No Second Chances on Rewards

in Living World

Posted by: Genei.7502

Genei.7502

In general I like the idea of the living story. I actually like the idea of non-permanent content and a changing world with some permanent content changes.

However I’m a working adult with a family and one thing I always loved about GW1 was how much it was able to cater to the casual gamer that I am.

At the moment however I find myself logging in after a hiatus to discover that I missed out on some cool looking backpiece or other armor item. It isn’t too dissimilar from the holiday hats and minis of GW1 except for the frequency. I don’t want to cheapen the experience and achievement of having participated when the content was live but it might be worth considering giving some sort of second chance at the armor and weapon rewards. “Missed out on earning this for free? Just pay some gems and get it now!”

I recently discovered I missed out on a gas mask helm that would fit my character perfectly.

in Living World

Posted by: BatsLoveCaves.5768

BatsLoveCaves.5768

…I’m a working adult with a family and one thing I always loved about GW1 was how much it was able to cater to the casual gamer that I am.

At the moment however I find myself logging in after a hiatus to discover that I missed out on some cool looking backpiece or other armor item. It isn’t too dissimilar from the holiday hats and minis of GW1 except for the frequency. I don’t want to cheapen the experience and achievement of having participated when the content was live but it might be worth considering giving some sort of second chance at the armor and weapon rewards. “Missed out on earning this for free? Just pay some gems and get it now!”

I recently discovered I missed out on a gas mask helm that would fit my character perfectly.

This has been a common concern, voiced in many other threads. I missed the first SAB backpack due to time restraints and my asura is always going to feel incomplete.

They’ve made an attempt to bring some rewards back, or make them available some other way. Black Lion scraps for example will allow you to get previous festival weapon skins, but you’re at the mercy of random number generators (Black Lion chests) to get them.

However there’s still plenty of items that are gone, seemingly for good, and it really sucks.

in Living World

Posted by: Musso.2068

Musso.2068

I also really enjoy the casual playstyle of GW but this in particular seems to be a big fault in this aspect of the game. There are several skins that are not being sold on the trading post, gem store or even a returning quest (2nd chance) for those players who are new or were not able to participate during that time.

I respect the fact that many players had to put in a lot of effort to acquire those items and I would as well… if they were available to me now. But it seems like there should be an opportunity to acquire these items even if there is a penalty like having to purchase them from the gem store or having to complete a longer more challenging quest. Making certain items permanently limited is a good idea as long as they remain in circulation… having items permanently limited (specific example: the gas mask) as well as account bound / out of circulation seems like non-sense.

in Living World

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

I also really enjoy the casual playstyle of GW but this in particular seems to be a big fault in this aspect of the game. There are several skins that are not being sold on the trading post, gem store or even a returning quest (2nd chance) for those players who are new or were not able to participate during that time.

I respect the fact that many players had to put in a lot of effort to acquire those items and I would as well… if they were available to me now. But it seems like there should be an opportunity to acquire these items even if there is a penalty like having to purchase them from the gem store or having to complete a longer more challenging quest. Making certain items permanently limited is a good idea as long as they remain in circulation… having items permanently limited (specific example: the gas mask) as well as account bound / out of circulation seems like non-sense.

Only takes me 2-3 hours to get each new backitem released, which i end up never using because they only give you ‘one’ instead of putting it in the achievement window as a multiple use item.

in Living World

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

I like the rewards being unique and obtainable only during short period of time. I have missed some nice items too (like dragon helmet), but still, if it was possible to get these items anytime, their value would be pretty low. I like when other people are looking at me and they are jaelous that I have something that they can’t get. On the other hand a new player (or me, who missed some nice items) have a motivation to play during all updates, to get as much unique stuff as possible. That stuff is not so cool when it’s released, but after a year or 2 it becomes rare, that if you start wearing it, people will wonder where did you get it.

As I said, I have missed all the cool stuff that I would really like to have, so I’m saying all this as a player, who have almost nothing, so don’t take me as a “big-e-kitten-selfish-guy”, who got everything and want other players to have nothing. I just think that this is better for everyone, because players who are starting now, will eventually get a lot of cool stuff in the future and then this stuff will become more and more unique and valuable.

in Living World

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Only takes me 2-3 hours to get each new backitem released, which i end up never using because they only give you ‘one’ instead of putting it in the achievement window as a multiple use item.

Same here. Still have all the back skins sitting in bank because I don’t want to use it, only then to decide I want it on a different alt. And no way am I wasting money on trans splitters from the gem store just to do that either. I also wish they’d put all LS meta achievement rewards (skins and minis only) into the achievement panel thing so we can infinitely use those skins.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Living World

Posted by: Echou.1923

Echou.1923

It would be cool if everyone was given a token which could be used for one LS reward skin. Like at the end of GW1 campaigns.

in Living World

Posted by: Lokku.2650

Lokku.2650

From patch notes:

“Those who remain until the miasma reaches lethality, participants will be rewarded with daily Dragonite Ore, champion bags, Blade Shards, and masterwork items.
For players who attain the highest tier, there’s a chance for ascended materials and rewards from previous Living World releases.”

hmmmmms!

in Living World

Posted by: KodChim.5670

KodChim.5670

I really wonder what those previous Living World rewards are going to be.

If there’s a chance for the gas mask….

in Living World

Posted by: SFC Pestilence.1756

SFC Pestilence.1756

^ I was just about to mention that. Just farm the LS with a good group and MAYBE you can get some sweet rewards from the past LS events. Maybe that includes the Gas Mask and other items you might be wanting

in Living World

Posted by: Arnekun.6170

Arnekun.6170

I’ve been thinking this same thing, they should make these things available through some other means after the living story chapter is over. Even if it means having to buy it with gems, at least we have an option. I’m also fairly busy with studies so juggling trying to to get these cool living story rewards within a certain time limit is a bit frustrating sometimes.

in Living World

Genei.7502

I’ve made a few runs into LA but the best my server has ever done was 1000 citizens.

It was nice of them to give me A chance at getting older skins. However this is really hard, and only a random chance. They removed tireless dungeon farming from the game design and put it back into the LS.

in Living World

Genei.7502

OK well my wife and I each managed to have a 1200 run, both got weapons we put up on the trading post for about 25 silver. Not really a great opportunity to get old LS items

in Living World

Posted by: ekimsfree.9406

ekimsfree.9406

People need to stop caring about what others have and determining their enjoyment from it. The pastures become much greener when you do so.

If you got rewards that no one else has, good for you, and if someone else does get it, it shouldn’t change anything for you. You are not special and should’t feel special cause of a vanity item in a videogame.

If you didn’t get rewards that someone else has, too bad for you, but it shouldn’t change anything for you. This is like elementary where every kid gets a gold star so none of them feel bad.

Personally, limited rewards are good, give the game variety and appeal. I don’t have a jet pack but I think it’s cool when I see one.

in Living World

Posted by: PattyCakeChamp.5268

PattyCakeChamp.5268

OK well my wife and I each managed to have a 1200 run, both got weapons we put up on the trading post for about 25 silver. Not really a great opportunity to get old LS items

Yea see I don’t think anyone should get a previous LS reward from 1 hours work. So in all honesty yea, its not a great opportunity, and those seeking should be at the mercy of RNG. I took a break during the first half of the year and missed some cool stuff, and now I’m grinding every hour to try and have the chance and maybe getting something I missed. I don’t feel cheated in the slightest bit.

On a side note, people should guest to the larger servers for a chance to get r5 reward. With the exception of days 1 and 2, I have yet to not get r5 chest on my server.

in Living World

Posted by: graah.7581

graah.7581

Ask around for a member of MEDx. It is a newly formed guild made specifically for coordinating for this event. Working with them I’ve opened over 20 of the bags rewarded from saving 1200. Granted, the only LS items I’ve gotten are Dragon Coffers which had maybe 25 Zhaitaffy and some fireworks. Since they lowered it from 1500 to 1200 there’s strong evidence that the loot table was very watered down and your odds of getting anything nice from a previous LS is next to nil.

That said, if you want to try, MEDx guild would be what I’d recommend.

in Living World

Posted by: Alcyone.8695

Alcyone.8695

Many event rewards are available to you on the trading post: ones that were available before by random drop. They are expensive and unreachable for most casual players but casual players that were able to log on for the event would be highly unlikely to get them anyway. Others are relatively cheap because they dropped in mass numbers. You could always get dragon coffers or trick or treat bags.

Most of the items that you can’t get in any way are achievement rewards that represent not just logging on during that time period, but also committing hours of your time to complete the achievements. I’m potentially willing to let go of the time-exclusivity (though honestly, I like having a unique record of “I was there for that!”) but not in any way willing to just let a player have something for gems or buy it off the TP with gold. If I had to work for it, so should you.

in Living World

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I have NEVER been a fan of temporary content. Unless it’s content that reoccurs.

You can have the exclusivity for a year. Next year there better be a way to obtain the item again. That’s my opinion on that sort of thing anyway.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

in Living World

Genei.7502

ekimsfree – I don’t care about what other people have. There’s a particular look I’m going for with my character and I missed out on the perfect helm because I didn’t even know it existed reading the web page.

PattyCakeChamp. - I played a good bit this weekend but only had one successful run. I’ve collected enough to get the back piece up to exotic.

Alcyone – but many aren’t, including the one I’d like.

in Living World

Genei.7502

Thank you Anet! I was able to play through and earn enough tokens to get what I wanted and then some.