One-week break between Living Story chapters

in Living World

Posted by: Flumburken.6217

Flumburken.6217

This may fall to deaf ears, but I’ll just say it anyway.

Isn’t it a good idea to give players at least a week between the Living Story Updates to properly PLAY THE ACTUAL game? Such as completing other achievments, leveling up their characters without stress and whatnot.

I can’t do other stuff anymore in the game becuase I get too stressed out completing the LS achievments on my precious spare time that I have to actually enjoy the game, rather than being a chore.

Thank you.

in Living World

Posted by: Death.7564

Death.7564

I agree. Since the start of the queens jubilee i have been unable to do anything other than farm champions and Living story achievements. The spacing between Invasions is around 15 mins apart, by the time you sell all your champion loot, you go right back into it. Much like the Gauntlet farm the event is to profitable to not do. I have not ran a dungeon in over a month and have made over 300g. Granted i could have made much much more, but at a certain point grinding deadeye and champions turns into a chore and i just don’t want to play. Take an additional week to iron out some of the flaws in the LS content, and let people get back to WVW, pvp, and other areas that are neglected during the onslaught of temporary content.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

So… the issue seems to be that you farm the event because it is profitable? So what you basically want is to slow down the game for those of use who likes the story simply because you can’t control yourself enough to not spend all your time farming the same stuff over and over and over and over and over again?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: slaney.4250

slaney.4250

I agree, a break between living story chapters would be great….the rest of the game is really suffering because everyone is farming the events. Don’t get me wrong, I love the loot and gold I am making but I do want to play and enjoy other aspects of the game too.

in Living World

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Yes, I agree too.

It will also remind players what (random yo to avoid kitten) its like not to have a living story and they may then appreciate the living stories, instead of complaining about the smallest of things. Plus avoid living story burnout…

They (Anet) could use that week to polish the living story instalment and strengthen the story side of it, lets face it the story can be quite weak at times…

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

in Living World

Posted by: prenavo.3926

prenavo.3926

I play mmo’s pretty much all the time. I can afford the time to do so as I’m a stay at home dad and with the kids in school, it’s even easier to get lost in my favorite worlds. That said though, I’m also not the fastest player. I’ve been playing since launch with a three month break in there somewhere and I just today got map completion.
I didn’t do the Queens Gauntlet achievements. I’ve done all of the Queens speech and all of the Jubilee and of course the oddball one with only like six achievements in it. I started the Jubilee achievements the day of the patch and played for about eight hours off and on that day. I completed all of them. If you played just 2-3 hours a day you’d have all of those achievements in just a couple days. Maybe sooner if your really fast. After that, I just went on and leveled an alt until the next patch came out. The current one was a little harder as some of the achievements require you to be in the right place at the right time, but it’s not impossible. It’s finished two days after it started and now I’m just waiting another whole week with nothing but free time until the next installment. It’s not that hard to get those meta achievements. If I get bored I may try to get some of the Gauntlet ones.

in Living World

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I do kinda wish the pace was a patch every 3 weeks instead of 2. That way we have an extra week with each patch. That gives us some down time, if we’ve finished everything, or an extra week of trying to do the content/achievements, or farming whatever (stuff like MF and AR).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I love the living story, but we do need a week break. I log in almost every day, yet I do not get to just mess around and do whatever because the living story requires I do things or my dailys requires I do things,

I do not think it will harm progress to have a single week break between living story arcs. If anything it should give the team more time to relax and prepare.

Since the two week schedule I have not really felt relaxed in the game because I constantly have things to do with a strict deadline imposed.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Living World

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

I find myself thinking I agree with this, as I’m trying to level up a new guy but every time I log on him I’m stuck thinking “I should really be doing those invasions for cash right now..” I’d do them on my new character if he had all the maps they were in / was upleveled to appropriate levels, but I’m missing out on too much stuff by playing him. Same has happened in the past with other events “Ooh, the Bazaar of Four Winds is only limited time” but that wasn’t so bad since my lowbie could participate in that stuff, only bad thing was I wanted it all done on my main for continuity reasons.

I’m aware this seems like a first world problem complaint too “There’s too much content I can’t do it all at once!” but I’d rather have a choice, not feel forced into the new stuff.

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The point of the living story isn’t for every player to do everything each fortnight. The point of the living story is to have something fresh for players to do each time they log on. A weeks break in the living story does not achieve that. If you’re trying to do everything in each living story arc then it is up to you to check that your time commitments can support that, it’s not the responsibility of the game designers.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The LS is not a must. If you feel too stressed about a release, just don’t do it. You don’t have to farm you know. I almost never do.

It’s not a “must”, no. Just as doing dungeons or Fractals or WvW is not a “must”. But the Living Story is the best source of AP’s and gold. I’m not a hardcore farmer, and I don’t bother farming the Aetherblade Champions during the Invasions, but even just doing the 13 zones for the Invasion Canceler achievement netted me in the vicinity of 30 – 40 gold. When you consider that there are players who are attending every single one of these events, earning anywhere from 1 – 5 gold each time, you can begin to understand why there’s a feeling that you “have to keep up, or I’ll be left behind”. The same goes for players who like to climb the AP ladders.

ANet could alleviate this feeling by slowing down the frequency of the invasions (perhaps to every 3 hours instead of every hour), and by slowing down the pace of the LS releases to once a month.

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

You don’t have to keep up with the players who put more time into the game than you. Keep your real life as top priority and limit your game time as you see fit. Make realistic goals for the time you can put in. Keeping up with hardcore players is not a realistic goal, and rather pointless when the only hard to get items are cosmetic.

in Living World

Posted by: Piecekeeper.4361

Piecekeeper.4361

I disagree.

Yes, it’s true I’ve had a hard time doing no LS stuff this month, this has been the most intensive and invasive living story yet, and I doubt future ones will be the same, at least not every time. Every other living story arc has given me more than enough time to do other things.

Just enjoy the ride and wait another week. I’m sure everything will go back to the way it was a month ago.

in Living World

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

I would agree with needing a break, or at least having some LS that isn’t centered around having everyone cluster to a single map all the time.

Since the Jubilee started, I have 3 different zones hovering on the edge of map completion, that I can’t finish because there’s Champions sitting on every last thing I need, and the zones are empty. No one’s been doing much besides zerging around the pavilion, and now chasing Scarlet around

in Living World

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

I really wish they’d go back to the pace of the Flame and Frost LS, it did start a bit slow to be sure but it was around long enough that you could immerse yourself in it without feeling rushed. It also let them more fully flesh out the narrative.

What’s more is that it meant you could still enjoy the base game. You could take some time do the current living story stuff and then go about your merry way and enjoy whatever else you might like to do. Level a new character, get in on some PvP, go run a dungeon with the guildies. With the current pace of LS content it’s hard to find time to do anything else, and with everyone clustered in a few maps doing nothing but zerg farming it’s rather difficult to do much else outside of the LS content since every zone that’s not being invaded is an absolute ghost town.

This evening I went to try and finish out my QJ achievements only to find that the pavilion was now closed down on account of the new content. So I decide to just go hit up the last balloon towers I need, and Ascalon was the place to do it. I walked from the Black Citadel through every zone except Fireheart Rise and I encountered a grand total of eight other players in my journey.

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I think the real problem is that a lot of the Living Story content is a) temporary and b) full of filler content. Running around the world to press f a thousand times isn’t content. It takes a lot of time, but it’s not content. Doing existing jumping puzzles with nothing new but a token location you have to reach (and normally would in the process of that puzzle) is filler and uneccessary. I could understand if there was a new element added to puzzles or dungeons, but they are just filler. The mini game achievements are nonsense. The Southsun Survivor high score one was absolutely silly. It was just a grind achievement – and the worst part is it was removed from the permanent rotating version. You had to complete it within the two weeks of the game being around, which is just silly.

If they removed a lot of the filler content and had a lot more permanent content the Living Story would be a lot more manageable for people. Take this current content for example. If it’s necessary for people to stop an invasion on 13 different maps, why is it necessary for people to do it in these two weeks? If the invasions are sticking around (but less frequently) why not allow them to finish the achievements any time?

in Living World

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

They need to move the type of content the living story delivers back to the way F&F was done. Most of the stuff we had for the last months was directed farming or instanced games, the only saving grace being the speed of the updates. F&F was better content it was just too slow. Going back to the F&F style of content that felt more part of the actual zone but with faster updates like we’re getting used to would be the best of both worlds.

in Living World

Posted by: citypigeon.6358

citypigeon.6358

I really like this idea.

I do love the Living Story because I enjoy having something new added on a regular basis and seeing the lore grow bit by bit.

But the rate of these releases is definitely taking a toll on the rest of the game’s social game play. Because people are hooked to the LS achievements, and it does take most people atleast a week to complete them.

As a result, there are less people playing around the world.. There are less people fighting in Orr. Less people in pvp. Less people you come across when running around a zone and less people who’d be around to help you in a DE- this is VERY detrimental to new players!

IGN: zestalyn
zestalyn.tumblr

in Living World

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I love the living story, but we do need a week break. I log in almost every day, yet I do not get to just mess around and do whatever because the living story requires I do things or my dailys requires I do things,

I do not think it will harm progress to have a single week break between living story arcs. If anything it should give the team more time to relax and prepare.

Since the two week schedule I have not really felt relaxed in the game because I constantly have things to do with a strict deadline imposed.

My feelings as well. Dialies and LS take up all my time. I never really get to attempt more map completions, finish the PS, etc.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Living World

Posted by: Rico.8574

Rico.8574

I have the same feeling. I also love the LS, but I can’t seem to do anything but the LS content.
I’ve been stuck at 75% world completion for the last 3 months. And there are also loads of other things I’d like to do in GW2, like all JP, mastering other Crafting Disciplines, completing all dungeon paths, etc.

But with my current work/study schedule plus the regular 2-week releases I can’t do everything. To top it all, I also play other PC and console games, and I have a huge backlog waiting to be played =(

[/FirstWorldProblems]

in Living World

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

This may fall to deaf ears, but I’ll just say it anyway.

Isn’t it a good idea to give players at least a week between the Living Story Updates to properly PLAY THE ACTUAL game? Such as completing other achievments, leveling up their characters without stress and whatnot.

I can’t do other stuff anymore in the game becuase I get too stressed out completing the LS achievments on my precious spare time that I have to actually enjoy the game, rather than being a chore.

Thank you.

I agree, we need a break from living stories T_T

Are you Shpongled?

in Living World

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

Yes to all of this.

I’ve been wanting to make a new alt, do WvW, map completion, JP achievements, etc. There is a lot of the core game I haven’t done and want to do, but I just don’t have the time with the frequency of the LS updates and lately the amount of content in them.

Coupled with the fact that it’s all temporary I’m faced with the choice of, do I play the core game that is theoretically always going to be there or do I do LS because I’m only going to have 2-4 weeks to do it? I’m sure you can guess which one ends up winning and the rest ends up indefinitely pushed aside.

I definitely feel like I need a breather.

in Living World

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

I agree. Since the start of the queens jubilee i have been unable to do anything other than farm champions and Living story achievements. The spacing between Invasions is around 15 mins apart, by the time you sell all your champion loot, you go right back into it. Much like the Gauntlet farm the event is to profitable to not do. I have not ran a dungeon in over a month and have made over 300g. Granted i could have made much much more, but at a certain point grinding deadeye and champions turns into a chore and i just don’t want to play. Take an additional week to iron out some of the flaws in the LS content, and let people get back to WVW, pvp, and other areas that are neglected during the onslaught of temporary content.

Why not just stop farming then? There’s more to this game than just gold ya know.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB