PVP and exotic water breather

in Living World

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

So, devs, next time you want to put in something for underwater combat. DON’T make the most reliable way to get it (aside from an almost infinitesimally small chance from RNG gifts) be from the mode that you can’t even use it in.

I don’t enjoy sPVP at all, but I’m finding myself having to do it a lot, even though I hate it, because it’s limited time only, and out of the THOUSANDS of gifts I’ve opened, I’ve gotten one outside of PVP, and it’s character bound.

This kind of ruined wintersday for me, it’s probably one of the biggest Bah Humbugs anet has thrown at us.

I don’t mind sPVP’ers having their own exclusive armor cosmetic set. I don’t mind them having their own exclusive titles. I don’t mind that they can get dungeon equipment without running dungeons even if it is a bit of a double standard (PVE gear for PVP’ers but no PVP gear for PVE’ers or WvW’ers)

But for them to get a reward they can’t even USE in that game mode, and for it to be almost exclusively earned through that game mode, that’s insulting.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I agree, although i wouldnt remove it from the reward track either. Maybe an underwater pve scavenger quest could have been appropriate as well

in Living World

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Agreed. I’m not minding the PvP myself, but it really is stupid that the most reliable way to get an item is for a mode it can’t be used in. It would be like adding Watchwork Portal Devices as rewards in WvW chests every 5th rank.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Living World

Posted by: Grump.7069

Grump.7069

Ooh cry me a river… For once the pvp reward track was worth something and pve’rs come crying over it :/ Maybe the gift drop rate of it was a little low, does it mean they shouldn’t have put it in the reward track? HELL NO.

Some PvPers don’t mind it being there at all because they also wvw and pve (think underwater frac) and could use it. After all it is an option. You can go for other things instead if the rebreather isn’t your aim.

Instead of kittening about the reward track, kitten about anet putting ridiculously low drop rates for the interesting loot in their gifts.

in Living World

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Ooh cry me a river… For once the pvp reward track was worth something and pve’rs come crying over it :/ Maybe the gift drop rate of it was a little low, does it mean they shouldn’t have put it in the reward track? HELL NO.

Some PvPers don’t mind it being there at all because they also wvw and pve (think underwater frac) and could use it. After all it is an option. You can go for other things instead if the rebreather isn’t your aim.

Instead of kittening about the reward track, kitten about anet putting ridiculously low drop rates for the interesting loot in their gifts.

I don’t believe the complaint was about it being on the reward track, but rather that being the only reliable way of obtaining it. Having it available as a reward in PvP is fine. Having it only reliably obtainable in a mode where it can’t even be used is just dumb.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Living World

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Only a few thousand gifts open? plz with the amount of gold pvers make a few thousand is mere pocket change scraps. Quit being stingy.

you got the underwater fractal ( if you do fractals) and two underwater bosses in frost gorge sound ( in which case your going to be swollowed by the zerg any ways ). Its not you get any more use out of it lol.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

in Living World

Devildoc.6721

I don’t believe the complaint was about it being on the reward track, but rather that being the only reliable way of obtaining it. Having it available as a reward in PvP is fine. Having it only reliably obtainable in a mode where it can’t even be used is just dumb.

Yes I should have been more clear. If it’s an option in the PVP reward track that’s fine, like I said I have no problems with even the dungeon reward tracks though that’s sort of hypocritical that PVP’ers get PVE rewards but PVE or WvW can’t get the glorious set without doing sPVP, but whatever because nobody really cares about the dungeon sets at this point.

I just think there should be wvw and pve options as well. Buy an oiled mariner bag for 1000 ugly wool sweaters or 1000 wvw badges + 100 ugly wool sweaters or something.

in Living World

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Why even bother? When they finally get around do doing underwater content, an exotic aquabreather will likely be easy to acquire.

ArenaNet does stuff like this as a survey, as in how many people who don’t normally PvP are willing to? It all comes down to increasing numbers and where to shift development resources.

in Living World

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I think it was a good idea. ArenaNet is trying to get people interested in sPvP. And it worked for me! I started up some sPvP to get the breather and discovered it’s quite fun.

When the game first released and they didn’t have the current PvP armor system things were a bit overwhelming, but now it’s quite easy to figure out and fun to just get in there and play.

And it doesn’t seem to take too long to get the reward track either. I’ve just done a few matches at the end of my night the past couple nights and I’m making good progress quickly.

in Living World

Devildoc.6721

I think it was a good idea. ArenaNet is trying to get people interested in sPvP. And it worked for me! I started up some sPvP to get the breather and discovered it’s quite fun.

When the game first released and they didn’t have the current PvP armor system things were a bit overwhelming, but now it’s quite easy to figure out and fun to just get in there and play.

And it doesn’t seem to take too long to get the reward track either. I’ve just done a few matches at the end of my night the past couple nights and I’m making good progress quickly.

It’s bad for 2 reasons. #1 PVP’ers don’t WANT PVE or WvW players who are just there for the rewards and don’t care about sPVP itself. They don’t want them to be on their teams, they want people who FOCUS on sPVP to be on their teams so that they win matches.

and #2 PVE’ers or WvW players who don’t enjoy sPVP format or especially the toxic community are feeling compelled to play the mode even though they don’t want to.

I mean say what you want about underwater combat but theres dungeon paths with it and fractals with it and there is NO sPVP with underwater combat in it. You don’t even have any underwater weapons in sPVP. This is the ONLY breather that you can get and put zerker stats on it (unless there’s one under level 70, but I looked at all level 70+ breathers in the game) much less of exotic quality, and it’s available only for a limited time.

So yes there is compulsion to force people into a mode they don’t like, and be a liability for sPVP regulars who have to have these players on their team.

This is not the way to put sPVP on life support.

If it’s not as popular as anet wants it to be, anet should consider looking at the format and seeing if it’s fun to a majority of people or not.

They should examine things like, downed status, the fact that some maps have gimmicks that radically alter teamfights (like skyhammer or kyhlo), the fact that getting courtyard instead of a conquest mode map radically changes what builds are effective or not (1v1 focused builds or builds focusing around defending points are useless in a TDM) and that while it’s great that there is now more than 1 pvp mode, you can’t choose TDM or Conquest, you can only choose to sPVP, and hope that your preferred mode wins the Roulette.

This is unlike GW1 in a bad way where you could choose RA or TA which were death matches, or JQ or FA which had objectives, or Codex Arena which is deathmatch with a sealed deck.. you know, you could CHOOSE.

GW2 they make the first mistake of only having relatively few game modes for sPVP, and then flub up again by making another game mode and then putting the 2 on roulette instead of choice.

Make sPVP fun and it won’t need to be on life support.

Leave it as it is now and you’re forced to offer rewards to bait people over.

in Living World

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Yes I should have been more clear. If it’s an option in the PVP reward track that’s fine, like I said I have no problems with even the dungeon reward tracks though that’s sort of hypocritical that PVP’ers get PVE rewards but PVE or WvW can’t get the glorious set without doing sPVP, but whatever because nobody really cares about the dungeon sets at this point.

I just think there should be wvw and pve options as well. Buy an oiled mariner bag for 1000 ugly wool sweaters or 1000 wvw badges + 100 ugly wool sweaters or something.

Lol really dude, your trying to do the whole eye level thing with the pvpers? well if you want to do that, first you got to get down on their eye level. Until the spring of 2014 update, do you know how much gold and items pvpers earned? 0 – zip – nada. They had to grind pvp for months to get a certain rank and then gamble for a chance to get the same skin that you get for doing a 5 minute dungeon path a few times. So tell you what you face the same struggle as they did and well hash out this problem easy. The game came out in aug 2012 so for the next 20 months take every item that isn’t account bound on acquire, all gold, all crafting materials, runes, sigils – and straight up toss/delete them. Just so you don’t try to be a smart alec and take a few months break and then claim time served, itll only count while your actually playing the game.

Does this sound like an acceptable deal? Lets see how far you actually are willing to go for a skin

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

in Living World

Devildoc.6721

Lol really dude, your trying to do the whole eye level thing with the pvpers? well if you want to do that, first you got to get down on their eye level. Until the spring of 2014 update, do you know how much gold and items pvpers earned? 0 – zip – nada. They had to grind pvp for months to get a certain rank and then gamble for a chance to get the same skin that you get for doing a 5 minute dungeon path a few times. So tell you what you face the same struggle as they did and well hash out this problem easy. The game came out in aug 2012 so for the next 20 months take every item that isn’t account bound on acquire, all gold, all crafting materials, runes, sigils – and straight up toss/delete them. Just so you don’t try to be a smart alec and take a few months break and then claim time served, itll only count while your actually playing the game.

Does this sound like an acceptable deal? Lets see how far you actually are willing to go for a skin

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great that you now get gold, crafting mats, even things like mystic clovers and such through PVP, and I suppose since you always could get the dungeon skins through PVP it’s not a big deal.

I suppose the exclusive reward for PVE is fractal skins, and exclusive reward for wvw is mistforged/hero skins, where PVP it’s Glorious skins.

I’m fine with that.

I’m not fine with something that doesn’t even apply to PVP being almost EXCLUSIVELY rewarded through PVP though.

in Living World

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Any time pve players are herded into pvp for pve rewards there is crying from both sides.

The pvp’ers don’t want to be on teams with pve’ers….

and the pve’ers would rather not be in pvp at all.

I just think its funny Anet continues to do this as some sort of sick joke.

On a related note…. I will not be doing any more ranked pvp until after Wintersday has ended, because I actually care about my ranking (even though the leaderboards were just reset). I’ve only won 3 but I’ve lost 2 already in ranked, and BOTH losses were because of PvE players just joining up in ranked because it gets them to their breather faster.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I think this problem could have been easily solved simply by making the Rime Rebreather tradable. I know a guildie who has 2 of these now, but he only has one character and thus the second one is completely wasted since he has no intention of making a second character. He’d love it if he could sell or give away the spare.

The Reward Tracks are a really great idea in terms of incentivizing players to try out PvP. But I do agree that it shouldn’t do so in a way that inconveniences PvP veterans (having total newbies join their Unranked/Ranked games when they shouldn’t be in there), or by forcing PvE players to do PvP if they really dislike the game mode. Having the Rebreather be tradable would have overcome both issues.

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I agree 100% TC. Having the only (reliable) way to get the Rebreather as PvP was incredibly silly.

The people who only do PvP won’t have any use for it. The people who don’t want to do PvP but could use a rebreather in PvE are forced into something they don’t want to do, and not just for a skin in this case as is the case with many other rewards, but something which actually has a tangible effect on gameplay.

I have no problem with PvP’ers getting rewards, certainly not. Everyone in any game mode needs to get good rewards. Even unique rewards, assuming they’re at least just aesthetics, are fine. But the rewards should actually be useful for the PvP’ers themselves, and they shouldn’t be anything which actually gives a gameplay advantage.

in Living World

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I agree they shouldn’t be tied just to PvP..specially because as Electro said, PvP players have almost no use for them..and if it’s indeed a case of ANet trying to get players into PvP it’s extremely pathetic.

Even so, underwater combat is in most cases evaded because it’s not that pleasant so not having an exotic breather is not that much of an inconvenience apart from the desire to have 100% full exotic gear.

I don’t care that much for exotic breathers..but i also don’t like how ANet are handling them.

in Living World

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Pvp should be worth something. Most of the Pvp rewards like AP are pathetic. OP is wrong.

Plus, the water breathers weren’t Pvp exclusive, so he has no room to complain.

They got it right last year too: PvE players could buy the toxic recipes for 5 gold + 250 spores. The tradable versions that ended up on the TP were Pvp exclusive. So PvPers who held onto their recipes could and did sell them for big $$$ to PvE who weren’t around for the event.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Living World

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

PvP player responses in this thread reinforce why I don’t play PvP.

I put the breather out of my mind after discovering it was a PvP reward. I respect their time and my own.

OP offers a valid criticism and is taking heat from PvP players who are projecting their gripes over previous decisions in that arena as justification for an implementation which doesn’t make sense.

PvP will have plenty of opportunities to grow and improve rewards. Trolling the OP is not going to improve the situation.

in Living World

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

I started the reward track thinking I’d get one of these then I got to the end and thought, nah. Picked a finisher instead. Didn’t get any from gifts, though I did open enough to get 3 pets, 2 bells, and a light of Dwayna recipe.