Recultivation of orr

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: Lonely Hermit.1967

Lonely Hermit.1967

It has been more than a year since we killed Zhaitan. The cause of undead is dead and the orr has not changed since than yet. I think that it would be nice if the undeads started to vanish and the orr started to raise its glory. More green, restoring the temples etc. would be really amazing and I think that people would enjoy it.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Would not make that much sense for those who still haven’t done the personal story.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

Anet would have to divide zones up into sub zones based on progression like Blizzard did with WoW when Lich King came out. I wasn’t a fan of that in terms of organizing parties with people and in terms of playing with random people in general, but it could be nice in order to allow everyone to complete the main story but also allow for up to date players to continue.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Lonely Hermit.1967

Well, its living story, so why should it stay static? New players can have new personal story. New players won’t fight the molten alliance or Scarlet too…

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: Cliff.8679

Cliff.8679

It’s a nice thought, but there’s no way that’s going to happen. It’ll be something that happens in the time between Guild Wars 2 and Guild Wars 3.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: Eravyn.7483

Eravyn.7483

You could try to look at it more as the pre- and post-searing in GW1, but more merged. New players would come in to see Orr with new growth and NPCs working on restoring the old places, while the storyline would be like flashbacks to how it was before. I don’t think they’d have to change much, players would just look at it differently.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

They would have to scrap the Personal Story entirely, which wouldn’t bother me if they did. In fact, it would make the game even better. Replace it with Living Story instead. They are actually better anyway. If they wanted to keep the Personal Story though, they would have to use Phasing, like WoW does, and separate players until they finished the Personal Story. That would be a bad idea though, and it’s one of the worst things to ever happen in WoW, and the MMO genre.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

People disliked it when they removed TA P3 and put the aetherblades in. The game needs new zones more than re-mapped ones.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Well, unless there was a technical reason why TA couldn’t have four paths, there was no real good reason to get rid of TA P3. There is reason to allow Orr to change. Kessex has changed, for instance, and I don’t see many complaints about that.

Mind you, the ideal compromise is probably introducing new zones for the southern and eastern coasts of Orr that show the changes. You could even justify it as the northern and eastern coasts being where the main concentrations of Zhaitan’s power (due to being the likely invasion path of his enemies and the regions where places of strategic and magical significance like the cathedrals and the Source of Orr were located) and thus requiring more effort to cleanse of corruption and Risen while the south and east is able to recover relatively quickly.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Lonely Hermit.1967

Well, the TA P3 was quite hard to finish even for good guilds. The end boss was hard to kill with all the spiders around. I think that this was one of the reasons why they removed this path and changed it for aetherblades.

I think that the change in Kessex was quite good. The problem is that people didn’t have any reason to spend their time in Kessex before the patch and they don’t have any reason to stay in Kessex even after this change. We all saw the Kessex change, but why should we stay there?

There are orichalcum and ancient wood nodes in the orr so players have reason to stay there even if it is so annoying to run through all the undeads. If the orr started to recultivate and the nodes would stay, players would still run the nodes and they could help recultivate the orr on their way. Of course it has to be rewarding.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: macabakur.4521

macabakur.4521

I was thinking about this earlier while going through malchor’s leap for the first time in awhile. I agree, I think a robust change to the entire area would be awesome. Orr should rise again. Zhaitan’s dead, his undead horde’s while magically held in stasis currently by the magic of video games are dead too.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I was thinking about this earlier while going through malchor’s leap for the first time in awhile. I agree, I think a robust change to the entire area would be awesome. Orr should rise again. Zhaitan’s dead, his undead horde’s while magically held in stasis currently by the magic of video games are dead too.

We actually do not know if an Elder Dragons minions suddenly “die” when the ED dies though.
For all we know they will just run around as usual but without the guidance of the Dragon.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

This is the problem with the Personal story – it’s tied to a certain time and can’t change. Even though it would be awesome if Orr would change along the years, we probably cannot have that unless ANet will introduce some kind of phasing system, or simply imply that events in the personal story are actually happening in the past and it’s more of a recap of what happened.

Similarly, none of the characters in the Personal story can ever die (not counting those who die during it). Isn’t that a boring thought?

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

The personal story will just make less sense to those who play the game after the changes are made. Imagine doing GW1 missions right now in GW2. It just would not make sense.

On another note, I like Orr the way it is. Actually, I prefer it to go back to how it was at launch before the risen “difficulty” was nerfed.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: NathanH.1465

NathanH.1465

Basically the problem is (like others said) that you can’t change orr bacause not everyone has finished his/her personal story. People who just bought the game will one day go to orr and expect to see risen in there. They just done several story instances about how orr is source of all evil, so when they go there they’ll need to see risen.
The problem is that anet can’t change any zone in a way that contradicts the personal storyline.

However, there might be an easy solution for this problem with orr. If you look at the map, a part of orr is still closed off. So after completely finishing the (current) personal storyline, Anet could add a few missions that open up the part off Orr that’s currently closed off.
The (currently) closed off part, could then focus around rebuilding Orr. (and ofcourse with the bandits who are trying to make a profit themself )

However, that means that anet would need to find the time to add 1 (or 2) new zones and 2 or 3 extra storymissions to open them up.

(edited by NathanH.1465)

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Lonely Hermit.1967

Well, you all expect that the current personal story system will remain. I don’t really think that this should remain in the way it is now. Its old, its boring and the game can’t move on. Current system should be, in my opinion, reworked. Living story should be more implement into the personal story…

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

The only way to get an living world and map changing is called sanbox.

Pitty game devolopers, preffer to make old themepark stuff and label it inovative.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: NathanH.1465

NathanH.1465

Well, you all expect that the current personal story system will remain. I don’t really think that this should remain in the way it is now. Its old, its boring and the game can’t move on. Current system should be, in my opinion, reworked. Living story should be more implement into the personal story…

The problem is that you can’t change the personal story.

• new players don’t know the story, so it’s not old and boring for them
  • changing the personal story, might mess up the story for the people still going through it. (imaging that first you just finished a part where you had to fight a bunch of risen, but the next day, instead of risen the story suddenly focus on centaurs to be the big bad enemy)
  • If you change the personal story, then you run the risk that a lot of zones might need to be reworked. (for example: the higher level zones focus on the ‘risen’ as the enemy on the map. If for example the story wouldn’t focus on them, but another enemy all the missions, quests, and enemies in the open world might need to be ‘updated’ to reflect that new enemy) also (depending on the changes) even the dungeons might need to be looked at again.
  • changing the personal also means that all the cutscenes and voice acting would need to be redone .

The living world can change stuff in the open world, but only when it doesn’t contradict the personal storyline at any point and changing the personal storyline probably means a LOT of work for anet.

I think it would be much easier (and maybe even faster) for anet to add more personal storyline add the end of the current personal storyline or even to have the Living story open up new zones/continent (at least that’s how we got that ‘Southsun Cove’), add a new playable race and have the Living story focus on that continent and new race (instead of having a Personal story for that continent, but I’m not certain how much work that would be for anet and they might have their own plan for the Living story)

(edited by NathanH.1465)

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

If Zhaitan really is dead…Orr should have sunk back into the ocean floors since the power that rose Orr have dissipated with Zhaitan’s death — and yet, Orr is still above water.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

If Zhaitan really is dead…Orr should have sunk back into the ocean floors since the power that rose Orr have dissipated with Zhaitan’s death — and yet, Orr is still above water.

Hm?
There is no reason to assume that it is Zaithans power that holds Orr afloat, only that it rose because of its power.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“Well, its living story, so why should it stay static? New players can have new personal story.”

Do you want the developers to spend 3 months creating a new personal story for new players after removing the old personal story and three end game zones? I’d personally rather see all the development efforts put into new content and completely new areas.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

People disliked it when they removed TA P3 and put the aetherblades in. The game needs new zones more than re-mapped ones.

Completely and utterly agree. And I doubt ANet will ever change Orr. For one thing, they plan to sell the game to more people — perhaps millions, if China launch ever gets off the ground — and they will want to keep the two games on the same page.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Hm?
There is no reason to assume that it is Zaithans power that holds Orr afloat, only that it rose because of its power.

Yes, it rose because of its power, without that power it will sink again….unless that source of power is not gone afterall, which explains why Orr is still infested with the Risen.

What if Zhaitan is not dead and his being or essence are simply absorbed by other risen, like Tequa’ for example, just to become the new Zhaitan?

How then can we recultivate Orr?

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

It might have simply risen because of the fact that Zhaitan was sleeping UNDER it and thus lifted it up when it awoke.
There is nothing anywhere that says anything about how it stays up (but then again, when new islands are “created” they tend to stay up.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Remember it wasn’t built sunken. The Vizier got all petty and said no one plays with my toys but me and sunk it so enemies couldn’t have it. Which does beg the question of just how you sink a large land mass that is presumably an upthrust of the ocean floor … anyway, nothing says it’s floating thanks to Zhaitan, just that the dragon gave it the upward boot to undo the Vizier’s spell, albeit with plenty of leftover sea damage.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: Xukavi.4320

Xukavi.4320

Remember it wasn’t built sunken. The Vizier got all petty and said no one plays with my toys but me and sunk it so enemies couldn’t have it. Which does beg the question of just how you sink a large land mass that is presumably an upthrust of the ocean floor … anyway, nothing says it’s floating thanks to Zhaitan, just that the dragon gave it the upward boot to undo the Vizier’s spell, albeit with plenty of leftover sea damage.

Actually the Vizier had no intention of sinking Orr, he was using a magic spell found in some ancient scrolls as defense against the invasion which ended up causing Orr to sink.

Elyas Wolfbane – Ranger, Xukavi – Thief

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: pelto.7345

pelto.7345

the story missions arent that long no excuse for not completing the story really if you dont do it on the way to 80 you probably wont finish it the rewards could have been better i guess but it was fun when i finished it on my 1st character it was tough as hell its alot easier now if the world is truly living let the people who dont care about it be left behind i wana see that something ive done on 3 diffrent toons changed the game

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

With Orr staying dead over a year, despite Trahearne healing the land, the game feels just static, boring and not dynamic at all. Dynamic events are lies, living world is a lie, personal story is a lie, arah story is a lie, tequatl killed 239847 times and getting new powers because of that isn’t a lie.. IT’S ABSURD. One of the things that attracted me to this game was the promise of the ever-changing world. Now I just play it more seldom as it’s just all the same. I will never see healed Orr. I will never see Elona and Cantha 250 years after gw1. I will never see Lazarus The Dire again, I will never see Livia, I will never find out what happened to Gargolyes, Evennia, Sohothin, Scepter of Orr, Jade Sea, Echovald Forest, Drakkar Lake, portal to Realm of Torment in Desolation… it’s just all gone. And I suggest all of you to accept that.

(edited by Sublimatio.6981)

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Aeolus.3615

(…) I will never see Livia, (…)

Not so sure about that…

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Sublimatio.6981

Not so sure about that…

Actually we see her but not in her original form, I assume she is Anise. I’ve made topic in Lore section about it ^^

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

They wouldn’t be able to change Orr, because so many events and npcs refer to it. They would need to change literally thousands of NPCs and events to reflect this. The only solution would be to have two separate zones of Orr. One for the new characters, and the other for the post-Zhaitan crowd.

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Sublimatio.6981

If it’s too hard for them, they should’ve never called the world ‘living’ :P

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Aeolus.3615

Plant some silvary’s o_O

Recultivation of orr

in Living World

Aeolus.3615

Not so sure about that…

Actually we see her but not in her original form, I assume she is Anise. I’ve made topic in Lore section about it ^^

Well Livia has something to do with Orr if i remember after EOTN she departed to Arah in search of the prophecies staff (dont remember staff name ^^), for sure LS with get there someday, funny Anise might be Livia grandauther :P.