My thoughts on Tangled Paths

in Living World

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Man, I am very disappointed by the fact that this is a very short episode. In fact, this is the shortest one out of the all of them so far. The ending was the most predictable considering how Caithe tends to follow you around plus there was foreshadowing from a Norn hunter saying “he doesn’t trust sylvari”. I will say that I like the maze part though it has been a bit of a pain facing the legendary boss for several times.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I agree except with the legendary boss bit. It felt like they were playing with a heroes henchies system for using npcs to aid in battles. The more npcs you found, the easier the fight vs the boss became.

Could be a precursor for henchies in instances or a step towards better ai and npc skills

in Living World

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Yeah, I do see your point. It starts out annoyingly hard but it becomes a breeze with every rescue.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

in Living World

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

agree here.
How do they need 2 weeks to make something like that is far beyond me.

Identical story to last episode, recycled graphics from the Nightmare tower,
zero creativity.

Well i guess not every episode can be a highlight

in Living World

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

^
Exactly my thoughts 100%.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Yes, the egg wasnt really a secret was it. That was extremely poor storytelling there. I know my character would never have been that stupid

in Living World

Posted by: barnabas j collins.2306

barnabas j collins.2306

I really don’t mind that it was a bit short since it was only two weeks between episodes. And I like the lab. the pact fleet weapons, the option of playing as a fire shooting scorpion. And the explorer outfit looks good on my ranger.

As to my thoughts on the story, I’ll withhold judgement till I see where it goes.

The only disappointment for me was not getting another glove for doing the story on an alt.

Was this update as amazing as the last? No. But I enjoyed it.

in Living World

Posted by: dgenxp.4983

dgenxp.4983

I Completely Agree 100% ^

in Living World

dgenxp.4983

Considering this season is only 10 Chapters this one I think could have been combined with next patch as it only took me about 1 hour to complete first time and around 30 minutes the second time, this doesn’t matter to me on saying that I enjoyed this weeks story and the cliffhanger though predictable was interesting. I just feel it was a waste of a whole chapter.

in Living World

Posted by: GscGunner.2419

GscGunner.2419

After we killed Zhaitan we got a pact token and granted us a free pact weapon. Seriously why the hell is it a black lion chest item?! This is becoming insane… Gem Wars 2

in Living World

dgenxp.4983

@GscGunner: yes we got 1 single Weapon token after killing Zhaitan with 0 new armor skins, at least in this we are getting 1 free armor skin each patch until the season ends so imo 1 weapon skin in Personal Story to 6 armor skins in living world i go with the armor skins its a better deal, but that is just my opinion

in Living World

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

I don’t think there was enough to this patch for it to stand on it’s own.

The instances were short and few and didn’t do a whole lot to advance the story. And we have gotten just an infuriating pac-man cave added that’s only open for a few minutes after long stretches of being closed.

Sadly, this patch seems to dissolve down to: here, go back and spend MANY more hours grinding in a zone that you already spent many hours in in the past two weeks. And oh, you’ll have to keep running the same events you played last patch every 5 minutes as well.

I don’t like being harsh, but this patch has been an extreme disappointment. (Somewhat off topic, but seriously, when are we getting an expansion’s worth of content? Where is a big new landmass with many zones and them not just being event-only zones? Where’s a new dungeon cluster? Where are more world bosses? New pvp mode? New WvW stuff. This game desperately needs to build on its core. These LS episodes are the equivalent of the epic storyline in other MMOs. Just having an epic story doesn’t cut it. A game needs more meat on its bones, content that offers good repeatability that will keep people busy for months… not just a couple of hours every two weeks.. with long breaks between those spurts of releases as well.)

(edited by Lothirieth.3408)

in Living World

Posted by: GscGunner.2419

GscGunner.2419

@GscGunner: yes we got 1 single Weapon token after killing Zhaitan with 0 new armor skins, at least in this we are getting 1 free armor skin each patch until the season ends so imo 1 weapon skin in Personal Story to 6 armor skins in living world i go with the armor skins its a better deal, but that is just my opinion

That is indeed correct, never mind i take back what i said :S

in Living World

Posted by: quietscribe.1573

quietscribe.1573

I agree with other posts here. I felt that this installment of the story was too short by far. It felt like we should at least have been able to go and speak to the Pale Tree after the labyrinth, but there was nothing. It felt less like a cliffhanger to me, and more of just half an episode. The fights were interesting enough, but the rewards were disappointing with the exception of the key at the very end. One of the only reasons now to redo the episode on other alts.

Like other people, I also didn’t like how few options our characters were given in terms of dialogue options. I was fairly suspicious of Caithe’s behavior ever since the very beginning of this episode due to her behavior, and as a result I would have questioned her more. Also having such conversations outside in the general public areas seems foolish in the extreme, especially since spies and mesmers have been used in the past to infiltrate.

While I initially liked the labyrinth in the open world, it soon became clear that the rewards for doing it were not worth the cost of resurrection. The little pods give very little, and its rare to get enough of the fragments in one run to get a key, and even when you do, the rewards in the big chest do not seem to warrant the cost of the resurrection costs, or all the effort. Especially after the Lost Bandit Chests, this amount of loot seems a bit mean. If you add up the time and effort required to get a map through all the pact preparations, the killing of the bosses and then the time in the labyrinth to get the greater pod.. that is a massive amount of investment for such crap loot.

I know Anet are trying to get us to play the content more, but I am also not particularly fond of grinding or random chance, and that is pretty much what the open world content is offering. Grinding to get those mordrem parts for the achievements, and the badges, 2000 of them to get the other glove skins. People just are not doing the events as much any more, and so trying to get 2000 badges and mordem parts is a pain. Games are meant to be fun, and grinding for hours and hours to try to get a random chance drop is not what I would call fun.

Overall I have not been that impressed with this story episode. I will do the story itself on alts for the keys, but I will be glad when another installment is brought out. I can only hope that the next part will be better done than this one.