Newbie with Questions re Living World

in Living World

Posted by: Edmund Dantes.8674

Edmund Dantes.8674

I am very new to GW2. I’ve been reading about the Living World (LW) but am not sure I understand, so I have some questions.

First, is the LW just an evolving story line that GW2 developers create? How is it different , if at all, from new content that’s added to other MMO’s?

And how is the LW different from an add-on like HoT? Is it just that you don’t have to pay extra for the LW additional content?

Finally, I’ve read places that say that LW episode 1 is not available to play? Is that right? If it is correct, will I be able to play LW episodes 2 and 3? Even if I am able to play episodes 2 and 3 without having played 1, how will i understand the story if I’ve missed the first episode?

Thanks very much for any explanations.

in Living World

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

They are independent side stories. Season one was set up to be there and gone like a living world thus the name. A lot disliked this so season 2 is permanent in all aspects. The seasons are also designed to keep people playing and are free if you log in during the window they are released in. They have said that even if you do not have HoT you will still bank the episodes when you log in and be able to play if at some future date you buy the current version of the game.

in Living World

Posted by: ElijahFitzroy.5762

ElijahFitzroy.5762

As Yargesh said living world season one was a living story. It happened month to month with meta events and is no longer playable but there is a cut scene that covers the major points of season 1 and many of the cut scenes are on YouTube if you are interested in watching them. The seasons now are instanced but we still have a living world in that there are events going on in the world that are leading up to season 3. All four events are still running in the game. So you can go do them right now. But do remember that most living world events are geared towards level 80s and if you participate on a lower toon just remember you might get squished but there are lots of helpful players that will help and Rez you if you get downed

in Living World

Posted by: ElijahFitzroy.5762

ElijahFitzroy.5762

Oh and I forgot you can do a lot of the mini dungeons that were in season 1 in fractals which are a level 80 dungeon. So you can see and experience some of season 1 in game.

in Living World

Posted by: hoewhoew.4619

hoewhoew.4619

I am very new to GW2. I’ve been reading about the Living World (LW) but am not sure I understand, so I have some questions.

First, is the LW just an evolving story line that GW2 developers create? How is it different , if at all, from new content that’s added to other MMO’s?

And how is the LW different from an add-on like HoT? Is it just that you don’t have to pay extra for the LW additional content?

Finally, I’ve read places that say that LW episode 1 is not available to play? Is that right? If it is correct, will I be able to play LW episodes 2 and 3? Even if I am able to play episodes 2 and 3 without having played 1, how will i understand the story if I’ve missed the first episode?

Thanks very much for any explanations.

The Living World is indeed an evolving story line that the developers create and drop into the game. You could look at these as a televion show, in the sense that you recieve “episodes” of the story at certain intervals. The Living World brings in new story, new NPCS, sometimes new maps, and changes to the world.

As others already explained, during the first season it was truly a Living World. Every two weeks we would recieve a new update that brought visual changes to the world, with meta events (bringing permanent changes to several maps as well, ex Kessex Hills).

The Living World continues the story after the Personal Story, with season 1 and 2 leading up to the expansion. After the expansion story you have season 3, which will be released next week. An expansion generally brings in more features and maps, alongside story, whereas Living World has a larger focus on the story part itself. The Living World are also free updates, as long as you log in when they are active ingame.

Living World S1 isn’t available anymore, unfortunately, but there is a cutscene ingame (Lion’s Arch) which will show you the bits you need to understand season 2 and onward. Season 2 can be bought on the gemstore atm (if you don’t have it) and currently has a discount. As long as you log on during the releases of the 3rd season, you will unlock it for your account and you can play it at a later date.

Guardians of the Silver Dragons – Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Edmund Dantes.8674

Edmund Dantes.8674

Thanks very much for all the helpful responses.