Paying for past content?

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Madman.6912

Madman.6912

“Now I would have had no problems with arenanet saying we will release periodic content that will be free if you are an active player or whatever (However they phrase it) …”

They said that, when they started releasing the living story, 2 years or so after the game’s release (with newsletters, blog posts etc). I don’t think that at game release it was already in their plans doing those eps in the way they currently are (and you can see this from how living story 1 was released).

“free once you bought the game once, and you only have to pay for expansions …”

I think their point was that it’s not sub-based, and their point still stand, you can log in whenever and play the game, you’re just missing 8 personal story episodes (something like 24 missions?)

btw, loved the witcher 3
ps: sorry for my english!!!

No dude, from the beginning means when I paid for it, so I know exactly what I am paying for, not a minute later

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: SourGummy.8570

SourGummy.8570

I’m currently going thru LS2 chp5. I got gw2 early in the year and was only able to unlock the last chp. I got the ultimate HoT which came with gems and the first thing that I did with them was to unlock all LS2.

I am ok with their approach since this is entirely OPTIONAL. If you want to play thru the story then you buy it (with purchased gems or convert via in-game gold). “Paying for past content” is same as paying to see an old movie, maybe you want to watch the first Hunger Game before the new one in theatre, but you missed it while it aired for free last Sunday night on cable, now you can either pay for a bluray/dvd/netflix/etc, or read about it online, or just skip it and watch the new one.

So far I am enjoying it, but also kind of rushing thru it so I can start with HoT story (level’ed a Rev with only 30 tomes used, also played thru the whole gw2 story again)

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Madman.6912

Madman.6912

I’m currently going thru LS2 chp5. I got gw2 early in the year and was only able to unlock the last chp. I got the ultimate HoT which came with gems and the first thing that I did with them was to unlock all LS2.

I am ok with their approach since this is entirely OPTIONAL. If you want to play thru the story then you buy it (with purchased gems or convert via in-game gold). “Paying for past content” is same as paying to see an old movie, maybe you want to watch the first Hunger Game before the new one in theatre, but you missed it while it aired for free last Sunday night on cable, now you can either pay for a bluray/dvd/netflix/etc, or read about it online, or just skip it and watch the new one.

So far I am enjoying it, but also kind of rushing thru it so I can start with HoT story (level’ed a Rev with only 30 tomes used, also played thru the whole gw2 story again)

No it is not, since the story makes no sense without it…. If the story got continued from where the base game left it off and living world would have been some sidestory (just like any other dlc is for any other game) then I would agree with you that it is optional. But that is not what happened….

If you want, I can explain it with your hunger games metaphore.

Imagine you buy hunger games (1) and watch it. Then later they release the extended edition dvd with 20 minutes extra footage that takes place AFTER the hunger games 1 ended, and they show it onTV on one channel ONE time, and then they start making hunger games 2 but the story picks up after the extended edition’s extra content and not the version you have and make you pay to watch the extended edition extra otherwise you wont understand the second episode….

Never, ever, anywhere that happened

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Never, ever, anywhere that happened

“Never” he says, and I have to point out the one case I know of: “Forever Red” from Power Rangers, made with the assumption of a fan-fic “Scorpion Reign” (I think that’s spelled right) being canon when it never was absorbed into it.

There’s also the butchering of character development during “Star Trek: The Motion Picture” cut during editing which made the movie a lot more solid. (It didn’t save it from being strangled to death by effects shots and dead air.) It made some connections between scenes/characters a little baffling.

Similarly, “Star Trek: Generations” contains plot points galore which were hefted over from the TV series and not explained adequately in the film.

Of course, this doesn’t also address serialized television before the advent of VCRs/Betamax. God help you if you missed an episode of Twin Peaks and tried to see the next week . . . similarly, Doctor Who . . .

Serialized content is always a huge gamble that people won’t be able to experience it in serial fashion. At least, at least, we have the option to catch up at all with Season 2 . . . though adding an NPC to the start of the prologue explaining all of LS2 would be great to see.

Sort of like what they had to do with Season 1, which nobody will be able to experience yet except the small parts translated over into Fractals.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Paying for past content?

in Living World

Posted by: Onyx.5107

Onyx.5107

I won’t delve into the discussion wether it should be free or not…

As a fairly new player (only bought the game recently), I can’t really afford to buy LS2 just yet, but I do want it eventually. Does anyone have any idea how long the whole LS2 pack will be discounted?

I would hate to miss on this opportunity, 320 gems discount is quite decent for someone who doesn’t have 5000 gold just laying around.