Retrofitting Season 1

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

I created this thread so that we may discuss and collaborate upon ways that Living Story season 1 can be reworked to fit the episode/instance feature of the ‘Story Journal’.

Episode 1: The Lost Shores
Implementation: Break into 3 instances; Karka attack on LA, we hold them off while researchers collect data, arrest of Kannach, Karka leave for now -> Second invasion, we use the technology developed to repel the karka -> take the fight to the Karka Queen in Southsun Cove.

Episode 2: Flame and Frost: Prelude
Problem: Too much of the content is open world based, and requires lengthy grinding
Solution: Convert this open world content into a episode/small instance. Example: You set off from Hoelbrak to find out where the refugees are coming from and why they must fleeing. Traveling against the stream of refugees, you aid them along the way (protecting them from Sons of Savoir, fixing signs, lighting camp fires), until you happen upon the village at the Diessa border, where you must complete the portal invasion event(scaled down for practicality). Following this, it ends on a story moment where we examine the wreckage and corpses, wondering what’s going on.

Episode 3: Flame and Frost: The Gathering Storm
Problem: Same as episode 1
Solution: We could leave this out, as nothing important really occurs or changes. The only notable event of this stage is the growth of Refugee camps inside each city… I suppose we could have an instance where you go on a scavenger hunt to aid refugees, but there is not enough ‘meat’ or story development to keep it interesting. For this to succeed it would require new material that was not present in the first release, perhaps a mini story that delves deeper into the Consortium Refugee relationship.

Episode 4: Flame and Frost: The Razing
Implementation: Break into four instances; Black Citadel meeting with Braham and Rytlock Brimstone -> Hoelbrak meeting between Braham and Eir Stegalkin-> help Braham defend his home stead -> help Rox defend the hatchery. Open World mesh could be reworked to help the character naturally flow from one stage to the next.

(edited by OtakuModeEngage.8679)

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Episode 5: Flame and Frost: Retribution
Problem: As the conclusion of Flame and Frost, this episode takes place in a dungeon, which, in itself isn’t necessarily a problem, as the conclusion of the Zhiatan story line ends in a dungeon. Unfortunately however, this dungeon is already covered by two fractals… Also, the fractal versions are missing the ‘prisoner rescue operation’ that take place between part one and two, which defeats half the purpose of the raid in the first place.
Solution 1: Revert it back into a dungeon.
Solution 2: As you did with the Thermo Reactor Explosion, you could make it so that one can enter the fractal in story mode, where they view and play the original version. Unfortunately, this still has the negative side effect that one must enter via the fractal rather than an open world location, which deflates the realism and stuns the flow.
Solution 3: Rebuild the dungeon into an even simpler, smaller scale instance that incorporates the ‘break-in’ from the first fractal, the missing rescue operation, and the ‘boss fight’ from the second fractal.

Episode 6: The Secret of Southsun
Problem: Too much of the story is not included in-game, in-game content needs to be presented better.
Solution: The open world event where, after successfully defending the vacation paradise’s wall, it is revealed that Cannach is the villain, should be converted into an instance, with the confession brought to the spot light via a cut scene. After she finishes speaking, the cut scene could then take us back in time a bit to show us the confrontation between Cannach and the consortium employee that was previously depicted via a short story blog post.

Episode 7: Last Stand at Southsun
Problem: same as episode 6
Solution: There is not so much a conversion issue here, we could have two instances; one were we capture of Cannach, and the following, our delivery of consortium contracts to the burning ship.

Episode 8: Dragon Bash
Implementation: Only the content directly relating to the death and investigation of the councilor need be included, as the festival itself is now an annual event. Instance where councilor dies -> Instance with Marjory in DR -> Open world investigation -> Instance where we detain culprit.

Episode 9: Sky Pirates of Tryia
Problem: Same as episode 5… the implementation of dungeons into fractals has really come back to bite them in the kitten . Its not as if they can simply skip it either, because then you lose a huge chunk of the story.
Solution: Same as episode 5

Episode 10: Cutthroat Politics
Problem: Can’t do an election for a vote that has already been decided, and beyond the election there is nothing noteworthy in season progression… yet, that the election occurred has a definite impact on the season and character progression.
Solution: Rewrite. Complete flip. Rather than canceling out the previous version, create a different retelling of the election that runs parallel with the first, and focuses more on the campaigns than the actual voting. Maybe the competitors have some problems with the shady bazaar traders… you would have to create a stand-alone story that fits into the season as a whole. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing, you can take this chance to fill in plot holes, maybe a meeting with Scarlet before she is revealed as a villain.

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Episode 11: Clockwork Chaos
Implementation: Instance where Scarlet disrupts the opening ceremony -> Instance where you fight past one of Scarlet’s invasion armies to collect the portal device needed to reenter the Crown Pavilion -> Instance where you retake the pavilion.

Episode 12: Twilight Assault
Implementation: Easiest of all, as its still there!!! Just have the personal story star lead the way. Also, it feels weird throwing in Taimi as a side note at the end of the story, doesn’t feel like she’s actually part of the group. Perhaps she could summon you from from Rata Sum to converse about scarlet. Maybe you could use this opportunity to delve into Scarlet’s past, and make use of your ‘What she Saw’ short story blog post… I feel this should occur shortly after her introduction, so it feels like she developing throughout the story, rather than all at the end.

Episode 13: Tower of Nightmares
Problem: Open World event requiring vast player cooperation.
Solution: Rebuilt as an instance, the lack of players can be solved by using NPC’s to battle at your side, just as the order members do when retaking Claw Island. Well, the mobs will need to be culled down to a manageable size. Honestly, I love the feeling of being the commander of an army, and fighting when a vast group of uniformed NPCs by your side, and feel like there are not enough missions in game like that. Instance ends at the top of the tower.

Episode 14: The Nightmare Within
Implementation: Instance where you kill krait boss -> Instance where tower is destroyed. …needs something between the two, otherwise it feels weird to enter a tower kill the boss then leave, just to go back in later and destroy it.

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Episode 15: Fractured
Implementation: Put personal story star on fractal and let the fun begin.

Episode 16: The Origins of Madness
Problem: The marionette requires large scale player cooperation
Solution 1: Special ‘raid’ instance that Squads can enter, this would allow you to fine comb Squads and make them an active variable in group play.
Solution 2: Convert other players into NPC army (if you make the army the Pact, then you can erase the queer conundrum as to why they did not assist against the near downfall of Tryia’s five races) Either each member of the five member party solos (with the help of NPCs) a weakened version of the marionettes wardens, there is only one warden to defeat each round, or after defeating one warden you move on to beat the next, with an increased time limit.

Episode 17: The Edge of the Mist
Problem: Its in WvW and very little story development occurs
Solution: Create an instanced version where you assault the Aetherblade base in the center.

Episode 18: Escape from Lions Arch
Problem: Requires large scale player coordination
Solution 1: Same as solution one to Marrionette
Solution 2: Same as solution two to marrionette

Episode 19: Battle for Lions Arch
Implementation: Instance where you kill three downgraded versions of scarlet’s robots, fight her boss mode, and then finish her off for cut scene. Same problems and solutions as episode 18.

Episode 20: Battle for Lions Arch Aftermath
Implementation: Celebration instance

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

And at 200 gems per episode, that would be a total of 4000gems or 50usd.

Is Season 1 worth paying 50usd for?

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Wait to completely ignore the point of the thread.

Anyways, looks like a lot of viable options posted here! I agree that it’s a lot of fun to command an NPC army, and that may be the only way to implement a lot of the content without completely reworking the mechanics.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

Wow, you obviously put a lot of work into this, and like most of your ideas. But if there was this many episodes they should probably sell s1 episodes for 100 gems.

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Great post.

I agree with the devs that the emphasis should be on S2 right now, but I really like the ideas you’ve put forth for season 1 and do hope it eventually makes it back into the game.

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: Hellafelon.5376

Hellafelon.5376

Probably the biggest problem they will face is making the story flow better from episode to episode. In season one, they were not designed to play back to back, and alot of information was presented outside of the game. There would probably need to be heaps of added dialogue and cutscenes, especially for the earlier episodes. Honestly though, season one could be a great story if it had better flow and coherence. (I think Scarlet was an excellent villain, In theory. I think Anet thought so as well. Her in-game presentation however, was lacking.)

I think most of your ideas are good ways to tackle the other problems. I would scale the large scale events down to solo instances (That of course would be largely reworked.) Im exited to see how Anet tackles this, if they even do. Personally, I would love to see season 1 added before season 3, but right now, they need to focus on making season 2 as great as it can be.

(edited by Hellafelon.5376)

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Not every Season 1 episode would need to have a lot of (interactive) content. For example, cut-throat politics would only need a few story instances that serve as cut-scenes.

ArenaNet could then either make Season 1 available as free content (or just for everyone whose account has credit for killing Scarlet), or don’t make it free, but put it in the gemstore as a single package.

This way, it is not necessary to break down the episodes into relatively equal-weight mini-adventures (as the OP has attempted above).

Also, a minor nitpick: Scarlet’s Secret Lair was left out.

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I’d much rather think they’d bundle it all together. Although this is probably months off.

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Wait to completely ignore the point of the thread.

Anyways, looks like a lot of viable options posted here! I agree that it’s a lot of fun to command an NPC army, and that may be the only way to implement a lot of the content without completely reworking the mechanics.

While an NPC army is honestly my favorite, another 2 solutions I thought of for this derive from GW1:
Solution 3: A system much like Vizuhna Square, were multiple parties can enter
Solution 4: A system like Jade Quarry, were a certain number of people must be present for it to kick off.
These two could be implemented via a quarry window

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Probably the biggest problem they will face is making the story flow better from episode to episode. In season one, they were not designed to play back to back, and alot of information was presented outside of the game. There would probably need to be heaps of added dialogue and cutscenes, especially for the earlier episodes. Honestly though, season one could be a great story if it had better flow and coherence. (I think Scarlet was an excellent villain, In theory. I think Anet thought so as well. Her in-game presentation however, was lacking.)

I think most of your ideas are good ways to tackle the other problems. I would scale the large scale events down to solo instances (That of course would be largely reworked.) Im exited to see how Anet tackles this, if they even do. Personally, I would love to see season 1 added before season 3, but right now, they need to focus on making season 2 as great as it can be.

I completely agree, but was focusing on outlining the mechanical solutions rather than the story presentation. They do need more cut scenes… the only issue with that, is that if you load up the season with a large number of cut scene only episodes, without any actual player action, then I feel a lot of players will be bored. Thus I suggested instances, although this would require them to draft out a new story board to fit those instances. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as season one has many plot holes, but it would require to go back and rewrite season one; take out the festive bits that don’t carry the story, add instances that did not previously exist. In essence, we will not be seeing the same Season one that we played upon release.

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

OtakuModeEngage.8679

I’d much rather think they’d bundle it all together. Although this is probably months off.

I’m not discussing price at all. Anet clearly stated they will not name any specifics on season one as they do not even have it in development, or any tentative plans as to how they might do so.

(edited by OtakuModeEngage.8679)

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t think the problem is how to split it into chapters.

The problems are most likely more back end “mechanical” stuff. For example they’ve said Season 2 won’t have meta achievements, instead you’ll be awarded what would have been the meta achievement reward when you finish the storyline. So to convert Season 1 someone would have to go back and rescript the distribution of every single meta achievement item. And possibly put in extra code so people who already got it don’t get duplicates. (Although the wardrobe update and festival giving out past rewards might mean they’re ok with us getting duplicates.)

That person is probably currently working on Season 2, and not able to do two jobs at once. So they’d have to delay Season 2 in order to allow us to re-play Season 1.

Same goes for the people who would write the text for the Journal entries, convert the other achievements, they may have to create duplicate copies of the map in a different ‘location’ (in the servers memory, not in Tyria) to allow things like the Tower of Nightmares to run, and so on.

Basically converting Season 1 to the new system would push back Season 2 and all other future releases, possibly by months. I don’t think that would go over well with players.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: Hellafelon.5376

Hellafelon.5376

Basically converting Season 1 to the new system would push back Season 2 and all other future releases, possibly by months. I don’t think that would go over well with players.

This is why I think they should wait until after season 2. I also think that they should get it in before season 3. Right now, they need to focus getting season 2 as great as it can be. A good chunk of people playing right now know how season 1 went down, so they don’t need immediate replayability.

However, the longer they wait, the more players will be introduced and be completely in the dark about season 1 (Season 2 might begin with a strong enough recap to at least let people have a clue as to what is going on, that might be good enough for the time being.)

Edit: Unrelated to the rest of my post, but I really like the Idea of the pact being there in the suggested instanced versions of the Tower of Nightmares, Marrionette, and Battle for LA. Maybe someone could mention what Trehearne has been up to. (Not including him directly because it would be a pain to rehire his voice actor for such a small part. Also people hate him.)

(edited by Hellafelon.5376)

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

OtakuModeEngage.8679

I don’t think the problem is how to split it into chapters. The problems are most likely more back end “mechanical” stuff.

I only listed them as episodes for organization, the aim of my post was to highlight the mechanical problems and possible solutions. For example, most of season one was told through Open World meta events, so I described ways they could be transformed into instances, which is the format they are going for with season 2, and is a necessary requirement for replay-ability.

So to convert Season 1 someone would have to go back and rescript the distribution of every single meta achievement item. And possibly put in extra code so people who already got it don’t get duplicates. (Although the wardrobe update and festival giving out past rewards might mean they’re ok with us getting duplicates.)

Same goes for the people who would write the text for the Journal entries, convert the other achievements, they may have to create duplicate copies of the map in a different ‘location’ (in the servers memory, not in Tyria) to allow things like the Tower of Nightmares to run, and so on.

Achievements is something I didn’t consider, but that is a good point.

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

Episode 13: Tower of Nightmares
Problem: Open World event requiring vast player cooperation.
Solution: Rebuilt as an instance, the lack of players can be solved by using NPC’s to battle at your side, just as the order members do when retaking Claw Island. Well, the mobs will need to be culled down to a manageable size. Honestly, I love the feeling of being the commander of an army, and fighting when a vast group of uniformed NPCs by your side, and feel like there are not enough missions in game like that. Instance ends at the top of the tower.

Episode 14: The Nightmare Within
Implementation: Instance where you kill krait boss -> Instance where tower is destroyed. …needs something between the two, otherwise it feels weird to enter a tower kill the boss then leave, just to go back in later and destroy it.

Alternative idea: turn the tower of nightmare in two fractals and a few solo instance:

What hooked me in the tower of nightmare is this idea that you are rushing your way through, hacking a path in a toxic pollen filled environment. Waiting too much results in additionnal hallucinations appearing on top of the regular mobs.

The 1st fractal should test your ability do deal with monster under constant pressure and the need to move forward. An adaptation of the 3rd level of the tower would be fine.

The second fractal should be a boss fractal (toxic hybrid). The fight in itself is easy but I’m sure it can be made a bit harder in a smart way. The hybrid should make use of the toxic pollen areas to force players to range him (he has a reflect IIRC) or suffer hallucinations appearing because of the pollen.

Solo instances are of course the ones where the concealing illusion is dispelled, the nightmare incarnate up to the molten alliance part, and finally the end of nightmare instance.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I’m not discussing price at all. Anet clearly stated they will not name any specifics on season one as they do not even have it in development, or any tentative plans as to how they might do so.

You’re not discussing price, sure. Not sure if you can speak for Snowmoon, to whom I replied. Unless you are Snowmoon, in which case I’d probably have to argue with you about that point as very clearly price was being discussed (although more in terms of value than cost).

I don’t think the problem is how to split it into chapters.

The problems are most likely more back end “mechanical” stuff. For example they’ve said Season 2 won’t have meta achievements, instead you’ll be awarded what would have been the meta achievement reward when you finish the storyline. So to convert Season 1 someone would have to go back and rescript the distribution of every single meta achievement item. And possibly put in extra code so people who already got it don’t get duplicates. (Although the wardrobe update and festival giving out past rewards might mean they’re ok with us getting duplicates.)

The easiest solution would probably be to strip out the meta-system they used and implement a new one that’s more in-line with S2. Some of those achievements were open world, or other content that probably won’t fit into the new format. Not sure how they’ll treat the rewards though, some people might take offense if getting rewards becomes too easy, or if once rare drop now become less rare.

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I’d like to see the LS1 dungeon instances adjusted so they can be done single-player – partly by toning the mob difficulty down, but also by including allies from the personal story. (Maybe even give us the option to choose which four.)

But aside from those, the open-world stuff from LS1 could quite easily be summarized in short personal story instances.

Retrofitting Season 1

in Living World

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

Because of population issues of the maps, maybe they should overhaul the megaserver system for the LS1 maps, such as the Lornar’s Pass during Marionette event.

Maybe they could “destroy” LS instance maps from time to time and force payers out of the instance (every 2-3 hours or so), similar to EotM, to flush out those who remain in maps and to keep the population concentrated and not thinned out. One scenario that I could think of is that there would be 10 or more instance maps where there are 1-10 people in each of those maps waiting for another round (basically keeping those map instances alive), and 1 or 2 instances barely filling up because the other players are still waiting in the other instance maps (or just playing the instance like it’s an ordinary map, ie. farming, doing quests).