Season 1 | Lack of Major Male Characters!

in Living World

Posted by: Leshain.6720

Leshain.6720

Oi’ people keep talking about the whole “relationships” deal going on in season 1 with the two human female characters going all kissy face on each otha’.

I couldn’t find a topic on this, but i have to say, the writers at arena net so far have been extremely biased when it comes to story character screen time from season 1.

But the real issue, in my opinion, (from a balanced cast of major characters perspective) is the lack of focus on major kitten male characters, mainly human.

Example for Season 1:
(Marj, Kas, Rox, Taimi, Scarlet, Mai Trin, Ellen Kiel, Turma > Braham, Captain Magnus, Evon, Canach)

I most likely missed some on both gender sides but I’m pretty sure i ain’t far off target. That is 8 to 4, literally double the amount of female focus to males.

I would have enjoyed it more if there were at least “SOME” strong male leads, there is none. Logan is stupid and has lady issues, Braham has mommy issues and eats too much ham, Lord Faren is the fool of tyria, Canach was on the right track since he was actually a loose cannon kitten at first but the writers nerfed him right at the ending in terms of personality.

Jus’ sayin it kinda ruined the experience for me, nothin wrong with a strong cool female character, but kitten mang balance the scales for season 2 please.

Pick any lad from this wallpaper and it’ll be all gewd.

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: Vampirial.9056

Vampirial.9056

Tassai the asuran researcher was a strong male lead

in Living World

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

We also have E, who is still a “mystery” in terms of 100% confirmation. Sure Logan doesn’t make the best choices at times (which the whole Glint thing was more Jennah’s fault and the link they have), but he does his duty like a boss. Braham’s issues with Eir don’t really get brought up at every turn. Lord Faren is really just a fool (or is he…) There’s also the best character so far. Job-o-Tron/Hobo-Tron/Ho-Ho-Tron/Heal-o-Tron. Even though it’s a golem, pretty sure he’s kinda a male golem.

There’s a good chance there will be more focus on other characters (and maybe more males) in the second arc. But the truth is, the world of games is still in need of “strong” female characters. Although there weren’t many “strong” males in this arc, as a broad whole, females are trailing behind.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

(edited by Sera.6539)

in Living World

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Are you saying characters in the game world should replicate population demographics in the real world and that the choice of character gender matters?

in Living World

Posted by: GRexCarolinii.9604

GRexCarolinii.9604

personally (and speaking as a female player)
I really, really like the female heavy cast. It makes such a good contrast to very nearly every single other game ever. There are just too few female characters in games in general, and even then, they fall into a Lara Croft Syndrome (strong female character, but hypersexualised/objectified).

however: I also feel the focus on gender is too strong, and we should really be looking at toher things. IMO A-Net have done a great job of bringing us a variety of interesting characters.
There are immature ones (Braham and Rox, albeit in very different ways)
strong stoic characts (Marjory, Eir)
completely smitten characters (Kasmeer, Logan)
strong characters that also show emotion (Kasmeer again)
compeltely insane characters (Scarlet Briar)

and so many more – they just now need a story to really present them well enough ^

in Living World

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

I was talking with my dad about this phenomena the other day, but as it related to the Star Trek comic and how wonderfully strange it was to me to see the Enterprise with all girls and one guy instead of all guys and one girl. I couldn’t believe how weird it felt to see that, when a crew with all men was something I didn’t bat an eye at. Perhaps that’s what’s going on here. We’ve seen the opposite for so long that a female-driven cast is suddenly ~unbalanced~, where a male-driven cast is considered default.

I like that this game is aiming to give meaty arcs to traditionally under-represented portions of the real world population. And I definitely don’t think that male characters having flaws is somehow an insult to them. Rather, I think that their season 1 intros are a wonderful set-up to give them a character arc for season 2 that’s actually compelling and emotionally involving. Will Rox’s search for acceptance into a new warband (vs the “family she chose” in Braham and co) inspire Braham to try to repair the relationship he has with his mom? Does Canach mean what he says about repenting or is it just a slippery way to shrug off suspicion and fade into the background for more covertish shenanigans? Magnus is going to have to do something about his kittenty Captain’s Council and Evon’s set up to be some prime opposition to that goal, as well as influencing Heal-O-Tron in a probably negative way. If these men weren’t somehow flawed, if the women were just Strong Female Characters, I would care so much less about all of them.

I’m just excited to see how everyone’s semi-conflicting ideas end up clashing or merging through Season 2.

eta: And I’m amused at people who think that Kasmeer hasn’t had people calling her a vacuous airhead, or Marjory a terrible detective, or Kiel a useless paladin. Everyone sees these characters differently, I guess. I don’t see how Canach, Evon or Braham are idiots or fools. One is a crafty businessman, one is/was a crafty and caring anarchist, and one is brave warrior who stood basically alone to defend his home against terrible odds.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

(edited by kimeekat.2548)

in Living World

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Well, now you know how we females feel with just about any other game or movie which has a predominant male cast. This is refreshing for once.

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Hot chicks in skimpy outfits, that’s what I want to see.

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Having a larger female presence in Tyria is natural in my opinion. Just take a look at the history and setting.

• Of the 6 human Gods, 4 are Female
  • Playable Charr oppose a Legion which view females as nothing but Baby Machines
  • The Sons of Svanir are an all-male Villain cast (I honestly think we need to see the Daughters of Jora)
  • Sylvari do not have Gender Roles, though the Pale Tree takes the form of a female

As for the Asura, I don’t think gender is important to them so much as intelligence and accomplishment is. In short, all these societies either have something which -empowers- women (Humans, Norn, and Charr), makes gender inconsequential (Sylvari), or promotes excellence despite gender (Asura).

So, a strong female cast makes sense and is true to the story and the setting. I expect to see more of them (Please bring in the Daughters of Jora already, I want to see Blood Wash Blood). Although, yes, I would like to see a few strong male characters. That, or allow the existing male characters to grow into being stronger, overcoming their weaknesses. I’m eagerly awaiting the day Logan and Jennah get married and can act more like themselves.

in Living World

Leshain.6720

the choice of character gender matters?

It matters, you can only relate so far when the cast is so unbalanced. That goes both ways mind you, i ain’t biased here.

in Living World

Leshain.6720

• Playable Charr oppose a Legion which view females as nothing but Baby Machines
  • The Sons of Svanir are an all-male Villain cast (I honestly think we need to see the Daughters of Jora)
  • Sylvari do not have Gender Roles, though the Pale Tree takes the form of a female

1. To be fair “Gods” is an overstatement in most cases, more like very powerful otherworldly beings who achieved a high level of power but can still be killed or replaced. As for the gender balance of the “super beings” yeah i noticed, I think the people at arena net are just generally biased in the favor of writing female characters.

Reminds me of a certain group of writers i use to know when i was part of a pc game project, they all wrote female characters, while me and one other on the team (the other being a girl) were the only ones to write in male protagonists.

2. I have no bloody idea what you mean here, lol.

3. I forgot about the sons, good point! I don’t think there is a kitten among them though, like one guy who really stands out as a on-going threat.

4. That is another key thing i noticed, why not father tree? But than again… I don’t like the sylvari.

in Living World

Vexander.9850

It matters, you can only relate so far when the cast is so unbalanced. That goes both ways mind you, i ain’t biased here.

Maybe I can relate fine because my home is pretty much full of female relatives, no male relatives, and legitimately half of my friends are female. The group I hang out with most are 2 males, 2 females, and I’m one of the males. However, I can see your point for certain. Just because the setting provides a lot of empowerment and background opportunities for female characters doesn’t mean it doesn’t do the same for male characters.

As long as -all- characters we get are well developed and fit into the story, I’ll be happy.

in Living World

Vexander.9850

1. To be fair “Gods” is an overstatement in most cases, more like very powerful otherworldly beings who achieved a high level of power but can still be killed or replaced. As for the gender balance of the “super beings” yeah i noticed, I think the people at arena net are just generally biased in the favor of writing female characters.

Reminds me of a certain group of writers i use to know when i was part of a pc game project, they all wrote female characters, while me and one other on the team (the other being a girl) were the only ones to write in male protagonists.

2. I have no bloody idea what you mean here, lol.

3. I forgot about the sons, good point! I don’t think there is a kitten among them though, like one guy who really stands out as a on-going threat.

4. That is another key thing i noticed, why not father tree? But than again… I don’t like the sylvari.

1. I don’t really have anything to comment on here. I suppose I could add the head of the Pantheon of the Six is Dwayna, a Goddess, as another point in favor of empowering female characters though.

2. The Flame Legion has a very dismal view on female charr, which is essentially that they should stay in the kitchen unless they’re having a baby, which they should be having frequently to keep the numbers of the Charr strong.

3. Yeah there isn’t really a singular strong Son of Svanir at this time. Could always change I suppose.

4. Well, I can see why they went with, ‘Mother,’ Tree since she gives birth to the Sylvari race, unless the Sylvari are to be comparable to Sea Horses. It makes them more relatable to the rest of Tyria.

in Living World

Leshain.6720

Maybe I can relate fine because my home is pretty much full of female relatives, no male relatives, and legitimately half of my friends are female. The group I hang out with most are 2 males, 2 females, and I’m one of the males. However, I can see your point for certain. Just because the setting provides a lot of empowerment and background opportunities for female characters doesn’t mean it doesn’t do the same for male characters.

As long as -all- characters we get are well developed and fit into the story, I’ll be happy.

Aye, I am in the same boat as you it seems when it comes to irl in terms of family/relatives, more girls than guys, at least in my area, the total family is more balanced but where I am at, girls everywhere.

Great post mate, agreed wif’ everything ya said.

in Living World

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Am I the only one who doesn’t care which gender has a prominent role? o.O

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in Living World

Vexander.9850

Am I the only one who doesn’t care which gender has a prominent role? o.O

Nope. Most people just want a good game and a decent story.

in Living World

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I personally don’t care about gender. Let’s not forget this is a different world and culture(s) so femmes may be more prominent in ways different than we perceive them in what we know. Hommes also have different prominence in other ways. (possibly Sylvari are truly asexual) I see these characters being comfortable within their cultures. One should not try to see others through their own cultural view which can distort but look and see what you can see about that culture and what works and doesn’t work for it. I think ANet has done this quite nicely.

in Living World

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

I don’t really care, as long as they’re strong characters.

Oh yeah, and mini skirts.

in Living World

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

Don’t hate on Braham and Faren! They are beautiful!

In all seriousness though, yes, I have noticed this. That said, I don’t think it’s a problem—and I quite like it.
In most games of the past, the issue is the exact opposite—there are twice as many men as women—or virtually no women. Thing is, that became a problem because it happened across many, many, many games. Guild Wars 2 is just a single game. For Season 1, the writers focused on a lot of female characters—and that’s all right. There is still a ton of room for prominent males—Canach, Magnus, Evon, Braham, Trahearne, Rytlock, and yes even Logan—to develop as characters. Plus, with the Jungle Dragon waking up, we can expect new maps in the Maguuma Jungle, and new characters—some of whom will be males—to go along with them.
In particular, I think that due to the way Logan and Canach have been portrayed, we’re going to see a lot more of those two soon. Destiny’s Edge 2.0 still needs a salad, and my bet’s on Canach for that role.

(edited by Weindrasi.3805)

in Living World

Posted by: bullyrook.2165

bullyrook.2165

I like Braham, can we get a rude but totally awesome male character with the new season?

in Living World

Vexander.9850

I like Braham, can we get a rude but totally awesome male character with the new season?

I totally want a Gentleman and a Scholar type of male character myself.

in Living World

bullyrook.2165

How about both?

in Living World

Vexander.9850

How about both?

Sure! They’ll be a gay couple too.

in Living World

bullyrook.2165

Why? We already have jory and kas.

in Living World

Vexander.9850

Why? We already have jory and kas.

Cause the only male gay couple in the game is a pair of Sylvari in their Personal Story. Not like these two will kiss or flirt. It’ll just be optional dialogue, not put into any cutscenes or anything.

in Living World

bullyrook.2165

I said the same thing about Kas and Jory.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I think Braham is a strong male character. He’s not perfect, but that’s the point; he feels like a real character. He has his strengths, his flaws, and some issues, but so does everybody.

I really liked the scene where he broke his leg, yet encouraged Rox to go ahead and kill Scarlet, because it showed he knew just how much joining the warband meant to her. He didn’t want to deprive her of that opportunity, even though he knew that doing so would mean he would hardly ever get to see her again. That, to me, showed that he was a true friend.

Yes, I wouldn’t mind seeing some more well fleshed out, believable male characters, but I primarily want to see fleshed out believable characters, full stop.

in Living World

Posted by: ShibVicious.9681

ShibVicious.9681

Tbh I didn’t even realise that there was a lack of male characters, but either way don’t worry guys. I’m sure everyones favourite male character, Trahearne will be back for the second season.

in Living World

Vexander.9850

Tbh I didn’t even realise that there was a lack of male characters, but either way don’t worry guys. I’m sure everyones favourite male character, Trahearne will be back for the second season.

I doubt it. His Wyld Hunt is done. His story has concluded. He can spend the rest of his days relaxing on the beaches of Orr while it slowly returns to life.

in Living World

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

I couldn’t believe how weird it felt to see that, when a crew with all men was something I didn’t bat an eye at. Perhaps that’s what’s going on here. We’ve seen the opposite for so long that a female-driven cast is suddenly ~unbalanced~, where a male-driven cast is considered default.

Pretty much this. You can have 9 out of 10 games with primarily male leads and if one has more women suddenly there are people who want affirmative action for males, as if they weren’t being adequately represented. It would be like someone criticizing Tyler Perry for not having enough white folks in his movies because they’re not being represented there enough.

If they choose to add some competent males to the cast, that’s great, but any cry for doing so out of a sense of “balance” or male under-representation is kinda ridiculous in the greater context of video games and action-fiction in general. It’s ok to let the ladies have one once in awhile, guys.

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I don’t really agree with the idea of “keeping score” and clumping all games together as a whole. Saying things like “Well, all these other games have male-heavy casts so this one having a female-heavy cast is good” seems a bit silly and petty, really. I should think games should strive for a balance on an individual basis, rather than pointing at other games and saying “Well we’re just making up for them”.

Not that the mostly-female cast really bothers me that much. I certainly wouldn’t mind one or two more male characters, particularly for the biconics or whatever the group of Braham, Kasmeer, Rox, and Majory and Taimi is called (assuming Taimi is actually part of the group). If nothing else than for the sake of variety. But I’m not really freaking out about it or anything, and wouldn’t even care enough to bring it up myself.

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Guild Wars should not be held accountable for other games gender bias.

Personally I am not really upset about having more female leads than male, I am just annoyed at just how poorly conceived the male leads are and that the female leads have much strong characterization and qualities.

Braham is a dolt even if some people like him, it does not stop him from being a complete useless idiot. He fawns over a horrid woman most of the living story and spolier breaks his leg in the final battle. Arena Net have only written two male characters more pathetic than him, Faren and the Minstrel.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Living World

Posted by: Sixtyfivekid.5726

Sixtyfivekid.5726

Yes, it very much should.
Guild Wars is part of an industry and culture that diminishes women and treats them as a collection of tropes rather than actual characters/persons. It is everyone’s job to do something about that.

in Living World

Aedelric.1287

Yes, it very much should.
Guild Wars is part of an industry and culture that diminishes women and treats them as a collection of tropes rather than actual characters/persons. It is everyone’s job to do something about that.

So what about the other point I made about male characters not having equal strong characterization and qualities? You completely ignored the main point of my post.

Arena Net do not run the gaming industry and it is not their responsibility to rectify other peoples mistakes. Plus making a gender bias in their own game is actually promoting inequality, fyi.

Anyway, I do not have a problem with male or female bias so long as the characters are good and the reasoning is decently thought out. My issue is the poor quality of writing and lack of likable and competent male leads.

in Living World

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

Just some positive notes about some male characters.

Braham

When the Molten Alliance attacked in early 1326 AE, Braham went to the Black Citadel for aid from Rytlock Brimstone for defending Cragstead, and when that failed went to Hoelbrak to seek aid from his mother and Knut Whitebear which also failed.

He’s proactive instead of waiting around, he’s not afraid to be shameful and ask for help from a person he has resentment for. He aimed to save his homestead from danger, Ottilia just being one of the people he wanted to find/help. It’s not his fault that Ottilia was fickle. In the beginning, this is what she said about Braham: “Yes. But, if it weren’t for Braham, I wouldn’t be here at all. He found me, you know? No one has ever done anything like that for me before. He…he…he’s amazing.” But once she got the chance to travel, she took it. Better for her to leave Braham’s life than resent him and stay. Braham also worked to rebuild Cragstead, making it a haven for refugees displaced by the Molten Alliance.

Not to mention, he’s a true friend to Rox, as evident from this living story update. He knew how much getting into the Stone Warband meant to Rox. He put her wants before his.

Lord Faren
A special character, he has living story involvement, and personal story involvement.
He’s the former host of the Divinity’s Reach Fanciest Cat competition. That likely means he’s charismatic. He’s also a noble, though we don’t know if totally by his parents, or if he’s had part in his own wealth. He is the player character (human noble)’s friend, throwing a party for him/her in the initial story quests. He goes with you to fight the bandits and rescue hostages.

He is intuitive and knows people.

Lord Faren: No common thug would use such expensive parchment. There’s a papermaker at the trading post named Cin Fursarai — terribly prickly man, but I bet he could identify the design.

He’s one of three characters, alongside Countess Anise, and Logan that you can pick to fight alongside you in trial by combat in another personal story. Hell, he even tried to save Queen Jennah in the living story, albeit in a flashy cheesy manner.

Logan
He’s a competent fighter (/Guardian), despite the way he often dies in dungeons or whatever. That’s more due to his programming. Before the human and charr treaty, he befriended Rytlock, despite being originally foes with him. He is a character that went from throwing away major responsibilities (originally scout for hire to act against his brother who was former Seraph captain) to champion of the queen. A lot of people blame Logan for always running away or being useless during the battle with Glint.

He and Queen Jennah share some type of bond (likely Mesmer magic on Jennah’s part), that allows her to summon him whenever she wishes. During the battle before Destiny’s Edge broke apart, the Ogre Revolt was happening in Ebonhawke, which was why Jennah summoned Logan. I don’t know if this call can be ignored, it’s not really explained well.
—-
And although not directly related to living story or much of current Guild Wars 2. The stories do have plenty of great male characters (sometimes leads). Dougal Keane, Kranxx (the best of Ghosts of Ascalon besides Killeen), Gullik Oddsson, Cobiah Marriner, Sykox Steamshroud. Hell Captain Magnus was indirectly responsible for the formation of Destiny’s Edge, and has fought in plenty of battles. The battle against Morgus Lethe, defense of Karka, this most recent living story. He’s the current leader of the Lionguard. I can understand why he wouldn’t have much of a more prominent role, he’s probably busy dealing with the city in general most of the time.
—-
Sure there has been a great female focus, and there have been great female characters (opinion based). But the game and most recent lore have not been without great male characters.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

(edited by Sera.6539)

in Living World

Posted by: Yinello.7068

Yinello.7068

There are so many games where there are always way more men than women as main characters. I like that for once there are more women. If they add more characters, they should have a reason to be there, not just because people are not used to seeing less men running around.

Ginni Gruesome, Necromancer of the College of Synergetics

in Living World

Vexander.9850

There are so many games where there are always way more men than women as main characters. I like that for once there are more women. If they add more characters, they should have a reason to be there, not just because people are not used to seeing less men running around.

To be fair, in a lot of games where there are more men than women, the women still come across as strong, well defined, and are generally fan favorites. Look at World of Warcraft. The cast of characters has got to be 90% male but the favorite characters who everyone likes most are:

Tyrande Whisperwind
Jaina Proudmoore
Sylvanas Windrunner
Joanna Blueheart
Sky Admiral Cathrine Rogers

Meanwhile the male characters are often hated and despised almost universally by the fanbase. Characters like Garrosh, Thrall, and Varian are hated by so many people for so many different reasons its laughable. Then the remaining cast of male Lore Figure characters are generally forgotten, underused, and rarely developed.

So, I’ll agree with others. It isn’t necessarily the -number- of male and female characters which is important, but their characterization, their development, and so forth. As it is, these days games generally include prominent and strong female characters in them. ESO coming up has an entire faction led by a Queen. The Cyrodiil Empire was founded by a woman, and her bloodline is the legitimate one blessed by a higher power.

The Industry has gotten a lot better on introducing more female characters, and well developed ones at that. Once upon a time, Video Games were a boy’s passtime. A girl who played video games was a minority. Then the gaming industry woke up and started making games for girls, and aside from some sexist games at the beginning, they’ve come to realize boys and girls generally -like- the same kinds of games and stories. Its taken time, but the Industry has improved, and you can easily see that if you look away from the Quantity of characters and at the Quality.

I would dare say there is not a -single- badly developed female character in Guild Wars 2. They’re all interesting, unique, and strong individuals in their own ways. I really like Taimi and want to see more of her. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t mind seeing a male character who is more than just eye candy for the ladies or a sub-note in their story.

in Living World

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

I don’t really agree with the idea of “keeping score” and clumping all games together as a whole. Saying things like “Well, all these other games have male-heavy casts so this one having a female-heavy cast is good” seems a bit silly and petty, really. I should think games should strive for a balance on an individual basis, rather than pointing at other games and saying “Well we’re just making up for them”.

It’s not a matter of keeping score as much as simply letting there be a female-dominant game once in awhile because they should be allowed to exist. We have plenty of male protagonist based games and stories out there, so having a female heavy one shouldn’t be an issue or require some special balance by affirmative action in order to cancel out female prominence. Not allowing a female dominant game to exist at all because we need to meet a quota of strong males seems at least as petty.

in Living World

Vexander.9850

It’s not a matter of keeping score as much as simply letting there be a female-dominant game once in awhile because they should be allowed to exist. We have plenty of male protagonist based games and stories out there, so having a female heavy one shouldn’t be an issue or require some special balance by affirmative action in order to cancel out female prominence. Not allowing a female dominant game to exist at all because we need to meet a quota of strong males seems at least as petty.

I think the problem people have is not that the game is female dominant. As I posted in another thread, GW2 -should- be female dominant. The setting is very empowering for women.

The problem people have is that there isn’t really a single male character who is as developed as the female characters. Personally, I am -all- for equality between the genders. However, I said -equality-, not reversal.

in Living World

bullyrook.2165

Agreed. I didn’t notice too much of an “imbalance” between genders up until the living story, the only male we have in the main group is Braham. There is nothing “wrong” with this, but it seems unlikely that all the men in Tyria lack spines, talent, and good will.

in Living World

Vexander.9850

Agreed. I didn’t notice too much of an “imbalance” between genders up until the living story, the only male we have in the main group is Braham. There is nothing “wrong” with this, but it seems unlikely that all the men in Tyria lack spines, talent, and good will.

Not only this, but it often feels like the Males are being type casted in a way. -Most- major male lore characters are either Warriors or Guardians it feels like.

Logan – Guardian
Braham – Guardian
Rytlock – Warrior
Faren – Warrior

Its kind of like the writers are telling us the male characters are only good enough to be meat shields, that they’re not smart enough to be an Engineer or an Elementalist or a Mesmer. Especially mesmer to be honest. We’ve got 3 human female Mesmers now who are very prominent in the story (Jennah, Anise, and Kasmeer).

in Living World

bullyrook.2165

Wait, Faren’s a dude? (joking)

in Living World

Leshain.6720

That monotone creep is strange.

To be fair though, his voice actor appeared in the PS Vita exclusive Action RPG “Soul Sacrifice” at least i think it is him, sounds a lot like him except with actual EMOTION and sarcastic wit.

in Living World

Leshain.6720

@panzer

I disagree “mostly” with your post here.

There have been many recent games lately where the cast is either completely dominated by female characters OR at a 90% to 10% ratio.

Some examples are: Drakenguard 3, all the trash XIII games, recent fighting games such as skull girls, many jrpgs that are getting ported to PS3, certain korean based games, etc.

It is getting irritating, though to be fair as long as a game doesn’t force me to play a woman thats fine (They’re fun to play sometimes but i never main a female in any rpg type game, just to change things up a bit), which is why i give gw2 and the devs credit for that, but my main class mesmer is always 100% of the time, represented by a female in many of the stories.

Jus’ sayin, they need to show some level of balance, the gameplay is fun sometimes when no zerg train is involved, but cannot get into a story with nothing but ladies completely dominating everything.

To be fair, if they can design and write in at least one ~Just ONE~ stylish, kitten, male protagonist with high focus and screen time on par with marj and kas like someone right outta a action hack n’ slash capcom game, that would be refreshing and welcomed/needed.

(edited by Leshain.6720)

in Living World

Posted by: ShibVicious.9681

ShibVicious.9681

I doubt it. His Wyld Hunt is done. His story has concluded. He can spend the rest of his days relaxing on the beaches of Orr while it slowly returns to life.

I don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t return. After all he is the leader of the Pact. The Pact was put together for the sole purpose of killing the Elder Dragons, and an Elder Dragon has just awoken and is likely going to be our enemy in the next season.

If we are going to be battling an Elder Dragon and Trahearne isn’t involved in some way, shape or form then there is absolutely no hope for the story writers at anet.
A character as important as him can’t just disappear off the face of the world, no matter how much the players wish for it.

in Living World

Posted by: Arkatrine.3182

Arkatrine.3182

Jus’ sayin it kinda ruined the experience for me…

What you mean how nearly every show, movie, video game, book, play, sport, ect. has done for women and girls all these years? I don’t agree with you at all, but I get where you’re coming from and why you’re frustrated. You know, considering this is kind of what I have to deal with on a daily basis with nearly every franchise.

It’s not your fault that the gaming industry has catered to you your whole life, but eventually you need to realize that it DOES cater to you. You are the target demographic. Typically many (not ALL) men don’t even notice when the scales are tipped in their favor because that’s how it’s always been. That’s what’s normal, and now that you’re presented with something that isn’t “normal” it’s strange, it’s frustrating, and you have a hard time relating to the cast.

I get that. But I don’t feel bad for you. I really don’t.

We finally get a story where women get to save the day, without needing to do it for the love of a man, with the help of a man, because a man told them. Where they don’t get to be props in their own story, where they don’t get killed to fuel a man’s story and a man is the bumbling “damsel” in distress. We get a story a woman is a super villain that builds an army, takes over a major city, tries (and succeeds) to wake a dragon and will probably end up indirectly destroying the world.

We finally got that. It might not have been perfect, but we got it and I love it. And you don’t like it because there are too many girls and it’s apparently impossible for you to relate with one. Well I’ll tell you the same thing women get told every time they bring up this same discussion about male dominated games: Deal with it. Get over it. There’s nothing you can do about it. Don’t like it, don’t play it. It makes sense in the lore. Why does it matter? No one’s making you play the game. Life isn’t fair. Stop playing games and get back in the kitchen.

in Living World

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Not only this, but it often feels like the Males are being type casted in a way. -Most- major male lore characters are either Warriors or Guardians it feels like.

Logan – Guardian
Braham – Guardian
Rytlock – Warrior
Faren – Warrior

Its kind of like the writers are telling us the male characters are only good enough to be meat shields, that they’re not smart enough to be an Engineer or an Elementalist or a Mesmer. Especially mesmer to be honest. We’ve got 3 human female Mesmers now who are very prominent in the story (Jennah, Anise, and Kasmeer).

Treherene, the main of the personal story who everyone seems to forget is a necromancer and a scholar. The main reason why he got the job of marshal was due to his knowledge.

Gixx the head of the durmand priory is also male.

Tybalt is an engineer and by far the most popular of the mentors.

Evion isn’t much of fighter but he’s crafty.

Guardians are spell swords, not just meat shields.

Not to mention women being sepllcasters, archers and thieves and men being warriors also comes with the implication that woman should stay at the back and can’t be useful without trickery or unless it’s fantasy world where magic makes up for gender.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

in Living World

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

Why do some guys have so much trouble relating to women, real or fictional? We are people. It will not kill you or hurt you or diminish you to put yourselves in our shoes once in awhile, I promise.

Just people, like you.

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

in Living World

Aedelric.1287

Why do some guys have so much trouble relating to women, real or fictional? We are people. It will not kill you or hurt you or diminish you to put yourselves in our shoes once in awhile, I promise.

Just people, like you.

No I do not find the female leads relatable, but I do not find the males of the living story relatable either.

Do not try making it out as someone elses failing because you personally think they are being closed minded. The whole point of a character being relatable is to have similar aspects to them you find reflected in yourself, obviously hurdle one is race, then sex then personality.

The issue here is variety of characters, literally zero female and male characters I find relatable, Braham himself is a complete idiot. We need some new characters and asking for a new more likable more competent male lead is hardly something to get up in arms about, it is not like anyone is asking for the female leads to be removed.

in Living World

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

Just people, like you.

No I do not find the female leads relatable, but I do not find the males of the living story relatable either.

Do not try making it out as someone elses failing because you personally think they are being closed minded. The whole point of a character being relatable is to have similar aspects to them you find reflected in yourself, obviously hurdle one is race, then sex then personality.

The issue here is variety of characters, literally zero female and male characters I find relatable, Braham himself is a complete idiot. We need some new characters and asking for a new more likable more competent male lead is hardly something to get up in arms about, it is not like anyone is asking for the female leads to be removed.

Oh but they are. In the last week alone I have seen posts stating that ‘Marjory should have been a man’ and that ‘Marjory should be killed off and replaced with a man to hook up with Kasmeer.’ And if you look further up in this very thread you will find people admitting that they have trouble relating to female characters and can only connect with a very select few who meet their exacting specifications, when I would put real money on them not having any problem with playing games featuring Generic Bearded White Dude #17.

If you don’t have a problem relating to women, then you don’t have a problem relating to women, and it’s not about you. But trust me, plenty of guys do.

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law