Please let us skip Living Story Dialogue

in Living World

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

I went through the entire season 3 to do some achievements and it was such a chore to actually stick with it. Please let us skip endless, monotonous npc dialogue. At one point I actually had time to go to the toilet and make a coffee and a sandwhich and two npc’s were STILL yaking!

So as you launch the expansion and move into the 4th season of living story, please give us the option of skipping this borefest. It’s painful enough having to sit through the juvenile writing once, but on achievement runs, it becomes absolutely excruciating.

in Living World

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Absolutely agree. If the achievements require to finish same instance multiple times there should be option to skip all the chatter.

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

And a restart button near all the scenes and battles that have achievements. Please. We’ve been asking for this since Season 2, and we’ve mostly been told “the tech is complicated.” I’m not sure I’m buying that.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Living World

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I went through the entire season 3 to do some achievements and it was such a chore to actually stick with it. Please let us skip endless, monotonous npc dialogue. At one point I actually had time to go to the toilet and make a coffee and a sandwhich and two npc’s were STILL yaking!

Hah, the exact same thing here, just last weekend!

A skip option would really be a true QoL update.

in Living World

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

This has been brought up many times and they pretty much said they can’t. They need those lengthy dialogues and cutscenes to set up the mission.

It’s more or less serving the purpose of a curtain in a play, and its a biproduct of the game being an MMO that runs on servers insteads of an offline game. The last I heard there was no viable workaround or solution.

What we actually need is more functional retry motes, in every mission.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Definitely this. At the end of the instances, or perhaps at certain steps, there could be a mote that rewinds the instance to just before that encounter or something. That should help some of the pain, even if we’d still listen to some of the dialogue.

in Living World

FogLeg.9354

Or they could just stop making these long instances with multiple bosses and hours of dialogue at the start. Make each boss fight/achievement thingy separate instance that can be played through faster, and also move all the NPC talk to end of the fight so if you fail you can quickly jump out and restart.

in Living World

Posted by: Dakurus Sunfire.9157

Dakurus Sunfire.9157

This doesn’t do anything to address the fact that if you want the rewards on multiple characters, you have to sit through the dialogue and theatricals over and over again. I don’t understand why they can’t just use the system they had in Personal Story with those little animated sequences you could skip. Is animating it too expensive for their budget or something?

in Living World

FogLeg.9354

Is animating it too expensive for their budget or something?

Yes. I am fairly sure it was brought up when first content without cutscenes launched.

in Living World

Ashantara.8731

This has been brought up many times and they pretty much said they can’t. They need those lengthy dialogues and cutscenes to set up the mission.

It’s more or less serving the purpose of a curtain in a play, and its a biproduct of the game being an MMO that runs on servers insteads of an offline game. The last I heard there was no viable workaround or solution.

Of course there is: Give us back those sweet dialogue cutscenes from the original campaign! They can be skipped, no problem.

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Of course there is: Give us back those sweet dialogue cutscenes from the original campaign! They can be skipped, no problem.

Which the overwhelming feedback was from the players that they were largely disliked. Sure, there are players who do like them, but they changed them based on feedback.

I’m sure they are looking at workarounds, but going back to the old way is unlikely an option.

in Living World

Rauderi.8706

Which the overwhelming feedback was from the players that they were largely disliked. Sure, there are players who do like them, but they changed them based on feedback.

I’m sure they are looking at workarounds, but going back to the old way is unlikely an option.

While the old Personal Story way did feel like a lame visual novel, I’m not getting much of an immersive experience out of the newer approach, and it doesn’t let me skip dialogue I’ve heard before.

Unfortunately, the ability to replay scenes or retry difficult achievements trumps my desire for a more free storytelling experience.

Best compromise I could think of would be animated cutscenes unless there is actually a need for player action.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Living World

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

I agree 100% get so tired of cut scene’s that can’t be skipped.

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

in Living World

Ashantara.8731

Then, at least, they should provide us with the emotes we are missing out on since the old dialogue cutscene mechanics was canned:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Facial-Expressions-more-Emotes/

in Living World

Posted by: Grimegg.1297

Grimegg.1297

This post needs more attention. I do hope ANET gives it. Unskippable 2-4 mins talking sessions which are exactly the same are nothing more than annoying after the first 2-3 times.

in Living World

Posted by: Knight In Shining Armor.1708

Knight In Shining Armor.1708

Can’t get the Precision Blade achievement because every time I try I have to listen to meetings and introductions then get sworn in to the shining blade. By then I’m bored with the whole endeavor.

a retry mote would be nice here.

in Living World

Rauderi.8706

Can’t get the Precision Blade achievement because every time I try I have to listen to meetings and introductions then get sworn in to the shining blade. By then I’m bored with the whole endeavor.

a retry mote would be nice here.

Yup. Not going to retry that achievement, or anything out of Season 2. When the achievements are “don’t get hit”, something that can be screwed up in a single second out of a five-minute fight, and the punishment is restarting 10 minutes of story..

That’s not humane design, ANet. And that’s shameful.

Many alts; handle it!

in Living World

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

Cutscene/conversation skipping and restart motes for achievement-related fights should be an absolute must in all future content, and it’s baffling that LS3 lacks them seeing as how at least some fights in LS2 had motes. (The one in Glint’s lair is the only episode I achievement-completed for mastery points, so I don’t know about the rest.)

That insipid mesmer passion play in the last episode of LS3 is a particularly bad offender because not only do you have to sit through all the lengthy yackity-yack and ritual torture beforehand, you also get thrown into combat right afterwards. Meaning you can’t even tab out and come back five minutes later but have to sit through the whole kitten thing every time.

in Living World

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

I agree that we should have the option to skip through cutscenes and dialogue when playing the story more than once. I wouldn’t mind being unable to skip during the first play-through, but it eats up way too much game time and free time when you play on other characters. (Also, I simply hate most of the Living Story dialogue and characters, so I don’t want to hear any of that madness more than once.)

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

in Living World

Posted by: Despond.2174

Despond.2174

Signed everyone. Some achievements I don’t have the heart purely because any fail is another 10 min if dialogue.

in Living World

Rauderi.8706

Signed everyone. Some achievements I don’t have the heart purely because any fail is another 10 min if dialogue.

. . .after making one simple mistake like “getting hit”. Such BS. :\

Many alts; handle it!

in Living World

Posted by: Cheby Shev.4671

Cheby Shev.4671

bump .. bored to tears at the way the dialog is presented

in Living World

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

It does no favors to your argument to be so dismissive of the admittedly less than impressive writing.

Personally, I think the issue is that we need less achievements in story instances. Period.

And those that ARE in story instances should not count toward the meta achievement.

in Living World

Rauderi.8706

It does no favors to your argument to be so dismissive of the admittedly less than impressive writing.

Personally, I think the issue is that we need less achievements in story instances. Period.

And those that ARE in story instances should not count toward the meta achievement.

Mockery of the storyline aside, not having the story be skippable while there are achievements in the instance is a sign of inhumane design.

Good design would follow “fail faster,” by having motes and a reset option.

I’m not against having achievements in story instances, but maybe you’re right. If the dev team can’t program restart motes near achievements, then maybe they should stop putting them in story instances.

Many alts; handle it!

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

well, since i get kicked down to ask to remove the LA intro video and stop porting new characters to a different place, i say continue with not letting the story skip.
let ppl suffer as ppl want me to suffer, feel the pain of non-skip able things.

in Living World

Posted by: Frenzify.6832

Frenzify.6832

Sorry to bump a thread, but it’s gotten to the point where if I’m going for an achievement in a chapter I’ve already done before, I just pull out my headphones and listen to some music instead, because listening to dialogue that I hate over and over again just to do an achievement in one part of the chapter is not fun at all.

in Living World

Ashantara.8731

I am playing through the content for the sixth time, and now I am always continuing to explore the map (if the dialogue happens outside of an instanced story mission) while my character is still engaged in a vivid dialogue with some NPC. Since dialogues work even kilometers away, I explored all of Ember Bay that way, making use of the time so I wouldn’t have to waste my time just standing there and listening to the same blahblah.

In story instances, I tend to go watch the news, visit the bathroom, grab something to eat, or text message a friend — sometimes several of those things, because that’s how long those dialogues drag on.

It’s rather ridiculous. A skip option is mandatory!

P.S. Don’t ask me about some of the Season 2 story achievements. Take the “World Summit” one for instance. You have to go through the whole march and speeches and discussions again and again, because the fight is at the end of that story instance and you can’t skip forward, not even during the use of the challenge mote.

(edited by Ashantara.8731)