SPOILER! All My Feels...

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Lady Grimm.5387

Lady Grimm.5387

So, I went into the last part of the story with all the leaders thought “Oh, this will be interesting and relaxing to listen to” Going through it all when all of a sudden everything starts shaking and i’m like great, something else to punch in the face, then I hear the Pale Tree scream and Seriously…I have never felt so worried for a pixel in my life…but when I turned and saw her kneeling on the floor I instantly got concerned for her. So after all the fighting and be killing a dragon in my D#%m Underwear because that boss was all kinds of ouch in my kitten , Walk over to see if she was dead or not and it goes on like “She is barely breathing” I literally teared up.

The Pale Tree is such a loving and beautiful character in the game and I just love her, I just always love in the stories when you go to visit her for information and how sweet and kind she is to those who aren’t even her children…just really sad seeing how fragile she was then and you can’t really do anything to save her.

Thoughts?

Attachments:

Lady Xquinrah – 80 Necro
Kahiri Sunwhisper – 60 Ranger
Andoryah Moonsong – 30 Thief

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I am a man for goodness sakes! and men do not feels!

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

They managed to screw up with the Avatar, too. In an interview it was said the Avatar’s just an ethereal projection through which non-sylvari can communicate with her… now she’s suddenly sap and bark that breathes. Duh…

As for the feels… very little. I felt a lot more for poor Belinda — sans her terribly off-putting voice that’s completely out of sync with the character. If I could bring her back by sacrificing the Pale Tree, I would certainly do so. Same for Morning, actually.

But then again, I’m a human supremacist.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Honestly, knowing it was coming didn’t quite prepare me for the feels either. That scream really woke me up. Then after that fight, I went downstairs and the sounds of weeping from all the Sylvari only further helped drive home the feels. I’ll be curious to see if the Pale Tree recovers or succumbs. Part of me hopes that, if she does succumb, that at least her Avatar will be saved as a final living remnant of what she once was.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

They managed to screw up with the Avatar, too. In an interview it was said the Avatar’s just an ethereal projection through which non-sylvari can communicate with her… now she’s suddenly sap and bark that breathes. Duh…

I think she’s still just a manifestation. Her gasping and getting hurt represents the tree itself getting damaged. I believe at some point its mentioned that the Mordrem attacked the trees roots from below, probably doing severe damage, not to mention the dragon flying around through the canopy. And while we may not generally associate trees with getting injured, considering its a magical tree with a “sentient” avatar I think damage to the tree causing it to act injured is reasonable.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Yes. The moment of seeing her fall over as the dragon attacked drove me to kill that thing as quickly as I could, even if the fight wasn’t timed. And the thought she is dying, and might die for good, pulled at my heartstrings. The only leader that didn’t come up with some stupid excuse to not help us, the only one that was kind to all visitors, regardless of race, and she’s the one they put in peril.

Jerk move ArenaNet…but well played.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Yeah, best racial leader (Jennah is a close second). I knew this was coming and I was frankly half expecting them to just off her then and there and have the Sylvari look for Malyck’s tree in the second half of the season.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

All I can say is, I agree.

The sylvari have always been my favorite race, despite me having wound up maining almost exclusively Charr characters.

obvious spoilers below

I obviously knew something was up with the summit, with the teaser for Part 2. But I had no idea what we were in for.

Going into the summit, and actually discussing with the world leaders nearly made me forget the encroaching danger. So when that moment came, and I heard that faint dragon roar, a chill went up my spine. I suddenly became very aware again, and more than just a little afraid.

Later, I was almost actually relieved that the Pale Tree avatar calls specifically you – perhaps she’s okay… and then the next part happens. Suddenly you realize you’re alone and isolated, being the only thing standing in the way of hunter and prey. I was actually physically shaking at this point.

After it was all said and done, I didn’t want leave the Omphalos Chamber. I simply couldn’t. Seeing the warden aids come to assist the Avatar made me realize that other people were in jeopardy, world leaders and countless others, and I had to see if they were alright as well.

Bravo to Arenanet: It’s rare that any form of entertainment provokes such strong reactions from me. Well done. All the feels…

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I think she’s still just a manifestation. Her gasping and getting hurt represents the tree itself getting damaged. I believe at some point its mentioned that the Mordrem attacked the trees roots from below, probably doing severe damage, not to mention the dragon flying around through the canopy. And while we may not generally associate trees with getting injured, considering its a magical tree with a “sentient” avatar I think damage to the tree causing it to act injured is reasonable.

I think Thalador is talking about the Menders tending to the Avatar. If the avatar is fake, there’s nothing to tend for.
And if you continue with the fake avatar : if the Tree was that badly hurt it wouldn’t even have the strength to summon an avatar.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I’m gonna be the odd man out here. Maybe it’s because I’ve yet to play a Sylvari, but all I could think is, “Why is this tree half dead because of one dragon attack?” And, “If it’s that easy to take her down, why didn’t Mordy do it a long time ago? Or a thousand other baddies? Does she have some kind of cloaking shield that hides the Grove?”

Or words to that effect.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Lady Grimm.5387

Lady Grimm.5387

why didn’t Mordy do it a long time ago? "

Well, Mordremoth just woke up so that is why he didn’t, Zhaitan couldn’t affect the Sylvari with turning them so he probably didn’t see a point until his army was big enough to just march through the Grove, and any other baddies don’t have enough manpower to actually take her out.

Lady Xquinrah – 80 Necro
Kahiri Sunwhisper – 60 Ranger
Andoryah Moonsong – 30 Thief

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I too must admit that this tugged at my heartstrings too and I don’t even have any sylvari characters.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Thalador.4218

I think Thalador is talking about the Menders tending to the Avatar. If the avatar is fake, there’s nothing to tend for.
And if you continue with the fake avatar : if the Tree was that badly hurt it wouldn’t even have the strength to summon an avatar.

Exactly what RedStar said.

A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Well the final boss fight certainly was more cinematic than the previous. Kinda sad I didn’t kill the dragon though. Poor Pale Tree, didn’t see that one coming. Was expecting an attack but didn’t think the Pale Tree would get hurt.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

RedStar.4218

I’m gonna be the odd man out here. Maybe it’s because I’ve yet to play a Sylvari, but all I could think is, “Why is this tree half dead because of one dragon attack?” And, “If it’s that easy to take her down, why didn’t Mordy do it a long time ago? Or a thousand other baddies? Does she have some kind of cloaking shield that hides the Grove?”

Don’t over-think it. Really. Anything that has to do with the Living story, simply don’t over-think it, because you aren’t going to find any satisfying answer.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

I’m the only one who doesn’t trust the Pale Tree? Probably just applying human values to a non human character, but having so many children and really only caring about the oldest ones rubs me the wrong way.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

CureForLiving.5360

I’m the only one who doesn’t trust the Pale Tree? Probably just applying human values to a non human character, but having so many children and really only caring about the oldest ones rubs me the wrong way.

I think this is the common opinion but not necessarily true. Looking at the first born they all achieved major fame and renown (such as Trahearne who took down Zhaitan :P ), so obviously I think most other generations tend to have an inferiority complex / sibling rivalry going for them. “Oh look mommy is given them all the love and attention!” Although it would only make sense that the Pale Tree would praise her first born for their various achievements.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Exactly what RedStar said.

Eh, the tree must have chosen that particular spot for its avatar for a reason. With the chamber and the tablet and all, it seems almost like the “heart” of the Pale Tree is that location. Being the heart or perhaps something more like a central point of power, perhaps any healing / mending magic used in an attempt to heal the tree as a whole are best applied at that location as well. The best place to apply healing in order to circulate the magic throughout the whole tree.

As for not having the strength to summon the avatar at all… I’m not sure it even needs to be specifically summoned. The Avatar may simply be a part of the tree at this point and is thus always there as long as the tree itself still lives.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Angel McCoy

Angel McCoy

Narrative Designer

I think she’s still just a manifestation. Her gasping and getting hurt represents the tree itself getting damaged.

This is true. The avatar is a visible representation of the Pale Tree that allows her to interact with her visitors and children. When she was injured, it was represented visibly by her avatar. In many ways, the avatar is her “face”. It’s not her entire body or being.

When sylvari run to the avatar, it’s because that’s their point of contact with the vast creature that is their Mother Tree.

Good thinking too, Electro, about the chamber being almost like the “heart” of the Pale Tree.

(edited by Angel McCoy.1832)

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Agreed.. Not sure why people have “feels” over this. Forgal & Tybalt, sure. I liked those guys.. Fun characters that aren’t over-powered, given artificially puffed-up importance just trying to do their job & make a difference. Pale Tree.. I kinda wish she never existed. Such a non-Guild Wars feeling character creating a non-Guild Wars feeling race, given way WAY too much importance that we have to sit through for 2 years of living story. The Pact leader is Sylvari, Scarlet is an over-powered pet character Sylvari, the Sylvari are automatically given the moral high ground, unlimited skill sets, & recently we’re hinted that the Pale Tree is the center of the universe Or at least Tyria. With a less interesting & flavorful personality than any of the gods.. Which have conveniently been removed & even downplayed in their “true” importance & mucked with their lore. Yeah, no. Not worth “feels” for me, especially considering there is no way the Pale Tree is gonna “die”, unless they want to spend about 6 months of dev time adding an entire phase tot he Sylvari. Which I guess I could see them doing since that is the race they get hot & bothered over. Regardless if it is the 2nd least played race..

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Feels? Not one. I knew she’d be ok. This isn’t GoT. Major charectors don’t die. The introduce new people for that.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I think she’s still just a manifestation. Her gasping and getting hurt represents the tree itself getting damaged.

This is true. The avatar is a visible representation of the Pale Tree that allows her to interact with her visitors and children. When she was injured, it was represented visibly by her avatar. In many ways, the avatar is her “face”. It’s not her entire body or being.

When sylvari run to the avatar, it’s because that’s their point of contact with the vast creature that is their Mother Tree.

Good thinking too, Electro, about the chamber being almost like the “heart” of the Pale Tree.

The Avatar doesn’t exist naturally. It didn’t exist when Cadeyrn went to speak to the Pale Tree before leaving to form the Nightmare Court as shown in the old blog post Dream and Nightmare – and before you fall back to Bobby Stein’s point of ‘its malleable if not in-game’ you later responded by stating he just meant interviews. And this was not an interview. This shows that the Avatar of the Pale Tree is an active projection.

If the Pale Tree falls unconscious like talking with the Avatar indicates, then the Avatar – being an active projection – should disappear. If it isn’t etheral anymore like the original mentions of it proclaim, then it shouldn’t be “barely breathing” but instead just drop down like a marionette puppet who’s strings were cut. Having it “barely breathing” and the mendors tending to the avatar just makes no sense.

Your post doesn’t explain this at all, even if it’s become the sylvari’s point of contact it is hardly their sole point of contact, as the old Dream and Nightmare blog shows, they can communicate with the Pale Tree anywhere beneath her boughs – should she chose to.

And for reference, this is lore that is also presented in-game:

“I am not as I appear to you. This small body is but a manifestation I use to put visitors at ease. My entire being stretches deep into this world and out into the Dream. I am more than you can imagine.”
Standard dialogue to non-sylvari

“This manifestation I use for visitors cannot express the depth of my roots or the breadth of my branches, both here and in the Dream.”
Standard dialogue to sylvari

“I am the avatar, the spirit of the Pale Tree that surrounds you. I am the mother of the sylvari race. I am Tyria’s ally.”
A Light in the Darkness, when asking who the Avatar of the Pale Tree is.

The first two alone show that the manifestation is primarily for visitors, if not only. The sylvari shouldn’t see the Avatar as “her face” nor rush to mend the avatar. They may see the Avatar missing/lifeless (or in this weird case, unconscious), and then go to mend the tree because the Pale Tree doesn’t always respond, but for them to go mend the avatar… makes no sense. Even with your “the avatar is like her face” explanation. If someone you care about got hurt, would you go rub their face with mascara, because that’s basically what tending to the avatar is doing.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I would not say she’s her face.

It looks to me more like her voice.

Damage the Avatar, the Tree can simply make another one. Damage the Tree, her voice ‘breaks’.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Konig Des Todes.2086

Except, as we’ve seen through Dream and Nightmare, the Pale Tree doesn’t need the Avatar to speak. That thing only exists to make other races feel more comfortable when talking to the Pale Tree. Kind of like how in Mass Effect 3, EDI says the crew goes to her robotic body when they can communicate with her anywhere in the ship – the body is a familiarity to people, and more comfortable than some disembodied voice. The sylvari don’t have this discomfort, as they’ve known the disembodied voice all their life.

It still seems weird that the wardens would go to mend the Avatar.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

RedStar.4218

Konig, I never said this but I thought it so many times and after this :

If someone you care about got hurt, would you go rub their face with mascara, because that’s basically what tending to the avatar is doing.

Will you marry me ?

But back to the main point.
It’s nice to have the writers input, so thank you for that Angel. Giving the Pale Tree a face surely helps to convey the emotion of the whole situation.
But having the menders rush to her avatar, instead of the roots and branches or even around the chamber, where the Pale Tree actually got hurt didn’t make that much sense.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I see nothing wrong with them rushing to mend the Avatar. Think of it like a voodoo doll of the Pale Tree. What you do to it is reflected upon the tree itself. There’s a LOT of damage to repair, but for the quick and dirty work to stop the bleeding (sap loss?), you throw all the healing you can onto the Avatar and let it carry over through the link.

Oh, I don’t trust her at all. She’s still hiding things from us. Notice how the attack leaves her in a state that keeps her from answering any more questions? And just who tipped off the dragon that this was when and where he needed to attack? And how do you even tell that to a dragon?

I’m wondering if those were even real dragon minions. Everything we saw is something she could have made, and the attack got the leaders to agree to her goals. She could be faking the extent of her injuries.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Michael Walker.8150

Michael Walker.8150

If someone you care about got hurt, would you go rub their face with mascara, because that’s basically what tending to the avatar is doing.

New karma vendor item: MordyFixx "mighty* magical mending mascara against anything** corrupt*** – cures stage 1-3**** dragon corruption, gut punches, headaches, crits and viny rashes*****. "

and for the avatar being a nexus for communication with others one could also argue that it might be easier to focus healing on the most receptive spot.
Since it doesn’t matter where they heal the pale tree, they could chose the relative safety of world leaders and the commander of the pact united. (we are THE commander now again? whatever, that’s something else). This way they could also tend to the other victims of the attack in this vicinity if need be.

We also don’t see if others are down below, healing closer to the roots.

The world summit itself was rather boring. “we got our own problems” “yeah, for two years now, in the starter areas, u wouldn’t understand, dragon is more urgent, let’s unite” “mmh kay”

nice “the feels” afterwards

(edited by Michael Walker.8150)

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: WhiteDragon.5408

WhiteDragon.5408

Called it a wee bit ago.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2d9fw3/were_dooming_tyria_living_story_theory/

But I really want to take a second and thank the story team. Superbly done. This season of living story was by far the most hooked I’ve been yet. I also want to thank the composer of the episode. The music really did an amazing job of putting the setting together and really made it an awesome experience.

Cheers all around.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

RedStar.4218

I see nothing wrong with them rushing to mend the Avatar. Think of it like a voodoo doll of the Pale Tree. What you do to it is reflected upon the tree itself. There’s a LOT of damage to repair, but for the quick and dirty work to stop the bleeding (sap loss?), you throw all the healing you can onto the Avatar and let it carry over through the link.

Because the Pale Tree itself has stated that this avatar is useless. She can do without it and only puts it up to not scare people.

It’s like a light bulb. She turns it on so others aren’t scared. But if something happens, you don’t go rubbing your light bulb (do you ?).

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Palador.2170

Because the Pale Tree itself has stated that this avatar is useless. She can do without it and only puts it up to not scare people.

It’s like a light bulb. She turns it on so others aren’t scared. But if something happens, you don’t go rubbing your light bulb (do you ?).

That’s the funny thing about magic.

It’s magic.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

It was good, but now that I think of it afterwards, being in a game sense. If the pale tree died, they would have to change up the main storyline because she is required for the main story. However, the other leaders, they aren’t required unless you play that certain race, so its alright if the other leaders died but the pale tree, they wont let her die because they’ll have to do a lot of changing in the game then.

That’d be like the main character of a movie died halfway through the movie, how often do you see that… Never.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Palador.2170

That’d be like the main character of a movie died halfway through the movie, how often do you see that… Never.

“Oh! Heavenly Dog” is the first example that comes to mind. And isn’t there some Tom Cruise movie out now where the whole plot is that he keeps dying? Oh, and Groundhog Day!

For a video game example, look no further than Chrono Trigger.

They could easily kill the Pale Tree, or render her unable to talk to people directly, and still have her appear in story instances for the PS and older LS.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I saw that coming, I was sitting there like “yo am I the only one who thinks we’re going to get attacked now that all the world leaders are in one place?” and Smodo was all like “uhh I got all these ghosts in my backyard pls help who is rytlock”

Admittedly I was not expecting the dragon. Or fighting it solo.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Konig Des Todes.2086

It was good, but now that I think of it afterwards, being in a game sense. If the pale tree died, they would have to change up the main storyline because she is required for the main story. However, the other leaders, they aren’t required unless you play that certain race, so its alright if the other leaders died but the pale tree, they wont let her die because they’ll have to do a lot of changing in the game then.

Well the Personal Story is outright stated to take place before the Living World – and by Season 2 by 2 years now. So there’d be no time paradox with main characters dying off.

As to main characters of stories dying off halfway through, quite a few of Naoki Urasawa’s works do that, such as Pluto, where halfway through the position of “main character” turns from one individual who dies to someone who was a side-character. Or the main character “disappears” and the middle half follows a side-character until the main character returns for the end, such as in 20th Century Boys (also by Naoki).

Surprisingly, I find those stories more interesting.

Dear ANet writers,

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

CureForLiving.5360

Except, as we’ve seen through Dream and Nightmare, the Pale Tree doesn’t need the Avatar to speak. That thing only exists to make other races feel more comfortable when talking to the Pale Tree. Kind of like how in Mass Effect 3, EDI says the crew goes to her robotic body when they can communicate with her anywhere in the ship – the body is a familiarity to people, and more comfortable than some disembodied voice. The sylvari don’t have this discomfort, as they’ve known the disembodied voice all their life.

It still seems weird that the wardens would go to mend the Avatar.

Matter of perspective. Sylvari have physical bodies, they interact with each other physically face to face. Just because you deep down know something doesn’t mean you know know it, get what I’m saying? No probably not.
Ok so the sylvari interact in person, they interact with the pale tree in person as well, knowing the pale tree is all around them is one thing but having spent years talking to the avatar and being (because of their corporeal nature) predisposition to think and anthropomorphise (or would that he sylvarimorphise) is doesn’t really seem that odd to me.

Yes, but that’s like the difference between know and know-knowing… Ok so the Pale Tree sees the avatar as useless, but it doesn’t follow that the Sylvari think of it that way, or that they think of the Pale Tree as not being the avatar.
You see facts don’t matter when it comes to perception.

Main story (assuming you’re referring to Personal Story) is technically set in the past, we’re playing in the future. I know it’s complicated but it’s a MMO thing, everyone’s a time traveler.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

why didn’t Mordy do it a long time ago? "

Well, Mordremoth just woke up so that is why he didn’t, Zhaitan couldn’t affect the Sylvari with turning them so he probably didn’t see a point until his army was big enough to just march through the Grove, and any other baddies don’t have enough manpower to actually take her out.

And there’s a sylvari personal storyline where it’s a plot point that if the Nightmare Court found another tree, then the NC taking out the Pale Tree would be a serious possibility. The main thing holding them back is knowing that they’d doom themselves to extinction if they did.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: JusticarArkiel.1564

JusticarArkiel.1564

i felt the extreme urge to finish the job, thats about the extent of my “feels”

Fix what you have before you build something new

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

So, if only the Avatar died, can’t the Pale Tree just grow a new sprout avatar once it’s safe to resurface?

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Thalador.4218

As it has been said multiple times; the Avatar is just an ethereal projection, a “hologram.” The Pale Tree cannot “grow a new sprout.” Since she fell into coma from the injuries she’d sustained, the Avatar should’ve dispersed. When she — the Tree — is healed back up to the strength where she can project her sylvari image that she uses to communicate with non-sylvari again, she will do so under a moment’s notice.

Hence why the whole aftermath inside the chamber made no freaking sense. Funny how the writer has to hide behind player speculation and deem it “correct” instead of admitting that she made a mistake.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Wow…
I’ve have heard of angry nitpicking, but geez… this thread has got to take the cake…
So the Sylvari run to the Avatar of the Pale Tree…
Big flipping deal!
It gets the job done of visually showing the players that the Pale Tree is hurt after that attack.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

When she was injured, it was represented visibly by her avatar. In many ways, the avatar is her “face”. It’s not her entire body or being.

It’s like a reverse voodoo doll.

Any damage sustained to the Pale Tree itself is reflected on it’s Avatar. The Avatar itself might be useless, but the healers can still check it over to see where the most extensive injuries are though. Once they know where the critical injuries are located on the Avatar, they have a better understanding of where the Pale Tree itself is most injured. That way they can deploy menders to the key locations to better stabilize the Pale Tree’s condition, instead of just sending them around the Pale Tree to heal blindly.

And if the chamber could be consider the Pale Tree’s “heart”, it would make sense for the menders to go there first. They dragon, minions, and vines tore that chamber up during the battle. If the chamber is possibly the center of her being, they would have to work to mend and stabilize that area before moving onto and healing the other areas.

Wow…
I’ve have heard of angry nitpicking, but geez… this thread has got to take the cake…
So the Sylvari run to the Avatar of the Pale Tree…
Big flipping deal!
It gets the job done of visually showing the players that the Pale Tree is hurt after that attack.

I would have to agree. It’s like saying, “How dare someone run to their mother after seeing her get viciously attacked!”.

The Sylvari know that the whole Pale Tree itself is their mother, but if they are anything like me, I always picture the Avatar when I think of her. As Angel said, that’s the “face” she has given herself. In a moment of panic like that, I don’t blame them at all when they ran to her face to see if she’s alright.

(edited by Erukk.1408)

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

RedStar.4218

You guys are sort of missing the point. The complaint isn’t that they are rushing to the avatar, (well rushing…you clearly see the firstborns getting away because they know it’s fake), it’s that some of them are trying to tend to her “wounds”.

A fake avatar doesn’t have wounds. Just as there is no point in having an avatar on the ground. If the Pale Tree can’t even talk, how can she still have the strength to summon an avatar only to have it face down on the ground ?

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Palador.2170

A fake avatar doesn’t have wounds. Just as there is no point in having an avatar on the ground. If the Pale Tree can’t even talk, how can she still have the strength to summon an avatar only to have it face down on the ground ?

Actually, this is an easy one to answer.

It’s part of her, and it’s a part that doesn’t really take effort to sustain. For a human, it’s like the body systems that grow hair and fingernails. Even when you get badly hurt, those systems are usually still going. We don’t need to focus on making them work.

The reason she’s face down is because the Pale Tree is no longer in any shape to control her, she’s like a sock puppet on a comatose person’s hand.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

You guys are sort of missing the point. The complaint isn’t that they are rushing to the avatar, (well rushing…you clearly see the firstborns getting away because they know it’s fake), it’s that some of them are trying to tend to her “wounds”.

The avatar doesn’t have wounds, but it does show representations of the actual wounds sustained by the Tree on it’s body. Something that might come in handy when it comes to actually going out and mending the Tree. They might be able to tell just where the injury is located, and if an injured area is healed enough for them to move onto another area by seeing if the wound on the Avatar has faded or not.

Unless we have the full details of how the Pale Tree forms/formed her Avatar, we can’t really fully judge how it should act in certain circumstances. We only know that it’s there because the Pale Tree is being polite. Though, to me, since it is called an “avatar” that implies a bit more than a simply mental projection. It is a manifestation of a small part of a greater whole. It may not have physical substance, but it could very easily have magical substance like a ghost or spirit.

For all we know, the Avatar is simply existing because it has a small amount of magical reserves, and now that the Pale Tree is unconscious and can’t supply it with anymore magic, it will fade in a certain amount of time.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Konig Des Todes.2086

It actually isn’t part of her. As I explained in my post, the Avatar of the Pale Tree is an active choice to have formed – there was no Avatar of the Pale Tree before Cadeyrn left to form the Nightmare Court, as shown in the Dream and Nightmare blog post, and as shown there as well the Pale Tree can communicate without the need of the Avatar.

The Avatar exists to make non-sylvari comfortable talking to the tree. I doubt a charr would feel all that comfortable talking to an immobile giant tree and hearing a disembodied voice respond.

Furthermore, it’s been established that the avatar isn’t a physical thing but a mere manifestation (of ether, from what I recall). Such things should disappear, rather than fall limp, just the same as magical effects disappear if you get knocked out/killed (such as seen in Sea of Sorrows with the guardians on Balthazar’s Trident during the final naval battle).

Dear ANet writers,

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Konig where has it been established that the Avatar is ethereal, and not just a formed Sylvari body?

I think the dialogue indicates this, but alternative meanings can be read into it.

“I am not as I appear to you. This small body is but a manifestation I use to put visitors at ease. "

“Body” usually entails corporeal properties, but I could see it going the other way. “Manifestation” usually entails abstractness, but I could also see it going the other way… though “fabrication” would be a better term.

“Avatar” can go either way, and has throughout fiction. See “The Doctor” from Star Trek: Voyager as an incorporeal example, or EDI from Mass Effect 3 as an example of a corporeal avatar.

Either way it is odd to rush to an avatar.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Thiefz.3695

Thiefz.3695

I’d rather consider her a fancy mesmer construct. It would seem that the avatar works more along those lines than what was presented above.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Draaq Cz.9642

Draaq Cz.9642

Please erase the whole Sylvari race as a result of new dragon) Those who have created Sylvari toons will be unique in further game. No Pale Tree, no newborns. That would be awesome! A new race can replace them. Destroying LA was a starter point, let´s take it further

The best would be to erase cows but unfortunately this happens in jungle – trees.

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Konig, you’re so brutal to our Living Story Writers….

brings popcorn,
points at Konig,
applauds,

;)

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

SPOILER! All My Feels...

in Living World

Posted by: Ravenhunt.2735

Ravenhunt.2735

I felt so sad in this moment.

I m a Roleplayer, so i know about the story, that the avatar is a physical image of the spirit of the avatar, like the most players know.

But all in one, her cry let Meme (One of my “younger” sylvari PCs) run instantly to “her”, feared and worry about “her” mum, the pale tree.
And that the dragon attack the heart of her mum.

Then Meme fight against the biiiiig shadow like a little dervish to save her so beloved mum. ;_;

And yet the paly tree lies down… the entire tree hurt in pain and faded away.
Meme is now a sad young sylvari but she will fight Mordremoth with all her powers. \o/

She fight the dragon in mind to save her “mum”, the pale tree, so she can return to the tree in the future, see the pale tree in her full beatuy as before the fight.

(x___x i hope my english is understandable >_< )

Attachments:

Ventari says: “Act with wisdom, but act”
Meme says: “Meme?”