PLS respect player's time: skip dialogue

in Living World

Posted by: Black Lotus.7318

Black Lotus.7318

Considering that releases are part of a “living story,” I can understand and appreciate the unskippable dialogue the first time through. Oftentimes during dungeon runs, I feel pressured by the group to skip through dialogue, even if I haven’t been able to experience it once.

That being said said, any subsequent repeats of a storyline should have a skip option. The dialogue never changes from the first to the tenth time, and it does become quite repetitive. Forced dialogue is great the first time around, but please add a skip option for repeats.

in Living World

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Considering that releases are part of a “living story,” I can understand and appreciate the unskippable dialogue the first time through. Oftentimes during dungeon runs, I feel pressured by the group to skip through dialogue, even if I haven’t been able to experience it once.

That being said said, any subsequent repeats of a storyline should have a skip option. The dialogue never changes from the first to the tenth time, and it does become quite repetitive. Forced dialogue is great the first time around, but please add a skip option for repeats.

It would have to recognize by account though, or else it loses half of it usefulness. I can think of two main reasons for people repeating: 1) Achievements 2) Alts.

Subsequent would work for #1, but if it only recognized subsequent for specific characters, then it wouldn’t help with #2.

Or words to that effect.

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

People have been calling for the option to skip cutscenes since the Aetherblade dungeon way back when. No action.

in Living World

Posted by: Pinkcomet.2975

Pinkcomet.2975

We need also a button to skip the fights. It is very annoying to have boring fights until you can follow the next dialog.

Stupid comment. Hearing same dialog second time is waste of time, there should be button to skip dialogs.

Maybe the story-favoring people think that about the combat.

Living Story. There it is, right in the name: “Story”. You want combat with no dialogue, run around in the Edge of the Mists. Nonstop fighting, all the time.

This is an RPG. There will be action, and there will be story. You cannot have one without the other. It would then become either an action game, or a graphic novel.

I can see why you call yourself ‘story-favoring people’.
Because you cant understand anything. have to watch it over and over.

For the example, This thread is all about ‘repeatedly’ for AP.
No one here want to skip story line at first try.
However you dont get this.

Meh… call yourself story-favoring but cant even understand the point of 1 page thread.
Failed…

in Living World

Pinkcomet.2975

People have been calling for the option to skip cutscenes since the Aetherblade dungeon way back when. No action.

oh.. seem like they wanna keep it boring as they can.

in Living World

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

We need also a button to skip the fights. It is very annoying to have boring fights until you can follow the next dialog.

Stupid comment. Hearing same dialog second time is waste of time, there should be button to skip dialogs.

Same could be said of repetitive battles though. If you don’t want to “waste” time playing a game, maybe you shouldn’t be playing a game.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

in Living World

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

I have to agree most of you guys, if there would be an option to skip all dialogues (cutscene or normal in game dialogues) I would 100% go for the achievements.

But if i have to hear all the dialogues again I am like f!ck that kitten

in Living World

Posted by: MrsKryten.5104

MrsKryten.5104

Same could be said of repetitive battles though. If you don’t want to “waste” time playing a game, maybe you shouldn’t be playing a game.

That’s just it though, some of us want to be active and play the game, not sit back and be passive watching the same dialogue scenes over and over while working on achievements. After the initial playthrough, I don’t see the harm in being able to skip dialog scenes if one wishes to do so.

in Living World

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

Why is this still not fixed? This is a major issue!

Glorious Human Master Race

in Living World

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Agreed. I’ll listen to all the dialogue the first time. But if I choose to repeat the story for the achievements, you should be able to skip the dialogue and go to the event.

Feels like a needless time-sink.

Gone to Reddit.

in Living World

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

I just wanted to pop in here to note that we had submitted this feedback/suggestion in with our community report to the developers about this release.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

in Living World

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

Thank you Regina for submitting this feedback to the devs. Being able to skip thru dialog and/or cutscenes for multiple chars would be so much more enjoyable. Again, thanks!

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

More so than seeing the repeating dialogue, I dislike this concept of being forced to repeat the exact same instance several times to even try to get the achievements. The earlier living stories made it challenging to get 3/3 first time through. This instance, it’s designed to be impossible.

I would have preferred that you could get one of the three (great detective, lousy detective, or efficient) and two other unique achievements (e.g. spot the person who arrived without an invite or whatever).

It will be great if the achievement instance allows one to skip stuff, but it would be better if more of the achievements weren’t mutually exclusive in the first place.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Might want to mark this thread for mild spoilers. I’m not done with the Summit Event, now I know there’s a fight…

But yeah cutscenes should be skippable the second time. Or better, just fast-forward it directly to the meaty part.

in Living World

Pinkcomet.2975

Thx Regina

Might want to mark this thread for mild spoilers. I’m not done with the Summit Event, now I know there’s a fight…

But yeah cutscenes should be skippable the second time. Or better, just fast-forward it directly to the meaty part.

I ll spoil you further more.
There also a talk and rewards at the end. jeez

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I just wanted to pop in here to note that we had submitted this feedback/suggestion in with our community report to the developers about this release.

It shouldn’t just be for this release. It’s a maddening problem in the new fractals and also a waste of time in Twilight Arbor Aether Path. Not many people who do FotM daily want to hear Rox and Braham talk to each other every single time they get Molten Facility fractal. It ends up accounting for a good chunk of the time you spend in that fractal. The same for Twilight Arbor. Even if you want to run one of the level 55 paths, you have to wait for Caithe and Turma to finish talking, which is another waste of time.

Waiting for NPC dialogue is something that shouldn’t be in any content designed to be repeatable.

in Living World

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Please make sure they understand the same issues with the KasMar dialog. We get that they are lovers, and the community for the most part thinks it’s great, but their forced dialog that brings the game play itself to a grinding halt is horrible. Make their dialog optional like the last bit of dialog for Canach/Anise. If we want to sit there and listen to the conversations going on, we will, because you guys have done that very well in the past. One of my favorites is the idle conversations between the Asura gate attendant in the Grove and his Sylvari assistant. Please do something similar to KasMar relationship dialog.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

in Living World

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Thank you. This will be especially helpful for those players who want the achievements that are timed.

Nothing worse than waiting for the NPCs to quit chit-chatting while watching the clock tick down.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

in Living World

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

This should’ve been patched and changed already. Posting this while waiting for the third time watching the dialogue. BOOOOOORING (and annoying).

in Living World

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

I believe the attitude towards the dialogues will change if there is an achievement for sitting through all the spoken dialogues. May I suggest new title “Patience is the key” XD

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

I don’t really understand.

People are fine with the mechanism to artificially lengthen the play time. Namely, the achievements being locked until after the first play through. People are fine with exclusive achievements requiring yet more play-throughs.

But you lose your patience for some repeated dialogue?

If I had my way, achievements would be awarded the very first time through. And you would also have the option to skip the dialogue if you have no interest in it.

Just that complaining about one without having a problem with the other… baffles me.

I’m with you on this, i don’t see the story part as much as a time waster as making me go trough it a second time just for the achievements.
it’s like watching a movie, only when watching it a second time you get something to drink and a comfy couch to sit on.
i mean, if there is nothing but the story and i have to stand there watching the movie for absolutely no reason i would simply stop watching the movie and ignore the crap out of it.

what if everything is like that, you can only unlock the survivor achievement when you have at least made it ones or you can only get master of overkill if you have at least done it ones and you have to do this with a second character.
no really, what’s the fun in that?

in Living World

Posted by: Tigerlily.3765

Tigerlily.3765

I’m currently minimizing my game waiting for the dialogue to finish. I came to the forums to see if there was a way to skip dialogue in World Summit that I missed. Guess not… Brutal.

I honestly can’t believe anet tests these acheives in the same way the player receives them, or there would be no way they could miss something this annoying. And it’s not like this is the first time that this EXACT problem has come up — the same thing happened with that “stomp” scarlet acheive, we had to watch that marjory/kasmeer scene over and over and over until any semblence of affection towards the story died.

in Living World

Posted by: Alkonium.9164

Alkonium.9164

Without going back to cutscenes, how would you make it possible to skip dialogue again?

in Living World

Posted by: TheRiverBlues.2607

TheRiverBlues.2607

Right now the “talking bobbleheads” cutscenes don’t sound like a bad idea huh? At least you can easily skip those vs. open world dialogue.

in Living World

Posted by: Mantheren.5428

Mantheren.5428

How to skip?
I’m assuming the state and position of everything at the end of the dialog is know right?
So just jump everything to that state.

When to skip?
I’m thinking some non obtrusive popup could slide in near the party UI with a button you can press to “Skip Dialog”. And when everybody in your party and instance has requested a skip you can then jump to that post-dialog state.

in Living World

Posted by: Exumerr.3829

Exumerr.3829

I miss the old cut scenes.

Isle of Janthir
Kev McGev – Ranger PvE // Gladiator McGev – War PvE / WvW / PvP
Kuunavang Rising [KuRi] // Assured Mutual Destruction [ICBM]

in Living World

Posted by: LadyHorus.8214

LadyHorus.8214

I’d also like a skip button for replays at the very least. :/ Or at least genuine checkpoints where you could retry from without having to replay the entire instance over again. The World Summit one has been a pain in the kitten to have to sit through over and over again just because of a failed attempt. Can try your patience after a while. :/

Rosangela Marie: 80 Mesmer • Rosangela: 80 Elementalist
MAGUUMA
My Artworks! - Lady Horus Gaming

in Living World

Posted by: Bugabuga.9721

Bugabuga.9721

How to skip?
I’m assuming the state and position of everything at the end of the dialog is know right?
So just jump everything to that state.

When to skip?
I’m thinking some non obtrusive popup could slide in near the party UI with a button you can press to “Skip Dialog”. And when everybody in your party and instance has requested a skip you can then jump to that post-dialog state.

To avoid super-fast-running-around (a-la “pet is too behind the ranger and catching up”) we could still have one of those “painting-like” mini-scenes, but 0.5 seconds long and without any characters. So you click “<skip>” which is somewhere at the top, you full-screen “wipe” and you and all NPCs are re-positioned for the next segment

in Living World

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

logged in just to voice my complaint on this.

decided to finally do the achievements before tomorrow’s patch, gave up after a few tries of the world summit because not even playing several smash bros matches while i waited for the dialogue to end was enough.

and while it’s the worst offender, there are several other story instances that suffer from “oh god just let me go already” moments. they work the first time, but when you’re replaying purely for the gameplay aspect, being forced to wait 5 minutes every time is unbearable.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Living World

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

How they wouldn’t think we would not wanna do this is baffling…No I REALLLY wanna sit through all that up to 3 times ina row…..

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

One could of course question HOW they could do it with the current setup.
The dialogue does not take place in cutscenes after all, but rather in the open world. Skipping such things in the open world might be very hard.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

They partly have the tools to do it to a small extent already. In the instance before you enter Dry Top for the first time (where you help Belinda defend against a Mordrem attack) there is a green star for dialogue with Kasmeer and Marjory. I think you can also talk to Braham, Rox and Taimi. Alternatively, you can completely skip these bits and activate the dialogue from the Seraph in charge which progresses the story.

Maybe we could get two colours of “dialogue” stars. Blue stars are for optional dialogue scenes which activate when you go over to them, green stars are for progressing the story (and skip as much dialogue as possible).

Alternatively they could add a toggle to the Story Journal which allows players to select Story Mode or Achievement Mode.

• Story Mode is the same as it currently exists – players play through the instances normally with all cut scenes and story intact. It is the default state when playing through instances.
  • Achievement Mode contains all the same gameplay as story mode but cuts out as much of the dialogue as possible. Events and NPCs trigger instance progression as fast as possible and all the achievements are intact. Achievement Mode is unlocked when Story Mode is completed and can be toggled on and off via the Story Journal.

in Living World

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

… and apparently they ignored you.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in Living World

Posted by: Kapina.9012

Kapina.9012

They did listen. I was so worried that the achievements in priory would take 4-6 hours with all the cutscenes and such, but to my surprise, you can just restart the achievement fight by talking to the challenge orb near the bosses..Love it, love it.

Thank you for listening and implementing this. Really saved a lot of time and made the achievement more enjoyable because I didn’t have to worry about restarting the whole story bit just because of 1 mistake. Thank you.

in Living World

Posted by: Niteraven.1372

Niteraven.1372

I seriously almost fell asleep talking to Taimi for ten minutes. I thought she was going to tell me what she had for breakfast.

“When I was your age, progeny, we used 20 sided dice.. and we LIKED it!!!” ~~ Berddi

in Living World

Posted by: geekanerd.4123

geekanerd.4123

As somebody who complained in this thread way back about not being able to skip, I just wanted to say that the challenge orbs are a welcome and needed addition. Thanks for implementing this feature. Appreciate it.

[DIE] – FA
“Is it uplevel ranger season yet?”

in Living World

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

+1 I agree, I’ve wanted to skip to the achievement parts since LS began

it’s such a waste of time

Are you Shpongled?

in Living World

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

4 months later.

Any progress on this?

Still need achievements from Dragon’s Reach part 2. Still don’t want to wait 5 minutes for every attempt.

English is not my native language, sorry :<

in Living World

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

First play through should be for the story and immersion. After that, any replay’s should allow skipping scenes.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Living World

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

add me to the list of dialogue skippers

(strangely, my first time posting to this thread has disappeared.)

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

in Living World

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I’m going to try to get the Dragon’s Reach part 2 achies this weekend. Wish me luck and good nerves.

One – Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Ok I’m coming back now. Got the Dragon’s Reach and now doing the Seeds of Truth. I wholeheartedly agree that we should be able to skip the cutscenes.

One – Piken Square