Axialbloom.8109

- Horrible lag and FPS drops
- Red grated floor hiding the red AoE circles
- Horrible camera angle and a boxed arena
- Bugged orbs that could not be range attacked and could instant kill you
- Useless pick up item system
- Instant death attacks
- A queue

Remember that this fight was the epitome of bad design. Try not to glamourise the past.

Remember, Liadri was horrible

in Living World

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I didn’t have any trouble with lag and FPS drops and I never really understood why so many people had trouble seeing the red circles either (unless you’re colour blind, then I can see how it would be an issue).

It would be nice if they could do something to fix the camera though.

But I am really looking forward to getting to try it again. I know I’m a much better player than I was last August and it would be nice to see how that pays off in this fight. Especially if I can actually beat her this time.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Living World

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

Oh I beat her. Or I should say, I beat the camera, etc.

in Living World

Axialbloom.8109

I forgot one point: it was a DPS race.

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Arenas could be larger tbh. The whole fight was about awful lot of dodging and movement + AoE evading, so some professions had much easier time than, let’s say a Ranger or Necromancer.

Personally, I believe they got the lesson and created new interesting bosses past Liadri

One of the things I really loved about the Gauntlet was that it made me to theorycraft a bit and mess with builds/traits to beat everything and do the achievements. That was also the time I had enjoyed the PvE AI fights after quite a while.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Living World

Posted by: Lapiy.7160

Lapiy.7160

I didn’t have any trouble with lag and FPS drops and I never really understood why so many people had trouble seeing the red circles either (unless you’re colour blind, then I can see how it would be an issue).

It would be nice if they could do something to fix the camera though.

But I am really looking forward to getting to try it again. I know I’m a much better player than I was last August and it would be nice to see how that pays off in this fight. Especially if I can actually beat her this time.

I am colorblind in the red to green range This is not going to be fun

Servers: Crystal Desert, Underworld, Eredon Terrace
Guilds: [TDS] The Desert Squad-Retired, [bM] Badmash, [BoRP] Bunch Of Random Players
Always looking for fights gvg’s etc just hit me up!

in Living World

Posted by: goldmagistrate.2601

goldmagistrate.2601

Axial pretty much nailed it. It took me so many attempts to finally beat her, and when I won or lost—-I didn’t feel like I came in to a fair fight. I felt handicapped from all the points above or because theres too many kitten people+mobs below me sucking my FPS dry. Or because I’m too busy dodging to notice the red AOE’s on a red floor.

in Living World

Posted by: popaz.1524

popaz.1524

lol here goes the QQ threads again.. I beat Liadria 8 orbs and that was by far the most challenging achivement they ever did in this game so even though I agree with the bad camera angles I cannot complain about it overall because some of us actually enjoy harder content but we never get it because when we do then there is always people crying over the forums to nerf it. I don’t know why some players cannot accept if they cannot complete 100% of the content. If you can’t then just deal with it. (not aiming to anyone within this thread)

(edited by popaz.1524)

in Living World

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

Funny because I beated her using a necro and conditions, not much evades and DPS race ^^

But I did used the consumable that gives you energy regen, still she was pretty doable. Although please fix up the camera!!

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Living World

Posted by: Denovean.2785

Denovean.2785

Alright.

- Horrible lag and FPS drops
Agreed on this one, I think they should’ve made the gauntlet section of the pavillion another public instance mostly due of the zergs rampaging below(instanception?).

- Red grated floor hiding the red AoE circles
I think the new AoE circle color they used in the latest living story updates would be a good solution for this one.

- Horrible camera angle and a boxed arena
Honestly that only takes some getting used to. But I agree that the game’s camera does not work too well on cramped spaces.

- Bugged orbs that could not be range attacked and could instant kill you
The orbs would only pull you, not 1 hit KO. And honestly I think Anet did the thing about ranged attacks not working on purpose. Who knows?

- Useless pick up item system
It’s not useless if it works. However there were some situations that made me believe that the pick up system needed some adjustments, maybe it’s because of the fps lag or latency issues. Who knows right?

- Instant death attacks
Hey as long as you can dodge/block them I don’t see the issue.

- A queue
Really?

My bottom line here is that the fight itself wasn’t horrible, it was just some game mechanics that didn’t go in well terms with it, maybe that’s the result of Anet only taking 2 days to develop the entire gauntlet.

(edited by Denovean.2785)

in Living World

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

Could not disagree more with the OP, except for the camera issue.

It was a demanding fight, but it wasn’t arbitrary. You could memorize all of the attack patterns and orbs were immune to ranged for a reason (to make players think about positioning).

A+ fight, look forward to doing it again.

in Living World

Posted by: Ouimette.5902

Ouimette.5902

I agree with most of your points but this one was probably the most irrelevant. The devs specifically went out with a statement saying that a player would most likely need to change their build throughout the arenas. It was a bit inconvenient since we didn’t have the free retrait system we do have today but I did change my build last year anyway several times.

So for me it makes perfect sense to maximize your reflexes along with a really glassy build to take down Liadri since it was the final boss. The camera was horrible though :p

in Living World

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

The camera in this game is abysmal

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

in Living World

Axialbloom.8109

The camera in this game is abysmal

It has gotten better, but when there are walls, etc (or a moronic dome…), it fails hard.

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Bosses with cheap one hit kills are neither fun or needed for this game. Liadri is no exception. The first post speaks the truth.

in Living World

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

All the gauntlet fights can basically be summed up as MAX THEM DEEPS, because there wasn’t nearly enough time otherwise, and it screws over people who aren’t geared for that (even if they’re skilled enough to win the fight otherwise).

Also, there’s no waypoint on the top level, so you had to go all the way back up from the lower level if no one was around to res you, making the process of trying again take even longer. Plus the terrible camera and the inherent issues with having a zerg swarming around beneath you.

in Living World

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

Liadri was one of the best things the game has ever introduced. Sure it wasn’t put out that well, over a pit of zerg so it did lag to heck, and the arena wasn’t quite tall enough so the camera fought against you as well; however, the gauntlet was amazing and heeps of fun, it wasn’t all just a dps race. It was great solo content that I wish there was more of. It introduced many of the games existing combat mechanics in a decent learnable way. Don’t get me wrong, doing the 8 orbs on liadri was a huge pain and pretty much a dps race, the satisfaction and cheer were great, and the money from all of them, even after the change, wasn’t bad

in Living World

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

^^ What A Massive Headache said.

Any boss/challenge takes real practice, and for a solo effort, Liadri was terrific in demand of skill (and perhaps a tiny bit of luck if you slipped up on skill). The camera angle was just another factor of difficulty, I never minded that on any of the QG bosses, it was just another challenge to overcome.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Liadri was one of the best things the game has ever introduced.

No, wrong. The account wallet, wardrobe system, unlimited gathering tools, and account-wide magic find are just a few things introduced that are far better than that boss.

Sure it wasn’t put out that well, over a pit of zerg so it did lag to heck, and the arena wasn’t quite tall enough so the camera fought against you as well; however, the gauntlet was amazing and heeps of fun, it wasn’t all just a dps race.

At least you acknowledged the camera and lag issues. However, it was mostly a DPS race due to one hit kill attacks rendering toughness and vitality a moot point, as well as there being a timer stressing one to kill the boss quickly.

It was great solo content that I wish there was more of. It introduced many of the games existing combat mechanics in a decent learnable way. Don’t get me wrong, doing the 8 orbs on liadri was a huge pain and pretty much a dps race, the satisfaction and cheer were great, and the money from all of them, even after the change, wasn’t bad

No. No, no , no. The queen’s gauntlet can stay as is, but no more cheap gimmicky one-hit kill bosses. There are too many as it is.

in Living World

A Massive Headache.1879

Liadri was one of the best things the game has ever introduced.

No, wrong. The account wallet, wardrobe system, unlimited gathering tools, and account-wide magic find are just a few things introduced that are far better than that boss.

Sure it wasn’t put out that well, over a pit of zerg so it did lag to heck, and the arena wasn’t quite tall enough so the camera fought against you as well; however, the gauntlet was amazing and heeps of fun, it wasn’t all just a dps race.

At least you acknowledged the camera and lag issues. However, it was mostly a DPS race due to one hit kill attacks rendering toughness and vitality a moot point, as well as there being a timer stressing one to kill the boss quickly.

It was great solo content that I wish there was more of. It introduced many of the games existing combat mechanics in a decent learnable way. Don’t get me wrong, doing the 8 orbs on liadri was a huge pain and pretty much a dps race, the satisfaction and cheer were great, and the money from all of them, even after the change, wasn’t bad

No. No, no , no. The queen’s gauntlet can stay as is, but no more cheap gimmicky one-hit kill bosses. There are too many as it is.

I play the game for the game. The accound wide magic find was nice I guess, but no. The gauntlet was just a lot of fun for me. And I will still argue up and down that liadri just required attention, and just the standard fight wasn’t necessarily a dps test.

But yeah, an’t argue against the release being poor

in Living World

Posted by: Immortal.3647

Immortal.3647

liadri was an awesome challenge last summer and i love my mini liadri, it just feels good to have a nice reward for such a win. i just hope they have different rewards this time, i am eager to challenge her again !

in Living World

Axialbloom.8109

liadri was an awesome challenge last summer and i love my mini liadri, it just feels good to have a nice reward for such a win. i just hope they have different rewards this time, i am eager to challenge her again !

Hopefully they fixed the camera and lag issues…

in Living World

Axialbloom.8109

If she is on a flat, desert field, with invisible walls that do not ruin the camera, AoE that is accurate, and Orbs can actually be range attacked, then the fight would work. Would still be a horrible example of the DPSORBUST mentality of GW2, though.

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

I came in here to mention the camera issues but it seems half the people here have already mentioned it..

carry on…

in Living World

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

My question is did anyone who posted hate against Liadri beat her? I’ve seen plenty of people on the forums against the OP and similar OP’s who enjoyed her, like myself.
On a side note I beat her with a staff guardian only while using a shout condi cleanse build, not specced for DPS. Continue please.

in Living World

Axialbloom.8109

My question is did anyone who posted hate against Liadri beat her? I’ve seen plenty of people on the forums against the OP and similar OP’s who enjoyed her, like myself.
On a side note I beat her with a staff guardian only while using a shout condi cleanse build, not specced for DPS. Continue please.

Staff guardians owned her.

I beat her on a warrior and elementalist. The fight is still horrendous and needs some serious work.

in Living World

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

Hehe, I kind of did the same.
Beat her mostly with retaliation.
It was definitely not a dps race.
More of a ‘if you don’t do anything but walk around in circles too long then you fail’ kind of thing.

The bosses were awesome fights.
The camera wasn’t as bad as people make it out to be, you could easily work around it.
Sure, it’d be a lot better if there weren’t issues with it.
And for people who complain about zerg lagg, sorry but get a better gaming station.
I’ve played with a 4 year old laptop on lowest settings in a full map and it was fine.
The floor was memorisable and added to the difficulty.
You could disable the flashes, I do agree those were just horrible.
Can’t range the orbs? Use AoE. Again, even though it might or might not be game design, it was making it more interesting. I don’t see it as a bad point.

All in all, came down to trying it a dozen times to master yourself. And that is what I missed, and what the gauntlet brought me. All the con’s don’t even slightly come close to that in my opinion.

in Living World

Posted by: Todd.6573

Todd.6573

Lowed the graphical settings – Fight went fine.
Yes, it was a big buggy, yes it was somewhat poorly designed.
Did i still enjoy it far more than other bosses in the game? – YES!, yes yes yes yes yes.
Its a good baseline.

Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind.
- Theodore Roosevelt

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

My guard beat her in full soldier’s gear.

Using a AH/shout build.

With a scepter/torch.

in Living World

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

My guard beat her in full soldier’s gear.

Using a AH/shout build.

With a scepter/torch.

I tried doing that and always ended up falling to my death before I could kill her.

in Living World

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I beat her, and I didn’t like the mechanics that brought her about, high failure rate 1-hit kill mechanics does not equate to challenging or quality content, just frustration.

Absolutely loved the gauntlet until I got to that boss. The only enjoyment that I got from killing her was the idea that I would never have to do it again.

Why don’t I like her?

It wasn’t the boss itself that was a challenge it was the 1-hit kill environment, totally independent of the NPC, it just kept raining 1-hit kills. You could add that to any NPC and have a similar experience. It was a really lazy way to increase fail rates for the sake of having a high fail rate. To call it “fun and challenging” would be like calling RNG in this game challenging because of the high fail rate.

As a community, I think, we should demand that content be more captivating and require critical thinking. Not roll your face until you get the dance right 1-hit kill content. It just seemed to me it was a really lazy and bland attempt to make “challenging” content. It wasn’t all that challenging, everyone knew what to do, it just depended on if you were willing to put in the practice to get the dance right so those people can feel superior over those who didn’t/couldn’t.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

in Living World

A Massive Headache.1879

Speaking of how much I loved Liadri, she’s from the Mire Sea, the krait tower in mount maelstrom. I think these 2 are immortal. It would be awesome if they were hidden npcs in gw1, but I’m fairly certain the wiki is for gw1 is up to date.

in Living World

Posted by: Jamin.6528

Jamin.6528

I like how I beat her already, and Anet reset my achievement :c

Lucromia Mukroc – Necromancer
Leader of The Hardcore Caravan [HC] – Blackgate
http://thehardcorecaravan.shivtr.com/