Not enough traversability on Bitterfrost

in Living World

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

Bitterfrost Frontier has a traversal issue. There are too few waypoints and not enough other means for getting around. The leyline track is limited and hard to access (for some reason the updrafts under it don’t go high enough to let you link in) and the tube network doesn’t do a good job connecting the whole map (the entire right side is basically segmented off), and also neither of them is accessed particularly accessible from either waypoint.

Bloodstone Fen and Ember Bay were both very easy to traverse, with easy routes around the map and well spread out Waypoints, so you could come in where you wanted. The relatively low number of waypoints was not a major issue, because everything could be reached fairly easily. Bitterfrost Frontier, however, is hard to get around, in particular as the left and right sides of the map are almost completely isolated from each other. Neither leyline gliding nor tube travel provides an adequate transit system. I wouldn’t be surprised if, outside of people doing the story, right side side of the map rapidly becomes underpopulated, with most sticking to the still inconvenient but relatively more traversable left side for their dailies.

Travel needs to be fixed on the map. More waypoints, more tubes, and/or more leylines to bring it all together. We need to be able to get around, one way or the other, or the map will fall out of favor.

in Living World

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

Agreed. I’d honestly there just be more waypoints though. Definitely somekind of contestable waypoint in the hot springs and one in the woods. They’re my two favorite areas but they’re kind of isolated.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Definitely needs more waypoints around the place. I was like, WTF, only TWO waypoints? You’ve GOT to be kidding me. I thought there would be maybe 4 or 5. To cover some of the corners of the map, but nope. >_<

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in Living World

Boogiepop Void.6473

It doesn’t need to be waypoints if there are alternate methods, such as we saw on Bloostone Fen and Ember Bay. But right now there what little there is seems haphazardly thrown in with no real system or pattern to it, and just doesn’t do the job. Several spots literally look like they were done incorrectly, such as the updrafts under the center layline track that don’t actually reach it.

And just to add insult to injury, apparently if you exit the game or lose connection, you get shunted back to the entrance regardless of where you were.

(edited by Boogiepop Void.6473)

in Living World

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

If you got the central waypoint you can literally reach every corner of the map within a minute…no idea how that needs more waypoints.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

We have thermal tubes, leyline gliding, waypoints and all on a half-sized map. Getting around felt easier than ever to me. Certainly 10x easier than Silverwastes is to traverse.

in Living World

Boogiepop Void.6473

We have thermal tubes, leyline gliding, waypoints and all on a half-sized map. Getting around felt easier than ever to me. Certainly 10x easier than Silverwastes is to traverse.

The thermal tubes only cover half the map and the leyine track covers the exact same area and is hard to get to due to the updrafts being the wrong height. The right side of the map is completely cut off from the rest.

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Yeah the map definitely needs more waypoints. It also would help to have more thermal tubes moving to important locations like Ember Bay did.

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The thermal tubes only cover half the map and the leyine track covers the exact same area and is hard to get to due to the updrafts being the wrong height. The right side of the map is completely cut off from the rest.

I am looking at the map and tubes are covering enough of the map not to be an issue – the right side is def not cut off. The Bitter Cold is within walking distance from tube and the Hot Spring has 3 tubes, which form part of a mini unofficial jumping puzzle and thus shouldn’t have waypoints at all.

If they covered any more, then we’d never need to walk at all. This is hostile territory, it would make no sense to have loads of waypoint technology here and is meant to convey a sense of danger and threat. It’s already easy to navigate with the resources they provide, any more would just trivialise the map.

in Living World

Posted by: Henry.5906

Henry.5906

Waypoint kill the immersion, now we have gliding and new masteries way of travel. Or just walk run enjoy the landscape.

in Living World

Posted by: Vadeil.3924

Vadeil.3924

you could also get the vantage point from the black lions chest update. It gives easy access to the leyline.

in Living World

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

you could also get the vantage point from the black lions chest update. It gives easy access to the leyline.

What is the point of that?

@Henry I agree that traditional WP do kill the immersion a little bit. But if they were switched to the WP that you can see in Cursed Shore (where they were built there by the Pact, when they are “contested” they are shown destroyed on the ground) it would be better because it would make it look more like we are just discovering the hostile area. Still not a big problem though.

I don’t think the map is that hard to navigate really. I feel that it will eventually get a bit annoying to have to redo the elixir everyday, but the actual navigability of the map seems fine. Its fairly small, and one of its WP is in the middle of the map, within gliding distance of several thermal tubes

in Living World

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Where is that horse!?

Oh well…. starts beating a random dead animal…..

Game needs mounts rather it did need mounts but mounts weren’t hurt anything right now a ton of time and energy was invested into movement mechanics from 25% movement in the forms of traits, skills, and runes, to swiftness, shrooms, and gliding mechanics how many different type of movement mechanics are they going to implement when all they even needed was mounts both land and flying for HoT content. If it’s not broken why fix it currently we have a map with dead zones because Anets been over-complicating things trying to replace mounts. For the record I’d like a Chak mount and I’d pay cash if the direction of the game went back to something I agree with as I haven’t spent a penny since HoT went live and I used to buy things like the aviator box/tools/etc.. pre HoT too.

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

While it was annoying to have to repeatedly run back from the central waypoint each time I failed on the Abomination, I do agree that it doesn’t take too terribly long to get anywhere from it.

I do see a problem in that both wps can be contested at the same time (contested at all is bad, in fact, when there are only two options in the first place). I discovered this when I wanted to depart the svanir village and had to wade through mobs due to neither wp being available.

in Living World

Posted by: Vadeil.3924

Vadeil.3924

What is the point of that?

convenience that’s it.

in Living World

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

While it was annoying to have to repeatedly run back from the central waypoint each time I failed on the Abomination, I do agree that it doesn’t take too terribly long to get anywhere from it.

I do see a problem in that both wps can be contested at the same time (contested at all is bad, in fact, when there are only two options in the first place). I discovered this when I wanted to depart the svanir village and had to wade through mobs due to neither wp being available.

This is actually a problem. The middle waypoint should never be contested imo. For one, we should never have a map where all of the WP can be contested at the same time. What do you do if you want to get to the map, or if you died? WP out of the map? That’s not a good solution. I think if the middle waypoint is moved up onto the sanctuary proper so it can’t be contested this would solve all of the problems. That way you can always WP to within gliding distance of several thermal tubes

in Living World

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

Eh, I feel like it’s fine. I’ll admit, I got annoyed a few times at the mushroom glade when I died from events, but that was on me. I actually really like the torch sprint for just zooming through stuff.

in Living World

Posted by: Fenom.9457

Fenom.9457

not as great as most maps, but I don’t have a problem with it.

Want to read about a nice mini expansion to make Mordremoth and Zhaitan better?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mini-Expansion-Vengeance/first#post6473305