No add. glove chest when playing with an alt?

in Living World

Posted by: Jimmy JimBob.2801

Jimmy JimBob.2801

Do you complain about having to grind to get a legendary weapon?

Are you seriously comparing an aesthetic for-fun armor skin with a legendary?

To get end game gear/skins you have to work hard, and that usually involves a bit of a grind. That’s the way it’s always been in MMOs and the way it always will be.

I distinctly remember playing well-populated MMOs that didn’t have these grinds. It’s definitely not ‘how it always was’, and I very much hope it is not ‘how it always will be’, since grinds are by definition boring and repetitive. Especially when the reward is in no way proportionate to the effort.

And also: I play games to have FUN, not to “work hard”.

There are lots of other nice armour skins available if you don’t want to grind out this skin then. Hell the carapace skins are nice in themselves. If you don’t have time or the patience to grind out a skin like that then fine don’t. Noones making you. That doesn’t mean those that want to shouldn’t be able to have a nice and pretty rare armour skin.

And yes what else are Legendaries other than a fun aesthetic weapon? Apart from being able to swap out stat sets, which i’ve never used on my own legendary it has no other benefit. It’s just a nice looking ascended weapon.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If you make it too easy to get everyone will have it and then it’s no longer worth having.

Who ever said I was going to even try under these circumstances? I’m someone who liked to play the story line on all my alts, partly from curiosity about how other classes perform and partly and unashamedly for the loot. Loot’s not worth it now, and I neither have the time nor the inclination to go running around following a zerg for days on end. Which means a lot less incentive to play this game, which in turn would rather indicate it’s bad game design, since I’m quite sure from the reactions I’ve seen that I’m not the only one who feels this way.

And incidentally, I completely disagree with the notion that things are only interesting if only a select few can have them. That’s an elitist attitude I can really do without, ESPECIALLY in a game that was once intended to be as casual friendly as possible. I’d much rather see all players able to achieve goals like this through diverse means, so all styles of gameplay are rewarded.

As to legendaries: actually, as someone who enjoys killing other players in world PVP, I rather disagree that these legendaries are just aesthetic. The stat difference between legendary/ascended and exotics may not be huge, but it’s definitely there, and differences like that DO count. Given the same player skills, the better stats WILL win.

Well given that you can apply your luminescent skins to ascended armour, and its still far easier just to craft a standard ascended weapon than it is to get a legendary I’d say it’s still pretty much just the same as an aesthetic thing. The only advantage it has over an ascended as I said is the stat changes, which don’t really make a huge difference imho.

Also as I’ve alluded to in either this thread or another the BL key is a far better reward than a skin which you are only ever going to want to get 3 times for altaholics. I’ve already completed this story with 3 toons, and I plan on running my other 3 level 80s through it. Something I won’t be doing with last episode, despite it being a bit more enjoyable imo. And as if not being able to get a single armour skin is going to cause you to quit the game… Surely noones that shallow…

There is a distinct lack of skins in this game that are not either dead easy to get, or involve spending a ton of gold/irl money to grab off the TP/gem store. They’ve finally added something to the game that people who enjoy a gear grind can get and show off without adding a power creep and suddenly it’s the worst thing in the world. Honestly… Anet can’t win either way.

At the end of the day this section of the LS will add 2 armour sets. One is dead easy to get, the other takes a bit of time playing the content that’s come with it. That seems like a pretty kitten good compromise to me.

in Living World

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

I guess chances for an official statement from ArenaNet are near to zero by now… which is quite cowardly in my opinion… but well, not everyone has the guts to explain themself and we are sadly used to that.

It’s like they don’t know that there “may” be players who work most time of the day + have tasks to do in their household. I only get to play about 2 hours a day and at a pretty late time when the majority of players are already asleep. Defending a fort with only 2, max 4 players is nearly impossible… they could at least scale the events better.

btw. I easily made 1000k crests in the last update because I didn’t had to work for one week and I image the event rewards were much higher (also the chest thingy). But now I only got… about 200-300 crests so far.

Some of my friends are back to call this game “Grind Wars 2” and I might join them if ArenaNet continues to ignore this topic. We are already at 100 comments without ANY reply…

in Living World

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

If you want an armor set to “work” for, Luminescent is right there. There’s no need to add grind to Carapace too, especially when the old way worked just fine (and in a rare move by Anet, didn’t screw over people with alts) and still gave you the option to grind for it if you preferred.

in Living World

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

A small update from “the original poster”, just to illustrate how I am progressing at finishing up the collection without being able to re-do the story parts:

I am around 300 crests short of getting the third armour box (which is around 2 meta event cycles) and I have not bought any extra lock picks since Tuesday (so all my crests went into the glove acquisition). At my possible gaming times and play style, this translates into around 5 days to get one armour part set. For a time frame of two weeks, that’s about 1/3 dedicated to get the stuff done.
Is it that bad? No. Would I have preferred to get it via the story – yes.

PS: if chapters 7 & 8 will indeed give you two armour parts each, the “grind” for the collection will increase to 2/3 or the total length of the patch, which is an uncomfortable thought to me.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

in Living World

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

This is awful. I was actually looking forward to collecting all the armor pieces, but this “grind for the armor” is unbelievable. Please re-think this Anet.

in Living World

Posted by: Arrelaine.5692

Arrelaine.5692

I wish I had read the forums before doing this again on an alt, I wouldn’t have replayed it. I’m so disappointed, this pretty much kills the rest of the LS content for me. I’ve been playing rarely as is, only coming back long enough to do the new LS and get the other armor on alts.

in Living World

Posted by: xBuffx.2964

xBuffx.2964

wow why are there so many people complaining about not getting another glove box after doing story on another character? like most i was dissapointed about that to but it didn’t stop me from grinding my way to get the lum gloves, which i finished getting yesterday. it’s not that hard, just do the events in sw and some luck in the lab with the greater nightmare box and you can get it in less than a day. hell i got luck and grinding enough crests to buy one box and when i got around 700 more crests i got lucky in the lab and got my last glove box from the chest.

in Living World

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

A small update from “the original poster”, just to illustrate how I am progressing at finishing up the collection without being able to re-do the story parts:

I am around 300 crests short of getting the third armour box (which is around 2 meta event cycles) and I have not bought any extra lock picks since Tuesday (so all my crests went into the glove acquisition). At my possible gaming times and play style, this translates into around 5 days to get one armour part set. For a time frame of two weeks, that’s about 1/3 dedicated to get the stuff done.
Is it that bad? No. Would I have preferred to get it via the story – yes.

PS: if chapters 7 & 8 will indeed give you two armour parts each, the “grind” for the collection will increase to 2/3 or the total length of the patch, which is an uncomfortable thought to me.

The bandit crest cost of two pieces may not be double the cost of one if we use the following equivalencies:

One LW chapter completion =
One Armor reward (1 or 2 pieces)=
1000 crests

As well, I would hesitate to spend crests on the gloves at this point. I imagine the cost will not change after chapters 7-8 are released, gloves will still drop from the Greater Nightmare Pod, and the next armor pieces may be included in the drop schedule for the Greater Nightmare Pod so we will still be opening it and possibly getting gloves right through chapter 8.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

in Living World

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

I’m at the point I*m only missing the two other gloves for completion. And I’m hesitant too to spend my 2000 crests, instead waiting if by some stroke of luck I’ll get them from the big nightmare chest, but it doesn’t seem to be happening. I had lots of crests leftover from last chapter (over 1000), and if the grind is the same for next chapter as well, I won’t be able to stomach starting from scratch.

We’ll see if the system evolves, I might even wait until next release before I spend any crests.

(edited by Traveller.7496)

in Living World

Jimmy JimBob.2801

If you want an armor set to “work” for, Luminescent is right there. There’s no need to add grind to Carapace too, especially when the old way worked just fine (and in a rare move by Anet, didn’t screw over people with alts) and still gave you the option to grind for it if you preferred.

Yes, I hadn’t considered the impact on those who just want the Carapace skin on their alts of other armour types. For those people it is a shame but I still agree with the change in general.

I haven’t had much time to actually play the new patch besides doing the story achievements, but today I played SW for one cycle. Got into a good map using the lfg tool and picked up a little over 200 badges and got 2 Greater Keys (one from lesser vines and one from completing the breach). So from that (very small sample size) it’s about 10 hours work to get all 3 carapace skins provided you don’t get lucky from the chest… for most players its very achievable. If you can play for less than an hour a day on average for the duration its easy – the only issue is for those who don’t enjoy the map. But then they’re map specific skins so what do you expect?

I still maintain that the BL key remains a better reward for altaholics as well.

in Living World

Posted by: tevoro.1587

tevoro.1587

Same points everyone else has been making, Anet said grind is bad, this is grind, I’m only a couple rounds short of getting my third box, etc. etc. I’m so tired of SW now that I don’t know if I can possibly do the events again for 7&8, let alone 4k crests. Gaile, I place good money you’re reading this thread, please take it to the next meeting that they need to add the armor back to the story, this is mind-numbingly boring, it stopped being fun several hours of grind ago.

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Same points everyone else has been making, Anet said grind is bad, this is grind, I’m only a couple rounds short of getting my third box, etc. etc. I’m so tired of SW now that I don’t know if I can possibly do the events again for 7&8, let alone 4k crests. Gaile, I place good money you’re reading this thread, please take it to the next meeting that they need to add the armor back to the story, this is mind-numbingly boring, it stopped being fun several hours of grind ago.

More along the lines of 8-10K crests depending on whether we get the freebies for both of the new armor pieces (2 each) introduced in 7 & 8.

As well, I would hesitate to spend crests on the gloves at this point. I imagine the cost will not change after chapters 7-8 are released, gloves will still drop from the Greater Nightmare Pod, and the next armor pieces may be included in the drop schedule for the Greater Nightmare Pod so we will still be opening it and possibly getting gloves right through chapter 8.

Pretty much why I’m just banking my crests rather than spending them.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

in Living World

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Yep, I’m in the same boat. I have crests coming out of my ears, but I just know that as soon as I spend them on glove boxes, they’ll start dropping for me. I can’t seem to get lucky with fang extraction either, so I’m in no hurry yet to get the other two gloves anyway.

in Living World

Jimmy JimBob.2801

If you’re not desperate to get the individual pieces before the full set is out then saving up in the event of a drop is definitely a good call.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yep, I’m in the same boat. I have crests coming out of my ears, but I just know that as soon as I spend them on glove boxes, they’ll start dropping for me. I can’t seem to get lucky with fang extraction either, so I’m in no hurry yet to get the other two gloves anyway.

I’d spend the Crests. While the Glove chests CAN drop from Lost Bandit Chests and the Greater Nightmare Pod, the drop rate is low enough that it feels as rare as getting an Exotic drop. If more Glove chests drop for you, you can always salvage them for Ectos.

I bought one Glove chest over the weekend. That brings me to 2/3. I should have the third by the end of this week by doing PvP.

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I’d spend the Crests. While the Glove chests CAN drop from Lost Bandit Chests and the Greater Nightmare Pod, the drop rate is low enough that it feels as rare as getting an Exotic drop. If more Glove chests drop for you, you can always salvage them for Ectos.

I bought one Glove chest over the weekend. That brings me to 2/3. I should have the third by the end of this week by doing PvP.

Better to save them if you’re in no rush. You wouldn’t want to spend the crests on the gloves and then get a chest while farming for more. We have four armor pieces being introduced to us over the next two updates. You can be certain that it’ll require much more farming.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’ve found that Crests drop thick and fast now if you’re doing them “the right way”. Even after buying that extra Glove chest, I’m almost back up to another spare 1000 Crests.

in Living World

Posted by: Kesvalk.1674

Kesvalk.1674

with every new update i find myself less eager to play this game, echoes was such a step forward in the right direction, then come this update, the same kittenty bosses that plagued the rest of LS season 2 comes back, uninteresting quests and now this.

i feel like a lab rat with Anet experimenting on me to see how much they can get away with it before i give up.

in Living World

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

For some reason i can’t make a thread so i am just going to post here saying. Why is light version of lumi glove buggy for human female?.. their are graphical glitch when its worn. I mean i know its probably intended and all since anet hates human female.

in Living World

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

Can we please get a response on this?
Why was it changed?
Will this change continue with further LS updates for other armor pieces?

Since at this point I can’t spend ANY Bandit Crests, all because I need to hoard them all for skin unlocks, rather than enjoy other things available at the merchant. Makes it far more less fun to experience the new area when you cannot let yourself spend any crests…

in Living World

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

Should have known a benefit from having alts wasn’t intended. Sigh.

in Living World

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Better to save them if you’re in no rush. You wouldn’t want to spend the crests on the gloves and then get a chest while farming for more. We have four armor pieces being introduced to us over the next two updates. You can be certain that it’ll require much more farming.

I did actually get a glove box just now. Yay! Saved 1,000 crests!