Question about the device

in Living World

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Ok i have been having a really hard time believing the story lines since HOT.

Zhaitan ok i get that we killed a Elder dragon after years of work and slowly starving him and using incredibly powerful weapons. I believe after that fight Trahearne said something like we “lost most of the pact” which to me is over 50% of our armed forces.

Completely believable as much as the world doesnt show the effects of the Zhaitan fight.

The morde saga was horrible and ill just skip it.

Now we just had a new episode and my question becomes how is Taimi making this machine that kills 2 elder dragons at the same time?

She makes comments like “even i dont know how it works”, what?

I dont know if im the commander anymore or if the commander is just some character i control but we are now fighting gods and just rushing into it alone?

I am seriously so confused on the lily pads we jumped here. We keep running into magical beings who just give us the answers to things. Like rata novus in morde saga, Trahearne can help us kill morde ……… and now Tami made a machine that can kill both dragons by ???

When we first went to some of the new maps like Ember Bay people were dying like Taimis assistant.

I would just like some answers on how we are still pushing forward so strongly and running into all these beings that just help us out of no where.

My biggest question is what makes the magic we are using to kill 2 elder dragons at the same time? If we have this ability how is it that Balth can come right into our Lab, shut down or Way Point, teleport it to a new area, where i get into a volcano where Taimi magically appears?

If anyone could share i would love to see/read the parts im missing.

in Living World

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

They aren’t dead, Primordus and Jormag were put in their ‘pre-awakening state’ which to me, sounds like they were put into a hibernation. Taimi’s machine can kill the 2 elder dragons by forcing their energy to interact with the opposite dragon, but we realised at the last second that if we kill anymore dragons the world will be destroyed. Then Balthazar steals the machine and uses it against primordus. Since we don’t want the dragons to die, we are fighting against Balthazar to make sure he doesn’t destroy the world by killing a dragon.

in Living World

kdaddy.5431

They aren’t dead, Primordus and Jormag were put in their ‘pre-awakening state’ which to me, sounds like they were put into a hibernation. Taimi’s machine can kill the 2 elder dragons by forcing their energy to interact with the opposite dragon, but we realised at the last second that if we kill anymore dragons the world will be destroyed. Then Balthazar steals the machine and uses it against primordus. Since we don’t want the dragons to die, we are fighting against Balthazar to make sure he doesn’t destroy the world by killing a dragon.

Yes but how?

How does this machine harness magic energy that is unique to each dragon and force itself against each other?

I dont want to reach about the balance because thats obviously something Anet has for the future but are we not suppose to know how things work?

If your a cook and a guests ask me ( the waiter) whats in your special, i should know whats in it right?

I understand the base points of the story, dragons bad/ god of war bad/ killing dragons bad- im just no under standing the how.

How many ex-machina ghosts things will pop up to help us for no real reason? The commander literally says something like “tami im helping my ghost friends out” and taimi is like ’HUH" and im sitting here watching it like HUH?

For instance Queen Jenna made the Bayonettes to help protect Tyria, scarlett turned them against us. Thats another cases where we are behind tech wise to the enemy.

Here we are again where we have this device uses dragon magic of sort against one another. Can we not use this for other things? The other dragons are absorbing the magic to make there minions stronger.

Can we not do anything with it?

After Zhaitan and Scarlett i simply have more questions about the story then anything else.

For instance Braham does some research and finds a lost artifact, boom can hurt jormags tooth now.

Taimi creates a device that can kill 2 dragons?

We have engaged into battle with a god, we were a wolf spirit for a norn PS level and we were super OP so ill take a guess and say we shouldnt be able to fight a god 1 vs 1 and win it but we ran in there and did.

We fought a god so we could get this machine which can kill 2 dragons …… how does it do that?

in Living World

Posted by: marelooke.9708

marelooke.9708

Just want to point out that Taimi’s comment about not knowing how it works was about Omadd’s Machine, which was only a component of the device she built. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to use parts you don’t understand the inner workings of to build something else (eg. it’s not because you can’t build an engine that you can’t build a car if you find an engine lying around somewhere)

in Living World

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

Technically Omaad made the machine. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eternal_Alchemy

It’s too abstract for me to really understand it either, but essentially what she did was use Omaad’s machine and its access to the eternal alchemy to essentially combine elements of the two elder dragons to oppose their forces. I’m assuming she did this with the samples we get of Jormag and Primordus? So it’s kind of like any other alchemy, only somehow doing it with this machine caused them to interact from the source of the samples.. the elder dragons and their magic?

The whole thing is a little vague but I think it’s just one of the many larger deeper plots they have left open to expand upon in the future if they choose to.

in Living World

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

We have engaged into battle with a god, we were a wolf spirit for a norn PS level and we were super OP so ill take a guess and say we shouldnt be able to fight a god 1 vs 1 and win it but we ran in there and did.

Something so many people missed during the story is that Balthazar specifically says he lost his power. Hence why he wanted to kill Primo and steal its power.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Living World

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

Yes but how?

How does this machine harness magic energy that is unique to each dragon and force itself against each other?

I dont want to reach about the balance because thats obviously something Anet has for the future but are we not suppose to know how things work?

If your a cook and a guests ask me ( the waiter) whats in your special, i should know whats in it right?

I understand the base points of the story, dragons bad/ god of war bad/ killing dragons bad- im just no under standing the how.

How many ex-machina ghosts things will pop up to help us for no real reason? The commander literally says something like “tami im helping my ghost friends out” and taimi is like ’HUH" and im sitting here watching it like HUH?

For instance Queen Jenna made the Bayonettes to help protect Tyria, scarlett turned them against us. Thats another cases where we are behind tech wise to the enemy.

Here we are again where we have this device uses dragon magic of sort against one another. Can we not use this for other things? The other dragons are absorbing the magic to make there minions stronger.

After Zhaitan and Scarlett i simply have more questions about the story then anything else.

For instance Braham does some research and finds a lost artifact, boom can hurt jormags tooth now.

We fought a god so we could get this machine which can kill 2 dragons …… how does it do that?

How? By Anet pulling things out of nowhere just to have shocking reveals and the like. The same way everything else has worked since HoT basically. Come up with a gimmick and retrofit the story around it.

in Living World

kdaddy.5431

Just want to point out that Taimi’s comment about not knowing how it works was about Omadd’s Machine, which was only a component of the device she built. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to use parts you don’t understand the inner workings of to build something else (eg. it’s not because you can’t build an engine that you can’t build a car if you find an engine lying around somewhere)

awesome thanks for that

cptaylor.2670 thanks for the link and i will be checking it

Also yes its impossible to take something else and apply it to another thing if you dont know how it works.

For instance if you intake manifold is is not working properly it will push too much or little threw the cylinders causing other parts of the engine to break such and seals and pistons.

Just because you can change oil or spark plugs doesnt mean you know how to rebuild a engine especially with the more complex it gets, just my opinion though.

in Living World

kdaddy.5431

Something so many people missed during the story is that Balthazar specifically says he lost his power. Hence why he wanted to kill Primo and steal its power.

I caught that too but i thought he said something like he was feeling weak.

I mean by no standards do i feel the commander is exceptional. I mean DE technically did all the work for Zhaitan. Then Trahearne and 2 of DE members were still a huge reason for morde.

DE members are known for being out standing warriors and being pit fighters/ body guards/ assassins. The best among the best, the commander is kind of like a maid who follows around rich kids.

I mean many story lines is you got someone drunk and stole a map, or you asked the wolf spirit for help or killed a griffon for a powerful weapon.

Zooja makes the weapon to kill Zhaitan, Logan plays super hero in the dungeon, Rytlock morphs from the mists, taimi makes all your research ideas and Braham damage jormags tooth by finding a lost artifact.

I personally dont feel any attachment to the commander and just looking at the story from the start.

I kind of feel like Vin Diesel in a Fast and the Furious movie, sorry if im coming off wrong but man im really looking for some actual info or conflict for the actual characters.

During HOT when Eir died, Braham was fine but now he all upset? And its not even Norn culture to be like that?

Canach and Caithe had so little to do with HOT in the actual story?

Kasmeer being afraid was the first real thing to me. The commander as usual said something like well we got to kill the dragons and the gods now.

I mean if you had to play MJ 1 vs 1 in basketball right now to save your life, wouldnt be a little worried? Dude is over 50 but he was one of the greatest ever, if you are the commander. You are not worried 1 bit and i think thats why people glossed over that comment.

in Living World

kdaddy.5431

Yes but how?

How? By Anet pulling things out of nowhere just to have shocking reveals and the like. The same way everything else has worked since HoT basically. Come up with a gimmick and retrofit the story around it.

I was hoping for some info i didnt know.

And thanks for the comments because i actually got some

Its getting a bit frustrating being how well GW2 core story was. With 8 dungeon storys with the personal story and seeing Zhaitans corruption on Orr especially when Orr used to be a super hard place to play at. That was when it was its best, it wasnt even lame to me like HOT.

SO many animals in the HOT areas are simple but OP. Pocket raptors- have AOE damage, if you dont you might die. Must carry alot of CC or stability for things like mushrooms other wise you die. I mean in Orr you could at least dodge roll around eyes and use corners.

Im sputtering but as we keep going forward story wise in GW2. I feel like the story writers must be huge fans of The Fast and the Furious fans or love Michael Bays work.

in Living World

Posted by: Tornupto.2304

Tornupto.2304

Also yes its impossible to take something else and apply it to another thing if you dont know how it works.

As long as you know the input format, are sure that the code/machine/engine/whatever produces the correct output for your input and know how to deal with the output, you can use it. It is done while programming nearly every time. Technically you could write a code for most things on your own, but there are librarys that do certain things for you in an efficient way. You don’t necessaryly know how they do it, but you can work with it.

Same goes for Taimi and Omaads machine. Taimi knows how to deal with inputs and outputs of that machine, but she does not know what the machine does to achieve that.

in Living World

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

I dont think its anymore dragons i think is the shock in the planet from 2 dragons dying at the same time and the fact that they havve the opposite types of magic. A scenario where you kill 1 dragon at a tyme and a good chunk of that magic goes into something else other than tyria (Aurene) looks still like a good plan. And without the machine i cant find any good way to put them in sleep again.

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I agree with the OP that the story is forced and ridiculous. As I have said before, I don’t understand why Anet writes the PC doing these ridiculous things. The armies of the world were not able to deal with any of the Elder Dragons for years and years. Entire civilizations were ruined or forced to move by them (Orr, Zephyrites, Asura, Kodan, Quaggan, Norn). The army of the entire world (the Pact) was taken down by Mordremoth. Yet our PC, assisted (?) by a handful of associates, will deal with these ancient beings!

I’m tired of the silliness that my character is written into.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Lahmia.2193

The armies of the world were not able to deal with any of the Elder Dragons for years and years. Entire civilizations were ruined or forced to move by them (Orr, Zephyrites, Asura, Kodan, Quaggan, Norn).

None of them were united. That’s sort of the main theme of gw2. The Dragons are stronger than each race, but united (and with the appropriate amount of knowledge and asura tech) we are stronger.

The army of the entire world (the Pact) was taken down by Mordremoth. Yet our PC, assisted (?) by a handful of associates, will deal with these ancient beings!

This was because the Pact were overconfident. They blinded flew into the jungle and expected to win through firepower alone. It also didn’t help that the sylvari were turned when battle commenced.
We learnt the ways of the jungle and from the mistakes of the Pact. Then we allied with those who lived there and thus were able to turn the tide and defeat Mordremoth.

(edited by Lahmia.2193)

in Living World

kdaddy.5431

The armies of the world were not able to deal with any of the Elder Dragons for years and years. Entire civilizations were ruined or forced to move by them (Orr, Zephyrites, Asura, Kodan, Quaggan, Norn).

None of them were united. That’s sort of the main theme of gw2. The Dragons are stronger than each race, but united (and with the appropriate amount of knowledge and asura tech) we are stronger.

The army of the entire world (the Pact) was taken down by Mordremoth. Yet our PC, assisted (?) by a handful of associates, will deal with these ancient beings!

This was because the Pact were overconfident. They blinded flew into the jungle and expected to win through firepower alone. It also didn’t help that the sylvari were turned when battle commenced.
We learnt the ways of the jungle and from the mistakes of the Pact. Then we allied with those who lived there and thus were able to turn the tide and defeat Mordremoth.

Actually in one of the Arah explorable dungeons a group did come together. Then 1 backed out at the last second.

It made the jotun lose there magic and another race hate the race that backed out.

All of which were more powerful then we currently are as a society.

Currently we are using a machine built by someone else, using info from older races on there trial errors and even when talking to Ogden it seems that these other races the dragons defeated seemed far more advanced then us.

I have no problem with us beating Zhaitan and i hate how the Morde fight happened but its done with.

But at this point we should be feeling the effects. I mean honestly who is left to fight?

The humans are at war with each other. The Charr are constantly dealing with the ghosts of Ascalon, the norns are not a huge group of people and hundreds of millions of people have died in the past 10 years?

The elder races died or left. We have done neither and yet there is no effect. The children whos parents have not come back? How are we capable of keeping people safe and fed as we continue to explore out and create forts for these new areas.

Its one thing to say we came together to defeat the dragons and its another as we keep pushing forward as if nothing has happened.

I totally understand i might be in the minority of feeling this way about realism.

I mean 1 other person felt that way in these comments.

But when so many areas we explore, old dungeons and living world storys/personal storys are about how strong these Elder Dragons are and how they killed/defeated the beings use technology we study and cant even comprehend.

It takes out alot of the immersion for me.

in Living World

Djinn.9245

Sorry, we had no such advantage when we killed Zhaitan.

How did us learning the ways of the jungle help us to kill Mordremoth exactly?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Ok i have been having a really hard time believing the story lines since HOT.

Zhaitan ok i get that we killed a Elder dragon after years of work and slowly starving him and using incredibly powerful weapons. I believe after that fight Trahearne said something like we “lost most of the pact” which to me is over 50% of our armed forces.

Completely believable as much as the world doesnt show the effects of the Zhaitan fight.

The morde saga was horrible and ill just skip it.

Now we just had a new episode and my question becomes how is Taimi making this machine that kills 2 elder dragons at the same time?

She makes comments like “even i dont know how it works”, what?

I dont know if im the commander anymore or if the commander is just some character i control but we are now fighting gods and just rushing into it alone?

I am seriously so confused on the lily pads we jumped here. We keep running into magical beings who just give us the answers to things. Like rata novus in morde saga, Trahearne can help us kill morde ……… and now Tami made a machine that can kill both dragons by ???

When we first went to some of the new maps like Ember Bay people were dying like Taimis assistant.

I would just like some answers on how we are still pushing forward so strongly and running into all these beings that just help us out of no where.

My biggest question is what makes the magic we are using to kill 2 elder dragons at the same time? If we have this ability how is it that Balth can come right into our Lab, shut down or Way Point, teleport it to a new area, where i get into a volcano where Taimi magically appears?

If anyone could share i would love to see/read the parts im missing.

All I can give you for an “answer” is a big +1.

Welcome to the world of credibility the writers have lost in my eyes as well.

in Living World

Lahmia.2193

We had the pact, the airship fleet, we had the knowledge of what to do to make Zhaitan weak (we killed his eyes and mouth) and we had the Asura tech which was ultimately what killed him.

in Living World

Djinn.9245

We had the pact, the airship fleet, we had the knowledge of what to do to make Zhaitan weak (we killed his eyes and mouth) and we had the Asura tech which was ultimately what killed him.

The end of the Zhaitan fight was certainly better than others. Usually the Commander is the one who fights the bosses. In that fight we simply helped protect Zojja. So I agree about that one fight.

in Living World

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

The end of the Zhaitan fight was certainly better than others. Usually the Commander is the one who fights the bosses. In that fight we simply helped protect Zojja. So I agree about that one fight.

Hm? Zojja did not participate in the fight against Mordremoth at all. She was still weakened and unconscious from Mordremoth trying to transform her into a Mordrem (and partially succeeded by creating those awful clones of her). We were commanding Pact Soldiers who helped us defeat Mordremoth, Zojja was nowhere near that event. The annoying high-pitched Asuran voice you hear (“No need, we got it, it’s dying!”) is one of the Pact Soldiers, not Zojja.

in Living World

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

My take on it is this: Anet wrote themselves into a corner when they decided there would be not one, but six impossibly huge world destroying beings for us to fight. So to prevent each new expansion from being: Amass dragon fighting army>learn dragon’s weakness>kill dragon, they’re now coming up with ways to write off the rest of the dragons as quickly as possible so they can make up some new crap for us to kill.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Living World

kdaddy.5431

My take on it is this: Anet wrote themselves into a corner when they decided there would be not one, but six impossibly huge world destroying beings for us to fight. So to prevent each new expansion from being: Amass dragon fighting army>learn dragon’s weakness>kill dragon, they’re now coming up with ways to write off the rest of the dragons as quickly as possible so they can make up some new crap for us to kill.

See thats how it feels but to me it should of never been this way.

After defeating Zhaitan i totally thought we were gonna get some small missions that felt like big deals.

No Anet went with after a huge long war, right back into it with scarlett, her cronys and the awakening of morde.

I really felt that after Zhaitan we would of gotten more missions against bandits and thieves, since food and communitys would be so different after the deaths of so many of its people. Also think of the people involved as well. Asura use there technology to gain advantages. Charrs and humans a mix of both and Norn mostly us face to face combat. The Sylvari as a group would have far less of a population so if thousands of them died that would hit there community so hard.

For me HOT was a real chance for Anet to get creative and give us some unique story lines and different types of game play.

I mean just look at this last living story, they threw out a human god. Thats probably what they whould of done after Zhaitan. A elder dragon is defeated so there is so much free magic going around that human gods come back, mursaat , the jotun find a way to create what they once had.

GW2 has such a rich history of different potential lores. For instance when Braham came back, he might of found what happened to the dead spirit gods of the norn.

Thats why im so frustrated with HOT story. I mean for me that ZHaitan story with all the dungeons was pretty epic, it was just missing a epic boss fight/dungeon battle.

in Living World

kdaddy.5431

Technically Omaad made the machine. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eternal_Alchemy

It’s too abstract for me to really understand it either, but essentially what she did was use Omaad’s machine and its access to the eternal alchemy to essentially combine elements of the two elder dragons to oppose their forces. I’m assuming she did this with the samples we get of Jormag and Primordus? So it’s kind of like any other alchemy, only somehow doing it with this machine caused them to interact from the source of the samples.. the elder dragons and their magic?

The whole thing is a little vague but I think it’s just one of the many larger deeper plots they have left open to expand upon in the future if they choose to.

So i came back to reply after reading into this.

I dont like it even more, different races have proven to be far superior then we currently are. Ogden and others have said things such as this is exactly what you think.

So no conclusive evidence, it just makes everything more deus ex-machina to me.

in Living World

Djinn.9245

See thats how it feels but to me it should of never been this way.

After defeating Zhaitan i totally thought we were gonna get some small missions that felt like big deals.

No Anet went with after a huge long war, right back into it with scarlett, her cronys and the awakening of morde.

I really felt that after Zhaitan we would of gotten more missions against bandits and thieves, since food and communitys would be so different after the deaths of so many of its people. Also think of the people involved as well. Asura use there technology to gain advantages. Charrs and humans a mix of both and Norn mostly us face to face combat. The Sylvari as a group would have far less of a population so if thousands of them died that would hit there community so hard.

For me HOT was a real chance for Anet to get creative and give us some unique story lines and different types of game play.

I mean just look at this last living story, they threw out a human god. Thats probably what they whould of done after Zhaitan. A elder dragon is defeated so there is so much free magic going around that human gods come back, mursaat , the jotun find a way to create what they once had.

GW2 has such a rich history of different potential lores. For instance when Braham came back, he might of found what happened to the dead spirit gods of the norn.

Thats why im so frustrated with HOT story. I mean for me that ZHaitan story with all the dungeons was pretty epic, it was just missing a epic boss fight/dungeon battle.

I personally am tired of the progression of fighting bigger and bigger enemies. An RPG doesn’t have to always be about killing stuff.

And assuming GW2 lasts for years longer, where is the progression going to go? We’ve decided that killing off all the dragons is a bad idea and they were the biggest enemies Tyria has left. So now Anet is having us fight the gods? Are we now going to fight them one after the other? What they’re having our characters do is just crazy.