No more server based events

in Living World

Posted by: The Art of Killing.8643

The Art of Killing.8643

Since my last post was removed due to caps lock :X here it is again with small letters.

Stop putting server wide events fro living story and bosses please. I am stack with not able to complete my achievements because server wide events need the whole server and skill of all to be completed.

As a result guilds are being made that kick people that are bringing their friends in their overflows and switch to different servers if random people are present. I have been struggling to successfully complete the Tequatl and Wurm and Marrionette events because it a server wide event and all the above apply.

There are many people like me that cant complete their achievements because they are depending on other more often unskilled people to successfully complete it or need an insanely large amount of people to participate. Needless to say that there are people that their game-play time is limited due to real life stuff and cant do that even when a world organizes it.

Please stop putting such events as the only thing that this earns is hatred to the community, rage to other people and many more.

Can you please from now on just produce events into an Instance? I prefer spending hours in such instances with lfg random people and explain it than raging because a server fails or there are unskilled people.

Thank you

P.s. yes i like to get all my achievement points

in Living World

Posted by: Stephen McBeaven.5640

Stephen McBeaven.5640

Are all the replies really gone because of a caps lock issue? Does anyone know if there is a way to retrieve that conversation somehow? I assume not, and it’s a little frustrating, especially when the content of the discussion wasn’t the issue…

I guess I’ll just sum up what I tried to convey on some lost replies. Basically, I find OP misses the whole idea of achievements, and it is unfair for OP to go beyond asking for the addition of content OP likes, and actually request the removal/discontinuation of content OP doesn’t like.

If I understand correctly, the makers of gw and gw2 have always given weight to the notion that good stats on gear should not require completing difficult content. To my thinking, titles and achievements are a way of tempering this. Since they don’t significantly alter a character’s stats, titles and achievements are something that CAN be awarded for completing difficult content, without upsetting all those people who think they are entitled to the best gear regardless of what they do in the game. OP is going one step further than these people and suggesting that even achievements should be accessible to all. Frankly, this is terrible and detracts from the whole idea of what an achievement is. Next thing you know, we’ll have people insisting they should be able to get pvp and wvw titles without doing pvp and wvw!

What OP and many others need to swallow is the fact that they are not entitled to getting all achievements. I “like” to get all my achievement points too, but if I am unwilling or unable to do the content that is required to earn them, tough luck!

in Living World

Posted by: Paffus Piffus.9430

Paffus Piffus.9430

This is a very skill based game. If you or your server lack the skill or co-operation to obtain specific achievements then you don’t deserve them. It’s as simple as that.

in Living World

Posted by: ekimsfree.9406

ekimsfree.9406

You do realize you are asking an MMO to cater to what YOU want and what YOU prefer and ignoring the fact that many people enjoy these events and GW’s selling point was an open world MMO with dynamic events which would take the effort of many players to achieve a goal.

They are plenty of single player games that are made just for you, you’ll be the star.

in Living World

Posted by: Szamsziel.5627

Szamsziel.5627

I’m happy with events as is, but…
Please do make achievements personal, not depending of the items you have no influence on. Like on Marionette dodging achievements – you can dodge as you wish but unless all circles succeeded – you will get no achieves. Triple Treat is an example of “bad achievement”. Heirloom – is perfect one, fulfilling events (Tequatl Slayer) is also ok because you are part of such task and can help whenever necessary. But Wurm’s Bane… It is nice, but you can only do your part with one wurm, and then hope that others did their job well.

in Living World

Posted by: Teratus.2859

Teratus.2859

I’m happy with events as is, but…
Please do make achievements personal, not depending of the items you have no influence on. Like on Marionette dodging achievements – you can dodge as you wish but unless all circles succeeded – you will get no achieves. Triple Treat is an example of “bad achievement”. Heirloom – is perfect one, fulfilling events (Tequatl Slayer) is also ok because you are part of such task and can help whenever necessary. But Wurm’s Bane… It is nice, but you can only do your part with one wurm, and then hope that others did their job well.

I can completely relate to this
as someone who commits time into achievement hunting I personally find these sorts of achievements to be utterly unfair

Why should my achievements be gimpped because a few people failed to complete their half of the achievement

it’s not fair on those of us who put that kind of effort in

team based events are fine hell I love them but don’t let other players dictate whether I earn my achievements or not.. that’s just cruel

It only takes one noob or just bad player to screw up and cost everyone else their achievement which then only leads to a barrage of abuse in the map chat which only makes that player feel bad

it’s not fair for anyone

in Living World

Stephen McBeaven.5640

Why should my achievements be gimpped because a few people failed to complete their half of the achievement

This is no different than the complaint that students have about group projects, only in that case participation is usually required and the argument might actually hold water. Here, it’s not required. If you don’t believe there is any merit to group activities, then don’t participate.

it’s not fair on those of us who put that kind of effort in

Have you considered that maybe your “effort” is not exerted in the way it needs to be? The task is for the GROUP to succeed. There is no individual success if the group fails, and that’s intentional. If you can’t teach or motivate the other players to succeed, you are also failing, not just them.

team based events are fine hell I love them but don’t let other players dictate whether I earn my achievements or not.. that’s just cruel

Don’t you realize how contradictory this is? If the other players can’t affect the outcome, then it’s not a team based event.

in Living World

Teratus.2859

This is no different than the complaint that students have about group projects, only in that case participation is usually required and the argument might actually hold water. Here, it’s not required. If you don’t believe there is any merit to group activities, then don’t participate.

You completely missed the point
a group project may fail if one person fails to complete his part fo the work but that does not stop others from being credited for their work..
We are not talking about groups failing to take down a boss here we are talking about how our personal achievements are being denied because of other people screwing up

Have you considered that maybe your “effort” is not exerted in the way it needs to be? The task is for the GROUP to succeed. There is no individual success if the group fails, and that’s intentional. If you can’t teach or motivate the other players to succeed, you are also failing, not just them.

I will gladly use the Marionette boss here since it required several groups of people in several seperate rings attacking several champion bosses
and I can assure you that my ring always succeeded in taking down our boss
when I participate in boss events I take note of what my role is and I do my best to forfill it and for the most part I succeed since I am experienced with Gw2 and my playestyle
I can throw a few examples at you like on multiple occasions I have soloed Champion and even a legendary class bosses after my team has been slaughtered
You are talking about how a group needs to succeed in events where there are multiple groups that all need to succeed for everyone to earn achievements
that is entirely different from standard group based content like dungeons

And don’t even talk to me about teaching people
do you have any idea how irritating beyond words it is spending almost half an hour typing into the mapchat what everyone has to do only to have most of the people in the event completely ignore EVERYTHING!! you said and just stand there like idiots..
on the European servers we have a bigger problem in that a crapton of people play on the English servers and they don’t even speak English.. I cannot express enough how much this irritates us

Example
Second phase Marionette Boss, Lure the Champion into it’s own mines to stun him and make him open to damage.
4/5 rings complete, 4 people in final ring, everyone on the map shouting LURE IT INTO ITS OWN MINES!!!! sometimes in upto 4 languages, end result 4 people running in a circle around the outside of the ring completely clueless to what they need to do..
when this happens to you several times a day on the same boss while trying to get achievements it makes you soo angry you want to break stuff

why should I have to loose my achievements because of people like that..
its unfair and it is beyond frustrating

Don’t you realize how contradictory this is? If the other players can’t affect the outcome, then it’s not a team based event.

We are not talking about the outcome here we are talking about personal Achievements

Dodge the Marionette’s sword attack, ok fine easy

What it really is though is Dodge the Marionette’s Sword attack, defeat the Champion Mob, Destroy the control device, then stand around and wait for everyone else in the other rings to do the same
if one group fails you don’t get the achievement even though you completed all of the requirements you needed to earn it
that is what we are annoyed about here

in Living World

Stephen McBeaven.5640

Teratus, thanks for clarifying. I see what you’re saying and I agree it can be frustrating. Still, I think it’s okay and fair for GW2 to give us some achievements that require a large group succeeding, and I also think it’s fair for some achievements to have a heavy luck component. The situations you are describing, where a large group of players must succeed, illustrate your point well that it is impractical (if not impossible) to fully organize the success of the achievement. Even so, I guess I just think that’s okay and only amounts to kind of difficulty. Personally, I WANT there to be content (including achievements) that is too difficult for me. I think there are a lot of people who would agree that that is a good or even vital thing in a game.

Would you be happier if achievements that required large-scale player coordination were listed separately in the achievements panel? That might not be such a bad idea since it would allow you to feel like you have personally achieved all of the solo (or all of the solo and small group) achievements. I would also be fine with this arrangement. What I’m NOT fine with is insisting that such content (including achievements associated with it) shouldn’t exist at all, since many people enjoy doing it (as well as getting the difficult or luck-heavy achievements associated with it).

in Living World

Posted by: Szamsziel.5627

Szamsziel.5627

If there is a student group work and one person is causing problems you can at least help (in extreme situation do the work by yourself) and then never join the group the leacher is. You do not have that comfort in gw2. That’s why Tequatl slayer is fine (you can assist whenever situation requires. If you have absolutely no power do do anything – it is bad.
Achievements are personal. Achieves should be granted basing on you effort. In group or personal. Not based of what any other person for on the opposite side of map.

in Living World

Teratus.2859

Teratus, thanks for clarifying. I see what you’re saying and I agree it can be frustrating. Still, I think it’s okay and fair for GW2 to give us some achievements that require a large group succeeding, and I also think it’s fair for some achievements to have a heavy luck component. The situations you are describing, where a large group of players must succeed, illustrate your point well that it is impractical (if not impossible) to fully organize the success of the achievement. Even so, I guess I just think that’s okay and only amounts to kind of difficulty. Personally, I WANT there to be content (including achievements) that is too difficult for me. I think there are a lot of people who would agree that that is a good or even vital thing in a game.

Would you be happier if achievements that required large-scale player coordination were listed separately in the achievements panel? That might not be such a bad idea since it would allow you to feel like you have personally achieved all of the solo (or all of the solo and small group) achievements. I would also be fine with this arrangement. What I’m NOT fine with is insisting that such content (including achievements associated with it) shouldn’t exist at all, since many people enjoy doing it (as well as getting the difficult or luck-heavy achievements associated with it).

I don’t mind Achievements being group related in a way like for example I am completely ok with achievements like defeating the three headed wurm which does require a big team based attack

I use the Marionette as an example for two reason

one is because of how it seperates your lane into 5 different groups that you have no control over and all all 5 of those groups must complete the events for everyone to get their achievement despite the achievement only being dodge the Marionette’s lightning or sword attack
I would expect simply dodging the attack once or dodging the attack over and over until your ring completes it’s tasks as sufficiant enough for your to earn your achievement

the second reason I choose the Marionette was because it was temporary content that is no longer playable
for someone like me who really enjoyed the boss and who didnt manage to complete all of the achievements it does make you disappointed when you miss out like that..

I did get the Meta thanks to the daily contribution but I would have liked to get all of the additional achievements as well

for the short time It was around I really enjoyed the Marionette boss
I just wish that my acheivements were not linked to the actions of such a uncontrollable situation as people being split into several groups that cannot be decided by the player