New skill in next LW update

in Living World

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

I’m actually looking forward to seeing what the next update with the krait is, so long as Scarlet is scarce. It’ll be great to see a pre-established race get to do some ‘living’ in this living world, and making an impact on the world.

But the note about the anti-toxin skill reward did make me cringe. Locking important content like entire new skills behind temporary content does not strike me as a clever move.

If it is temporary, can you at least make it possible for players to acquire in other ways? That’d be an awesome compromise. The same goes for any significant non-cosmetic LW rewards, really.

in Living World

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I’m actually looking forward to seeing what the next update with the krait is, so long as Scarlet is scarce. It’ll be great to see a pre-established race get to do some ‘living’ in this living world, and making an impact on the world.

But the note about the anti-toxin skill reward did make me cringe. Locking important content like entire new skills behind temporary content does not strike me as a clever move.

If it is temporary, can you at least make it possible for players to acquire in other ways? That’d be an awesome compromise. The same goes for any significant non-cosmetic LW rewards, really.

Or it could be a perm new dungeon (or instance or mini dungeon). Or the way to get the skill could be outside of said tower, in which case there’s no reason the skill can’t be gained at anytime.

in Living World

Posted by: Marquie Thomas.1873

Marquie Thomas.1873

If this skill is usable in WvW every person and there grandma will run it in WvW it gets ride of several powerful condition confusion and poison torment and a new condition toxin. Just cluster together and hit your healing skill conditions gone

in Living World

Faowri.4159

Or it could be a perm new dungeon (or instance or mini dungeon). Or the way to get the skill could be outside of said tower, in which case there’s no reason the skill can’t be gained at anytime.

I’d be cool with that. I’m just erring on the side of caution here, seeing as the vast majority of LW content has been temporary.

in Living World

Wallace MacBix.2089

If this skill is usable in WvW every person and there grandma will run it in WvW it gets ride of several powerful condition confusion and poison torment and a new condition toxin. Just cluster together and hit your healing skill conditions gone

Well three things, either you’re right, the heal is horrible so it won’t be used too much, or they’ll slowly start to separate PvE and WvW (ie the skill can’t be used in WvW).

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

What makes you assume that it is temporary?
The majority of the things from the last release have been permanent after all.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: JerekLo.5893

JerekLo.5893

The new skill reminds me of pve skills from gw1. I’m thinking it won’t be locked behind the event; the obelisk shard is obviously the limited time goodie. I can’t see them locking out an entire skill unless it’s kind of weak, like racials.

I’m guessing these universal skills are going to fill gaps in builds anet was having problems covering with normal skill balances. They can get all the professions shored up before they drop anything more extensive onto the table.

Like say… a playable version of that great axe… Please? Maybe? Double maybe?

Jerek Lo | Singh | Slagg Blackclaw | Wilhelm von Wilhelm | Viscerious
Sorrow’s Furnace
Kabal of the Righteous [Seed]

in Living World

Posted by: Goel.9127

Goel.9127

The new skill reminds me of pve skills from gw1. I’m thinking it won’t be locked behind the event; the obelisk shard is obviously the limited time goodie. I can’t see them locking out an entire skill unless it’s kind of weak, like racials.

I’m guessing these universal skills are going to fill gaps in builds anet was having problems covering with normal skill balances. They can get all the professions shored up before they drop anything more extensive onto the table.

Good thoughts, I agree.

Even if it’s just one skill for now, I like that they’re starting to introduce new skills. I’m assuming more will be coming as releases continue.

80 Guardian
Founder, “Free Buff Movement” [BUFF], BG

in Living World

Faowri.4159

What makes you assume that it is temporary?
The majority of the things from the last release have been permanent after all.

Going by the list of releases, we have arguably 5/20 releases that have resulted in significant permanent content, and very, very few of those allow you to complete the meta outside of the allocated time period, and the meta is usually what warrants a notable reward.

EDIT: Actually, I’m not sure any allow you to complete the meta. I forgot the Boss Week meta reward was wings, which is gone, even though the new Teq achievements are still there.

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

But the skill is not given for the meta. The node is given for the meta. And even if the meta is time-limited quite a bit of the content needed for it is permanent. Such as Tequalt, TA new path and so on.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Faowri.4159

But the skill is not given for the meta. The node is given for the meta. And even if the meta is time-limited quite a bit of the content needed for it is permanent. Such as Tequalt, TA new path and so on.

It’s not out yet, so you don’t actually know how we get the reward. I’m not looking to pick a fight here, mate. I’m just stating my concerns in advance in case, like many other LW rewards, this actual potentially game-impacting reward is locked behind temporary, time-limited content.

If it isn’t, no worries.

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

Complete the Tower of Nightmares meta achievement to receive a Krait Obelisk Shard for your home instances, which can serve as a place of power for earning a skill point or charging Quartz Crystals!

It states directly that the meta achievement will reward a Krait Obelisk Shard, whilst nothing is said about rewarding the skill for it as well, thus it is safe to assume that the skill is NOT tied to the meta and thus most likely not temporary.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Faowri.4159

Complete the Tower of Nightmares meta achievement to receive a Krait Obelisk Shard for your home instances, which can serve as a place of power for earning a skill point or charging Quartz Crystals!

It states directly that the meta achievement will reward a Krait Obelisk Shard, whilst nothing is said about rewarding the skill for it as well, thus it is safe to assume that the skill is NOT tied to the meta and thus most likely not temporary.

Halloween has two achievements with rewards, and it’s not the first Living World release to do so. It’s not safe to assume the best solution for players is the one we will get. You may be happy to give Anet the benefit of the doubt that they would not lock new skills behind temporary content. I am not, and thus this is valid feedback.

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

But on the other hand, have ANYTHING that was talked about in the “Coming 6 months”-post and now added been temporary?

Sure, we can assume that it will be temporary, I just don’t see any reason to do so.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Faowri.4159

The acquisition period for most Living World rewards is temporary. Miniatures, novelty items, backpieces, crafting nodes, etc. etc. Even returning content doesn’t always have the same achievements/rewards available to acquire. I really don’t think it’s such a stretch to assume the LW reward system will continue as is, which is why I’m pre-emptively voicing my concerns.

But I’m repeating myself now, so I’ll leave it there.

in Living World

Posted by: GeminiArcher.7809

GeminiArcher.7809

I am also very concerned about the availability of this new skill. I certainly hope that Arenanet realizes what a horribly unfair situation they would have created if they make the new skill not available to everyone permanently; but I am not quite ready to assume that because it would be horribly unfair to only give it to certain people that that situation will not happen anyway.

in Living World

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

since when is confusion powerful? i understand that torment and poison, but confusion?!? great thanks anet. its not like u already destroyed the mesmers main condition, u gotta still kick it when its already on the ground! seriously what are u guys even thinking? confusionis the weakest of the weak of the weak and u introduce a skill like tis, because u refuse to fix the condition bomb a necro can do.
now u are hitting the condi mesmer again instead of fixing the necros condi spam. this can render a lot of condition builds with longer cooldowns useless!

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Living World

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

You’ll be able to acquire the skill forever, it’s simply easier to earn (doesn’t cost skill points) during the release window.

in Living World

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You haven’t even seen this skill, and you already assume lot of things about it. There are many things that may make it a subpar choice, which you seem to be completely ignoring.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Living World

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Agree with not gating anything behind temporary content. I, for one, simply don’t do it anymore. I will be very happy when they implement a better model for evolving the LW. An evolving permanent world won’t even have the potential for the abuse of coercive temporary windows of opportunity.

in Living World

Faowri.4159

You’ll be able to acquire the skill forever, it’s simply easier to earn (doesn’t cost skill points) during the release window.

Awwwwwesome. Thank you kindly for allaying my concerns

in Living World

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Is toxin a new condition or is it a PvE mechanic similar to Agony?

in Living World

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Do you guys plan on something similar for the home instances nodes? Couhg New reward can upgrade quartz but I dont have quartz availabe Cough

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

Do you guys plan on something similar for the home instances nodes? Couhg New reward can upgrade quartz but I dont have quartz availabe Cough

There is plenty of Quartz at the TP.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Having mandatory skills to participate in content is a bad idea.
(This skill appears to be the only way to cleanse the new Toxin condition)

A core element of my Engineer build needs medkit as my heal skill, and having to run a mandatory healing skill would require me to re-trait and re-gear every time I do this content.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

(edited by Mif.3471)

in Living World

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

you said points plural, hmmm as long as you don’t make it grindy or something insane like 50 skill points to acquire I don’t mind, take into consideration that an elite skill has never been more than either 10 or 30 skill points.

Just because the game has been out for a year and many players have 1000 skill points sitting there doing nothing doesn’t mean you can take that as the base line for the whole populous.

Hint, that new T7 item you can buy for 20 skill points is a travesty !
it should’ve never been more than 5 or 10 skill points at the most, again just because many players have a surplus of skill points does not make them the norm.

in Living World

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

you said points plural, hmmm as long as you don’t make it grindy or something insane like 50 skill points to acquire I don’t mind, take into consideration that an elite skill has never been more than either 10 or 30 skill points.

Emm, most skills cost from 1 to 30 pts, so as healing skills go, maybe he just meant the usual 3 points instead of 1. So, maybe at most it would be 5 or 10 points, but to be sure, I’d just play in the next 2 weeks and you’ll get it for free.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

A core element of my Engineer build needs medkit as my heal skill, and having to run a mandatory healing skill would require me to re-trait and re-gear every time I do this content.

What makes you think that you NEED to cleanse Toxin though?
For all we know it will be fully possible to outheal it (if it does damage).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

What makes you think that you NEED to cleanse Toxin though?
For all we know it will be fully possible to outheal it (if it does damage).

IMO they wouldn’t of gone to the development effort of adding a new Toxin cleansing skill if existing healing skills would suffice.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

IMO they wouldn’t of gone to the development effort of adding a new Toxin cleansing skill if existing healing skills would suffice.

That does of course depend on what it does.
Maybe it makes you hit for less?
Maybe it makes you take more damage?

It would still be a good idea to remove it, but you will still be able to fight without removing it if you want.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Wallace MacBix.2089

Also, just because this healing skills specifically states that it removes Toxin, why does everyone assume that all of the other cleanses in the game will not also cleanse Toxin? I just assumed this is just another way to do so. And to give classes that have poor access to cleanses the ability to remove certain conditions (poison, torment, confusion, and toxin) while still maintaining the balance of needing a proper cleanse to remove the main damaging conditions (bleed and burning) and all of the other “status effect” ones (weakness, cripple, etc.)

in Living World

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

We don’t know whether it’ll be the only way to cleanse it yet. There are lots of skills that, according to their tooltips, will cleanse and/or remove conditions without specifying which ones, for all we know they might work on toxin as well. The medkit kit, for example, had “drop antidote” that cure one condition on whoever walks over it, and you also have toss elixir R that removes one condition and elixir C that will turn any condition you suffer into boons.

Also we know this new skill will cleanse poison, torment, confuse and toxin… 4 out of 12 conditions, and not including bleeding that is one big damage source on several condition based builds and that is removed by all existing condition cleanse abilities already, and we don’t know how much it’ll heal for if any (we might have to replace a healing skill for a cleansing but not healing skill), so it may not be gamebreaking for WvW as some people are making it out to be.

Personally I believe that the main reason this universal skill is being introduced is so that every profession has at least one source of condition removal (even if you have to give up other things like maybe a better heal in exchange) so that they can play with different encounters, like maybe more condition heavy bosses or encounters, without running into as many complains about some classes being in disadvantage for no having a reliable way to remove conditions.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Living World

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

as long as you don’t make it grindy or something insane

like 50 skill points to acquire

Ha-ha-ha-ha.

in Living World

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Is anyone else a bit nervous about this new universal healing skill?

Does ANet not remember the power creep and imbalance that EoTN and PvE skills introduced to GW1? Like Ursan DoA runs?

Seems a bit early in the game’s life cycle to already be introducing new skills that marginalize or trivialize old skills, especially when multiple skills across all professions are still either imbalanced or not working properly.

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

Is anyone else a bit nervous about this new universal healing skill?

Does ANet not remember the power creep and imbalance that EoTN and PvE skills introduced to GW1? Like Ursan DoA runs?

Seems a bit early in the game’s life cycle to already be introducing new skills that marginalize or trivialize old skills, especially when multiple skills across all professions are still either imbalanced or not working properly.

Why assume it will marginalize or trivialize old skills?
We have more or less NO information about this new skin, so why assume it will not be balanced?

People have been asking for new skills since the game was released more or less, and this is the first one.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Kaleban.9834

We have more or less NO information about this new skin, so why assume it will not be balanced?

People have been asking for new skills since the game was released more or less, and this is the first one.

Because logic. For it to be taken over other professions’ native heals it has to be more powerful or offer options that the standard skills don’t. That’s called powercreep, and its one of the things that trivialized GW1 content with the EoTN PvE only skills.

I really don’t understand why ANet spends so much time adding more junk to the game instead of balancing and streamlining the already awesome content that exists now. The utopia of all professions being bug-free and balanced is certainly more enticing than another healing skill.

in Living World

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

It’s probably less imperative that folks with good healing/cleansing skills need it, so much as the classes that get splattered by that.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

in Living World

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

Because logic. For it to be taken over other professions’ native heals it has to be more powerful or offer options that the standard skills don’t. That’s called powercreep, and its one of the things that trivialized GW1 content with the EoTN PvE only skills.

I really don’t understand why ANet spends so much time adding more junk to the game instead of balancing and streamlining the already awesome content that exists now. The utopia of all professions being bug-free and balanced is certainly more enticing than another healing skill.

I don’t see any logic here. All I see is your assumption that skills are only added to the game if they trivialize profession skills. This assumption is inconsistent with racial skills, which is part of reality. Therefore your post is inconsistent with reality, hence must be false.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

in Living World

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Just because the game has been out for a year and many players have 1000 skill points sitting there doing nothing doesn’t mean you can take that as the base line for the whole populous.

Hint, that new T7 item you can buy for 20 skill points is a travesty !
it should’ve never been more than 5 or 10 skill points at the most, again just because many players have a surplus of skill points does not make them the norm.

-you said points plural
-doesn’t cost skill points

You, have good reading skills.

Attachments:

in Living World

Kaleban.9834

I don’t see any logic here. All I see is your assumption that skills are only added to the game if they trivialize profession skills. This assumption is inconsistent with racial skills, which is part of reality. Therefore your post is inconsistent with reality, hence must be false.

Racial skills were developed in tandem with regular profession skills and are by design weaker or limited so as not to overshadow the main profession skills, not to mention that racial skills cannot be used in PvP, further marginalizing them.

As this will be the first new skill added since release, logic dictates that it must stand out enough to be used by players, else there is no point in adding it. Given that for players to choose it over other established skills requires it to be better or give options that the regular skills don’t (otherwise why replace it?) this introduces powercreep to the game. Therefore my assertion is not inconsistent with reality and you fail at logic.