My opinion about Diving googles

in Living World

Posted by: Tristam Green.9178

Tristam Green.9178

3 words: Deal with it. You can’t always have it your way. Otherwise, what’s the point.

Sure they can. Enough people griped and complained and look – we can now buy the Gas Mask Skin for 25 laurels and 15 gold. Permanently. No effort involved, except for doing dailies for 25 days. You tell me how I’m supposed to now feel like my effort during The Nightmare Begins is worth anything at this point?

Or the effort put in to getting my Toxic Hybrid Mini? Not hard if you have a good group, but I did it with pugs.

Or the effort put into getting my Fused Gauntlets?

Season One has now been rendered a joke because of complaining about limited content. That burns me and the plethora others who actually put in the effort to complete their metas during the times when those events were live.

Gripes about crappy hitboxes on a jumping puzzle are not illegitimate complaints, and neither are gripes about the ridiculously stupid timers imposed on Zephyr Aspect skills. We were already given a limited use, now we have a timer on those limited uses? Give me a kitten break.

Treant Reznor (GRD) | Phizixx (ELE) | Peter J Quill (THF) | Ninnymonger (ENG) | Carduus Nox (NEC)

[CERN] When Zergs Collide – Tarnished Coast born n’ bred

in Living World

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

People demand harder content, harder content arrives, content is too hard please make it easier.
Make up your mind.

No. Hard is not the same as frustrating.

For example, Goemm’s lab is one of the hardest puzzles in the game. But you don’t have to start over from scratch if you fall. There’s checkpoints.

That does not make it easier, since you still have to pass each part. But it makes it less frustrating.

Long puzzles without checkpoints are always more frustrating without really being harder, because it’s an online game, and lag hits happen even with the best machine and connection.

You know what makes them easier? The freaking Mesmer portal. You don’t know if somene actually did a puzzle or simply got a mesmer to do them for them.

So I’d rather have checkpoints in the longest puzzles, and some dampening effect on the puzzle that prevents teleportation from working. That way you make them less frustrating and also remove the easy mode.

[…]

Sure they can. Enough people griped and complained and look – we can now buy the Gas Mask Skin for 25 laurels and 15 gold. Permanently. No effort involved, except for doing dailies for 25 days. You tell me how I’m supposed to now feel like my effort during The Nightmare Begins is worth anything at this point?

Or the effort put in to getting my Toxic Hybrid Mini? Not hard if you have a good group, but I did it with pugs.

Or the effort put into getting my Fused Gauntlets?

Season One has now been rendered a joke because of complaining about limited content. That burns me and the plethora others who actually put in the effort to complete their metas during the times when those events were live.

Gripes about crappy hitboxes on a jumping puzzle are not illegitimate complaints, and neither are gripes about the ridiculously stupid timers imposed on Zephyr Aspect skills. We were already given a limited use, now we have a timer on those limited uses? Give me a kitten break.

What they get doesn’t change what you got.
Would you rather keep games at full price forever?
Would you make it so only that where in the preimere get to see a movie, then no one else does?
Would you keep TV series from being re-released?
Of course not.

Most things get easier to get with time. Everything excepting real estate and unique art pieces does.

There’s a difference between exclusivity in time and absolute exclusivity. The second one is bad, because it keeps things away from others. The first one is good, because it gives you time to show off the stuff you got, then lets other get it. And to keep the exclusivity things going on, they have to keep adding new things as old things eventually become more available for others.
The really skilled players will have to keep demonstrating they are skilled with the new stuff as the old stuff becomes more available thanks to guides, updates and alternate methods of acquisition.
It’s a win win, unless you are the kind of people that enjoys something only when no one else can have it. You know, the kind of kid that goes to school with a brand new football or some game console and plays alone with it and never lets others even look at it, or that discovers some new thing or creates some fancy arts and gets rich and never gives anything to charity, and instead gets stuff like freaking golden houses.

Now, exclusivity in time requires also a good amount of time until things become available, so people have enough time to show off the stuff. The time will have to depending on how often there’s new stuff.
In a game like GW1, with little new stuff being added as rewards, and many things being permanent, 7 years was good enough time to start bringing back the old festival hats.
In GW2, there’s relatively lots and lots of new content very frequently, so it can be much less time. Some of those items were first released about 2 years ago. And I think that time is fair.
So, maybe they should have waited a bit longer to put back the newest ones, but all of them should come back in some way eventually. It doesn’t have to be in the laurel vendor, it could be when they re-release season 1 in the journal, as rewards for additional harder achievements.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

in Living World

Posted by: Tristam Green.9178

Tristam Green.9178

So, maybe they should have waited a bit longer to put back the newest ones, but all of them should come back in some way eventually. It doesn’t have to be in the laurel vendor, it could be when they re-release season 1 in the journal, as rewards for additional harder achievements.

I agree with this sentiment a bit, though I remember how we weren’t given access to the old Halloween hats in GW1 until…when, 2012? I can’t honestly remember. For about 5 straight years the witch hat was an exclusivity item. I’m harping on the Gas Mask Skin here because it’s honestly my favorite piece of kit from Living World Season 1, but I’ve had it for…seven or eight months. That’s ridiculous IMO.

Treant Reznor (GRD) | Phizixx (ELE) | Peter J Quill (THF) | Ninnymonger (ENG) | Carduus Nox (NEC)

[CERN] When Zergs Collide – Tarnished Coast born n’ bred

in Living World

Posted by: knyy.6427

knyy.6427

It’s an achievement. Try achieving something.

so much that! i wanted to write nearly the same! nothing more to add!!!

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Eh, I have come to the realization that Anet is fine with “gating” a huge percentage of the game population from some of the content. And since they are the ones who created the content I guess that is their choice. When I see a JP in an event, that automatically = something I know I will not be doing. Its a shame but that’s life.

And I laugh so hard at the “you asked for harder content then you cry when you get it” comments. Did you really go back and note the names of everyone who asked for harder content and ALSO note what kind of harder content they were asking for? (Harder fights are not the same as harder jumping puzzles…)

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Posted by: Dakota.4591

Dakota.4591

This diving goggles location isn’t difficult, it’s annoying and tedious.
It’s GW2’s premiere example of ‘Fake Difficulty’.

It’s not hard because precise jumping is involved, it’s hard because due to the specific geometry of the branch or log you’re standing on, the jump launches you at an angle instead of straight up as it should be.

It’s not hard because precise jumping is involved, it’s hard because the last branch before the platform has a curve to it with an invisible arbitrarily designed point at which you’ll either stand in place or slide off.

It’s not hard because precise jumping is involved, it’s hard because the skeleton of that branch extends beyond the skin, so when you’re angling yourself onto it, you’d land on top going by the graphic but instead you hit the invisible side and fall down.

It’s not hard because precise jumping is involved, it’s hard the arbitrarily short timer gives you next to no room for error. You don’t make it perfectly the first time, you have to drop down onto the scaffolding to try again and hope to god you don’t fall because the scaffolding kittens up the game’s camera.

Players want challenging content because it’s legitimately difficult. Not content that’s challenging because of issues with the game’s engine.

in Living World

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

I actually enjoyed the puzzle and the goggles, got it on my third try after a friend told me where to aim. I spent around two hours just portaling people up to the goggles before I even got it myself, mostly the same people who kept failing the dive.

I didn’t see anyone complaining about the jump though, everyone was just laughing at splatting dead below since others would revive them anyway and I’d portal them back up if they so wanted.

Yes the dive is tricky, but they did warn us they were making harder achievements. It feels like you actually achieved something when you get it right and that’s why I personally enjoyed it.

in Living World

Posted by: Nocturnal.5023

Nocturnal.5023

I managed to get to the goggles, and completed the diving after a couple of dives. The jumps to the goggles is really tricky and I was stubborn not to use any mesmer’s help or any guide except some tips from mapchat so it took me a while. (tried it for about 30mins yesterday and took me about 1 hour today to finally complete it)

youtube.com/hungryasuras

in Living World

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

I find the bigger issue being you can’t see that super tiny puddle until you are half way down… and to find out it is not beneath you… causing a pointless trial and error situation.

However – I bet 90% of the player base who tried it the first time blindly (no youtube videos) and missed the water pee’ed themselves laughing.

in Living World

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

No. Hard is not the same as frustrating.

For example, Goemm’s lab is one of the hardest puzzles in the game. But you don’t have to start over from scratch if you fall. There’s checkpoints.

Well, we might have different definitions of “Hard”.

To you, hard seems to be that you need to bring a source of stability.

To me, it is that you have a failure state to an individual check (say, an individual jumping puzzle).

JPs which save frequently and just try to knock you off balance aren’t difficult. Difficult JPs are the Rookery if you want to open the chest, the Southsun Cove on with the jumping platforms, the long two-JP-piece in Caledon or well… this one is actually fairly easy, but I give the googles +1 for timing difficulty.

They’re still not difficult. But a step in the right direction. Ideally we’d have short and really difficult JPs with instant-respawn without inventory damage but at the start. As in, Super Meat Boy style platforming. But in the absence of that, having genuinely lethal elements is the next best thing. It gives a meaning to failing a jump.

Plus as has been said plenty before, the JP is a minor element in the patch, and completely optional. If JPs aren’t your thing, don’t do them.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Living World

Posted by: Lioknight.8075

Lioknight.8075

Having many checkpoints makes it easy… Like I said before.. hard = frustrating… and practice makes perfect.. its not called an achievment for nothing..

Deal with it

in Living World

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The annoying part is getting there. It’s super irritating to constatly get suck under small parts of bamboo that extend farther than their visual model suggests, and that interfere with the camera constantly. Even if Anet just added a crystal to the rock platform, it’d make things 100 times less annoying already.

Serisously, the main reason I dislike the crystals jumping is because of the poor way those bamboo sticks and platforms are implemented.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Living World

Posted by: Brow.9425

Brow.9425

The annoying low framerate and the instant dead upon failure makes me rage hard. I enjoy harder content but successfully jumping to the diving goggles seems to be more luck than skill for me.

THIS. THIS THIS THIS. ANET Pay attention to THIS.

This is not the first JP where atmospherics have made an otherwise fun and doable JP impossible. The stupid fire at the top drops me down to 7 fps.

People say get a better computer, but its not an issue anywhere else in the game. If the entire game is playable EXCEPT a JP with fancy particles, it’s the JP that’s broken.

People don’t realize it, but FPS is everything in a JP, particularly a timed JP. At low FPS, your character seems to take extra steps even if you hands are off the keyboard. You can’t angle accurately. You can’t stand at the edge for a hard jump. You can’t make mid-air corrections. You can’t chain jumps.

Last year, with a nvidia 670, I did mad king’s clock tower and winter wonderland daily until I was sick of them. So I certainly can do them. This year, I didn’t complete either even once. (video card power regulation burned out). That’s the difference between 8 fps and 40. And why was the fps so low? Fog. Nothing actually important. Just fog. Which I can’t turn off.

Rathan Kelet — Maguuma

in Living World

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

A trick I found that did wonders in the EotM bucket jumps as well as this new jump is just to drop a personal waypoint where you’re supposed to land. It won’t help you avoid hitting things on the way down, but it does wonders in helping you figure out if you’re over- or under-shooting the landing.

in Living World

Posted by: Horsemanwar.1758

Horsemanwar.1758

i’m true with same ppl who wants the diving achiviement why is there always a JP and the wp’s are to far away. i play almost 2 years and realy hate JP’s even i have try them en get never on top of it so diving and JP’s must not come together so the other ppl can do only the diving spot and not that terrible JP’s

in Living World

Posted by: roseria.7695

roseria.7695

Really? This is not that hard at all if you actually practice it. Considering that majority of the game’s content is easy, harder JPs & diving goggles like these are a fresh change of pace.

tbh, what’s annoying isn’t dying.

It’s that the wp’s are far from the puzzle, requiring you to travel through the map to get back.
That’s just annoying.
It’s not difficult. but it’s very frustrating.

The map could really do with a wp closer to the jp.

or just a crystal more so you dont have to stress so much on the last part.

personally, I’d prefer they just removed the time aspect.

For example, I enjoyed going for the master crystal in Bazaar. Where you had to land the jumps perfectly, had to use an exact number of wind jumps. Thats ok.
The timer though, makes it so you don’t really have time to plan/look where you need to go.
It adds a sense of “urgency” (maybe thats what anet was going for? considering the theme….but I don’t like it.)

yeah but that would’nt make so much sense with the crash thing since the time thing comes from the crystals being shards and not whole

Roserra @ [ATT] – Attuned

in Living World

roseria.7695

The annoying part is getting there. It’s super irritating to constatly get suck under small parts of bamboo that extend farther than their visual model suggests, and that interfere with the camera constantly. Even if Anet just added a crystal to the rock platform, it’d make things 100 times less annoying already.

Serisously, the main reason I dislike the crystals jumping is because of the poor way those bamboo sticks and platforms are implemented.

Thank you for getting my point more out there (English isnt my native)

in Living World

roseria.7695

3 words: Deal with it. You can’t always have it your way. Otherwise, what’s the point.

with all respect please bring something with worth to this thread instead of voicing something that’s of no use to us anyways.

this is a suggestion not a demand a voice of what the player base sees

in Living World

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

Whining becomes suggestion. Sad.