Possibility of a new playable race?

in Living World

Posted by: Dante.3780

Dante.3780

I really would like to see tengu as playable race, they’ve alredy Dominion of Winds very nice positioned near low lvl areas, so i guess implementing them would be easier than for any other (new or existing) race.

For class it’d be a bit harder due to balance, but i really hope for Dervish and Ritualist to come back to Tyria

What do you guys think? Is ANet going to surprise us with a new race during season 2 of a Living World?

in Living World

Posted by: NinjaChris.9340

NinjaChris.9340

There have been a lot of posts devoted to this topic eversince launch.

Tengu, Largos, and Kodan would all lend themselves great to being playable races, but:
- The Kodan will probably be introduced once we take the fight to Jormag.
- The Largos will probably be introduced once we get more info on the Deep Sea Dragon and underwater combat is made engaging.
- The Tengu will probably be introduced once Primordus becomes more of a threat, since the Dominon of Winds is already having trouble with destroyers burrowing through and underneath its walls.

When these things will happen is anyone’s guess, though.

in Living World

Posted by: Fenar.4025

Fenar.4025

Dwarves are a real option with Primordius. We all know there are people who would love to play one.

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

The Tengu were originally going to be a 6th playable race. I believe there was commentary on the, ‘Making of,’ DVD that came in the physical collector’s edition of the game. I didn’t get that copy, but I know people who did. I don’t recall why the Tengu were cut from the final product.

Personally? I’m glad they were. I can’t see them really being that interesting of a race. I’d rather see a new race crop up. That, or an obviously magical race as we really don’t have a race where magic is a part of their culture, society, and biology.

Humans – A little bit of everything
Asura – Magic and Technology with an emphasis on Intellect
Charr – War and Technology with three legions dealing in Combat, Engineering, and Stealth
Norn – Strength and Personal Honor with a touch of hedonism (they have a LOT of parties)
Sylvari – Nature and Curiosity really dominate their culture

I can’t see the Tengu bringing something unique to the selection of races.

in Living World

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

The biggest problems with the Tengu is that the Tengu are basically “Parrot Charr” aka: Their racial traits and personality types are almost exactly the same, they are just bird versions of Charr with less technology and more Samurai stuff, but otherwise, their actual personality types are exactly the same.

The Largos are more likely to be added as a playable race primarily for 3 reasons:

1. Actual humanoid bodies with unique animations for male and female on land.
2. Easier to make into a playable species modeling wise and timing wise since most of the real challenge would be for their wings and how to implement them in game mechanics.
3. Lore Wise, the Largos have a fresher outlook on their back story, they add a mystery that the other five races lack, they are a race of underwater “Predator” inspired fellows that have a fondness of hunting, assassination and secrecy, which makes them the “Dark Hero” trope we don’t currently have among the 5 races of Tyria.
4. Adding Largos would also be the perfect way to refine Underwater Combat giving a heavily underwater centric expansion to help give Underwater Combat more value in the game.
5. The Tengu at present are more xenophobic than ever, its actually more likely they may end up becoming antagonists than allies, at least until they are subdued.
6. The Tengu don’t really have any interesting lore going for them, since they were added mostly as a Cantha thing which means the real strength of their lore actually came from the Canthan Empire fondly trying to obliterate them.
7. Bird People Vs Elf-Like Sea Assassins, come on?

On a final note, I don’t think the Tengu are a bad race, but they need to be more interesting, presently, they are just bird people, with very minimalistic lore, even in Gw1 they were never particularly “deep” or engaging, so if they do become playable, they need a major lore overhaul to make them more interesting and also to give them some diversity from the Charr which presently they are too similar to.

in Living World

Posted by: Tyme.1067

Tyme.1067

The only problem with mentioning Dwarves as a playable race?

They can’t reproduce.

They’re all dying.

They sacrificed their race to save the world in GW1:EotN

Tyme
-the Virtuoso | 80 Mesmer
-the Mercurial | 80 Daredevil

in Living World

Posted by: LeDuc.1436

LeDuc.1436

of the races mentioned:

tengu the tengu are distrustful of outsiders, and we would have to prove ourselves to them. Until we as the outside communities do something major for the Tengu I don’t see them allowing other races inside of the Dominion of the wind. Primordus would have to be gone after more directly for the tengu to consider opening the gates.

Kodan Possibly the most likely to be playable. Ever since they have been pushed south, the Kodan have learned to rely on the player races in their time of need, no doubt hearing how the other races have dealt with one elder dragon. I expect that if this were to happen, the Kodan would likely become a playable race upon dealing with Jormag.

largos Much like the Tengu, the Largos are a secretive species, and little is known about them. Much like the other races, the Largos have an elder Dragon to deal with; “Bubbles.” The problem with the Largos is that “Bubbles” is hardly influencing the game as compared to the other dragons. We’ve seen Bubbles influence cause the Quaggan and Karka to move but that is about it.

Dwarves The Dwarves are more or less an extinct race. Only 1 remains on the surface.

in Living World

Vexander.9850

Would be nice if Arena.net decided to make some new races as well. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind, say, Largos, but underwater combat is ultimately a gimmick in the game and rarely satisfying. I’ve only ever been able to enjoy it on a Thief, no other class feels -capable- in the water.

If it were me, I’d add new races with expansions and try to make them fit somehow.

Cantha: Kitsunes. A race of magical fox people who have been a myth in Cantha for ages. They often disguise themselves as humans, and tend to be quite skilled in creating illusions. They continue to remain hidden to Cantha due to its human supremacist policy, but when Cantha comes under threat, choose to reveal themselves to protect it, allying with the other races.

Elona: Phoenixes. A race of winged humanoids who live in the skies and mountains of Elona. As Palawa Joko’s influence spreads over the lands, these people who had remained unaware of others for many ages decided to combat the threat he posed. Discovering that the world has many races, they show an innate curiosity and friendliness towards them, readily allying with them.

in Living World

Dante.3780

I think neither Kitsunes or Phoenixes would fit in Cantha/Elona, they seem too mythical for gw universe. Though Tyria (the planet) is a huge place, we’ve seen only small part of it through gw1/gw2. I wonder if ANet would let us explore other continents in the future

in Living World

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

your phoenix idea is pretty much pretty looking tengu, kitsune are slim charr

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

in Living World

Vexander.9850

I think neither Kitsunes or Phoenixes would fit in Cantha/Elona, they seem too mythical for gw universe. Though Tyria (the planet) is a huge place, we’ve seen only small part of it through gw1/gw2. I wonder if ANet would let us explore other continents in the future

Yeah I know they don’t exactly fit necessarily. Doesn’t mean I can’t make something up or something. Anet will ultimately add new playable races or not, and bring in new NPC races or not. Considering how much other mythology you can find in Tyria, I wouldn’t be surprised to see either one come up sooner or later. Pretty sure there are phoenixes (birds) in Cantha as well, and in GW1. The concept would just be making a race out of them. Kind of angel-like, in appearance.

I wasn’t aware the Charr were a race whose very biology incorporated magic, or who lived amongst humans, disguised as them. Or that Phoenix, winged humans in essence, have clawed feet and hands or were extreme isolationists. If you read what I wrote, you’d see how badly wrong you are. Unless you’re just looking at, “fur and feathers.”

in Living World

CaptainVanguard.4925

I actually would like the idea that on the Isle of Janthir, Surprise surprise, the Mursaat become an anti-villain playable race, in the most ironic of twists they agree to help us, bitterly, and grudgingly, and remain distrusted, but allied to the races of Tyria on loose terms.

in Living World

Vexander.9850

I actually would like the idea that on the Isle of Janthir, Surprise surprise, the Mursaat become an anti-villain playable race, in the most ironic of twists they agree to help us, bitterly, and grudgingly, and remain distrusted, but allied to the races of Tyria on loose terms.

I’d totally be up for this.

in Living World

CaptainVanguard.4925

Its actually not impossible to assume that the Mursaat may yet be alive considering we only wiped out the ones that held regency over Kryta, not only that but they DID fight the dragons in the past, it’d be the perfect irony.

The enemy of my enemy is my ally, for now.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The Tengu will almost certainly be the next playable race, if ANet ever releases one. As others have said, they were originally slated to be the 6th playable race at launch, but got cut due to lack of time. (This was stated in the art book that came with the Collector’s Edition.)

When designing each of the races, each race got 3 “Pros” and 3 “Cons”. These serve as cornerstones for themes that the race is supposed to embody in the game that gives them a unique “feel”. The Charr, for example, got “industry”, “unity” and “ferocity” as their Pros, but “savagery” and two other things (which I can’t recall at the moment) as Cons.

The Tengu would most likely get “honorable” and “tradition” as two of their Pros, but “isolationist” and possibly “intolerant” as their Cons.

in Living World

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

If there were new races to be added into the game, I’d probably say Tengu, Kodan then Largos, in that order of probability.

Tengu first because they’ve been selected as a probable race by devs in the past, already have a strong lore foundation, have a city that’s easily workable into the current world, can be easily customised and are a land-dwelling race.

Kodan next, because for the same reasons above, excepting that they’ve just been newly introduced into the lore.

Largos third, because they don’t really have any of the points above, but their only saving grace is that they look kittenly cool.

Of course, ANet, being the creators of the game, have their own ideas of what’s workable or not into the game, so who’s to say? :p

in Living World

Posted by: Midnight Gypsy.9360

Midnight Gypsy.9360

If there were new races to be added into the game, I’d probably say Tengu, Kodan then Largos, in that order of probability.

Tengu first because they’ve been selected as a probable race by devs in the past, already have a strong lore foundation, have a city that’s easily workable into the current world, can be easily customised and are a land-dwelling race.

Kodan next, because for the same reasons above, excepting that they’ve just been newly introduced into the lore.

Largos third, because they don’t really have any of the points above, but their only saving grace is that they look kittenly cool.

Of course, ANet, being the creators of the game, have their own ideas of what’s workable or not into the game, so who’s to say? :p

The largos are newly intro’ed into the lore.

in Living World

Getefix.9150

I wasn’t aware the Charr were a race whose very biology incorporated magic, or who lived amongst humans, disguised as them. Or that Phoenix, winged humans in essence, have clawed feet and hands or were extreme isolationists. If you read what I wrote, you’d see how badly wrong you are. Unless you’re just looking at, “fur and feathers.”

you never said anything about no hands…. then they won’t be a playable race cause how will they hold weapons? and the charr sometimes are magic-orientated, just look at the ‘gold’ legion (what happened to calling the flame legion the ‘gold’ legion anyways?)

I suppose wasn’t that clear, I meant physically speaking (fox-people/cat-people…. meh)

if you want to create a new race – try insect-people
or maybe the races to be used in utopia

in Living World

Vexander.9850

you never said anything about no hands…. then they won’t be a playable race cause how will they hold weapons? and the charr sometimes are magic-orientated, just look at the ‘gold’ legion (what happened to calling the flame legion the ‘gold’ legion anyways?)

I suppose wasn’t that clear, I meant physically speaking (fox-people/cat-people…. meh)

if you want to create a new race – try insect-people
or maybe the races to be used in utopia

Well, to each their own. I was mostly thinking what’d be interesting. Certainly a Kitsune race would blend in well with Cantha’s culture and all. So what if they’re fox people? Kodan are bear people, Norn are shape shifters, etc… and as far as the Phoenix concept, well, they’d have hands. They’re kinda winged humans appearance wise, but I can’t see that working out anyways.

I just like making absurd suggestions.

in Living World

Heraldusluminare.2946

Don’t get me wrong, Vexander – I think the idea of having Phoenixes and Kitsune as playable races would be pretty cool… but as Getefix mentioned above, if Phoenixes were pure flying creatures, it’d be pretty hard to implement.

Just think – some bad-kitten high-level boss decided to use a knockdown skill on all surrounding players, but Phoenixes, flying high above the ground, would be like: “Haha! Can’t touch this!” then everyone would want to be a Phoenix. Mechanics would be totally screwed.

Kitsune are remotely possible as Canthan characters, but there haven’t been any lore on them (to my knowledge), so I don’t see them springing up too soon.

Also, I just want my Tengu ranger so badly. So there. XD

in Living World

Vexander.9850

Don’t get me wrong, Vexander – I think the idea of having Phoenixes and Kitsune as playable races would be pretty cool… but as Getefix mentioned above, if Phoenixes were pure flying creatures, it’d be pretty hard to implement.

Just think – some bad-kitten high-level boss decided to use a knockdown skill on all surrounding players, but Phoenixes, flying high above the ground, would be like: “Haha! Can’t touch this!” then everyone would want to be a Phoenix. Mechanics would be totally screwed.

Kitsune are remotely possible as Canthan characters, but there haven’t been any lore on them (to my knowledge), so I don’t see them springing up too soon.

Also, I just want my Tengu ranger so badly. So there. XD

Well, if Phoenix were implemented, my personal suggestion is that they’re too heavy to fly if they’re equipped for combat. So the best they can do is to glide around like, say, being on the Broom Toy. Except in combat when they have both feet on the ground, meaning knockback and knockdown mechanics and all that apply to them.

As for Kitsune, yeah it’d be something new, but I don’t think the Largos existed prior to GW2, so its not as though Arena.net is afraid of implementing new races. Certainly it seems the only option for a race other than humans coming from Cantha. You’d need a race capable of blending in with the humans, and given RL Kitsune mythology and stuff, that’s right up their alley.

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

Phoenixes were already present in GW1. They were charmable animals for Ranger pets, so it’s highly unlikely they’d become a playable race.

in Living World

Vexander.9850

Phoenixes were already present in GW1. They were charmable animals for Ranger pets, so it’s highly unlikely they’d become a playable race.

Weren’t bears and various forms of felines also available for GW1? Didn’t stop the Kodan from being a race or the Charr from becoming a playable race =D

But yeah, like I said, I doubt Arena.net will do that. I just like to make outrageous ideas. That, and let’s be honest, in almost all MMOs, people have always wanted a -winged- race.

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

Well, if we were after a winged, bird race, there’s the Tengu…

in Living World

Vexander.9850

Well, if we were after a winged, bird race, there’s the Tengu…

They aren’t really winged though. They’re about as winged as Malfurion Stormrage is.

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

As who is? Sounds like a Charr name, but I can’t say I’ve run into him/her before.

We both know that a true winged race would never get introduced. It would require a complete overhaul of the game engine to support flight and aerial combat, so we can pretty much rule it out from ever happening. The best we’d get is one with cosmetic wings like the Largos, but such races would have massive clipping issues with armor and weapons.

in Living World

Vexander.9850

As who is? Sounds like a Charr name, but I can’t say I’ve run into him/her before.

We both know that a true winged race would never get introduced. It would require a complete overhaul of the game engine to support flight and aerial combat, so we can pretty much rule it out from ever happening. The best we’d get is one with cosmetic wings like the Largos, but such races would have massive clipping issues with armor and weapons.

He’s from World of Warcraft. Has wings on his arms like the Tengu do. Likewise, I wouldn’t implement the phoenix with aerial combat or flight. Quite simply, that’d be lorewise a restricted thing. Special armor only the government can give out or something that lets you fight in the air. So, it’d be a strictly NPC thing. Adventuring phoenixes (Players) would be able to glide instead of walk, like how charr run on all fours when they run.

in Living World

Zaxares.5419

Ah. Never played WoW, so that’s why I’ve never heard of him.

It would need to be a really, really convincing idea for said winged characters to not fly though. What’s to stop them from simply flying around when they’re out and about in the wilderness? Or if the players are roleplaying criminal/outcast phoenixes that don’t give a quaggan about laws or regulations? That’s why I still think it’ll never happen; it would stretch believability too much.

in Living World

Vexander.9850

Ah. Never played WoW, so that’s why I’ve never heard of him.

It would need to be a really, really convincing idea for said winged characters to not fly though. What’s to stop them from simply flying around when they’re out and about in the wilderness? Or if the players are roleplaying criminal/outcast phoenixes that don’t give a quaggan about laws or regulations? That’s why I still think it’ll never happen; it would stretch believability too much.

They’d have to get the special armor and training necessary from their government that would allow them to fly and fight at the same time. Besides, the Gliding animation pretty much would be flying.

in Living World

Posted by: zexion.5842

zexion.5842

The most likely race to become playable next would be the Kodan. It would be really easy to fit them into the current personal story timeline.

Any different race like the tengu would either have to have a revamp of the personal story or their own unique personal story and I just don’t see that happening.

in Living World

Dante.3780

You’ll have to add Personal Story only up to lvl 30, then (with orders) it’s same for everyone (and feels less “personal”, besides). It seems our next LS can be focused in Maguuma Jungle, so i dont see Kodan coming up soon.

On the other hand, Tengu saw us fighting against “Great Enemy with the Drill” from their wall, so maybe they’ll change up their mind and let us explore Dominion of Winds as worthy

(edited by Dante.3780)

in Living World

Getefix.9150

dante, they didn’t come to help us so why would we be seen as worthy?

hey what about the hylek/heket? could they be playable? what about dredge? (say theres a community of dredge that have completed their revolution against communism) would that work?

in Living World

Dante.3780

They had no reason to come and help those who are unworthy. Shooting hails of arrows down the wall was enough to stop invaders from reaching wall itself

But:
They saw us trying to save people who would have died in the city covered in miasma
They saw us fighting invaders and saw our success

What does it mean? Well, honor is a thing among Tengu, i guess we’ve shown them that we have it

in Living World

Heraldusluminare.2946

Lol, I forgot about the Dredge and Hylek.

However, Tengu, Kodan and Largos rate high above the Hylek and Dredge on the coolness factor (IMHO), so I vote for those three races first. :P

in Living World

Posted by: crosknight.3041

crosknight.3041

i want tengu to be playable, friend said if they become playable he’ll buy me a top hat for him lol

in Living World

CaptainVanguard.4925

Just as a note, they already said they are trashing the old cinematic style which means that a new race will have a radically different personal story style than the previous races, and that also means, we wont likely have them share the storyline the current five races do.

They will probably be some kind of great big nod to the living story as a means of encouraging people to recap what was forgotten, which would be interesting.

Again though, Mursaat would be awesome, Largos too.

Tengu and Kodan? If they refine their lore to make them less of a one dimensional stereotype, yes, but until then, id rather have sea elves, or wannabe demi-gods, than furies.

in Living World

Heraldusluminare.2946

If Largos didn’t have those gigantic manta-wings, I’d probably accept it. Having something so awesome compared to other races isn’t fair.

Seriously though, I wonder if Largos are more maneuverable underwater than the other races are? If so, it’d probably give them an advantage.

in Living World

Posted by: GRexCarolinii.9604

GRexCarolinii.9604

Just as a note, they already said they are trashing the old cinematic style which means that a new race will have a radically different personal story style than the previous races, and that also means, we wont likely have them share the storyline the current five races do.

They will probably be some kind of great big nod to the living story as a means of encouraging people to recap what was forgotten, which would be interesting.

Also: the personal story of the other 5 races is set before the living story
another one would have to be set after; and (especially if we think of the Tengu who were right next to Lion’s) so a new personal story would likely have to be set after, and thus reference pieces of the living story

in Living World

Posted by: Leshain.6720

Leshain.6720

The Largos would be nice, they’re close to humans aesthetically, yet still unique with the pale blue skin, strange alien like wings, and unique armor. They also appear to have a racial teleporting skill.

I presume they’d have the best and most op underwater skills for obvious reasons. If i were a betting man, i’d say they’d be playable eventually, simply because imo, the new dragon that the annoying tree woke up was the underwater dragon.

in Living World

Getefix.9150

i think the living story is something that yo can play but doesnt affect the fight against the dragons, sure it leads up to it, but new players deciding on tengu will hear about what made them open up, doesnt mean they have to have played through it – its like the novels – people dont need to have read ghosts of ascalon to be able to play as charr – its just extra lore

largos imo would look weird – these huge wings would clip through everything and would look even weirder if someone is using holographic wings back item

in Living World

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

6. The Tengu don’t really have any interesting lore going for them, since they were added mostly as a Cantha thing which means the real strength of their lore actually came from the Canthan Empire fondly trying to obliterate them.

Firstly, I agree 100% with this point. I think Tengu would be better rolled out if a Canthan expansion ever happened. Maybe helping them re-establish a role in Cantha after the injustice that occurred, either as a foreign visitor, a domestic rebel or a Tengu.

Secondly though I would disagree they don’t have much lore. Quests in GW1, including the Tengu Accords and Winds of Change quests, gave some insight to the Tengu. While they are a bit like the Charr in a way, they are also a bit like norn in their sense of honor and loyalty. Comparing them as bird-Charr seems a bit off.

Basically, the Tengu can be seen as stereotypical samurai – loyal to death to those who prove themselves worthy of their loyalty (such as Talon’s loyalty to the humans after Togo’s exploits in the Tengu Accords). Then there are the outcasts who only have loyalty for their fellow Tengu, not necessarily aspiring to flame legion shamans or anything.

in Living World

Cuddy.6247

The only problem with mentioning Dwarves as a playable race?

They can’t reproduce.

They’re all dying.

They sacrificed their race to save the world in GW1:EotN

This makes me sad because it’s true. I only wish they could pull some BS out to make dwarves an option without causing a complete mental ragefest through the community.

in Living World

Cuddy.6247

Why not? The Charr made a turnaround. I wouldn’t say the Charr were always “good in their own way” either, considering that they invaded Ascalon, Kryta and Orr – not necessarily in that order.

in Living World

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

I really hope they don’t add any new races. GW2 was created and balanced around five playable races that each have an advanced, comprehensive culture and beliefs. Keep in mind that just because something seems cool, fun, or interesting doesn’t mean it can or even should become a feature. For example, some people want the ritualist from GW1 to come back, but the ritualist’s spirits and bundle items (ashes) are now features unique to the engineer. Likewise, paragons aren’t coming back because their shouts and fire-based attacks have been given to warriors and guardians, and dervishes’ faith-based attacks are now the guardian’s virtues (not to mention that dervishes are followers of the human gods, whereas Norn are animists, Sylvari are agnostics, Asura are Buddhist/rationalists and Charr are atheists).

Tengu aren’t developed enough, Kodan are too isolated and look too similar to one another, Largos also have too-similar character models, live underwater, and might end up being villains, phoenixes are tamable pets, not civilized beings, and kitsune have absolutely NO foundation in the lore. Are some of these ideas interesting? Absolutely. But it takes more than being interesting to justify adding something as significant and difficult to implement as new playable races.

in Living World

Posted by: Harak.8397

Harak.8397

You don’t want Tengu or any other non human-like race as playable. I say this as a Charr player. (Especially since the Tengu seem to share alot of similarities with Charr modelwise. )

in Living World

Dante.3780

I see your point Equinox, but race is not really a factor in PvE balance.
Mesmer, Dervish, Paragon, Ritualist – those professions are unique to gw universe (though dervishes existed in real world), ANet can always come up with new idea and i’d love them to do so

Firstly, I agree 100% with this point. I think Tengu would be better rolled out if a Canthan expansion ever happened. Maybe helping them re-establish a role in Cantha after the injustice that occurred, either as a foreign visitor, a domestic rebel or a Tengu.

Secondly though I would disagree they don’t have much lore. Quests in GW1, including the Tengu Accords and Winds of Change quests, gave some insight to the Tengu. While they are a bit like the Charr in a way, they are also a bit like norn in their sense of honor and loyalty. Comparing them as bird-Charr seems a bit off.

Basically, the Tengu can be seen as stereotypical samurai – loyal to death to those who prove themselves worthy of their loyalty (such as Talon’s loyalty to the humans after Togo’s exploits in the Tengu Accords). Then there are the outcasts who only have loyalty for their fellow Tengu, not necessarily aspiring to flame legion shamans or anything.

Agreed.

(edited by Dante.3780)

in Living World

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

(…)

What do you guys think? Is ANet going to surprise us with a new race during season 2 of a Living World?

Tengu is a possible new rece as those amphibious comrades, it look like they have a hostile relation with the asuras.

I have my doubts that will have any more races for players, if so might be those 2.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

I really would like to see tengu as playable race, they’ve alredy Dominion of Winds very nice positioned near low lvl areas, so i guess implementing them would be easier than for any other (new or existing) race.

For class it’d be a bit harder due to balance, but i really hope for Dervish and Ritualist to come back to Tyria

Tengu would be a great race to add to the GW2 lineup because they’ve been around the mainstream Tyrians for so long. I don’t see them as “parrot charr” tho. The Charr are an atheist, war-based society. Tengu society is very very different from the big cats. Tengu are the ninja / samurai race of the Guild Wars series, so there is a good chance they would have a deity that they serve. I can see their society being alot like Edo Period Japan (group-oriented with a strict hierarchy. See this link for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edo_society#Four_class_order). I think it would make all the GW1 Factions / Cantha fans really happy to have the Asian element back in the game.

In my view, the Tengu have more grace and finesse than the charr. In GW1, those birdies were fast, fast, FAST! I used to freak out whenever I saw a group of them rushing towards my female human fire ele.

On a different note: If we do get another playable race, I hope it’s a comic relief race (mainly Skritt and Quaggans). This game definitely needs it. In my view, the LS got too serious at times, and I’m referring to the updates between Nightmare Tower and Escape from LA.

If I wanted to play a grim-dark game, I would play Skyrim or Diablo. As a gamer, I tend to be attracted to games that mix serious stuff with comedy. I’m also attracted to games that can adds a unique art style to a realistic game. Realistic games (Read: too much like RL) may look good on a developer’s resume, but it makes the game boring at times. If I want realism, I would play Saints Row or Secret World.

I realize that some people hate comedy in their game. For example: I’ve read posts where people criticize the funny stuff the Grove NPCs say. These are the type of people that want every game to be super serious like Skyrim. Comedy is necessary for releasing the tension that the player feels during the stressful parts of the game, and it helps to keep the audience’s attention. Anyways, in my professional opinion, I say we need to focus on making this game unique. If it is too similar to other games, then people won’t have a reason to pick up GW2. I’m sure alot of the non-Anet devs who play this game would agree with me.

In closing, if another race is added to the game, I hope it’s a group that would make this game unique.

(edited by kta.6502)

in Living World

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

I see your point Equinox, but race is not really a factor in PvE balance.
Mesmer, Dervish, Paragon, Ritualist – those professions are unique to gw universe (though dervishes existed in real world), ANet can always come up with new idea and i’d love them to do so

Agreed.

It’s not about balance, it’s about spending tons of resources modeling, texturing, and writing a story that would have to take into account the PS and LS so far. If they wanted to add tengu, they should have done so at the beginning, when the game was first released. Adding the tengu now would have to involve tons of retconning (especially in light of the LS), adding tons of tengu to the world in general so that they’re equally as present as the current five playable races, and adding more hearts and dynamic events to flesh out their culture.

Would you rather have an extremely shallow sixth playable race, or none at all? I’d prefer none at all.

As for new classes, fine…but you have to sell me on a unique class mechanic that hasn’t been used for any of the existing classes, and wouldn’t be better served by adding new weapons or existing weapons to classes that don’t currently have access to them. Monk (martial arts) class? Just add hand-to-hand weapons like brass knuckles, gauntlets, or the cestus. Stances have already been taken by the elementalist’s attunements, ki-building has been taken by the warrior’s adrenaline, and any resource-based, self-regenerating skill setup belongs to the thief, so to reuse these systems on a new class would be overly repetitive. Ritualist? Add some more weapon skills to the necro and/or ranger to flesh out the spiritual side of things, you don’t need a whole new class to add more skills, especially when nature spirits and turrets, especially when traited, more than cover the traditional ritualist spirits. Cannoneer? Give us a new cannon weapon, or give rifles to existing classes, just because there are only 2 heavy classes doesn’t justify creating a whole new class “just because.” Magic knight/spellsword? Already covered by the guardian (and possibly mesmer), and if you mean a heavy armor user that taps into life-force powers or elemental spells, the elementalist and necro are already the classes for those domains, so it would be unnecessarily duplicative.

(edited by Equinox.4968)

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

It’s not about balance, it’s about spending tons of resources modeling, texturing, and writing a story that would have to take into account the PS and LS so far. If they wanted to add tengu, they should have done so at the beginning, when the game was first released.

Anet does have the modeling and texturing resources for the Tengu. The birds were in the last game, so they should have the files for them.

Anet does use Maya and Zbrush. Both programs are standard in the worldwide video game industry. The files can be imported into every existing video game software program (Unity, Unreal, Havok, etc).

I know that Anet uses Havok for GW2 (http://www.havok.com/products/physics), so it wouldn’t be hard to import the stuff from Maya and Zbrush.