SPOILER: What bugged me about Eir's...

in Living World

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

…Memorial, is that when it tells you to “honor Eir however you want”, you really do not get to pick and choose. Talking to the individuals did not up the bar, only carving the ice sculptures, tending to Garm, and putting a flower at her statue were viable to fill up the bar. We do not get to honor “however we want”, in the end.

Honestly (and this would be an in-character thing for my toon), I wish that it could have given the option to drink from the ale (as well as eat food). Getting super drunk probably would have been my toon’s way of coping with the loss, as well as probably partying as a result. Alcohol is all over the game, and is even one reason why GW2 is rated Teen. So why couldn’t we have made our characters drink what we want during the memorial? Norn do it all the time, culturally-speaking.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I agree that some serious feasting and drinking, as well as a boasting competition, would have been nornish ways to honor the fallen. But what that line means in context is to pick the subset of things you want to do because you can’t do them all. After I tended Garm and laid roses at the statue (that latter being exactly what my nobleman would do, and has done for others he’s lost), I could only carve 2 blocks of ice (bear and raven) before the task was done. Next time in I’ll carve the other two things and then decide based on RP just which remaining two things to do.

in Living World

Posted by: Kalendraf.9521

Kalendraf.9521

I was looking for a drinking, feasting, boasting type of option for honoring her as well. I ended up carving the 4 blocks of ice and laying a rose at the statue at which point I was done. I felt a bit bummed that I didn’t get to do anything beyond that.

HoD – [CV] Charter Vanguard

in Living World

Moyayuki.3619

I was looking for a drinking, feasting, boasting type of option for honoring her as well. I ended up carving the 4 blocks of ice and laying a rose at the statue at which point I was done. I felt a bit bummed that I didn’t get to do anything beyond that.

Yeah, I honestly didn’t see any other options. The green stars were over the heads of some NPCs, but talking to them didn’t progress the task. Even us non-Norn want feasting and drinking and boasting! =P

in Living World

Posted by: Sir Alric.5078

Sir Alric.5078

You can also wash Garm with hot water and Dance while Shaman what’s-his-name plays the flute.

in Living World

Moyayuki.3619

EDIT: Another thing that, honestly, bothered me about the chapter/whatever you want to call it, is that your toon says that Eir died “in battle”, or something to that effect, which bothered me because I clearly remember her death and she did not go down fighting or doing anything honorable. She tried to escape the Vinetooth, then Faolain stabbed her and before she knew it, she was impaled by the Mordrem and died without a whimper. I understand if she was injured and starved, but it was the most pathetic way to kill off such an iconic character, and many things said during the memorial felt like lies to me… I know that’s harsh, but it is my opinion. =(

in Living World

Posted by: Sir Alric.5078

Sir Alric.5078

Why lies? I remember my character saying that she died killed by a powerful Winetooth. That’s exactly what happened, so no lies there.

in Living World

Moyayuki.3619

Why lies? I remember my character saying that she died killed by a powerful Winetooth. That’s exactly what happened, so no lies there.

My toon explicitly stated somewhere in that chapter that it was in battle. It may have been during a conversation with another NPC (I talked to as many of them as I was able).

in Living World

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I danced on a table at the funeral with no pants on to honour Eir. It didn’t count for anything but I feel it’s what she would have wanted.

in Living World

Posted by: Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Fighting for her life counts as a battle, unfortunately she lost.

Dinas Dragonbane, the Danger Ranger
Tri-Lead of Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

My toon explicitly stated somewhere in that chapter that it was in battle. It may have been during a conversation with another NPC (I talked to as many of them as I was able).

What is your character’s race? I’m pretty sure that has an effect. I know my asura talked about the Eternal Alchemy in the final speech, which I don’t see the other races doing.

in Living World

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I agree that some serious feasting and drinking, as well as a boasting competition, would have been nornish ways to honor the fallen. But what that line means in context is to pick the subset of things you want to do because you can’t do them all. After I tended Garm and laid roses at the statue (that latter being exactly what my nobleman would do, and has done for others he’s lost), I could only carve 2 blocks of ice (bear and raven) before the task was done. Next time in I’ll carve the other two things and then decide based on RP just which remaining two things to do.

My order is: Garm – flower – sculpture x4. Just you do two sculptures after the bar is full (worked for me a few times no issues). I imagine you can talk to people before the bar is full and still do the sculptures after, but wouldn’t swear to it. Sure the bar is full before you finish, but the shamans still talk about what your carving means.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

in Living World

Posted by: Reztek.7805

Reztek.7805

EDIT: Another thing that, honestly, bothered me about the chapter/whatever you want to call it, is that your toon says that Eir died “in battle”, or something to that effect, which bothered me because I clearly remember her death and she did not go down fighting or doing anything honorable. She tried to escape the Vinetooth, then Faolain stabbed her and before she knew it, she was impaled by the Mordrem and died without a whimper. I understand if she was injured and starved, but it was the most pathetic way to kill off such an iconic character, and many things said during the memorial felt like lies to me… I know that’s harsh, but it is my opinion. =(

Let’s see:
- She didn’t try to escape, they were on their way to reposition with the rest of the group.
- She could have moved along but stopped to help Faolain.
- She was betrayed and stabbed by Faolain.
- She got her revenge on Faolain.
- She turned around and faced the vinetooth, despite being defenseless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU5euLJ8pqY

So, nope … sounds rather clueless than harsh. :p

Ranger/Mesmer/Thief/Warrior/Elementalist/Guardian/Engineer/Necromancer/Revenant

in Living World

Moyayuki.3619

What is your character’s race? I’m pretty sure that has an effect. I know my asura talked about the Eternal Alchemy in the final speech, which I don’t see the other races doing.

Human male.

in Living World

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I will never get why Eir didn’t transform into her animal form and jumped against that vinetooth to die fighting with theet and claws like any normal Norn would have done.

My Asura also said she died in battle. I think it is true, although is more like she died “during a battle” than she died “while fighting”.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Living World

Posted by: Blads.6132

Blads.6132

I know I’m late to the party, but I just started playing LS3 with my alts and I noticed that using emotes is another way of “honoring Eir however you want”. Like Sir Alric said you can /dance next to the musician. /cry and /salute also fill the bar and /kneel even prompted a little dialog from my asura.

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

…Memorial, is that when it tells you to “honor Eir however you want”, you really do not get to pick and choose. Talking to the individuals did not up the bar, only carving the ice sculptures, tending to Garm, and putting a flower at her statue were viable to fill up the bar. We do not get to honor “however we want”, in the end.

Honestly (and this would be an in-character thing for my toon), I wish that it could have given the option to drink from the ale (as well as eat food). Getting super drunk probably would have been my toon’s way of coping with the loss, as well as probably partying as a result. Alcohol is all over the game, and is even one reason why GW2 is rated Teen. So why couldn’t we have made our characters drink what we want during the memorial? Norn do it all the time, culturally-speaking.

I completely agree. They should also have allowed you to repeat your preferred activity(s) to fill the bar.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I will never get why Eir didn’t transform into her animal form and jumped against that vinetooth to die fighting with theet and claws like any normal Norn would have done.

My Asura also said she died in battle. I think it is true, although is more like she died “during a battle” than she died “while fighting”.

I agree with this also – seeing Eir just meekly accepting her fate was lame. She should have been already angry over Faolin’s betrayal – so another attack should have set her off.

Not quite as important, but I was also upset by the change to her appearance in the final cut scene.

What happened to the proud warrior we’ve known throughout the game?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Why can’t I just magically rub Eir back to life, like I do with other players? Is she carrying a do-not-resurrect card?

in Living World

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Why can’t I just magically rub Eir back to life, like I do with other players? Is she carrying a do-not-resurrect card?

lol I love this….

Yes Please!!

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

in Living World

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Tending to Garm was before honoring, was it an option?

I typically started the person talking about when she was young while I carved the ice during her monologue and left 2 flowers for her.

in Living World

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

To be fair, people would tell a white lie in that situation to make the person killed sound more noble.