Scaling, overflow, and the waiting game.

in Living World

Posted by: adamcharr.8615

adamcharr.8615

I love the boss mechanics for these world bosses. I really do. But there is one major problem that leads to others…its the fact that these major bosses have a high minimum player requirement to succeed. This leads to overflows with less players on it and have little chance to be successful or a low population server that just doesn’t have enough people to succeed ever. Since overflows have little chance to be successful, people try hard to get into the main server and play the waiting game for hours. Waiting around for hours is not fun. Getting stuck in an overflow server because the advertised “Events that scale based on player count!” does not apply…is not fun. Being on a low population server and needing to guest to another to do a boss…is not fun. Anet PLEASE address this! Allow bosses to scale to a lower minimum player requirement. Your high player requirements only causes anger and frustration among the player base.

in Living World

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Very much agree with the scaling issue.

Requiring huge numbers of players to even attempt the fights leads to bandwagonning, frustrated players on low population servers and situations where we end up having to do these events with people other than our friends (ie, rely on guilds like TTS, as great as they are) to even experience the content in a reasonable setting.

Anet needs to realize that most servers simply cannot consistently field these numbers and that continuing to take the game this direction without merging servers, looking at underflow mechanics or (hopefully) designing challenging content that scales down to reasonable numbers based on current populations (25-30 so that people can realistically organize groups on every server), will only end badly.

Scaling is a great mechanic, but it only works if it goes in both directions. Basing scaling solely on servers like Blackgate or TC does a huge disservice to a large number of players.

Designing fights requiring complex coordination is fine – designing fights requiring huge numbers is not.

in Living World

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Indeed. I have the feeling that with each “epic encounter”, the maximum number of people being able to get into the main server and the minimum number of people you need to beat the event is getting closer and closer. That is not good. More so, i dont feel it as epic when a hundred people beat the boss as much as it would be epic if only a handful, very well played people do the same. You might argue that thats what dungeons are for, and i agree. But the discontent of many says that zerg events are grounds for frustration instead of fun 7-8 times out of 10 due to scaling issues..

in Living World

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

i got shoved into an almost empty overflow as the event started, twice.

quickly failed both times.

i dont really want to try it a third time.

scaling has a threshold that random overflows cannot meet.

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

in Living World

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Good point. While these mechanics are really fun and it’s great to get organised, it’s impossible to have everyone on TS – there always seem to be people who don’t read the chat or troll around. While I raged about that when Teq was up, no point raging again. But it should be noted that it is not fun when an event fails because of AFKers and players that are not investing. To avoid that, since this isn’t instanced and we cannot choose who we play with, it is really important which overflow one ends up in which leads to hours of waiting. Connection issues mess this up even further. And that is not fun gameplay. So scaling and fixed overflows would be much appreciated.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in Living World

Posted by: Morgoth Bauglyr.9726

Morgoth Bauglyr.9726

I thought the toxic hybrid scaling down to even one player was a great move.
Larger numbers don’t make a fight more ‘epic’ or ‘better’. The scaling system is there, not being used.

in Living World

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

The scaling system seems to be wonky in both directions. I have veteran larva eat damage that could drop a champ under other situations, and i barely registered on the health bar. And those larva, never mind the husks or wurms, keep spawning over and over and over. I am honestly not sure how ANet intends for us to deal with them given that we have no tank related mechanics.

in Living World

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

i got shoved into an almost empty overflow as the event started, twice.

quickly failed both times.

i dont really want to try it a third time.

scaling has a threshold that random overflows cannot meet.

It’s much worse than that. Scaling has a threshold that some SERVERS cant meet – at least not after the content has been out for a few days.

Fights need to scale down to more reasonable numbers (and I firmly believe they can do so without sacrificing complexity or difficulty).

If Tequatl and the worm fight scaled down for groups of 30-35+, it would make a ton of people happy (I know my guild would be in MMO heaven).