representations of human relationships that could be explored via in-game relationships.

See: Humans that dress up as charr and pair up with other humans that dress up as quaggans.

The issue is that if they covered every type of relationship, they’d have way more NPCs than anyone would care to hear about.

Except that WE are in the game. WE represent the world of Tyria as a whole.
See: Role-Players. (You know, the people that put the RP in MMORPG.)

I’d say that, generally, most Tyrians are probably heterosexual (since, well, the majority of players are heterosexual).

Granted, there’s also the fact that a lot of heterosexual males play female characters because they would “prefer” to look at a woman than a man.

I, honestly, haven’t paid much attention to what RPers tend to RP about in terms of relationships.

I have, however, noticed (and remembered) that there was a Human and Asura walking through Divinity’s Reach casually talking about the Eternal Alchemy.

In all honesty, the NPCs in the game aren’t very sexual at all.
Kasmeer and Marjory’s interactions seem far more emotional that physical.

Faolin and Caithe were likely the same. (Do Sylvari even… you know?)

in Living World

Posted by: Leteia.5267

Leteia.5267

People complaining about having to many non-hetero relationships in a vast game market of only two or three companies representing diversity is like me complaining about the lack of air on earth.

I hope you people complain about the lack of diversity in other games too. Because this sounds way to hypocrite and selfish.

in Living World

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

People complaining about having to many non-hetero relationships in a vast game market of only two or three companies representing diversity is like me complaining about the lack of air on earth.

I hope you people complain about the lack of diversity in other games too. Because this sounds way to hypocrite and selfish.

Indeed, and ironically, when there are more romantic hetero relationships between NPCs (i.e. not between the PC and an NPC), the same people who are demanding them now, will almost always find fault with them, because they’re too soppy or too much of a focus or they don’t like one of the people involved (usually the dude) or whatever.

I’m fascinated by the people suggesting “all the male NPCs in GW2 suck”. I’d love to hear about some male NPCs (not the PC) in games they thought didn’t suck.

in Living World

Posted by: Baya.7283

Baya.7283

I agree that they need a good heterosexual relationship. A good one and not some rushed story. Maybe a bit generic in the GW2 universe but making the pair human would make it easier to relate to them and such. Another thing with these characters is that we need more dialogue between them. We don’t get much from the living story updates.

My character idea. O_o

What if they killed Jory off and Kas eventually found herself some male? That’d be awesome to me. Needs to be a strong mysterious character though, perhaps somewhat generic but if they twist it in the right way he could be awesome.

Imo though they need a strong male lead that we can relate to. The character needs to be powerful and full of conviction, not some Braham style Mother’s boy. Make him more alpha! Just not over the top. He also needs to be a bit darker than the rest of the cast. Arghhh! We need a powerful warrior and leader! Not some pushover! Another thing is that he needs to have more meat on him than most. Most of the male character models are rather skinny and not very warrior like. Also for the love of god please have the best voice actor Anet can find.

I know it’s a balance thing but one of the “Hero” Npcs like Thackery getting annihilated in under 10 seconds just ruins it for me. Kills dragons but get’s kitten d by a couple of bandits easy mode. He needs to be a useful npc in combat. That in itself would make the character feel more important and such.

Also please don’t give him hair like Braham’s or something. One of the reasons I don’t like Braham is the way he has his hair. It does not suit a guy his size. I don’t think it suits Norn’ in general. Maybe the women though.

With the female, she needs to be soft and feminine. Less “Hurr let’s kill kitten!” Not as much of a fighter than most of the other females we’ve seen but more of a pacifist?

Guess my idea is somewhat generic but Anet have some creative writers. I’m sure they can mold them into something more unique and less cookie cutter.

I bet Blizzard could do it easily…They’ve got some awesome writers over there.

Your idea is about everything that is wrong with the writing of most male and female characters. so i really hope you are trolling. Firstly what you are describing is a near perfect stereotypical male with one or two non fatal character flaws, mysterious yet charming and probably a dark past as well. Not only is this totally overdone, it is also boring as well, since your character is already nearly perfect, there will be no evolution,which is needed for well rounded characters. Even trahearne ( who has a great back story, scholar needing to accept his responsibilities and who needs to step up his game), who’s in game part lacked a lot, would be a lot more interesting, because of his flaws( lack of self respect) make for a good evolution(if only the last arc of storyline wasn’t so rushed).
secondly, killing off an existing, much more interesting character in a gay relationship for the sake of a heterosexual relationship is very problematic. It would also make light of Kasmeer’s feelings, letting her lover die and she conveniently ends up in the arms of a male alpha hero, who immediately makes her his. Most likely she would end up grieving for months or even years, so it would be hard to make such a relationship work in the living story arcs.
And none of that ‘but Jory would want her to go on with her life’ idiocy, if you lose someone you love, it can take ages before you get over that, since you still love the person. Jory is very dear to Kasmeer.
Thirdly, all these characters are strong in their femininity, which has nothing to do with how fierce of a warrior you are. The idea that women are inherently more pacifist and that therefore pacifism is more feminine is wrong, the fact is that women tend to use direct violence less, because it is frowned upon in our society. In the society of GW, where gender roles are somewhat different, it might as well be that women are just as aggressive as men when angered. (also have you ever seen women fight, it’s vicious). This also means that a woman can be perfectly stereotypically feminine and still be a vicous warrior and a man who does not fullfill your standards of a buff alpha male could be seen as perfectly masculine in guild wars 2.

tl;dr: males don’t need to be alpha male to be interesting, females don’t need to be ultra feminine to be interesting, gender should always be below characteristics in character design and stop killing off gay relationships, kitten .

in Living World

Posted by: Stephen McBeaven.5640

Stephen McBeaven.5640

Baya, while I agree with much of what you wrote, it doesn’t even scratch the surface of what’s wrong with Templar’s post…

in Living World

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

ArenaNet and the Guild Wars 2 team have gone a long way to provide strong story and dialog to hint at homosexual love in the game and that is all fine and dandy, I won’t hate on girl on girl love. However I cannot help but notice that there is a lack of heterosexual relationships in the game, correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the only man and woman relationship in the story is Logan and Queen Jennah. This post is to gather support for a strong male NPC to come in the near future that could potentially become a love interest for an NPC of the opposite sex. Thank you for reading and thank you again if you agree.

P.S. by strong I don’t mean ugly as busted rocks, I mean clean, eloquent, well behaved and good looking. Someone that has the prestige of Thackeray, but more of a loner, not so eager to be the Queen’s lapdog if you know what I mean.

I’d hardly call Logan & Jenna a “relationship”. It’s more someone trying to impress someone else who doesn’t care.

I definitely agree the writers seem to have a disdain for females loving strong male characters. They seem to love to have females put down male characters, since they do it regularly. I don’t know, people seems to feel the same way here. kinda scary.

Seems like that’s a pretty rude, disrespectful, baseless and really extreme assumption, given they’ve not exactly had long and only have written a few “big” characters.

Eh.. I don’t know if thats “rude, disrespectful, baseless”. it’s writing, he’s telling you his review of the work. If that’s what he’s seeing, then maybe it’s there. You can’t just label it evil because you don’t like it. I personally don’t think any of the LS is very good. Especially the characters & dialog. I’d have to agree that either whoever is writing the characters is missing the mark or is actively tying to make a “point”. Id rather have cool stories then some kind of message.

I’m fascinated by the people suggesting “all the male NPCs in GW2 suck”. I’d love to hear about some male NPCs (not the PC) in games they thought didn’t suck.

Master of Whispers, General Morgan, Vekk, Master Togo(& don’t go on about his voice acting), Koss.

I thought Tybalt & Forgal were great. Forgal was what people here would call “Alpha Male” which I guess is a bad thing now that we should all hate. But they make sure that there are scenes where Almorra Soulkeeper puts him in his place so he doesn’t get too “male” which I suppose it also bad now. I don’t care, he was fun & I liked him. Tybal wasn’t strong or talented he was just super fun. It’s really just the LS. The characters aren’t fun, they aren’t cool, they act “hip”, the dialog is ridiculous. ugh.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

in Living World

Posted by: JGBarbarian.3579

JGBarbarian.3579

I agree with the posts saying that the game lack interesting male characters. The ones I liked on the top of my head (and the reasons why) are:

Forgal – A true warmaster, knows when to kick the door and when to strategize. Suffered the worst tragedy a man can suffer and yet continued to fight with an iron will. Norn among norns.
Azalus Poisontongue – epitomy of funny (sadly just an event npc)
Khudu – No morals, no jokes, no smiles, no crying, no bullkitten. Just one asura genius trying to create the best weapon ever.

To me they are so much better than the main male characters we have:

Logan – Idolatrizes a woman like if she were some kind of goddess creator of the universe or something like that (and to this day he didnt get much in return it would seem xd)
Rytlock – Such a massive anger (love?) because his friend left him for his girlfriend. Buddy this happens everyday; he is your friend, she is his girlfriend, you lose.
Tybalt – Nyaa nyaa I have a big trauma with explosions.
Braham – Nyaa nyaa I hate my mum because she never loved me, nyaa nyaa Rox does not love me either buaaaa.
Canach – My past is wrong buaaaa.
Male leaders (Smodur, Flax, Knut): They never do a thing.

My opinion, not necesarily the same for other people. Sorry for the off-topic, I do want more heterosexual relationships

in Living World

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

Actually, I think they should introduce a male gay couple, because why not?

in Living World

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

I’d hardly call Logan & Jenna a “relationship”. It’s more someone trying to impress someone else who doesn’t care.

This seems to be a case of bad writing. We’ve been assured before outside of the game that they do care for each other mutually, but from what we see in game and the way their interactions are written in the Edge of Destiny novel, it really comes across as one-sided idol-worship on Logan’s part. I’d definitely not object to seeing that relationship explored a little more.

in Living World

Posted by: Fox Reeveheart.1890

Fox Reeveheart.1890

it’s different when it’s living story and not personal story

The difference is that you had the stupid idiotic kissy kissy face relationship in our own faces for the past few months. It was horribly written and frankly I don’t see how the writers should be embarrassed by this.

OH GOD NO DON’T BE DEAD
KISS
LEL IM NOT ACTUALLY DEAD

Every girl I know that plays this game that is at least bi (3-4 of them, actually, progressive girls love to game apparently). I have gotten around to asking them while they were playing what they think and not one of them liked it, they thought it was stupid kissy face drivel.

in Living World

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

Actually, we have enough female partnerships, but not enough male ones. Where’s the Logan X Rytlock Living Story???

It’s been there the whole time.

in Living World

Posted by: Gaius.1425

Gaius.1425

Call me when my human pc can get himself a Norn daddy.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

^ I hear that Braham is single… You may need to fight a Charr to prove you’re worthy of him though.

in Living World

Posted by: kitsuneshoujo.5734

kitsuneshoujo.5734

Jennah and Logan kitten me off. I hated that part in the book SO freaking much and wished Rytlock would have gutted him. Seriously ugh. And he’s so whiney in the game too.
I think Jennah just mesmer’ed him into loving her because she was obsessed with him… magical overly attached girlfriend anyone? lol

“I bet Blizzard could do it easily…They’ve got some awesome writers over there.”

I think there are plenty of hetero couples in game, and this one too. It’s just that the gay ones get more attention because of either hate, or because it’s refreshing not see some stereotypical crap about a muscle-head and his “I’m really powerful, but I can’t defend myself or be revelant without a big strong man next to me” love interest. >.>

HAHAHAHHAAa…ahah… hah… ok laughed too much there. :P

Also why does it have to be a strong and powerful male? I’d like to see a woman do the same thing and dominate the scene (no, not you Jennah), and remain like that after collecting some dude to be her love-interest.

in Living World

kitsuneshoujo.5734

My post is a bit messed up… in content order and can’t seem to edit it. >.<

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Saying that you dislike the Marjory/Kasmeer relationship because it feels contrived or badly written (which I’ll agree, it can feel a little (changed from “bit” because see the next two letters) cheesy at times) is fine, but the vast majority of complaints about it seem to revolve around “I’m tired of seeing homosexual relationships. I want to see a good old fashioned, proper heterosexual relationship instead!”, which says to me they’re upset about the subject, not the delivery.

Don’t get me wrong. I’d be happy to see a positive, uplifting heterosexual relationship in GW2 too, because most of the well-known couples have not had the best of relationships. (They either can’t love each other freely due to political, racial or class reasons, or one or the other partner ends up dead.) But on the flipside, the same can be said of homosexual relationships. The other major same-sex couple, Caithe and Faolain, is an example of a terrible relationship; Faolain is cruel, manipulative and abusive, but constantly trying to lure Caithe back. The equivalent would be having a major heterosexual relationship where the man was an abusive, violent husband who beat and belittled his wife (or a wife that did the same to her husband), but constantly continued to stalk them after they broke off the relationship.

Kasmeer and Marjory are perhaps the first couple in the game, heterosexual OR homosexual, that seems founded in mutual respect and attraction and, so far, appears to be going well. I cheer for such stories no matter who the participants are, even if perhaps I can’t personally empathise as much with them due to my sexual preferences.

(edited by Zaxares.5419)

in Living World

Posted by: ThunderBadger.3049

ThunderBadger.3049

Anet hasn’t shown true equality in relationships yet, the only way get there is to include more male/male relationships. (I know of only one in the game so far.) But they aren’t gonna do that, especially not putting one in the spotlight as much as Majory/Kasmeer’s. Why? Because they don’t think it will “sell” well. And that is a bad way to think about it, equality should come first.

in Living World

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

are you guys forgetting about the seraph/bandit couple? i laughed a bit when i found them :P

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

in Living World

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

It is time for the moderates to close this thread, it has been derailed by extremely homophobic comments. I find it extremely insulting, and highly distressing to see such extremists preaching hate.

There is nothing wrong with being gay, ArenaNet are NOT making a political statement, love is love. If you find same-sex attraction offensive then perhaps you should stop playing this game.

ArenaNet are NOT “shoving homosexuality in our faces”, they are NOT “picking sides”, they are NOT creating controversy. They are doing the morally right thing by being part of a loving, healthy, progressive, civil society.

(edited by Arnath.2319)

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Ike.1256

Lord Ike.1256

I’m inclined to disagree, I for one don’t want to see more heterosexual romances in this game as there are plenty of those residing all over different media, and in this game as well. There are a lot of people who have had a lack of representation in media, and a heterosexual relationship for one, is not hard to come by.

Imagine how you feel, in this one game there is not a romance you can identify with. Now imagine every game was like that. Some people are happy to find just one thing in one game they might identify with, and I for one find it quite refreshing to see this relationship at the forefront and not so hidden.
TL;DR, no, I don’t think we need more Heterosexual relationships.

in Living World

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

Logan and Jennah are definitely a relationship, a relationship with a massive hitch called ‘duty and responsibility’. Jennah has a kingdom to lead and an image to project, Logan has a kingdom to protect. They can still love each other while recognizing that keeping Kryta in one piece must always come first. Sometimes these things just don’t work out like Kas and Jory, life isn’t always that easy.

I definitely agree the writers seem to have a disdain for females loving strong male characters. They seem to love to have females put down male characters, since they do it regularly. I don’t know, people seems to feel the same way here. kinda scary.

I know, its like they create actual living characters and write for actual people instead of outright aiming for undersexed heterosexual male teenagers like the good ol’ days of vidya games. Odd how that works.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

in Living World

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

I don’t mind that there are homosexual relationships portrayed in the game but they do seem to be more celebrated and prominent than any heterosexual relationships in game. The only heterosexual relationships that are noteworthy are not really there as it is.

There’s Logan and Jennah, which is one sided on Logan’s behalf with Jennah just using his feelings for her to make sure she has a devout protector, and there’s the 2 Asura in the personal story in Arah, in which one of them dies before their relationship is really cemented.

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head. Two relationships that are not relationships. Oh I suppose one of the sylvari personal stories has another failed relationship as one converts to the Nightmare court.

There are 3 homosexual relationships in personal story/living story: 1 male male (Sylvari personal story), and two female female, Caithe/Faolin, and Kasmeer/Marjory

It’d be nice to have a SUCCESSFUL male female couple you know, just to balance things out.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Living World

Devildoc.6721

Rox and Braham please. They seem like they can be good together.

I’d prefer couples be at least… biologically compatible.

No this isn’t “racist” races are all of the same species..

(edited by Moderator)

in Living World

Posted by: Ominous.7583

Ominous.7583

How about less romance PERIOD and more PEW PEW fighting dragons ?

-Ironcurtain

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Its hard enough to make a heterosexual relationships work in a computer game, let alone a bunch of lesbian relationships. Then to make things worse they are always going on about it.

They are like those annoying couples you hang out with that finish each others sentences and call each other cute names, or you’re out to dinner with a couple and they are basically draped over each other. Yeah we get it – you’re in love, you don’t need to advertise it every chance you get.

in Living World

Posted by: Leshain.6720

Leshain.6720

I think the problem is the lack of interesting male characters, not heterosexual relationships.

4/5 of the Biconics, the main LS villain, her second-in-command, Lion’s Arch’s most important authority? ALL female.

Add a few more important males and – voila! Surely we’ll have more hetero romance.

This is the one of the main issues the LS has, not the romance.

The Cast of Characters in season 1 are Extremely unbalanced from a male to female ratio, seriously your average japanese RPG game has a more balanced cast when it comes to gender and that is saying a lot if you’ve played a recent jrpg.

Season 2 needs more male roles in general, mainly from the human scale though, there is so few of them that plays important key roles.

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Rox and Braham please. They seem like they can be good together.

I’d prefer couples be at least… biologically compatible.

No this isn’t “racist” races are all of the same species.. this is like being opposed to beastiality.

‘Races’ and ‘species’ are the same thing, look it up.

(edited by Moderator)

in Living World

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Actually, I think they should introduce a male gay couple, because why not?

Tyria won’t be able to reproduce fast enough to keep functioning societies at this rate.
Mordermoth won’t have anyone to kill!

in Living World

Posted by: Gaz.1320

Gaz.1320

There are plenty of heterosexual romances, I’m not going to dig through for specifics but from the top of my head I know of Charr, Sylvari, Asura, and Human ones throughout the personal storylines. I think there needs to be more male homosexual romance, however following with one immediately after Kasmeer and Marjory would not be a good story design decision.

Overall nice job on Anet for writing a meaningful romance plot without being heavy handed.

in Living World

kitsuneshoujo.5734

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Boneheart: I looked it up on Merriam Webster…

Race (noun)
1: a breeding stock of animals
2a: a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock
2b: a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics

Species (noun)
biology – a group of animals or plants that are similar and can produce young animals or plants : a group of related animals or plants that is smaller than a genus; a particular group of things or people that belong together or have some shared quality

I’m not saying you’re wrong by looking it up, I just like posting definitions when someone says “look it up” :p

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Race (noun)
2b: a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics

Species (noun)
biology – a group of animals or plants that are similar and can produce young animals or plants : a group of related animals or plants that is smaller than a genus; a particular group of things or people that belong together or have some shared quality

I’m not saying you’re wrong by looking it up, I just like posting definitions when someone says “look it up” :p

Good on you. I feel bad for thinking you might pick and choose, but that’s to be expected.

in Living World

Devildoc.6721

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Race (noun)

Species (noun)

Good on you. I feel bad for thinking you might pick and choose, but that’s to be expected.

Well when we’re talking about race as it applies to humans it’s ethnic groups, but we’re all the same species.

When we’re talking race in a fantasy setting with multiple intelligent speaking species.. races mean different species, as in, they can’t breed.

in Living World

Posted by: zznightmare.4098

zznightmare.4098

SPOILER!
———————-
————————-
————————
————————
———————-
———————
———————
———————
——————-
———————

Attachments:

(edited by zznightmare.4098)

in Living World

Posted by: Redbear.5910

Redbear.5910

maybe you want to put an label 18 plus on this game also.

in Living World

Posted by: Felkes.2759

Felkes.2759

Personally I want these romantic relationships to be left out all together. The most you should get of it is the whole “aww, Logan loves Queen Jenna” but you never actually have to watch them indulge. All of that is kept behind the scenes.

When we saw the *SPOILER*kiss between Marjory and Kassamerr*/SPOILER* I let out an audible eew. I would have done the same thing if it had been any couple, kitten or hetero. That kind of stuff should be kept between the characters. This isn’t a romance game, and I don’t want to see it take the crappy action movie route where romances are thrown in just because sex sells. =/

in Living World

Posted by: kgptzac.8419

kgptzac.8419

maybe you want to put an label 18 plus on this game also.

If that means I will no longer feel odd about characters never utter any curse words even in appropriate situations, then I am all for it

a shard of crystal in the desert.

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Going to say here what I said in another thread.

As someone who is gay, I found the reveal a surprise, but ultimately, I am disappointed in it, though not nearly enough that it makes me change my mind about the game or anything. I’ll try to list my issues.

1) It makes Kasmeer into a Stereotypical Over-Emotional Woman trope. A lot of the female characters in GW2 are strong individuals with different traits, personalities, and so forth. A lot of the characters regardless of gender are like that. I think this is the first time a negative stereotype has been applicable to a character based on gender or orientation. Its disappointing.

2) A Video Game is not the right medium for that kind of a reveal. It felt forced into the cinematic for no reason. I’d rather have read about those two and their relationship, how it developed, grew, and so forth, in a novel or a short story, rather than having it sprung on me in the heat of battle. What could have been a really good story and reveal felt cheap and hollow.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Race (noun)

Species (noun)

Well when we’re talking about race as it applies to humans it’s ethnic groups, but we’re all the same species.

When we’re talking race in a fantasy setting with multiple intelligent speaking species.. races mean different species, as in, they can’t breed.

Explain half-elves, please.

I was so relieved Jory was alive, the kiss didn’t even register until about two minutes later.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

As someone who is gay, I found the reveal a surprise, but ultimately, I am disappointed in it, though not nearly enough that it makes me change my mind about the game or anything. I’ll try to list my issues.

1) It makes Kasmeer into a Stereotypical Over-Emotional Woman trope. A lot of the female characters in GW2 are strong individuals with different traits, personalities, and so forth. A lot of the characters regardless of gender are like that. I think this is the first time a negative stereotype has been applicable to a character based on gender or orientation. Its disappointing.

2) A Video Game is not the right medium for that kind of a reveal. It felt forced into the cinematic for no reason. I’d rather have read about those two and their relationship, how it developed, grew, and so forth, in a novel or a short story, rather than having it sprung on me in the heat of battle. What could have been a really good story and reveal felt cheap and hollow.

Was it over-emotional of her to taunt Scarlet and use her illusions as a distraction in a maneuver for you to execute Scarlet yourself? Why does every woman have to be strong, it’s almost like a spit in the face to those that rely on their significant other. After what Kasmeer’s been through, I’d hate to see her lose someone again. It’d be a stereotype if everyone was “strong”, this game embraces diversity. One could interpret your complaint to be that Kasmeer represents all women, or that women are an organization and as a representative Kasmeer makes them look bad.

The kiss was a reveal? I felt like I was hit over the head with their relationship during Tower of Nightmare. I feel like the kiss was to solidify Jory and Kasmeer as “people”, not just tag-along NPCs.. and maybe to squash any lingering doubts about them.

in Living World

Posted by: WereScrib.7154

WereScrib.7154

“And she’s voiced by Commander Shepard, so I know she is more than capable of sounding anything but cold. It’s the writing.”

I’m sorry OP. I actually agree with your point.

But this. Really? REALLY? I think Shephard is the only character in games that is as bland as GW2 characters.

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I never realized how fixated people are about sexuality until reading these forums. Really people, why do you require quotas for heterosexual and homosexual relationships.

in Living World

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

I never realized how fixated people are about sexuality until reading these forums. Really people, why do you require quotas for heterosexual and homosexual relationships.

The only people who are posting about quotas are those who have an issue with homosexuality. For these sorts of people one homosexual relationship is too many so as soon as one appears, especially one that seems to be happy and loving, they suddenly discover the need for a quota for hetro relationships because there are too few “normal” relationships being shown. They also ignore any evidence presented that says otherwise.

I tend to ignore most of them, but unfortunately they do seem to be rather persistent in their bigotry. Thankfully the majority of players don’t seem to have an issue with Kasmeer and Marjory’s relationship and I have yet to see anyone in game comment negatively about it.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

in Living World

Vexander.9850

Was it over-emotional of her to taunt Scarlet and use her illusions as a distraction in a maneuver for you to execute Scarlet yourself? Why does every woman have to be strong, it’s almost like a spit in the face to those that rely on their significant other. After what Kasmeer’s been through, I’d hate to see her lose someone again. It’d be a stereotype if everyone was “strong”, this game embraces diversity. One could interpret your complaint to be that Kasmeer represents all women, or that women are an organization and as a representative Kasmeer makes them look bad.

The kiss was a reveal? I felt like I was hit over the head with their relationship during Tower of Nightmare. I feel like the kiss was to solidify Jory and Kasmeer as “people”, not just tag-along NPCs.. and maybe to squash any lingering doubts about them.

Every woman does not have to be, ‘Strong.’ However, as I said, this is the first time I’ve seen a blatant, negative-gender-stereotype in the writing, and I was a little disappointed. Over-Emotional women tend to dominate most games and media. Look at Jaina Proudmoore’s recent portrayal in World of Warcraft, though to be honest, in that case I don’t mind as her outbursts are justified and don’t -define- how she acts and behaves. Kasmeer has always been a very bubbly and emotional person (so yes, the kiss is in line with her character), but now every time someone see’s her, they’re going to think she’s ruled by her emotions, even though that hasn’t been the case at any other point in her story.

It only takes -one- case to ruin a character. Honestly at this point I kind of hope Marjory and Kasmeer get to take a nice, long vacation and just disappear from the Living Story for a good long while or perhaps forever. Give them a house somewhere in Divinity’s Reach where players can talk to them, and update their dialogue for the new Living Story content so they can voice opinions or even give hints. They’re a nice couple, so its the least that can be done for them story-wise, to have their happily ever after.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

Every woman does not have to be, ‘Strong.’ However, as I said, this is the first time I’ve seen a blatant, negative-gender-stereotype in the writing, and I was a little disappointed. Over-Emotional women tend to dominate most games and media. Look at Jaina Proudmoore’s recent portrayal in World of Warcraft, though to be honest, in that case I don’t mind as her outbursts are justified and don’t -define- how she acts and behaves. Kasmeer has always been a very bubbly and emotional person (so yes, the kiss is in line with her character), but now every time someone see’s her, they’re going to think she’s ruled by her emotions, even though that hasn’t been the case at any other point in her story.

It only takes -one- case to ruin a character. Honestly at this point I kind of hope Marjory and Kasmeer get to take a nice, long vacation and just disappear from the Living Story for a good long while or perhaps forever. Give them a house somewhere in Divinity’s Reach where players can talk to them, and update their dialogue for the new Living Story content so they can voice opinions or even give hints. They’re a nice couple, so its the least that can be done for them story-wise, to have their happily ever after.

I’m still not seeing this “stereotype” you’ve managed to identify, please be more specific.

in Living World

Vexander.9850

I’m still not seeing this “stereotype” you’ve managed to identify, please be more specific.

The Stereotype that women are more prone to emotional outbursts, being ruled by their emotions, being unreasonable when they get emotional, etc… Come on, its a common stereotype in media and literature. I’m not saying women cannot have or portray emotion without succumbing to this, but when it gets extreme, it falls into a stereotype.

If you’d like to learn more, I suggest reading this page:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HystericalWoman