Ret-con promotion for our characters?

in Living World

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I’m finally getting around to doing the previous Living Story chapters, and I just started Dragon’s Reach Part 1 when I heard something that made me scratch my head. During the meeting with the Pale Tree, our characters are introduced by Lochin in this way:

“Please allow me to present your guest, Destroyer of Zhaitan and Commander of the Pact.”

Technically the intro is correct, just like one might say one is a “Knight of Divinity’s Reach” but it sounded odd since it seemed to imply my character is the actual head of the Pact.

Now I will say that would have been a MUCH better route to take in the Personal Story rather than making our characters into peons to Trehearne and only one of several Pact “Commanders”. I wonder if this was deliberate ret-con effort on ArenaNet’s part to try to actually make our characters seem important rather than replaceable grunts.

I think meeting with all of the world leaders is a good start, although that should have happened back in the original PS. Before our characters ever reached level 80, all of the world leaders should have met and heard about them and decided the player characters deserved attention.

The other thing that made me laugh was being introduced as “Destroyer of Zhaitan”. Again, it’s nice to see ArenaNet finally trying to make our characters seem important on the world stage, but the response of my character to that introduction would have been:

“If by ‘Destroyer’ you mean I was one of a bunch of crew members tagging along on a floating fortress just to protect Zojja’s superweapon (and that I hit ‘1’ a lot to take Zhaitan down) then yes, I am the “Destroyer of Zhaitan”.

Although TBH, that does kind of fit in with the idea that a hero never thinks their deeds are worth all the acclaim they receive. With the Zhaitan ‘fight’ and all of the PS that is certainly the case lol.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

in Living World

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I didn’t find it odd at all. We are THE commander of the Pact. Yes there are several other commanders, but we are second in command only under Trehearne, whose offical title is Marshall. The introduction was appropiate. As far as the destroyer of Zhaitan, although it did seem that our involvement was lackluster, we did choose the course(s) of action that led to the final confrontation. So it was OUR efforts that led to that fight, and while the fight itself left a lot to be desired, we did play such a large role as to have earned the title “Destroyer of Zhaitan”.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Living World

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

What I find more jarring, is how all the b-iconics are now calling us “boss” all the time. That’s really weird.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Hey Boss, look at this interesting rock I found.

Boss, boss, boss, boos, booss.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

@OP: While there are many commanders, we’re pretty much “The Commander”. Like what pdavis said.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

“If by ‘Destroyer’ you mean I was one of a bunch of crew members tagging along on a floating fortress just to protect Zojja’s superweapon (and that I hit ‘1’ a lot to take Zhaitan down) then yes, I am the “Destroyer of Zhaitan”.

=> So much this. The Zhaitan fight was so pathetic, I feel compelled to correct anyone who refers to me as the one who killed Zhaitan.

The Glory of Tyria killed Zhaitan. I just spammed “1” on the generic “death, good” mobs.

in Living World

Posted by: Xukavi.4320

Xukavi.4320

What I understand is that after the PS we as the PC kinda left the pact to do their thing and many other commanders stated coming up. Meanwhile we still retain our rank as 2nd in command and were called back into duty with this release or previous release. I think to avoid confusion between the players it would be nice if we were to be designated another rank to show that we are still 2nd in command under the Marshal. A rank that’s something like High Commander of the Pact.

Elyas Wolfbane – Ranger, Xukavi – Thief

in Living World

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

What I understand is that after the PS we as the PC kinda left the pact to do their thing and many other commanders stated coming up. Meanwhile we still retain our rank as 2nd in command and were called back into duty with this release or previous release. I think to avoid confusion between the players it would be nice if we were to be designated another rank to show that we are still 2nd in command under the Marshal. A rank that’s something like High Commander of the Pact.

I like this idea! It would indicate that our characters are supposed to be something more than just another of the several commanders running around. I wonder how difficult that ret-con would be. I suppose they can’t go back and change the existing LS content, but they could just start having NPCs (esp. Trahearne) simply refer to our character as ‘High Commander of the Pact’.

I think that would be less jarring than having Trahearne actually come out and say it. That conversation would be a bit weird.

“Hey, I’ve decided to make up a whole new, higher Pact rank for you after our main objective has been gained and you aren’t actually that active in the Pact anymore.”

“Gee, thanks? It would have been nice to have that higher rank when I was hanging around all those other Pact commanders.”

But if we are actually called back to duty with the Pact then the higher rank could be assigned, though Trahearne should apologize for not doing it sooner lol

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

in Living World

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

The player character is actually referred to as “First commander of the pact” in Reunion of the Pact.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Living World

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

What I find more jarring, is how all the b-iconics are now calling us “boss” all the time. That’s really weird.

I guess it’s because the voice actors can’t use the characters actual name. And commander isn’t appropriate either, since they aren’t in the Pact.

in Living World

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

If meaningless job titles (in a video game) make you feel better about yourself, how out we call you “executive” commander?

Edit: I’m replying to a guy called DoctorOverlord. I don’t even.

(edited by Wanderer.3248)

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I guess it’s because the voice actors can’t use the characters actual name. And commander isn’t appropriate either, since they aren’t in the Pact.

Yes, I understand why they did it. But it’s weird to call someone “boss” all the time. Real people don’t talk like that. I think it would have been more appropriate if they called us sir, or my lady.

in Living World

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

Yes, I understand why they did it. But it’s weird to call someone “boss” all the time. Real people don’t talk like that. I think it would have been more appropriate if they called us sir, or my lady.

That would be equally weird. People that have become your friends and that you work with so often don’t call you “sir” or “my lady” all the time either. I’d rather have boss, even though it’s still weird, than sir or lady :p

in Living World

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

That’s not true, I happen to work with someone that calls everyone boss all the time, even if he knows your name…see, a real life example, and he’s a real person. Granted, it’s not common to call someone boss all the time, but it does happen, and if we wanted to go back in history…(American history, I can certainly give you plenty of examples). Not arguing, just pointing out it is possible.

in Living World

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

=> So much this. The Zhaitan fight was so pathetic, I feel compelled to correct anyone who refers to me as the one who killed Zhaitan.

The Glory of Tyria killed Zhaitan. I just spammed “1” on the generic “death, good” mobs.

You forget, that was the final fight against Zhaitan, it wasn’t all that we did.

We cut out his eyes. We shattered his mouth. We tore him and his forces apart bit by bit as we made our way to that final fight. And always it was us at the lead, we were the ones that hurt Zhaitan personally before the rest of the pact even saw him.

It didn’t happen all in one fight, but make no mistake, WE are the ones that killed Zhaitan. Without us, that final fight would have been a lot different, and we’d be short one Pact.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Living World

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

We’re not really second in command of the Pact, though, since we’re outside of the chain of command. No one reports to the player character, except for the duration of an occasional mission. All the other high ranking officers report directly to Trahearne (as do we).

So it’s more precise to say that we’re the second highest in rank in the Pact, with special responsibility to run around and do whatever we feel like.

in Living World

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

We’re not really second in command of the Pact, though, since we’re outside of the chain of command. No one reports to the player character, except for the duration of an occasional mission. All the other high ranking officers report directly to Trahearne (as do we).

So it’s more precise to say that we’re the second highest in rank in the Pact, with special responsibility to run around and do whatever we feel like.

It’s more that we’re the one Trahearne turns to when he needs something done that can’t be done by large force of arms. We lead the special strike teams that take out specific targets. We do it quickly, quietly (compared to a full army division), and unpredictably.

Having a bunch of standard rank and file reporting to us would just slow us down, and he knows that our tendency to “run around and do whatever we feel like” tends to get some impressive results.

How large of an army would it have taken to save the Master of Peace? Not much, but organizing them would have taken too long and he’d be dead. How large of an armed force would it have taken to go into Glint’s lair and find out about the egg? Trick question, they never would have found the lair.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Living World

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Well, as others said we are the Comander of the Pact (or at least one of many)
We are not the leader, which at this point is still Trahearn.

Would be cool if we could choose our title at some point and be introduced with it. The voicactor for that should be available often, though. YOu know, for the different titles we get

Argh, don`t remind me.
Yes, I know we they need some generic description on how to call us, but Boss just grinds my nerves. It feels so wrong (and came without any introduction… again…).
I wish to decide how my underlings may call me, as I am Prince Fluffypants the thrid, ruler of darkness and all that is evil, thank you very much. (Title still pending, I think I would have to fight for it anyway… So yeah, I guess I stay with the simple Mistwalker or how it was called… Scarlet Killer sounds cool too, but a bit ebalorate…)

in Living World

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Well, as others said we are the Comander of the Pact (or at least one of many)
We are not the leader, which at this point is still Trahearn.

Would be cool if we could choose our title at some point and be introduced with it. The voicactor for that should be available often, though. YOu know, for the different titles we get

Argh, don`t remind me.
Yes, I know we they need some generic description on how to call us, but Boss just grinds my nerves. It feels so wrong (and came without any introduction… again…).
I wish to decide how my underlings may call me, as I am Prince Fluffypants the thrid, ruler of darkness and all that is evil, thank you very much. (Title still pending, I think I would have to fight for it anyway… So yeah, I guess I stay with the simple Mistwalker or how it was called… Scarlet Killer sounds cool too, but a bit ebalorate…)

The problem with being able to choose your title though is the voice acting. But the term “boss” in this case is more informal and familiar. Of course they could use our formal title “Commander” as Trehearne does. However, I feel that such formality would put too much “distance” between us and the biconics. We wouldn’t have the emotional connections that we do with them now.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Living World

Posted by: lunacrous.6751

lunacrous.6751

Thanks for this, now every time the biconics talk to me all I’ll be picturing is…

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

@OP: While there are many commanders, we’re pretty much “The Commander”. Like what pdavis said.

Yeeeeaaah so if you could go ahead and have those waypoints recalibrated that’d be great.

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

If they just addressed me with “commander” that would be fine. But they should really be addressing me with “Your Majesty.” of course.

in Living World

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Now I will say that would have been a MUCH better route to take in the Personal Story rather than making our characters into peons to Trehearne and only one of several Pact “Commanders”. I wonder if this was deliberate ret-con effort on ArenaNet’s part to try to actually make our characters seem important rather than replaceable grunts.

Peons don’t get asked for their opinion and to take critical decisions.
At every chapters Trahearne gives us suggestions of what we should do next and after we’ve taken a decision he give us directions to our mission.

He’s a scholar. He do the “paper work” and the diplomatic stuff between the orders and gather intelligence from them while we’re doing our heroic deeds on the field.
This way when we’re back from a mission, he got a direction or new information to give us. At least this is how I see it.

He also call us “my friend”

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I generally don’t use names when I’m talking to people, unless I’m at work since there’s this thing for customer service where it’s considered good to use names for people.

But to family, friends, and people I don’t know? I tend to not use names. I think when I call for my brother I actually use his name one time out of six.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.