Please don't kill off Trahearne

in Living World

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Trahearne can be fixed. Please DO NOT kill him off!

I see a lot of people asking for Trahearne’s death and blood, but I think that would be a huge, HUGE Mistake! Why? In short: It would be repeating the ‘Trahaerne’ cycle over again.

When Trahearne came into the story, players were pre-conditioned not to like him, not because of Trahaerne’s character itself, but because the way the Personal Story was set up.

1. Throughout the entire personal story, from level 1 to finish, we are introduced to characters who befriend us for about 10 levels, then simply get replaced. By level 50, when Trahearne is introduced, we already get that feeling about him as a “replacement”.

2. Our mentor’s death. As players, we thought our mentor would actually stick with us, as they remained for more than 10 levels. Our mentors had spicy, fun personalities, and then they are suddenly replaced. That felt really bad.

3. Trahearne came off TOO much as our friend. There wasn’t much time to build trust, even during the Sylvari storyline. It felt like he was being shoved in our face during the Clawr Island arc, and that instantly made him unlikeable to many.

4. Praise without any exposition. We met Trahearne, and he seemed like an incredibly humble scholar, and he seemed okay. But then other NPCs continuously praise him, and we learn he’s some sort of HERO BADDASS WHO TRAVELED INSIDE AND OUT OF ORR LIKE IT’S NOTHING! Yet to Trahearne, he likes to be humble about it. Okay, that’s all fair, and if he’s a humble baddass, that’s pretty cool. But here’s the problem with that: We never actually learn about what he did. And I don’t mean publishing a short story online. I mean, we never learn, through interacting with characters, why they respect Trahearne so much? That gave players the false impression that he is a Mary Sue or the writer’s pet, and it rubbed us the wrong way.

Yet despite his flaws, most of them aren’t Trahearne’s character itself. Quite the contrary, he is the ONE character to properly thank us and give us credit for our actions, and he even gave us command of the ENTIRE Pact during the battle against Zhaitan!

So why do people hate him, Trahaerne himself? They think he is boring. Why is that? My guess is because we rarely saw him interacting with other characters, so he became too much of a machine simply to guide along the players of the Zhaitan storyline. If anything, Trahearne himself is the victim here, because ANET forgot about him even during his own story arc!

However, this concern about Trahearne can be addressed very easily, and there were a few instances where I felt genuinely interested in his character. During the Sylvari Personal Story, we got to see him interacting with Caithe, while during the Claw Island arc, he was humerously remarking upon his misadventures with Sieran, and he actually made me laugh! It was the few scenes like those, where we actually got to see his personality and interactions with others, which actually gave players an interest in Trahearne!

Sure, Trahearne is a stoic Necromancer who has confidence issues, who is still a little shy even at the party after you defeat Zhaitan. But at the same time, if done right, that personality can make him very loveable if he were to interact and respond to other characters.

What defines a character’s personality are tension, conflict, and their approach to problems. In Trahearne’s case, he is not too good socially, and he is quite shy. Interacting with Taimi and getting a little embarassed around her, is a good way to define who he is. Or perhaps even more interesting, his interactions with a muscle-head like Braham, since Trahearne is a scholar Necromancer who uses tactical reason over Braham’s brute force.

My point is that Trahearne can be good if done right, and killing him off would be a bad decision since it repeats what we were pre-conditioned to hate him in the first place. ANET should instead show the community that Trahearne can be repaired.

So for pete sake, PLEASE keep Trahearne alive! (And stop killing characters so much…)

in Living World

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Agreed Op, and I for one would be quite disappointed in Anet if they just killed him off without even attempting to flesh him out.
I’m still amused at his awkwardness of being flirted at by another Sylvari in the one Ps lol.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

(edited by Zalani.9827)

in Living World

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

The only reason to keep him alive at this point would be to troll the community. The overwhelming hatred of his character from the community demand his death/absence.

The best thing that could happen to him is that he comes to offer his help and is promptly picked up and killed by a vine.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

in Living World

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Not enough heroes die. Trahearne should die, he’s a terrible person. Also killing characters to much? Who has really died that was important who was on the good side? It’s kinda silly to have hundreds die, either in a firey burning city with lasrs or ships falling from the sky but “oh no not our heroes!”.

in Living World

Posted by: Cliff.8679

Cliff.8679

Killing off Trahearne would be great. It could open the doors for a storyline in which the Pact falls apart and the fight against the dragons becomes focused on the different nations working together rather than the orders.

Bonus if he gets corrupted like Scarlet and Aerin and we get to put him down ourselves. I’ll be the first to say that the hate surrounding Trahearne isn’t so much his fault as a character and it is more a failing of the personal story itself, but the two have become so heavily associated there really isn’t any escaping the stigma anymore.

in Living World

Posted by: Leallax.1482

Leallax.1482

I personally don’t think Trahearne should be killed off. I rather liked his character, but it would also be super confusing for people new to GW to finish off their personal story and realize oh Trahearne’s actually dead. Plus, I feel his character wasn’t written as well as it could have been, and this is a chance to fix that, since their writing has improved leaps and bounds since S1.

I don’t think he should die, but if he does, he should get a chance to flesh out his character first.

in Living World

Posted by: Shardelyss.4807

Shardelyss.4807

Can first born be corrupted though? As being “mama” favourite among the Sylvari, I think they would have some extra (hidden) protection that the others would lack.

Personally though, I wouldn’t kill Trahearne off either as I’m not in that party of people who a. want a cheap death and b. just want him dead.

Just make him OUR second. Maybe he can do the paperwork in D.E. 2.0 that we currently do when we fill out our journal. (He might even be a bit more accurate and not write that we UNWITTINGLY ran into Omadd’s machine when we went with full intent to knock our friend out)

in Living World

Posted by: Sumashu.4168

Sumashu.4168

Can first born be corrupted though?

Faolain ? x)

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Honestly, I don’t want them to just off the guy, but I do think he needs to go. He’s just got too much baggage that has already been handled. There aren’t many interesting conflicts left for him to have.

What would he do in the world that would be interesting any more? Follow us around with a handful of other people after being leader of the pact? We’d be back to square 1. Rebuild a newly destroyed pact? Already seen that one. Cleanse Mordremoth’s corruption too? Seems a bit contrived.

I’d actually rather like to see him sacrifice himself in a very noble and heroic manner. As a character his tale is told, but it hasn’t had a satisfying ending. he sat in a base while Zhaitan was killed, and spends his days doing background coordination for the pact. He’s stuck in limbo. The best, most noble ending for his story is to die valiantly in battle, saving our player character from a horrible fate, and thus completing his transformation from reluctant scholar to legendary hero that gave up everything to save tyria from the dragons.

This would be a natural end, would redeem him in the eyes of the player base, and would most importantly open up a lot of new storytelling opportunities for the pact itself, whether someone with a new story to tell ascended to lead it, or if it were to fracture apart again, or whatever.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Living World

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

From what I read Faolain was only corrupted by removing the poison that she’d given Caithe in the first place to force her to join the Nightmare Court, but it only rotted Faolain’s hand. This was in preparation for Destiny’s Edge’s confrontation of Glint, Kralk’s champion.

I’d really hate to see Trahearne die in this LS, having a Sylvari main and several other Sylvari toons. I truly don’t feel that he’s deserved all the hate he’s gathered. I’ll admit I don’t like it when he says “This won’t end well.” (a little confidence from him would have been nice LOL. But, he was only a scholar and was quite reluctant and unsure of becoming the Commander of the PACT forces as evidenced in the PS “A Light in the Darkness”. He doesn’t take away from the PC’s accomplishments, just happens to be in charge. As a side note my dd had a huge crush on him <smile>

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

in Living World

Posted by: Synesh.1094

Synesh.1094

Last time i heard of a character that was killed or destroyed because of the community hate, was Garrosh Hellscream from world of warcraft. A brute orc, chosen to be the new leader because the army liked him as a general.
And I be kitten ed he put the WAR in warchief. He had an amazing moment in a quest storyline, that gave him the depth he needed, I was hating him before that event, and I ended up loving him afterwards, because he made a stand of opinion and morale in a brutal war.
Then came the post-release patches. Thrown down the pit the good side of him they enstablished during the lvl 1 to 60 experience. Made him, evil, bloodthirsty, idiotic and down right evil out of the backside because “power corrupts.”
I’ll hate to see that happen again just because people like to hate. It’s far to easy to hate.

As you stated, we need to see why he’s the general now, why he was praised for his journey in orr and so on. Hope they can fix that in the future.
fingers crossed

in Living World

Posted by: Aegis Dominion.4708

Aegis Dominion.4708

If we ever get customizable housing, I am mounting Trahearne’s head over my mantle.

in Living World

Posted by: Pheppo.9286

Pheppo.9286

If we ever get customizable housing, I am mounting Trahearne’s head over my mantle.

Same here … nuke him from orbit! Kill it with fire!

Server: Riverside [DE]
Chars: The fluffy Flapsi (Ele), Fipsip (Mesmer), Flappo (Necro), Fenix (Engi)

in Living World

Posted by: geogyf.5087

geogyf.5087

I agree.

For me the current party (Kasmeer, Delaqua, etc) are more bland than Trahearne.

Trahearne at least had his superpowers exlained (Pale Tree/Caladbolg empowerment, plus he also ventured alone in Orr for years)

The current party we have do not deserve it.

In fact almost everything they have achieved was thanks to us, the players.

in Living World

Posted by: citypigeon.6358

citypigeon.6358

Don’t kill off Trahearne, he’s cute. And he has potential.

Also it would create a total mess of the personal story. Not everyone has actually finished it by now, and those people maybe playing the living story instead.

IGN: zestalyn
zestalyn.tumblr

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Don’t kill off Trahearne, he’s cute. And he has potential.

Also it would create a total mess of the personal story. Not everyone has actually finished it by now, and those people maybe playing the living story instead.

The living story is after the personal story in the official timeline. Unless you make an effort to “fast forward” you won’t get to the LS until you finish it.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Living World

Posted by: alccode.1297

alccode.1297

Add my vote to “not killing off Trahearne”.

This “overwhelming community hate” seems to come from isolated forum posts as far as I can tell and is not indicative of a wider “hatred” in the general player base.

I really have no issues with Trahearne – in fact, I find him quite likeable. He is a noble and driven character with depth (self-doubts etc). Indeed, I have some theories about why people hate him so much (incidentally, I believe it is partly due to a more general anti-Sylvari hatred… I went over some analysis of this topic in a GW2Guru thread that was filled with Sylvari hatred).

Maybe someone should start a “I MISS TRAHEARNE” thread. Heck, maybe I will (I won’t really, since the first 10 replies will likely be filled with vitriolic hatred.)

But yeah, where IS Trahearne? His absence in the living story is becoming increasingly conspicuous.

in Living World

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Or maybe he could be horribly injured and in danger of dying if he doesn’t get an immediate tissue ‘graft’ from a sylvari with a matching sap type, only there are no living sylvari with a matching sap type, and in fact there has only ever been one other sylvari with a sap type that matches Trahearne’s – that’s right, our beloved and sorely missed Scarlet Briar!

Let us bow our heads in a moment of silence.

/e bow head

Ahem. And maybe it could be that, fortunately for Trahearne (and us), Scarlet’s body has been preserved – for study! And there could be a brilliant asuran medical genius, with a name like, oh, I don’t know, Howsse, or Maccoy, or maybe Kildairr, on hand to perform the operation. It would of course be a terribly risky procedure, but nothing, really, can stand in the way of an asuran medical genius, so of course Trahearne would be saved! Well. His head, anyway. He would mostly be the same old Trahearne, frolicking about Orr and elsewhere dispensing Trahearnely wisdom and being our best pal – just with Scarlet’s body.

What. It could happen.

Peirrce. Dooggie. Quinn – hey! The possibilities are alchemically eternal.

The table is a fable.

in Living World

Posted by: Taglor Anwamane.9468

Taglor Anwamane.9468

Trahearne is a victim of two things, mainly: 1) The writing of dialogue, which is mediocre; and even more so 2) His voice actor. Comparing the dialogue and voice of Trahearne during the early Sylvari story with that of the late game shows a huge difference. It’s clear that the voice actor got bored, lost all desire to put feeling into the lines, and therefore made a character that should have been somewhat interesting into a (sadly) bland and difficult-to-connect-with character. I like him despite the bandwagon hate against him, simply because I can see that the character himself is not at fault, rather, it’s that the character wasn’t executed well enough. That kind of goes for Scarlet as well.
I don’t want Trahearne to be killed off. However, they can feel free to do whatever they want to Queen Jennah.

in Living World

Posted by: Rhinzual.7861

Rhinzual.7861

Trahearne is well, a terrible leader. He is so boring that he can’t even raise morale outside of soldiers feeling pity for him after his bland speeches.

My first character to see Treesus was my Blood Legion Charr Warrior. All about tactics, fighting, war, military, you name it. From a role-playing perspective, a Charr who was basically military through and through, had fought large numbers of Risen even before Claw Island, is now suddenly being told by his awesome Norn mentor that they have a fighting chance when this expert in Risen shows up. He then finds out minutes later that Treesus is only a scholar, has only studied the Risen and never fought them, and is saying very loudly within feet of soldiers who want to know if they’ll win that it won’t be a battle, just a straight up massacre and they’ll all be doomed. Against all Blood Legion-logic, he did not immediately knock-out Treesus with the pommel of his Greatsword for ruining morale right before a very decisive battle and being dead weight (non-combatant with no experience fighting the enemy who is more useful as a source of intelligence). Heck, one of the first things that Warrior did was kill the incompetent superior officer who scapegoated him for all the deaths after the tutorial, and he knew the guy for years (I’m assuming), so he’d have no real patience for Treesus. He’d stuff Treesus into a library after Claw Island and tell him/it to focus on cleansing Orr while he would go about organizing a proper defense and new initiative to combat the Risen.

Sadly, all that never happens and he heaps praise upon this scholar with no combat experience and tells him he’s a great leader for The Pact and I just threw up the ice-cream I had not ten minutes ago, crap. That’s how sickening Treesus is from a storyline/character perspective, I’m not even gonna touch on how useless he is in combat, that’s an Allied NPC issue in general.

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

Last time i heard of a character that was killed or destroyed because of the community hate, was Garrosh Hellscream from world of warcraft. A brute orc, chosen to be the new leader because the army liked him as a general.

You can add another character to your “Destroyed because of community hate” list: Scarlet Briar.

Like Trahearne, this character suffered from poor presentation in the game. She was presented as a one-dimensional cartoonish figure from Queen’s Jubilee 2013 to the end of 2013. To make matters worse, Scarlet and her minions were everywhere in the game. Even in the Mists!

Last Christmas season, people created the “We Hate Scarlet Briar” thread (and simillar threads) because of the presentation problem.

Some gamers, like myself, pointed out things that needed to be fixed such as:

(1) her voice actress needed to get rid of the fake 19th century British accent.
(2) introduce her background story (which would help give the character depth)

Anet did those changes, but it was too little too late. There were too many players who insisted that Scarlet should die. The only reason we got Battle of Lion’s Arch was because the majority of players wanted to peg her to the floor.

Anyways, I think I’ve gotten off-topic. Back to Trahearne…

No, I don’t think Fern boy should die. Why? Because an Roleplayer dared to RP Trahearne in Lion’s Arch during the Aftermath: Lion’s Arch update. There is an unspoken rule in the GW2 RP community against RPing NPCs. This player was brave enough to break the rules and create one of the most memorable fan-created moments in the game. If only Overwolf worked for me that day. I wish I could of recorded this moment.

I used to be against Trahearne 1000%. That RPer helped me to realize that Spinach Head just suffers from poor acting and presentation.

For those who don’t know Lapis, he is a RP character who loved Scarlet alot (like Taimi does), and he was the only RP character who mourned for her when she died. During Aftermath, the Trahearne RPer saw my post about Lapis quietly mourning for Ceara in the crowd. He came over to Lapis, and he mentioned how he missed Ceara as well. That moment changed my view on Trahearne (IC and OOC).

I don’t want Firstborn Trahearne to die. DON’T kill Trahearne!

(edited by kta.6502)

in Living World

Posted by: Tranc.6780

Tranc.6780

Trahearne should be corrupted for one reason: make the player’s character the leader of the Pact and the center of the personal/living story once again.

in Living World

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

No tears would be shed for Trahearne if he dies. The most uninspiring leader ever.
Basically Trahearne in a nutshell: “Oh, but i don’t want to go, but if i must, i’ll go.”

in Living World

Posted by: shinreigari.7318

shinreigari.7318

OP is kinda right about Trahearne. I would add though, that the one thing that makes him annoying for me is his voiceover. That bored, lethargic voice and the lifeless tone of it. And I don’t think this can be properly explained with “oh but he’s a moody necro” or “he’s a scholar studying the dead, ofc he sounds lethargic” – hell no.

in Living World

Kain Francois.4328

Moving on, Trahearne should be kept alive for another good reason: “This wont end well.”

One of the most iconic GW memes to grace the franchise. I chuckle every time he says it.

Love him or hate him, but he is quite memorable, and I think that is important.

in Living World

Posted by: Rhinzual.7861

Rhinzual.7861

Moving on, Trahearne should be kept alive for another good reason: “This wont end well.”

One of the most iconic GW memes to grace the franchise. I chuckle every time he says it.

He’s memorable alright, it’s just that he’s memorable for all the wrong reasons.

in Living World

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

And I be kitten ed he put the WAR in warchief. He had an amazing moment in a quest storyline, that gave him the depth he needed, I was hating him before that event, and I ended up loving him afterwards, because he made a stand of opinion and morale in a brutal war.
Then came the post-release patches. Thrown down the pit the good side of him they enstablished during the lvl 1 to 60 experience. Made him, evil, bloodthirsty, idiotic and down right evil out of the backside because “power corrupts.”
I’ll hate to see that happen again just because people like to hate. It’s far to easy to hate.

As you stated, we need to see why he’s the general now, why he was praised for his journey in orr and so on. Hope they can fix that in the future.
fingers crossed

Talking about “brutal wars” in wow is like talking about brutal wars in “tom&jerry”

in Living World

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

I agree with the OP, but for different reasons. The sylvari are the only race not represented in our current band of heroes. Let him join the group, and then show us why he’s such a hero. Either that, or let the other characters in the group feel similarly to him as we do… that could be entertaining.

They could always martyr him off, too. Either way, get ready for some salad with the meat and potatoes of the new LS…. and god help Anet if trahearne sucks again. The uproar will be legendary!

(edited by Tagus Eleuthera.7305)

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Imagining Bobby sitting in his office, a flower in his hand, picking off the petals:

“We kill him…”
“We kill him not.”
“We kill him…”

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Killing off Trahearne would be great. It could open the doors for a storyline in which the Pact falls apart and the fight against the dragons becomes focused on the different nations working together rather than the orders.

Bonus if he gets corrupted like Scarlet and Aerin and we get to put him down ourselves. I’ll be the first to say that the hate surrounding Trahearne isn’t so much his fault as a character and it is more a failing of the personal story itself, but the two have become so heavily associated there really isn’t any escaping the stigma anymore.

Trahearne standing in battle stance , facing right at the player, with an army of undead and corrupted plants behind him…
Could you imagine the Squee Heard Round the World when that trailer got released?

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Living World

Kain Francois.4328

He’s memorable alright, it’s just that he’s memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Or maybe Trahearne is just squeamish. And that gives him some personality when he says “This wont end well.” He’s a nervous scholar, probably a little grossed out by the fact blood and guts splattering everywhere when killing Risen.

Unfortunately what could’ve been funny was “lost in translation” when they forgot to polish his quirks…

in Living World

Posted by: Sorann Peace.9056

Sorann Peace.9056

I honestly think Trahearne isn’t even that bad of a character. The extent of his negative aspects are how monotone he might sound to people, but that’s just his voice. I don’t base a character’s quality purely off their voice. There’s a lot of interesting things about Trahearne that make him unique, such as his quirkiness and nervous scholar attitude.

Another thing to note is he never once stole your story. The people who keep saying that are, in my opinion, utterly insane. At what point does he steal your credit? Only once really, and that’s during Forging the Pact.

Thing is, if I remember correctly, that fight was originally supposed to be a sort of duel, or at least that’s what the npc dialogue implied to me. However, ArenaNet decided to opt out of that and have the player fight it for some unknown reason? I personally interpret it as a mistranslation between gameplay and story. Something was off there, and it didn’t seem intended either.

As for every other moment in the PS, he basically grovels at your feet and is like “Oh, mighty player character, without you, the entire Pact would have failed! You are our HERO!” Meanwhile, the rest of the NPCs stand around and chant at you with the words, “Commander! Commander!”, reveling you as the hero.

Okay, maybe not exactly like that, but metaphorically speaking that’s how the PS came off to me as. Then again, I constantly double-click NPCs, even in the PS missions, and I read the dialogue window. If you don’t read the dialogue windows then yeah, it might appear like you’re not the most important, but reading the dialogue windows in each mission turns that entire perception around.

in Living World

dkspins.4670

I honestly think Trahearne isn’t even that bad of a character. The extent of his negative aspects are how monotone he might sound to people, but that’s just his voice. I don’t base a character’s quality purely off their voice. There’s a lot of interesting things about Trahearne that make him unique, such as his quirkiness and nervous scholar attitude.

Another thing to note is he never once stole your story. The people who keep saying that are, in my opinion, utterly insane. At what point does he steal your credit? Only once really, and that’s during Forging the Pact.

Thing is, if I remember correctly, that fight was originally supposed to be a sort of duel, or at least that’s what the npc dialogue implied to me. However, ArenaNet decided to opt out of that and have the player fight it for some unknown reason? I personally interpret it as a mistranslation between gameplay and story. Something was off there, and it didn’t seem intended either.

As for every other moment in the PS, he basically grovels at your feet and is like “Oh, mighty player character, without you, the entire Pact would have failed! You are our HERO!” Meanwhile, the rest of the NPCs stand around and chant at you with the words, “Commander! Commander!”, reveling you as the hero.

Okay, maybe not exactly like that, but metaphorically speaking that’s how the PS came off to me as. Then again, I constantly double-click NPCs, even in the PS missions, and I read the dialogue window. If you don’t read the dialogue windows then yeah, it might appear like you’re not the most important, but reading the dialogue windows in each mission turns that entire perception around.

Agreed, Trahearne never does steal the PC’s accolades, and he sure as kitten didn’t want to lead the PACT, but the Pale Tree told him that he must be what “Tyria needs him to be” So the scholarly Trahearne had to step up to the plate because our (speaking as a Sylvari) mother said he had to. He had the connections previously from his pursuits of knowledge of ORR, and the backing of the Pale Tree, so when the PACT was forged he had to take the leadership role.

Thus, I truly don’t understand such hatred for him. Perhaps the Sylvari PS helps the PC to relate to him and to understand where he’s coming from, not sure. “This won’t end well” is perhaps his inner doubt coming out. tbh, I really like Trahearne and would love to see him play a role in the new LS. as a side note, I love his voice and accent.

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

I’d rather we lost Trahearne than Queen Jennah or the Pale Tree to be honest. Supposedly, a major World Leader is going to die this season according to various rumors. Lots of people are thinking Queen Jennah. Others are speculating the Pale Tree -is- Mordremoth’s Champion, like Glint was for Kralkatorrik, and that the Pale Tree is going to sacrifice herself to weaken Mordremoth so he can be killed.

If given a choice between the three characters (Queen Jennah, the Pale Tree, and Trahearne), I would pick Trahearne every time. The other two are -far- too important to lose. There are replacements for Trahearne, and even if there aren’t, in this Living Story it seems like we’re uniting the 5 Nations against the Elder Dragons now. Compare that to the three Orders, and I’d find the Pact to be woefully inferior.

in Living World

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Well, I never seen much to hate Trahearne, nor to like him.

But then again, we can’t choose who lives or dies…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

in Living World

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

… in this Living Story it seems like we’re uniting the 5 Nations against the Elder Dragons now. Compare that to the three Orders, and I’d find the Pact to be woefully inferior.

The pact did unite all 5 nations. They got support from the high legions (Char tanks), created their airships using human, char and asuran technology, received an ancient relic of the Sylvari (Caladbolg) and let’s not even talk about support from various characters of all races who are not tied to orders.

That aside, I like Trahearne (besides his voice actor). He was a character that evolved from an unsure researcher to a confident commander. Agreed he was not the best fighter but his knowledge,spells and rituals have served the pact well. I would love seeing him in LS2.

EverythingOP

in Living World

Posted by: BobbyStein

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

Imagining Bobby sitting in his office, a flower in his hand, picking off the petals:

“We kill him…”
“We kill him not.”
“We kill him…”

That’s exactly how it happened.

in Living World

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

“We kill him…”
“We kill him not.”
“We kill him…”

bobby clearly used a 4 leaf clover, trusting that its lucky nature would lead him to make the right decision

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Living World

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

haha! wow. That’s hilarious.

in Living World

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

Direct kill is one thing, but what about him just being left and forgotten? It’s also not good considering how important he was. I think I’d be happy if he just moved to his scholarish stuff and appeared few times in LS as a kind of advisor, but NOT all-knowing unkillable supreme leader. He has experience and knowledge? Nice. Then just put him into some room and we will visit him when we have some questions.

in Living World

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

Compromise: coma?

in Living World

dkspins.4670

“We kill him…”
“We kill him not.”
“We kill him…”

Please don’t take my buddy Trahearne, take that hag Queen Jennah who “called” Logan away from his obligation to his fellow DE characters, despite the fact that she could conjure up a dragon. <smile>

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Or, if something horrible happens to Treeherne, we’d have to find a replacement for the Pact leader! Whirlwind adventure ensues as the Commander refuses the position, but eagerly seeks to find his replacement.

It’s a fantasy HR nightmare!

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Living World

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

“We kill him…”
“We kill him not.”
“We kill him…”

bobby clearly used a 4 leaf clover, trusting that its lucky nature would lead him to make the right decision

“We kill him not.”
“We kill him”
“We kill him not.”
“We kill him”

Yep the right decision has been made!

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Living World

Kain Francois.4328

“We kill him…”
“We kill him not.”
“We kill him…”

The end cutscene where he was exhausted, made it really obvious what direction the story could’ve taken, but I’m really glad you guys decided not to kill him.

Cleansing Orr symbolized cleansing the theme of constant death up until that point, and it was a really cool twist observant readers could appreciate.

Killing Trahearne would be turning back on that cool twist, and ruin something that was really cool in the personal story. Besides, some people actually like Trahearne… :X

in Living World

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

I would certainly hope we don’t go picking off characters based on how poorly their execution has been in the Personal Storyline, otherwise we are killing off a wide, wide, wiiiiide array of characters ranging from everyone in Destiny’s Edge (“We somehow run around killing dragon lieutenants while armies are unable to do so without random mercenaries pitching in! Save the world? Perish the thought. Forced drama comes first!”) to Queen Jennah’s selective capabilities when it comes to her mesmerism, to most leaders of Tyria’s organizations, sooner picking on archetypes than wanting to put minimal cooperation ongoing until Trahearne’s barely-explained past comes into play.
I would say we would also have to blow up Lion’s Arch after their captains still haven’t figured that maybe people may attempt to attack them in some other way than sea, but I guess Scarlett already took the upper hand on that idea.

In short, I would like to agree. Fix his development, rather than make him a loose end. It has worked out well with Braham and Rox. They were like a new heavy dose of uninteresting poison when Fire and Frost came out, but now they are in fact very likeable and developed characters. We can even look past Rox’s terrifying face and Braham’s haircut inspired by Lady Gaga’s stylist! Or looking past Taimi using more makeup than a 60 year old woman going to a senior gathering… and being unnecessarily underaged.
I would say the “replacement female on female” was also a let-down (which to be fair, was also just as unnecessary. I am not bashing it, I am just saying it shouldn’t be a prerequisite to have one of those in every set of main characters!), but Kasmeer and Marjory were in fact very likeable characters from the get go without being spoiled by the abrupt romance situation. (Until lately, at the very least. Tad bit too much clinginess in their dialogues, tad bit too little actioning.)
Everything can be turned around! With a little effort and actually making content that explains and develops on things.
Granted if we look at the whole “I knew Mordremoth, pfft, who doesn’t.” situation, we lose a bit of hope on that area… But. PS has gotten much better lately, so… Almost there.

in Living World

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Please kill him so we can have meaningful characters and growth.

While you’re at it please kill off the following as well as they are passed their prime now.

Ohgden, Eir, Livia.

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I really want him to die. And I mean really. I never liked him. And I think it would be a good way for the NPC hate of sylvari to stop with the death of the leader of the pact. A hero dying would be great for the story. Everyone seems bullet proof at the moment. I mean only our mentors dying are the only really impactful deaths (well forgel and tybalt, the sylvari was way too happy and annoying. I was happy when she died.)

You can even kill of Zoldra/cathe or anyone from DE 2.0, just not Timi. I’ll miss scruffy.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

Posted by: Ogwom.7940

Ogwom.7940

pleeeaaaase I hope he becomes corrupted by Mordremoth, so that I can destroy him

in Living World

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I really want him to die. And I mean really. I never liked him. And I think it would be a good way for the NPC hate of sylvari to stop with the death of the leader of the pact. A hero dying would be great for the story. Everyone seems bullet proof at the moment. I mean only our mentors dying are the only really impactful deaths (well forgel and tybalt, the sylvari was way too happy and annoying. I was happy when she died.)

You can even kill of Zoldra/cathe or anyone from DE 2.0, just not Timi. I’ll miss scruffy.

How dare you speak against Sieran! She gave her life for Lion’s Arch and all of Tyria!