Scarlet Saves LA

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Did anyone put this theory forward yet reason there is no vines/Mordy in LA is because Layline under it was destroyed/depleted by the drill even though he attacked/activity the regions directly around it. Either that or Anet doesn’t want to attack LA for a 3rd…or more time if you count Zitan.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I’m pretty sure I saw a vine by the waypoint in Fort Marriner.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

One major flaw:

There are at least two vines in LA

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

kittenhough i had something there

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Lies and deceit. The Invasive Weed never saved anything.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Lies and deceit. The Invasive Weed never saved anything.

Yet…

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

You realize that Mordremoth wouldn’t even be awake if not for Scarlet’s destroying Lion’s Arch?

Yeah, she’s no hero. Stop trying. Please.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

Its entirely possible that Scarlet was directly puppeteered by Mordrem into awakening Mordremoth. However, it is also equally plausible that the aspect of Caera placed tech specifically designed to destroy Mordremoth.

Given the peculiar nature of her corruption, it is entirely possible for her to be a antagonist, wispers-esque hero and dragon champion at once.

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Konig Des Todes.2086

There was no “aspect of Ceara”. Why do people want to idolize – heroize, or whatever – a rather poor character and an obviously pure evil villain at that?

Just like Taimi… and what did the little pipsqueek do? Oh, yes, ran into a “makes-you-insane” device as it turns on…

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

There was no “aspect of Ceara”. Why do people want to idolize – heroize, or whatever – a rather poor character and an obviously pure evil villain at that?

Just like Taimi… and what did the little pipsqueek do? Oh, yes, ran into a “makes-you-insane” device as it turns on…

The Device makes you insane, pretty much only: if you’re Sylvari and either part of The Soundless or The Nightmare Court.

But still, there might have been something left of Cearas personality, but we don’t know, we’ll see in the future…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

So the reason she saved Lion’s Arch is because she destroyed it before someone else did?

I guess that’s how criminals reason…‘I saved the person from being robbed because I took all the valuables from their house!’

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

(edited by ThiBash.5634)

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

So the reason she saved Lion’s Arch is because she destroyed it before someone else did?

I guess that’s how criminals reason…‘I saved the person from being robbed because I took all the valuables from their house!’

and burnt it to the ground so no one could rob it

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

You realize that Mordremoth wouldn’t even be awake if not for Scarlet’s destroying Lion’s Arch?

Mordremoth would’ve woken up eventually anyway, with or without Scarlet. Regardless, unless you have an explanation for Scarlet’s statement where she said Tyria will need her one day, there will always be people questioning, “Was she really the villain people think she is?”

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

I’m going to play off the theory that the Giant Marionette was a consulted cry for help, Caera’s control of Scarlet’s identity was failing, but before that point she set plans against her ‘master’. Or something. These are just baseless theories that might be confirmed in the weeks to come. Take them with a grain of salt, but don’t discount them completely.

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Mordremoth would’ve woken up eventually anyway, with or without Scarlet. Regardless, unless you have an explanation for Scarlet’s statement where she said Tyria will need her one day, there will always be people questioning, “Was she really the villain people think she is?”

I think your right Mordremoth would of woken up and with more power because of zhaitan’s death but the shock that got Mordremoth up now is like getting some one up before they are ready so he week atm that why he using his vines to draw in as much power as he can. Think of it this way zhaitan moved a land mass with this power yet Mordremoth only can muster growing vines. Mordremoth is not nearly as powerful as zhaitan but he is trying to get to that point. I say Scarlet saved the world from another major zhaitan event at the cost of many lives but no where as near as the live that would of been lost if Mordremoth was at full power.

As for the next dragon we are not going to have the help of some one like scarlet because these dragon are already up and doing things they just have not made there move yet. So that could be the “miss her when she gone” ideal.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Because of the things she says which implies she feels that she’s helping the world somehow.

It’s not like we know why she did it yet.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

maybe she awaken him earlier then suppose to, if she didn’t the circumstances could’ve bin worse.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Before wondering if anything Scarlet said might be profound, meaningful or prophetic, consider that she once tried to cook Faren in a giant pot before gleefully coming at us cartoon-style with a giant hammer. I never did figure out how all of that contributed to her masterplan.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Before wondering if anything Scarlet said might be profound, meaningful or prophetic, consider that she once tried to cook Faren in a giant pot before gleefully coming at us cartoon-style with a giant hammer. I never did figure out how all of that contributed to her masterplan.

Twas to show her unstableness and insanity, I guess? Had she not come out into the open, we would have found out her plan too late, so one could guess that the Caera part of her forced her to show herself off to the world so Tyria would be fully aware that a new threat was here, build up for it, kill her, only for the forces to already be on standby for Mordremoth.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Nilkemia.8507

The Device makes you insane, pretty much only: if you’re Sylvari and either part of The Soundless or The Nightmare Court.

But still, there might have been something left of Cearas personality, but we don’t know, we’ll see in the future…

No solid indication of that so far, only implied. Aerin hadn’t gone to the machine at all (as far as we know, and I doubt he’d have time to while chasing Mr. Peace), only going crazy after joining the Zephyrites in the sky. And, since no Nightmare Court have used the machine either, no indication if they would go….any more crazy then they already are.

Um….yes. Yes she was the villain we thought she was. And that garbage of “Tyria will need me” is so far just her self conceitedness and sense of being better than everyone else.

And yes, Mordremoth would’ve woken eventually, but we’d have had more time to prepare for it as well (our character knew it name already anyway), aside from the fact that the Invasive Weed tied up our efforts with having to deal with her shenanigans.

She really wanted to help? Could’ve just taken all those Aetherblade airships/troops over to where Mordremoth’s body was and firebomb it first, then slam the Breachmaker drill into it’s face. As stupid as that sounds, even that would’ve been better than all then nonsense she did.

Because of the things she says which implies she feels that she’s helping the world somehow.

Hah! The only thing worthwhile she might’ve done was getting those alliances to make those unlimited harvesting tools and skins for us to get later. (Well…the tools anyway. The skins require stupid BL ticket grinding)

Neither did I.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

I’m going to play off the theory that the Giant Marionette was a consulted cry for help, Caera’s control of Scarlet’s identity was failing, but before that point she set plans against her ‘master’. Or something. These are just baseless theories that might be confirmed in the weeks to come. Take them with a grain of salt, but don’t discount them completely.

I don’t see this as baseless theory. In RL, I trained and have worked as a medical assistant. I’ve come across many mental illness patients, and I’m currently caring for one such patient as a caregiver. I know the signs when said patients are asking for help in odd ways.

Ceara was asking for help by leaving her journal and other clues in her lair under the Durmand Priory. The fact that her clockwork monsters dropped the keys to her DP lair during the Marionette event said that she wanted the PCs to enter the locked area.

I do think Ceara and Scarlet are two different entities. You can read more about my idea here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/s2/Secret-lair-hologram-dialogue-spoilers/first#post4231994

BTW, I use that “baseless theory” as part of the background of my RP character, Lapis. I still think it has some merit. We will see in the updates to come.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

I think I can help clear this up.

This event happened for two reasons: (1) to illustrate her character and (2) Faren was her test subject for creating the toxin that was later used in the Nightmare tower.

Re: Reason 1: During the Nightmare Tower, Scarlet brags to the PC about her conquests. In the cutscene, she says, “I do miss the charming Lord Faren and his fancy panties!”

If you haven’t seen the cutscene at the end of the Nightmare Tower event, you will find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbFVUI_aqbU

To me, that line implied that she was obsessed with him. She could of commented on anything else about him. Instead she mentioned his “fancy panties”. What goes through your mind when a person mentions another’s person’s underwear? The thought thru my mind is that she had a crush on him. That crush became her obsession. Then she started stalking him. The she caught him and tried to… “get it on” with him. (Apologies to the adults reading this. I refuse to go into detail. Use your uncensored imagination, people!) This incident reminded me of the Stephen King movie, Misery. (If Misery had a sexualized element in it that is… God, I love the innuendo in this game! LOL! Moving on… )

As a female in RL, I do find Lord Faren to be very cute and goofy. If he were real, he would be boyfriend material. It doesn’t surprise me that a female character in this game would have the same admiration for him.

RE: Reason 2: Scarlet used Lord Faren in her alchemy experiments. That’s why she had him in oil in a cage while she was handling a flamethrower. In the gameplay videos I watched, I saw Scarlet try to light the wood at the base of the cage. I think she was doing an experiment to see how fast Lord Faren would die. This experiment was a mini version of what we experienced later in the Nightmare Tower.

(Unrelated NOTE: Sure the kiddies thought the whole thing with Scarlet was boring, but that’s due to the fact that they’re not seeing the situation through adult eyes. BTW I’m always going to miss that cute, crazy plant. R.I.P Ceara! Thanks for the good times!)

(edited by kta.6502)

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

How does boiling someone alive in a giant cooking pot compare at all with suffocating on nasty spores?

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

But she wasn’t pure evil….

Despite not being a fan of the character myself, I’m going to have to disagree with you. Ceara and Scarlet were two different personalities and we still don’t know what plans she had to follow up with had she not died in LA at the hands of the player. While I think the whole tragic-villain cliche is often abused in GW2, I don’t think we should let our personal dislike towards the character completely invalidate the character itself. People are just trying to latch onto the lonely little scholar who wanted to pursue knowledge without jeopardizing innocent and unfortunate souls who crossed her path, it wasn’t until Omadd and the events that followed that changed her to not giving a frag.

The aliens in Independence Day were pure evil, Scarlet was not.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Ceara wasn’t evil, no, but she was also cunning, manipulative and selfish. She valued other people only as much as they could benefit her, discarding or abandoning them as soon as they had nothing more to offer her.

Scarlet didn’t turn into a full-on psychotic villain until she went into Omadd’s machine, but she certainly wasn’t somebody I’d like to associate with either.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Actually, waking an elder dragon is the modern day equivalent of a nuclear war. An armageddon that could wipe out whole civilizations permanently.That really is pure evil.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

What if, now hear me out, what if, when she kept saying she was saving the world and we would all need her, she was actually crazy and incorrect.

Don’t the Risen promise salvation in Zhaitan? To be honest, I trust what they say a lot more than what Scarlet says.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: biofrog.1568

biofrog.1568

My theory is a simple one I think.

While Scarlet was an aspect of Omadd’s machine and she was creating the Steam creatures and trying to expose the ley lines, Ceara was still still present and trying to fight back by against Scarlet by creating a toxin that would kill the vines.

Eventually Scarlet won over at the cost of her life. The quote: “Caithe, someday you’ll see. Tyria needs me.” was Ceara’s last message.

IE: The toxin’s were created to kill the vines and stop Mordremoth from awakening, but we kill the toxic creatures and that’s why by doing the right thing, the greater worse thing will happen.

“There’s no lag but what we make.” – biofrog

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Nilkemia.8507

People are just trying to latch onto the lonely little scholar who wanted to pursue knowledge without jeopardizing innocent and unfortunate souls who crossed her path, it wasn’t until Omadd and the events that followed that changed her to not giving a frag.

Funny that, the short story “What Scarlet Saw” clearly states that she joined up with the Inquest (who are unashamedly evil) out of her own free will, and may have even helped trigger the Thaumanova incident, before going back with Omadd to the mind opening device.

In addition to that, one of her holorecordings (from her secret room) notes:

“I’ve landed a lab assistant position with Omadd, an intelligent but overly gentle asura. I should be able to wrap him around my little finger.”

She was selfish, conceited, and manipulative even then under that seemingly “innocent” exterior. The device only completed a fall that was doomed to happen eventually.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Omg Im Target.3095

Omg Im Target.3095

We all know our true savior

Attachments:

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

Funny that, the short story “What Scarlet Saw” clearly states that she joined up with the Inquest (who are unashamedly evil) out of her own free will, and may have even helped trigger the Thaumanova incident, before going back with Omadd to the mind opening device.

Keep in mind how Asura culture works. Inquest are allowed to participate in projects as is part of the story, they’re just more devious in regards to competition than their colleagues. It’s similar to the Svanir in some regards.

“I’ve landed a lab assistant position with Omadd, an intelligent but overly gentle asura. I should be able to wrap him around my little finger.”

She was selfish, conceited, and manipulative even then under that seemingly “innocent” exterior. The device only completed a fall that was doomed to happen eventually.

She was most definitely selfish but there’s a difference between watching a child try to get their ball from the middle of the street and literally pushing them into the middle of the street in the hopes a car hits them. The comment regarding wrapping Omadd around her finger is more of a means to get what she wants but there’s no malice behind her words initially. It’s not until she leaves the machine, chokes him with thorny vines, and renames herself Scarlet that she dons a completely new persona.

While she pursued knowledge, she didn’t actively seek demise of individuals caught in her wake. No, she was just an open minded Sylvari who wanted to make her place on the world, to break free from the burden of destiny the Pale Tree put on all Sylvari. Hell, she was afraid when we she saw an unseen force strangling the Pale Tree, she wanted to stop it and we still don’t know what plans she had to follow up with had LA been a success that saw her alive.

That’s not to say she was saving LA by any means however. She was already Scarlet by then and clearly attempted to kill any and all that stood in her way. Saren (Mass Effect) thought the only way to be saved was through joining the Reapers rather than fighting them, although indoctrination played a crucial role as well which he underestimated; he was actively finding ways to combat it so that in the hopes of controlling the Reapers he could ensure the survival of his species and those worthy of being saved.

The aliens in Independence Day had one goal in mind when coming to Earth. Destroy. That was it, there wasn’t any attempt to achieve balance or cultivate the late so they could live in harmony with mankind. No, they saw a species and wanted to eradicate them because they could.

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Konig Des Todes.2086

You base your statement off of nothing. By all knowledge, it was the machine that broke Scarlet’s ties to the Dream – ergo, she wasn’t Soundless or a Courtier before entering.

Yes, it would have woken up eventually… in about fifty years. The Elder Dragons naturally awoke 50 years apart (roughly) and the previous dragon to awake, Kralkatorrik, did so 7 years prior to Mordremoth’s awakening.

By which point the other five Elder Dragons would likely be dead or put to sleep by the Pact, and they’d be ready for its awakening if not having found a way to prevent it from waking or killing it in its sleep.

As for why she thought Tyria would need her. She was a narcissist and an egomaniac. It was explained right after her reveal – sadly via interview – that she thought nothing can stop her or become a true nuisance except maybe an Elder Dragon. Just because she thought Tyria needed her… doesn’t mean she was doing good to Tyria. A criminal – especially psychopaths and egomaniacs – will never claim that they are a criminal. They picture themselves as doing what is necessary – for themselves or for others, depending on the individual – and seldom recognize their actions as “evil without good intentions”. Taking Scarlet’s words for being ‘needed’ or a ‘hero’ is as trustworthy as listening to Adolf Hitler saying he’s saving Germany from dying.

I think your right Mordremoth would of woken up and with more power because of zhaitan’s death but the shock that got Mordremoth up now is like getting some one up before they are ready so he week atm that why he using his vines to draw in as much power as he can. Think of it this way zhaitan moved a land mass with this power yet Mordremoth only can muster growing vines. Mordremoth is not nearly as powerful as zhaitan but he is trying to get to that point. I say Scarlet saved the world from another major zhaitan event at the cost of many lives but no where as near as the live that would of been lost if Mordremoth was at full power.

As for the next dragon we are not going to have the help of some one like scarlet because these dragon are already up and doing things they just have not made there move yet. So that could be the “miss her when she gone” ideal.

I fail to see how slowly waking by absorbing magic would be waking more powerfully than being spoonfed a humongous amount of magical energy – continuously I might add. The Elder Dragons don’t normally wake by feeding off of ley lines – and Scarlet redirected multiple ley lines straight into Mordremoth (and at at least two intersections possibly three). She gave Mordremoth a feast in bed, as opposed to the other dragon champions like Drakkar giving their dragon a simple breakfast in bed.

And Zhaitan’s death shouldn’t affect the immediate power level of an Elder Dragon when awakening, since the amount of magic they require to wake up would be the same irregardless. At best, it would merely alter how soon the Elder Dragon can awake, and later on how powerful it can become at its apex before being forced to slumber due to lack of food.

Would you listen to Osama Bin Ladin saying that he blew up the Twin Towers for the good of Earth? I don’t think you would – so why would you listen to Scarlet who pretty much did the same thing but worse?

And it seems pretty obvious why she did it – she intended to pit forces against each other (Elder Dragons and perhaps the Pale Tree) to redesign the world (or at least the sylvari) in her desired ways.

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Konig Des Todes.2086

But she wasn’t pure evil….

Despite not being a fan of the character myself, I’m going to have to disagree with you. Ceara and Scarlet were two different personalities and we still don’t know what plans she had to follow up with had she not died in LA at the hands of the player. While I think the whole tragic-villain cliche is often abused in GW2, I don’t think we should let our personal dislike towards the character completely invalidate the character itself. People are just trying to latch onto the lonely little scholar who wanted to pursue knowledge without jeopardizing innocent and unfortunate souls who crossed her path, it wasn’t until Omadd and the events that followed that changed her to not giving a frag.

The aliens in Independence Day were pure evil, Scarlet was not.

Ceara and Scarlet are indeed different personalities. Ceara was amoral (the fact she could use black market dealings, be so carefree, work with the Inquest, and even create the Steam creatures as Ceara is proof of this), but Scarlet seemed purely intent to cause chaos and anarchy – aka immoral. Ceara died when she went into Omadd’s Machine. She was never seen or heard from again. Scarlet was hinted at to before entering the machine given new knowledge on her timeline and the journal from S1 combined with the hologram in S2E1 where her voice changes once she had been in the machine (her S1 journal’s voice was the same as the Ceara voice, from before the machine experience).

Hence why I said there was no “aspect of Ceara”. Scarlet had no tragedy involved. It is right to consider Ceara and Scarlet Briar as different individuals – different personalities – but there is no reason to believe they existed at the same time.

Dear ANet writers,

Scarlet Saves LA

in Living World

Posted by: Sorann Peace.9056

Sorann Peace.9056

We all know our true savior

Post of the Year 2014. Totally.

On a more serious note, no, Trahearne is not our true savior. Our true savior should be quite obvious.

……

What? Don’t look at me like that.