Returned after 10 months, why remove stuff?

in Living World

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

I don’t want to take the time to go over all of your points and why they don’t make sense, so I’ll just say that your logic is very different than most and leave it at that. I’ll also post this simple equation.

New content + old content > New content

My arguments make sense once you understand what the Living World is. Go read those interviews I posted. Don’t reject Living Story until you know what it is.

In 7 days, LS will be exactly 1 year old. Don’t tell people that they don’t know or don’t understand a “feature” that’s 1 year old, that’s just insulting and not in the least helpful.

I’m not trying to be insulting. Sorry if you felt insulted.

But yes, you can tell by reading a lot of these posts that there are still people who don’t know what Living World is. The feature may have been around for 1 year, but not all the players have. Some people are still struggling to get their heads around it. The idea of Living World is not at all straight forward and obvious. It’s subtle, it’s a bit meta, and it’s a very different way of thinking about MMOs.

You’re still doing it. You suggest that for “some” people, LS is too “subtle”, and “not obvious”, which is another way of saying that they don’t get it, which seems to be the only reason you can accept that people reject LS. That way, you exclude any rational discourse because you simply brand everyone’s rejection of LS as lack of mental capacity.

What you can’t or don’t want to understand is that most of those people might weigh all pros and cons of LS and come to the conclusion that they don’t like it, and the reason for most is simply that they don’t want content removed.

I’ve seen many good arguments against removal of content, and how the LS system is basically an elaborate way of making players log in all the time under the guise of “the next big thing in MMOs”. All I see of your arguments are repetitions of what ANet marketing says in interviews, basically “it’s awesome because the guys at ANet said it is awesome”. I really haven’t seen a single convincing argument in favor of LS. You may find LS for whatever reason, but if you can’t put forward any convincing reason why, then at least don’t call people stupid for not understanding what isn’t there.

Tell you what, you and ANet may be right in the long run, really. Living Story, a.k.a. making all content except the core content temporary, might very well be the next big thing in MMOs.

Except it might only be the next big thing for MMO monetization, not the next big thing for MMO players.

Hey man, you’re putting a lot of stuff on me that isn’t mine. I’ve been pretty explicit about my reasons and goals, here. I haven’t called anyone stupid, and I haven’t implied that people are stupid if they don’t get LS.

Don’t make this personal.

in Living World

Posted by: Oenomaus.6413

Oenomaus.6413

Is it just me, or does it seem insanely stupid to even use time and ressources on content a small part of the playerbase and new players will experiance, and then also just delete it!. It doesn’t even make a “living” world, the LS. Anet just deletes content they’ve worked on? Makes no sence, and has left the game in the same state, contentwise as when you released it.. minus Southsun cove, no one ever goes to.

in Living World

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

most of the people are not playing this game bicous of LS but bicous the cool world Lore etcetcetc LS is basically MAKE people leave…..

most of the posts around the internet in different game forums players who left almost always says one of the reason is Temp content aka the LS…..

they don’t feel that the game is Going anywhere…. Players don’t like to invest Huge amount of time etc in mmo games that isn’t growing…

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in Living World

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

In nearly every other MMO, you can leave for 10 months, and when you return, the content will still be there waiting for you to complete it (with the exception of occasional one-time events).

I don’t mind GW2 having occasional one-time events, but the idea of having something released every 2 weeks that you have to play on ANet’s schedule or miss out on is a complete deal-breaker for me.

Also, just because someone wasn’t able to play through the content when it was first released does not mean that someone didn’t care enough to do so. Many people have life commitments that do not afford them the luxury to prioritize a video game. That does not mean they should be punished by being forced to miss out on content. That is silly.

Sorry thats not true…if you leave in World of Warcraft for all of tier x….and come back when tier y is out…there is no way in gods green earth your experiencing tier x….because you need others to do it. Now thats a traditional MMO with raids…guild wars 2 is in a different boat because the content added isn’t raiding content that requires people but more so than not requires you to just log in experience stuff and get achievements thats it….hate to say it but I agree with the other dude, if you saw content like bazaar ’ and other cool sounding updates ’ as someone put it. Why not log in to experience those updates….whats worse is if you quit anytime after say 3 months into the game? You already KNOW that anet do temporary content, sorry but its your own fault.

That being said I think anet still does need permanent content I dislike the temporary stuff a bit too but I’m well aware that its my own fault if I miss something. The last few patches have seen permanent content come in…chin up! Future is bright.

in Living World

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

Living World is like a television show back in the days. You will miss a lot of ‘episodes’ if you did not tune in. That is the downside for a casual gamer. They want their audience to tune in at least every two weeks. I log in everyday since they decided to release content every two weeks. I hardly miss anything and I love their content they put up without needing to pay for expansion and monthly subscription. If we compiled all the Living World update since Lost Shore up until now, we have ourselves a content worth of an expansion.

in Living World

Posted by: Lesmar.5126

Lesmar.5126

“Living World is like a television show back in the days. You will miss a lot of ‘episodes’ if you did not tune in. "
Exactly! That is the beauty of LW for me. It may not all tie together in one giant arc, but in TV not all episodes are arc, some are stand alone with hints of larger story. Scarlet is still out there, as are the EDs, but time ticks and it’s Halloween and Bam! Tessi found a Reliquary.
I can’t say I wouldn’t like to play old content, but I like the way Arenanet are doing things.
I guess in the days of On Demand TV, people just want all the episodes, all the time.

in Living World

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yep. Welcome to what is perhaps the #1 reason out of about 10 strong reasons why the LW is really a pretty terrible idea masquerading as something innovative, and is almost unquestionably doing more harm than it is good to the game.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

in Living World

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

“Living World is like a television show back in the days. You will miss a lot of ‘episodes’ if you did not tune in. "
Exactly! That is the beauty of LW for me. It may not all tie together in one giant arc, but in TV not all episodes are arc, some are stand alone with hints of larger story. Scarlet is still out there, as are the EDs, but time ticks and it’s Halloween and Bam! Tessi found a Reliquary.
I can’t say I wouldn’t like to play old content, but I like the way Arenanet are doing things.
I guess in the days of On Demand TV, people just want all the episodes, all the time.

Nope, sorry, this comparison doesn’t fly. First off, we progressed beyond that model because it’s inferior. Now, TV shows (even old ones) are watchable whenever you want to watch them. Nobody tries to force you onto their schedule for watching an episode, and just because you don’t watch it when it originally airs doesn’t prevent you from watching it at a later date, or multiple times at multiple later dates. Morever, television doesn’t require actual input from the viewer- it’s an entirely passive form of entertainment, so even if you could only watch an episode of a show once ever and then never again, even though it would be a bad idea that would irritate most people, it wouldn’t be the same as this. Thirdly, if when you missed an episode you could never see it again, it wouldn’t take too many episodes before you became entirely apathetic and checked out of the show altogether. This is what the OP’s post illustrates and is the most concrete and obvious reason why the LW is bad for the game.

People want to play the game and experience new content on their schedule, not on Arenanet’s. On top of that, it’s a hilariously massive waste of development resources that could be much better spent on permanent additions to the game that would appeal to persistent AND returning players AND draw in new players like new zones, new skills, new weapons, new skins, new dungeons, etc.

The LW is a really a pretty terrible concept, at least in terms of being the primary focus of development, and you really don’t have to think too hard about it to see why.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

in Living World

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

I don’t want to take the time to go over all of your points and why they don’t make sense, so I’ll just say that your logic is very different than most and leave it at that. I’ll also post this simple equation.

New content + old content > New content

My arguments make sense once you understand what the Living World is. Go read those interviews I posted. Don’t reject Living Story until you know what it is.

People not buying your argument doesn’t mean they don’t understand what LW is. It means they think it borked up crap.

in Living World

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

They remove their content later and you can’t ‘watch them later’ unfortunately. Just like in the old days when there were no VHS, CD’s, DVD’s, and BluRays, people had to tune in if they really want to and were invested to it.

in Living World

Zoltreez.6435

They remove their content later and you can’t ‘watch them later’ unfortunately. Just like in the old days when there were no VHS, CD’s, DVD’s, and BluRays, people had to tune in if they really want to and were invested to it.

its 2013

we also have internet you can watch anything again

and this game will sooner or later will star seriously loosing huge amount of Players if they don’t add Large Perm content……

well I just hope that next year they realy gonna add Perm stuff….

-Stellaris
-Guild Wars 2

(edited by Zoltreez.6435)

in Living World

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

Sorry thats not true…if you leave in World of Warcraft for all of tier x….and come back when tier y is out…there is no way in gods green earth your experiencing tier x….because you need others to do it.

Oh come on, now. Difficulty in finding enough people to help you complete old content is not in any way the same thing as having the content be removed so that you cannot complete it no matter how many people are willing to help you.

My point still stands. In most MMOs, content is not removed from the game after a short period of time, with the exception of holiday and/or occasional one-time events).

(edited by minbariguy.7504)

in Living World

Posted by: warmonger.2879

warmonger.2879

I like the living story as it is. The idea that the living story content should be permanent is quite dumb IMO. Do people really think living story like the Halloween event will be that special if you could play any time of the year?.

in Living World

Zoltreez.6435

I like the living story as it is. The idea that the living story content should be permanent is quite dumb IMO. Do people really think living story like the Halloween event will be that special if you could play any time of the year?.

kitten READ PEOPLE

we aren’t talking about these special events

but the Living story !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Stellaris
-Guild Wars 2

in Living World

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Thirdly, if when you missed an episode you could never see it again, it wouldn’t take too many episodes before you became entirely apathetic and checked out of the show altogether. This is what the OP’s post illustrates and is the most concrete and obvious reason why the LW is bad for the game.

This has to be quoted so it sinks in.

in Living World

Posted by: Paciunek.2496

Paciunek.2496

I like temporary content. After a week people loses their interest anyway. It doesn’t mean that I’m glad that after a year game offers nothing new to do, and people remain bored. Living world should be an addition to other, permanent content like new maps. I also had a long break (november to may), but I’m not crying I missed Flame and frost, because I didn’t want to play and it was my decision. Why should someone who didn’t play for 10 months have the same amount of achievement points as I do? Of course I’d love to come back to the game and actually have something to do, like exploring new areas or play new dungeons, but it didn’t happen, sadly. But still it’s no excuse for hating the whole living wolrd idea and demanding to stop it.