Out of the Shadows feedback [spoilers]

in Living World

Posted by: Changer the Elder.2948

Changer the Elder.2948

Okay, rather than founding a topic on partial petty niggles, I thought it may be nice to consolidate.

So first of all: the new fractal is a beast and it melds together all the elements awesomely. The mechanics, the map, the intriguing story; all of that set up the first treat of this patch update. Kudos on all fronts.

Second: The music. It keeps being absolutely on point. I didn’t really expect to hear anything new, but the willingness and talent of your audio team are just awesome. I hope the tracks will be released through some means, be it Soundcloud or an actual soundtrack purchase.

Third: New charr VA. It’s better than I feared, but it still needs some bug catching in the soundmixing department. I think that whoever adds the effects to the voice needs to get used to the new actor, because (especially in the first instance), my main kept mutating between ok – almost indistinguishable from the original – nuhoch – someone with malfunctioning gag reflex. And it’s not exactly considered best manners to start practicing your ventriloquist skills on a funeral…

Fourth: Dragon’s Watch. Eugh. I’ll have to live with it, I suppose.

Fifth: New map is a bit of a one trick pony at the first glance, and it will provide a huge economy boost for HoT owners But then again, HoT provided a huge economy boost for HoT owners, so maybe it won’t matter that much. And hey, the leather market may finally stabilize now the things actually drop from something again.

Sixth: And now for the bad. What. The. Hell. did you do to Almorra Soulkeeper. The wise old charr general speaks like a skritt (fast enough for the actor actually sound slurred because of the syllable tripping) and acts like a bad fanfiction. Seriously, this is not the same Almorra Soulkeeper that has founded the Vigil and let it against Zhaitan and Kralkatorrik’s minions, this sounds like being written by someone who utterly despises the character and gives her a Ron-the-deatheater approach. Considering I’m a charr and a vigil member, that was quite the kick in the gut.

Seventh: Not much replayability. As has been touched upon in another topic here, lot of the storyline takes place in the open map, which can’t be replayed on the same character. Well, thanks.

And finally:

The White Mantle. Dear gods, the White Mantle. Yes, raids are key part of that story, but it’s not the main issue. It’s the same mistake that happened back with the Caithe-past-centered episode in Season 2: You once again count on people knowing the lore when there’s a solid chance they don’t.

Current episode counts on three things: A) You raid. B ) You played Guild Wars 1. C) You’re a human.

If you don’t raid, the comeback of Lazarus comes with little ceremony and is literally dumped on your head, with some backup cinematics from Benett and other suporting characters, giving you the Scarlet Wars treatment of “oh, you should know this, if you missed it, sucks to be you”.

If you didn’t play Guild Wars 1, Bloodstone Fen is an uknown to you, Mursaat is an uknown to you and bloodstone is only known for being trash loot and having no culinary application. Suddenly talking to a Mursaat is not properly explained, there’s some sort of a narrative switch that says “Oh, this should be a big deal!” without telling you why is it such.

And if you’re not a human, then you know sod all about Caudecus and his politics and Shining Blade. For an Asura, a Charr, or a Sylvari, Caudecus may be the name you’ve never even heard, since you pretty much only meet him in the Caudecus Manor story instance, and Dungeons are not fixed part of the story, just a recommended one. White Mantle, you really don’t meet at all, since that’s all human personal story territory. My charr legionnaire being up-to-speed with all intricacies of human politics (enough to give even me a headspin, and I know my lore quite decent) just sounds wrong, stupid and shortsighted.

Overall: good patch, sizeable new content, but that royal kick in the head in the story department, butchering character voices and the long wait for the next chapter are just too much for me to be content with it. The latter, I can live with, but please, could we do without the other two next time, thank you -..-

in Living World

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

If you don’t raid, the comeback of Lazarus comes with little ceremony and is literally dumped on your head, with some backup cinematics from Benett and other suporting characters, giving you the Scarlet Wars treatment of “oh, you should know this, if you missed it, sucks to be you”.

It’s not really that different from what you get inside the raid. The cinematic is exactly the same one we got at the end of the second wing, if I’m not mistaken, and any reference to Lazarus comes exactly the same way, scrap papers and some small dialogue entries. There’s probably much more lore about what the white mantle has been doing on those three diaries than in the whole raid.

in Living World

Posted by: inubasiri.8745

inubasiri.8745

Well, honestly, this is still Guild Wars. And yes, GW1 people will know better what’s going on, but the story can’t be clean slate all the time, otherwise you’d be playing something else, not GW.

in Living World

Changer the Elder.2948

It’s not really that different from what you get inside the raid. The cinematic is exactly the same one we got at the end of the second wing, if I’m not mistaken, and any reference to Lazarus comes exactly the same way, scrap papers and some small dialogue entries. There’s probably much more lore about what the white mantle has been doing on those three diaries than in the whole raid.

I know, I actually raid. I finished all three wings, I scoured them through and through. But if I haven’t, I’d have a very bitter aftertaste right now, since the game basically tells you “Oh, and here’s a chunk of story you were too noobish to play, so we’ll digest it for you and tell you all about it,” which is basically literally what Bennet is for.

And I play Guild Wars 1.

Problem for both the raids and GW1 lore is the same. The story literally counts on you already doing both or knowing both, and being human, or at least knowing the human personal story and lore. If you don’t, the key parts of the story are just unceremoniously tossed at you. There is no proper buildup or anything. Especially the introduction of Lazarus is handled pitifully. “Tada, here I am, I know you knew I was coming, so there’s no reason to drag it off.”

People who don’t raid really didn’t know he was coming. People who don’t know Guild Wars 1 lore don’t know why is it such a big deal.

It’s not a problem of the stuff being there, but the way it’s handled. Generally, the story feels a bit frankensteined together. The part with Taimi and Eir and the dragons and magic builds up just nice, but as soon as Alm… whoever that fake cloned charr is barges in and shoehorns the White Mantle in, it takes a sharp detour into a plot that’s just “there”.

As a Pact commander, you basically say “Oh, it’s that dastardly White Mantle again, and they’re messing up with the Bloodstone.” That makes perfect sense for a human Pact commander, since they’ve dealt with White Mantle before, but for an asura? Or a charr?

It’s literally the same problem as it was with Caithe several months ago. The story counts on us having feeling or at least knowledge on something many have never seen.

in Living World

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

I always assumed the other races read up or were briefed on the Human history. I have a feeling that if the details were recapped in this event, people would just kitten about that too.

I know, I actually raid. I finished all three wings, I scoured them through and through. But if I haven’t, I’d have a very bitter aftertaste right now, since the game basically tells you “Oh, and here’s a chunk of story you were too noobish to play, so we’ll digest it for you and tell you all about it,” which is basically literally what Bennet is for.

And I play Guild Wars 1.

Problem for both the raids and GW1 lore is the same. The story literally counts on you already doing both or knowing both, and being human, or at least knowing the human personal story and lore. If you don’t, the key parts of the story are just unceremoniously tossed at you. There is no proper buildup or anything. Especially the introduction of Lazarus is handled pitifully. “Tada, here I am, I know you knew I was coming, so there’s no reason to drag it off.”

People who don’t raid really didn’t know he was coming. People who don’t know Guild Wars 1 lore don’t know why is it such a big deal.

It’s not a problem of the stuff being there, but the way it’s handled. Generally, the story feels a bit frankensteined together. The part with Taimi and Eir and the dragons and magic builds up just nice, but as soon as Alm… whoever that fake cloned charr is barges in and shoehorns the White Mantle in, it takes a sharp detour into a plot that’s just “there”.

As a Pact commander, you basically say “Oh, it’s that dastardly White Mantle again, and they’re messing up with the Bloodstone.” That makes perfect sense for a human Pact commander, since they’ve dealt with White Mantle before, but for an asura? Or a charr?

It’s literally the same problem as it was with Caithe several months ago. The story counts on us having feeling or at least knowledge on something many have never seen.

in Living World

Posted by: Dlarnkk.1068

Dlarnkk.1068

Actually if you’re a Pact commander, as a PC. You can actually talk to Canach about the ‘White Mantle’ stuff. So technically before they came to Bloodstone Fen. The Pact commander have a silver of information on what’s going on because of Canach.

However you probably just skipped Canach. He was in an episode called ‘Rearch into Rata Novus’, where he stand there near the very end. You should be more observant next time, and communicate with the NPCs around!

in Living World

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

I just came here to say that I’m super impressed with this patch. Loving every single thing that came with it so far (have yet to try the new fractal though, but I’ve seen the interface and changes via WP’s videos).

I especially love the QoL changes and the story itself. The pacing is amazing and the length is just perfect.

The new map is also awesome. Doesn’t seem too grindy and looks very fun. I was afraid they’ll put some huge time gated things and grindy stuff to make us busy till the next episode, but as far as I can see nothing like this happened. And that makes me very very happy. Good job Anet!

in Living World

Changer the Elder.2948

Actually if you’re a Pact commander, as a PC. You can actually talk to Canach about the ‘White Mantle’ stuff. So technically before they came to Bloodstone Fen. The Pact commander have a silver of information on what’s going on because of Canach.

However you probably just skipped Canach. He was in an episode called ‘Rearch into Rata Novus’, where he stand there near the very end. You should be more observant next time, and communicate with the NPCs around!

I talked to Canach, I talked to Bennet, I actually know the lore and backstory, it just made little sense in the terms of presentation. Lots of rather importatnt pieces are just haphazardly tossed at you.

I realize this is a much less of a complaint point for most, since playing human is the overall meta, I just offered my two cents of someone who mains another race.